PDA

View Full Version : Have you pre-ordered yet? Civilization 4 out 10/24

Saulbadguy
09-29-2005, 12:30 PM
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255945.asp

I can't wait.

Amnorix
09-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Ditto. I don't play much in the way of computer games -- with a wife and 2 kids free time is very limited, but Civ has been one of my favorites going all the way back to the original Civilization.

No, not the computer game -- the BOARD game. Then Advanced Civ. Then the computer game Civ's.

The only computer games I have played much of since leaving college about 15 years ago have been the Warcraft/StarCraft games and the Civs.

Saulbadguy
09-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Amnorix, check out this video.

You'll like it..

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/620/620513/vids_1.html

Pants
09-30-2005, 07:28 AM
I'll pre-order it if I decide it's worth it. I heard my friend was going to use bit torrent if he decided he wanted the game. :shrug:

MadMax
10-01-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/255945.asp

I can't wait.

Me neither :) Started for me with Civ1 on Commodore 64 then Amiga LOL...Sid Mier Rocks!!!

RedDread
10-02-2005, 07:47 AM
is this gonna be real time or turn based?

Pants
10-03-2005, 01:06 AM
is this gonna be real time or turn based?

Turn based.

David.
10-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I'll pre-order it if I decide it's worth it. I heard my friend was going to use bit torrent if he decided he wanted the game. :shrug:

yeah i've got a "friend" who is going to get it off BT too :)

Saulbadguy
10-06-2005, 03:59 PM
BT=won't get all the pretty things that comes with it. Cheapskates.

Pants
10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
BT=won't get all the pretty things that comes with it. Cheapskates.

Oh yeah? I've heard you get everything with it. I'm pretty sure my friend told me you can get the whole DVD/CD image/s.

Rain Man
10-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Ditto. I don't play much in the way of computer games -- with a wife and 2 kids free time is very limited, but Civ has been one of my favorites going all the way back to the original Civilization.

No, not the computer game -- the BOARD game. Then Advanced Civ. Then the computer game Civ's.

The only computer games I have played much of since leaving college about 15 years ago have been the Warcraft/StarCraft games and the Civs.

You played the board game? The one where you traded things like timber and grain and stuff? I loved that game. The only problem was getting together enough players for a long enough time to finish it.

cookster50
10-06-2005, 07:00 PM
I got it pre-ordered. Would rather have waited and only paid $39.99 for the reg version, but I got it pre-ordered as a gift, so no complaints.

Saulbadguy
10-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah? I've heard you get everything with it. I'm pretty sure my friend told me you can get the whole DVD/CD image/s.
I meant like the book and poster and crap. And the pretty box.

NewChief
10-06-2005, 08:15 PM
You played the board game? The one where you traded things like timber and grain and stuff? I loved that game. The only problem was getting together enough players for a long enough time to finish it.

I miss all those old games, like Axis and Allies. I had some pirate game like that as well. Then there was that Settlers of Something (Cathan?) game, too. I always loved geeky games like that (and roleplaying games), but my social circles and religious family kept me from really getting to play them. I bought Battletech and played it by myself because I could never find any friends willing to sit down and learn it with me. When the computer came along it was a beautiful thing because I could play all those game without having to depend on other people to play.

Saulbadguy
10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Yep. All those board games would end up at 3:00 am with someone saying "**** THIS GAME!"

David.
10-07-2005, 02:21 PM
I meant like the book and poster and crap. And the pretty box.

haha

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Yep. A very good game. Advanced Civ with 7 (IIRC) people was usually a good 10+ hour game, even when everyone was reasonably experienced. The advent of spreadsheets/laptops to help track deductions and calculate purchase cost of new advances helped considerably, but still...

And yes, I think we've just confirmed our massive geekdom! :D

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
I miss all those old games, like Axis and Allies. I had some pirate game like that as well. Then there was that Settlers of Something (Cathan?) game, too. I always loved geeky games like that (and roleplaying games), but my social circles and religious family kept me from really getting to play them. I bought Battletech and played it by myself because I could never find any friends willing to sit down and learn it with me. When the computer came along it was a beautiful thing because I could play all those game without having to depend on other people to play.

