PDA

View Full Version : router question please help

schneider221
09-28-2005, 10:40 PM
im sick of switching my ethernet cord around so i was wanting to get a router so i can have my internet always hooked up to my PS2. i dont need a wireless one just one that will get the job. the thing im not sure about is when i split the connection between the 2 things are they going to run slower is both are in use, also do the cheap routers still have a fast connection on the ps2 online or do you need a nicer router to get a fast connection...not to familiar with this stuff...if it means anything i have comcast high speed internet

Phobia
09-28-2005, 10:51 PM
You won't notice a slower connection, IMO. A broadband cable connection has plenty of speed to run a PS2 and a computer. Most of your routers you buy today will have at least 100 BMPS for all ethernet ports. You don't need to spend a lot of money on a router.

I actually have an almost new linksys (wireless) I'll let go for the right price. I switched to SWB DSL recently and they sent a combo routers/firewall/modem.

KC Jones
09-28-2005, 10:55 PM
A shared connection is... well shared. If both are pulling a heavy load you will notice the degradation in your connection speed. Just having them both connected will not cause you to suffer (Unless of course your PC is plastered with spyware or is a zonmbie and constantly using up your bandwidth). Some routers (gaming routers) will allow you to prioritize different clients over other for bandwidth access.

As for the speed of the router itself - you really won't need to worry about that unless you go wireless. If you're using a cable or dsl modem I'm surprised it doesn't come with more than 1 port.

schneider221
09-28-2005, 11:05 PM
You won't notice a slower connection, IMO. A broadband cable connection has plenty of speed to run a PS2 and a computer. Most of your routers you buy today will have at least 100 BMPS for all ethernet ports. You don't need to spend a lot of money on a router.

I actually have an almost new linksys (wireless) I'll let go for the right price. I switched to SWB DSL recently and they sent a combo routers/firewall/modem.

how much is the right price....and how hard is it to set up a wireless router to a ps2, it would require a network card wouldnt it?....and do wireless routers have any problems with interferance?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=cat01029

of the ones listed there do you think the $39 one would work

btw thanks for all the help rep to both of you

Phobia
09-28-2005, 11:29 PM
The right price is $50. That's basically $20 off what I paid.

Any one of those should work for you. I always buy Linksys because I've never had a problem. In fact, I gave a Linksys to Angel a while back. It was 5+ years old and still running strong.

They're not hard to setup. The ps2 will definitely require a network card. I don't understand your wireless question.

OldTownChief
09-29-2005, 05:56 AM
how much is the right price....and how hard is it to set up a wireless router to a ps2, it would require a network card wouldnt it?....and do wireless routers have any problems with interferance?

Your PS2 should already have a network card. The Linksys that Phil is selling will probably go both ways...wired/wireless. So no, you dont need a wireless card for the PS2. I assume that was your question.

Lzen
09-29-2005, 09:12 AM

It probably has a few wired ports as well as being wireless. For instance, I have a Xterasys wireless router. It has 4 ports for normal wired routing and it also has wireless. So, I could run 4 PCs through the wired ports and several more PCs over the wireless network.

Since you said you switch your ethernet cable, I assume you already have a network card for your PC and a network adaptor for your PS2. You should not have to buy anthing else. Just hook up your PS2 to one of the wired ports and the PC to another of the wired ports. Unless, of course, your PC and PS2 are in different locations. In which case you would probably need a wireless adaptor. They can run as low as about $20 on Newegg.

Lzen
09-29-2005, 09:17 AM
BTW, on that link you posted from Best Buy, they list a D-Link brand DI-604 4 port router. Stay away from this one. I had that same router and had problems running the PS2 through it. It was not designed for running aconsole gaming system through it.

htismaqe
09-29-2005, 10:59 AM
What he's talking about is a wireless bridge for his PS2.

The make wireless adapters for PS2/Xbox that plug into the ethernet port on the console but connect via wireless to the router.