PDA

View Full Version : Cherished notions undergoing re-evaluation.

Gaz
09-18-2000, 09:05 AM
THE COACHES:

Gunther actually opened up the Offense. Just when I had decided that I could not believe any of his promises, he delivered.

Raye called a great game. I am going to assume that the game plan was not just Grbac audiblizing [see, I can give Raye the benefit of the doubt]. If we continue to see a nice mix of pass and run and, as long as Raye does not revert to his previous Stooge patterns, I would have to reconsider his firing.

Schottenheimer. As much as I want to be fair, I still cannot forgive him for throwing away the Titans game. Perhaps my bitterness will fade with time and I can eventually say something nice about him.

xoxo~
gaz
still uneasy, but willing and eager to be convinced.<BR>

Gaz
09-18-2000, 09:05 AM
THE PLAYERS:

Grbac played a great game. He took command of the team, audibling at the line of scrimmage. He looked off defenders and did not follow his receiver down the field. His passes were [with a couple of exceptions] crisp and sharp. And he discovered his poise after a shaky start, including an INT that I would have to characterize as “vintage Grbac.’ If he can continue to play at or even near this level, I will have to reconsider him as our QBOTF.

Williams actually earned his money on Sunday. Of course, he still owes us some tremendous performances after last season, but against the Chargers, he looked like the guy Carl caved for.

Browning played a great game and after three games is not on IR.

Cloud is not our HBOTF. I had visions of him and Richardson as the red & gold version of Alstott and Dunn, but the HB position clearly belongs to Moreau.

Parker may not be the WR and PR I hoped. He has had sufficient chances to prove himself and has failed. I am not ready to write him off, but I am questioning my support for him.

xoxo~
gaz
much more at ease with the players.<BR>

ChiTown
09-18-2000, 09:24 AM
Gaz

It's tough analyzing from the easy chair, since we don't see everthing on the sidelines. However, there seemed to be so much less confusion amongst the players and coaches yesterday that it almost looked like they had a method to their madness. This had not been the case in the last 2 games.

The big difference looked to be in the execution. The offensive and defensive lines executed beautifully yesterday. Pass and running routes looked more crisp. The DB's made some big plays. ST's played very well yesterday execpt our return teams (still need a punt returner, IMO).

So, I don't know if it was players finally executing assignments or coaches finally able to figure out assignments that could be executed by the personnel. Either way, it worked out in big time fashion. They'll need to do it even better next Sunday, if they want a chance at victory.

58Forever
09-18-2000, 10:01 AM
Gaz, your assessments are accurate and I concur whole heartedly...

Kind of funny to think that TRich will be the change of pace back...I think he's faster than Moreau...

I think Raye answered the bell for sure...SD D isn't the best but it aint bad...I too may rethink my attitude about Raye...

Clould did impress my on a couple of runs especially the one where he was hit for 1 yard gain, bounced off the defender and picked up 3 more...still have to put him at #2 on the HB chart and #3 overall...

Grbac, what can you say...a career game, the first of many I hope...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

58Forever
09-18-2000, 10:33 AM
If Gun doesn't make sure TRich gets the ball more then he's blind...the run which he broke for about 17 yards, where he wouldn't go down and then the first down where he leaped over the guy at the 10...TRich is the most determined guy I've seen next to Alstott...he refuses to say no...I can think of a couple of times last year where he made first downs when it looked like he should be stopped...the Minnesota game comes to mind when he caught the screen that kept the game winning drive alive....

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

TheFly
09-18-2000, 10:54 AM
I am not yet willing to give Gun any credit. I don't think he has any clues about offense.

As far as JR... Was it JR or was it Elvis? I am under the impression that Elvis called a LOT of audibles during the game... If so, I give the Chiefs offense credit for being fed up and taking the play calling into their own hands...

Don't bestow honor upon coaches who have clearly established a pattern of very poor calls...<BR>

ck_IN
09-18-2000, 11:01 AM
I love this.