Axis and Allies was a good starter game. As of a couple years ago there was an excellent online method of playing, where you can send maps back and forth by email, roll dice online with the results sent by email by the automated program, and a website dedicated to this whole thing. I just looked up the links (was going to post them here for you), but they seem to be dead, too bad. A&A's main problem was that it was just too imbalanced. Once the Allies had perfected their strategy, it was nearly impossible for Axis to win, even if you used the optional rules like Russia Restricted, Advanced Fighters for Germany and SuperSubs for Japan.

Settlers of Cataan is the game you're thinking of, which is a superb game. Original "Die Siedler" (think that's right), a German game. There were quite a few "expansions" or variants that they came out with. Nurnberg, Stahrenfehrer (sp?) (a space-based game), and a few others. All very high quality.

I played board game BattleTech as well. We even got into designing our own mechs. Usually played 1:1 with a max. weight of like 250 tons spread across 4 mechs, or something like that (it was 10+ years ago now). I still remember loving the Gauss Rifle on a super-heavy mech.

SFB (Star Fleet Battles), Titan, Advanced Civ, etc. If it was a hard-core board strategy game that was around 10 years ago, I played it. Only except was ASL (Advanced Squad Leader). Never got into that one for whatever reason (the 500 page rulebook or whatever might be part of it...).

At this point, with wife and 2 kids, I'm reduced to my every-other-week roleplaying game.

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 03:04 PM

One more thing -- if you can find TWO other people, then I've got the game for you -- Age of Renaissance. An excellent game with many of the same elements, or the same "feel" as Advanced Civ.

3 players is the absolute minimum, but is very playable. 4 is "not quite" as good a number, and it also is fine for 5 or 6. 4 isn't ideal because one country (France) is squeezed into kind of a tough situation. Otherwise, it's well-balanced and a superb game.

It is, however, a 6+ hour time commitment, so beware.

dirk digler
10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I am not much into these types of games. I do like Age of Empires though. The new ones is coming out soon.

I like FPS and I am addicted to Battlefield 2.

Bowser
10-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I like FPS and I am addicted to Battlefield 2.

Just picked up Doom: Ressurection of Evil. Looking forward to that one.....

Saulbadguy
10-07-2005, 03:49 PM
:Lin:

Doom 3...worst sequel ever.

I'm wondering what Quake 4 will turn out like.

Bowser
10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
:Lin:

Doom 3...worst sequel ever.

I'm wondering what Quake 4 will turn out like.

Ehh, I liked it.

Quake 4 shouldn't disappoint......

Bowser
10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Ehh, I liked it.

Quake 4 shouldn't disappoint......

...hopefully.

Have you played the fps Area 51? I found it addicting, as well.

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Doom seemed like a fun and interesting game. Unfortunately, after 10 minutes of playing, I inevitably had this little problem:

:Lin: :Lin: :Lin: :Lin: :Lin:

Bowser
10-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Doom seemed like a fun and interesting game. Unfortunately, after 10 minutes of playing, I inevitably had this little problem:

Damn. Maybe I just need to get out more. It appears I am too easily entertained.

Saulbadguy
10-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Doom 2 was great.

dirk digler
10-07-2005, 04:15 PM

:Lin: :Lin: :Lin: :Lin: :Lin:

Some games, especially Half-life 2, made me sick when playing. I had major motion sickness with HL2. BF2 doesn't do that to me and I could play that game for days.

Rain Man
10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Yep. A very good game. Advanced Civ with 7 (IIRC) people was usually a good 10+ hour game, even when everyone was reasonably experienced. The advent of spreadsheets/laptops to help track deductions and calculate purchase cost of new advances helped considerably, but still...

And yes, I think we've just confirmed our massive geekdom! :D

Wow. Another game geek. Cool.

Like you, I never got into ASL. The game system was too awkward. However, it was fun to cannibalize their maps and use them with the Tobruk game system and game pieces. Tobruk had a wonderful game system after you made a few tweaks to speed it up.

Perhaps my favorite game of all time was a game called Conquistador. It was a three or four player game where you ferried soldiers and settlers to the New World from England, France, Spain, or Portugal. It was a great game design where in the early stages it was all you could do to keep anybody alive, but then as you slowly killed off Indians (sorry about that) and established your foothold, you became stronger and stronger. At that point, you then went around trying to destroy other countries' settlements, mine gold, and other things. I loved that game, but it took about 30 hours to play all the way through.

