PDA

View Full Version : How a small group of players ruined the EQ2 Economy

RedDread
09-27-2005, 10:20 PM
And got rich doing it!

Very interesting story, and very sickening at how much cash they made exploiting a video game :banghead:

http://plaguelands.com/?page_id=172

Simplex3
09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Anyone dumb enough to spend real $$$ on game $$$ deserves to be ripped off like this. The fact that there is an entire industry centered around this stuff is absurd.

Of course I'd cash in on those tools if I could. It's the American way.

RedDread
09-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Anyone dumb enough to spend real $$$ on game $$$ deserves to be ripped off like this. The fact that there is an entire industry centered around this stuff is absurd.

Of course I'd cash in on those tools if I could. It's the American way.

Mos Def, if I ever found a way to dupe in WoW I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There is a huge amount of cash flowing in and around these games right now, and if you can get on the gravy train, go for it.

htismaqe
09-28-2005, 07:32 AM
There's always stuff like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4272418.stm

I'm playing Dungeon Siege 2 right now, OFFLINE, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Lzen
09-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Unbelieveable. This sounds like Ray Liotta's character in Goodfellas describing his gangster life.

cdcox
09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Interesting read -- and I never play on-line games.

Lzen
09-28-2005, 01:59 PM
I played EQ on the PS2 (latest version was Frontiers) and I know that we had some players that cheated the system and got rich by duping. Of course, they all got banned.

Boozer
09-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Interesting read -- and I never play on-line games.

Agreed. One thing that struck me as odd...The tone used by players talking to each other in the game (Never mind the 12-year-old-girl-on-AOL-use-of-"ur"...I'm talking about the tone). People would demand "Sell me some of ur dogs." Is that common in these games? In real life, I would never walk up to someone with five dogs on leashes and say, "Hey, buddy...sell me one of those! Now, goddamnit!"

|Zach|
09-28-2005, 02:54 PM
If anyone wants to buy a dog drop me a PM. I have 36 hanging out in my profile page and rep page.

Saulbadguy
09-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Agreed. One thing that struck me as odd...The tone used by players talking to each other in the game (Never mind the 12-year-old-girl-on-AOL-use-of-"ur"...I'm talking about the tone). People would demand "Sell me some of ur dogs." Is that common in these games? In real life, I would never walk up to someone with five dogs on leashes and say, "Hey, buddy...sell me one of those! Now, goddamnit!"
Back in the good ole days of MMORPG's, i'd just kill the guy with the dogs, and take his dogs. (PKing). Now they've pussified the games so people can be safe from PKers. Sucks.

Cochise
09-28-2005, 03:57 PM
This happens in all these types of games. There were similar exploits in EQ1 and DAOC. In EQ2 it seems they can track coin better and delete the fraudulently generated money.

I'm glad I didn't get sucked back into that crap agian.

Cochise
09-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Back in the good ole days of MMORPG's, i'd just kill the guy with the dogs, and take his dogs. (PKing). Now they've pussified the games so people can be safe from PKers. Sucks.

That would have helped a lot. Not just with fraud like this but with cheesers and griefers too.

Saulbadguy
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Heh. I was more of a griefer. In UO i'd hide, and block people from getting out of dungeon rooms, and i'd keep shutting the door when they'd try to open it. Eventually a silver serpent or lich lord would catch up with them, and they'd die. Loot!

Ultra Peanut
09-28-2005, 07:34 PM
This is why I like CoH... there are no required timesinks, "looting" only comes in the form of random and anonymous drops after foes are defeated, and the only spawn camping that goes on is for the occasional giant monster.

The biggest problem the game has?

Tsoo Ink Men congest hallways with their bathroom lines.

Darkwolfe
09-28-2005, 09:54 PM
This is why I like CoH... there are no required timesinks, "looting" only comes in the form of random and anonymous drops after foes are defeated, and the only spawn camping that goes on is for the occasional giant monster.

The biggest problem the game has?

Tsoo Ink Men congest hallways with their bathroom lines.

Same reason I play CoH. It's a great game for the casual player.

Sorry Saul, I can't stand online griefers. Why in the world would you want to do that?