Last year about this time we were discussing the merits of leashing EG. Now were discussing the merits of EG leashing Raye. *LOL*

Gaz
09-18-2000, 11:27 AM
Fly-

Raye’s history is the reason I have a hard time giving up the “cherished belief” that Raye is unqualified as OC. But if he continues to call games like yesterday, I will have to rethink that one. I am pleased that Grbac took control and audibled some plays. Even so, Raye looked at what the Chargers were doing and created mismatches. I am still firmly on the “dump Raye” bandwagon, but he could change my mind if he performes consistently like he did yesterday.

xoxo~
gaz
struggling manfully to keep and open mind on Raye.<BR>

Idaho Chief
09-18-2000, 11:36 AM
I remember just before the 2 min warning at the half that the announcers said that Grbac was going to get to call the plays for the 2 min drill and that this would be the first time that he got the chance.

I think he only got to call 3 plays because the 3rd one was a TOUCHDOWN MORRIS!! (it might have been 4 plays, I'll go back and look at the tape).

Anyhoo, I really like the plays that he called they were all down the field. It was a very nice change.

I say let Grbac call the entire offense!!

------------------
GO CHIEFS!!!!

Gaz
09-18-2000, 11:51 AM
ck_IN-

What a long, strange trip, huh?

xoxo~
gaz
thinks irony can be quite tasty.<BR>

kcred
09-18-2000, 11:52 AM
I don't care what they done yesterday, unless they go 10-6, or better, win a playoff game, I still would like to see Guns and crew fired. Actually, irregardless of what they do, I would like to see him and the rest fired. We may show some brilliance this season, in spite of them, not because of them.

ck_IN
09-18-2000, 11:59 AM
Thanks Gaz, now I have this vision in my head of an earring wearing engineer riding his bike to a Grateful Dead concert.

Say it aint so Gaz! *L*

Mult9
09-18-2000, 12:00 PM
Let's be excited about the win, but....

This was against San Diego, one of the worst in the league. (Ratings about to get worse.)

Let's see how they stack up against the Donks. Even though they were losses the first two games were not without some bright spots...the games did end!

As Doris would say: Que Sera......<P>

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-18-2000, 12:36 PM
I don't think one game is enough to redeem JR, or Gun. JR has shown us many times that he's not good enough. Gun is responsible for not firing him or the other stooges.

If EG *was* doing lots of audibles and changing running plays to pass plays, he's not gonna be able to do that next week. They'll be in Mile High and no one will be able to hear him.

I think that, come this time next week, most people will be calling for JR's head again.

I know *I* will be, whether we win or lose. JR has got to go. As does Gun.

Desert Chief
09-18-2000, 12:55 PM
If they keep the philosophy in-line with the game plan, we have a chance to upset the Bumcos at Pile High.

Let's work on getting rid of the dreaded "RBBC" moniker for our running game.

<BR>

AZChief
09-18-2000, 03:08 PM
To add to Gaz's player list:

Dennis: got lucky on the deep drop by Conway but made an awesome play knocking down the quick hitch. Tackled much better than Warfield and seemed to be more aware of his
surroundings.

O'Neal: made two nice special team tackles.

Saurbraun: finally gave us the punts we longed for. Man, those were blasts yesterday.

Morris: no comment required.

OLine: great pass protection, opened nice holes and moved the pile at the end of the game. Tait looks so poised for a newbie. Willis and Blackshear are continuing to gel with our line.

Bush: finally made his presence felt. I'm glad his family is back in KC with him. The INT was karma kicking the bolts in the a$$.

DLine: six sacks, 'nuff said!

Wesley: this kid hits HARD! I already like him better than Tongue.

I give props to Gunther. I've probably been the Chiefs harshest critic regarding playing their draft picks. Well, our '00 picks are really making an impact and I'm thrilled.

AZ <BR>

kcred
09-18-2000, 04:02 PM
Speaking of drafts the past two years, our latest crop is A one. However, with the exception of Tait, has anything emerged from 99.

Logical
09-18-2000, 04:26 PM
Parker, Cloud, and Stills are all beginning to get some playing time but probably not as much as the rookies. Still, having 4 players getting time is not terrible from a draft, with one a major factor in our o-line play and looking as if he will be dominant for years to come. Still early to judge that draft.

------------------
Jim Reynolds
Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

One Arrowhead Dave
09-18-2000, 04:33 PM
JRaye, Schottenheimer....forget about it

Sly stepped up, Elvis played tough, the D-line stepped up too etc - that is the difference.

[This message has been edited by Best-in-West (edited 09-18-2000).]