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 04:53 PM

Like you, I never got into ASL. The game system was too awkward. However, it was fun to cannibalize their maps and use them with the Tobruk game system and game pieces. Tobruk had a wonderful game system after you made a few tweaks to speed it up.

Perhaps my favorite game of all time was a game called Conquistador. It was a three or four player game where you ferried soldiers and settlers to the New World from England, France, Spain, or Portugal. It was a great game design where in the early stages it was all you could do to keep anybody alive, but then as you slowly killed off Indians (sorry about that) and established your foothold, you became stronger and stronger. At that point, you then went around trying to destroy other countries' settlements, mine gold, and other things. I loved that game, but it took about 30 hours to play all the way through.

Gah. Yeah, 30 hours would be a bit excessive. Never tried (or heard of) that one.

I did play some game involving the Rome, where each of us played a Senator or whatever, and you're vying to keep the Republic from being conquered, while seeing if you can't get yourself declared Emperor for various reasons.

errr...."Republic of Rome", I believe.

Long game, but we deemed it unplayable. A cool concept, but after several games it seemed the mechanics just didn't work too well.

Pants
10-07-2005, 05:49 PM
haha

lol

keg in kc
10-08-2005, 12:23 AM
I just can't get into RTS games.

I'll tell you what I'm waiting for: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl.

Rausch
10-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I still haven't won a game of Civ III on any difficulty level higher than the third one.

I'm still addicted to it...

Boozer
10-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the insight into what nerds did before the advent of the Internet.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Released TODAY!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/660/660495p1.html

IGN gives it a 9.4

I'm picking up my copy here in a few hours. I can't friggin wait.

David.
10-25-2005, 11:58 AM
I just can't get into RTS games.

I'll tell you what I'm waiting for: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl.

oh that looks AMAZING.

Iowanian
10-25-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm interested for a report....it sounds like a good time killer in Jan-feb through the winter doldrums.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Apparently it was not released today. FOILED again by EBGames. The drone behind the counter said "its always been set for the 26th." The site always said the 24th. Oh well, I didn't have the time nor patience to argue. I'll pick it up tommorow.

listopencil
10-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the insight into what nerds did before the advent of the Internet.

Nah, not just "nerds". When I was in the Navy we used to play pen and paper RPG's. If you end up with a group of people and lots of time to kill you have to come up with something interesting to do other than sitting around and making fun of each other.

Boozer
10-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Nah, not just "nerds". When I was in the Navy we used to play pen and paper RPG's. If you end up with a group of people and lots of time to kill you have to come up with something interesting to do other than sitting around and making fun of each other.

OK, I stand corrected. Nerds and sailors who haven't seen a woman in weeks. ;)

Saulbadguy
10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
I guess at my local EBGames, "pre-order" doesn't actually mean jack shit. ****ers. I'm going back tommorow when the ****ing place opens.

Saulbadguy
10-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Holy shit. I finally got it. I've played it a couple hours, and already there are quite a few features I LOVE about Civ IV.

1. Units gain experience. You can "promote them" in certain areas, such as city defense, strength, and special abilities (jungle defense/offense, mountain defense/offense, first strike). I don't know if there is still the "conscript/regular/veteran/elite" system, but I don't think there is. You gain XP after battles and such.

2. Religion. It's just cool. Certain religions give bonuses. If you are a religion, some other civs will look down upon you for having that religion.

3. Tasks seem much less tedious as they did in Civ 3. I often found myself repeating things in 3, and taking care of minor annoyances. Civ IV seems to flow better.

I am really pondering calling in sick tommorow...

cookster50
10-27-2005, 08:48 PM
I enjoy it so far, though it is messed up on my laptop, I have black terrain. So, I never know what the terrain is. However, I can zoom out and see the terrain, just not at a playable level. Apparently a lot of ATI cards have the same problem. They shouldn't have released it early.

Saulbadguy
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm not having any problems, on an ATI 9800 AIW. :shrug:

cookster50
10-27-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm not having any problems, on an ATI 9800 AIW. :shrug:
Works fine for my desktop also, though it is an nVidia. Was looking at a website, I think civfanatics.com, and a lot of people had problems with black terrain.

Kclee
10-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Damn, I've been waiting for this to come out. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier, I would be playing right now. I remember skipping class all day in college to play the first one, and they have been getting better with each one. Thank you Saul.

cookster50
10-27-2005, 09:41 PM
This game is different though, different strategy. You won't have 500 million cities, only 5-10.