KC Jones
09-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Ya know, I like RTS, RPG, FPS, etc. but when it comes to MMORPG I've never really enjoyed it. It amazes me that they are so popular - especially after learning what timesinks are. However there's no denying that they are incredibly popular - I remember running over to buy a copy of BF2 when it first came out and the very cute 17 year old girl at the counter started asking me all about gaming and telling me about her love for WOW. Seems like a lot of people that wouldn't normally game really fall in love with this genre.

Saulbadguy
09-29-2005, 05:53 AM
Sorry Saul, I can't stand online griefers. Why in the world would you want to do that?
I'm a closet asshole. In real life, i'd give you the shirt off my back if you needed it, but online, i'll kill you, steal your dogs, and loot your corpse. :evil:

KC Jones
09-29-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm a closet asshole. In real life, i'd give you the shirt off my back if you needed it, but online, i'll kill you, steal your dogs, and loot your corpse. :evil:

Careful - we all know that playing violent video games leads to real life violence. Soon you'll be looting and murdering in New Orleans if you're not careful. Or even worse - you'll be 'duping' songs and sharing them via P2P networks.

;)

Lzen
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM

While I don't agree with people like this guy who screw the system and ruin the game economy, I still think griefers are much worse. Some people are there to have fun and enjoy the game. It is no fun to have to grind your XP back up because someone thought it would be cute to run a train through your camp. I never understood why someone would intentionally look to ruin other people's fun.

Saulbadguy
09-29-2005, 09:40 AM
While I don't agree with people like this guy who screw the system and ruin the game economy, I still think griefers are much worse. Some people are there to have fun and enjoy the game. It is no fun to have to grind your XP back up because someone thought it would be cute to run a train through your camp. I never understood why someone would intentionally look to ruin other people's fun.
I griefed with a purpose..loot. I rarely griefed just to watch people die. Although that had a certain fun to it as well, I always did it for the purpose of taking their shit. So, I wasn't just out to ruin peoples fun. I was out for the loot.

Lzen
09-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I griefed with a purpose..loot. I rarely griefed just to watch people die. Although that had a certain fun to it as well, I always did it for the purpose of taking their shit. So, I wasn't just out to ruin peoples fun. I was out for the loot.

Well, I guess it depends on the game. In EQOA on the PS2, you couldn't take their loot if they died. IIRC, loot was still on the player when they reappeared but you would lose half the money you were carrying. It was always a good idea to bank your $$$. But there were players that would kill people simply to kill them. I just don't get that. I figure they must be pretty sad individuals to derive pleasure from other's pain.

htismaqe
09-29-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm still playing Dungeon Siege 2 offline, and I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. :D

Saulbadguy
09-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, I guess it depends on the game. In EQOA on the PS2, you couldn't take their loot if they died. IIRC, loot was still on the player when they reappeared but you would lose half the money you were carrying. It was always a good idea to bank your $$$. But there were players that would kill people simply to kill them. I just don't get that. I figure they must be pretty sad individuals to derive pleasure from other's pain.
This was back in the days of Ultima Online, when it was good. I wouldn't kill noobs unless they had good stuff on them, which they usually didn't.

Of course, its a ROLE PLAYING Game. You play a role of a person you'd like to play, not necessarily who you are in real life. If people want to go around killing noobs for the fun of it, why not? If anything, it made you fear for your characters life when you walked outside of town.

Then they seperated the worlds so all the pansies got to be on their own "world" where you could not attack another person. Of course thats where most everyone went. :rolleyes:

Otter
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
OK, I don't care if I sound stupid, I'm not going back and reading that again.

How did he dupe the stuff? By setting it on the floor?!?!?

Cochise
09-29-2005, 05:13 PM

It was a bug that resulted in duplicate items that has since been fixed.

RedDread
09-29-2005, 07:40 PM

Basically from what I gathered a seller would place an item in his house, then auction it, while leaving the sell window open. This caused the item to get duped, basically the buyer would have a copy and the seller would retain his.

Otter
09-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Basically from what I gathered a seller would place an item in his house, then auction it, while leaving the sell window open. This caused the item to get duped, basically the buyer would have a copy and the seller would retain his.

That makes a more sense. I've never played the game and couldn't make heads or tails what he was talking about with some of those details.

Thanks.