Taco John
10-28-2005, 05:09 AM
Civ is the single greatest PC game of all time.

I said it.

Pants
10-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Civ is the single greatest PC game of all time.

I said it.

You say a lot of things.

It's a fairly well known fact that Half-Life (2) is the single greatest PC game of all time.

Saulbadguy
10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Holy shit. I finally got it. I've played it a couple hours, and already there are quite a few features I LOVE about Civ IV.

1. Units gain experience. You can "promote them" in certain areas, such as city defense, strength, and special abilities (jungle defense/offense, mountain defense/offense, first strike). I don't know if there is still the "conscript/regular/veteran/elite" system, but I don't think there is. You gain XP after battles and such.

2. Religion. It's just cool. Certain religions give bonuses. If you are a religion, some other civs will look down upon you for having that religion.

3. Tasks seem much less tedious as they did in Civ 3. I often found myself repeating things in 3, and taking care of minor annoyances. Civ IV seems to flow better.

I am really pondering calling in sick tommorow...
#4. Civics system. Here is a snippit from CivIV Fanatics..

Civics

The fixed governments are now replaced by a much more flexible Civics system, somewhat similar to the social engineering system in Alpha Centauri. The new system allows you to customize your government with various civics options that are classified into five categories: Government, Legal, Labor, Economy, and Religion. There are five options in each category. Players are free to choose any combination of civics. Some of the known civics are Free Market, Environmentalism, Slavery, Serfdom, Free Speech, Conscription, Emancipation, and Nationhood. Civics options are unlocked through research.

Mark M
11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
You know, I've got Civ III a few years ago and am just not all that impressed. Maybe it's because I don't have the free time to devote to it.

So, no, I won't be getting IV.

MM
~~:shrug:

Coach
12-27-2005, 05:43 PM
All righty folks. I'd like some input on this game. I'm seriously pondering on getting this game. Is it worth the money? Would I be addicted to playing this game? What are the system requirements?

cookster50
12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
All righty folks. I'd like some input on this game. I'm seriously pondering on getting this game. Is it worth the money? Would I be addicted to playing this game? What are the system requirements?
I'd pass, especially since it is still $50.

To take full advantage of the game, you need a good computer with atleast 1 gig ram and a 256 meg video card with T&L. If you don't have that, you can't play pretty much anything other than a small map.

Saulbadguy
12-27-2005, 09:13 PM
It's ****ing awesome.

I'm not sure on the system requirements. I have a 3.0 GHZ P4, gig of ram, and an ATI 9800 Pro..and it runs great.

Cochise
12-28-2005, 01:49 AM
I picked up Civ 3 a couple of years ago and played it until my eyes melted. So should I get Civ 4 or will this one ruin my life too?

Taco John
12-28-2005, 02:02 AM
I just got it for Christmas along with RollerCoaster Tycoon Gold. These are the only two PC games I'll need for the rest of the year.

Count Alex's Losses
12-28-2005, 02:35 AM
I just can't get into RTS.

Pants
12-28-2005, 06:24 AM
I just can't get into RTS.

None of the Civ games are.

cookster50
12-28-2005, 08:45 AM
None of the sequels come close to the original. Civ IV isn't bad, I just couldn't get into it.

Count Alex's Losses
12-30-2005, 03:20 AM
None of the Civ games are.

Uh...so what are they?

Pants
12-30-2005, 03:43 AM
Uh...so what are they?

RTS = Real Time Strategy

Civ = turnbased

Completely different, you don't have to think on the go, no micro management, slow paced, no battles, everything is done by the computer except for the big decisions.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I picked up Civ 3 a couple of years ago and played it until my eyes melted.

ROFL ROFL

Taco John
01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Yep. It pretty much kicks ass. The new civics system is cool. And just like the originals, I can easily sit for hours upon hours with no regard for time planning my enemies demise.

Taco John
01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I enjoy it so far, though it is messed up on my laptop, I have black terrain. So, I never know what the terrain is. However, I can zoom out and see the terrain, just not at a playable level. Apparently a lot of ATI cards have the same problem. They shouldn't have released it early.

There's a patch out that fixes this.

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 12:31 AM
RTS = Real Time Strategy

Civ = turnbased

Completely different, you don't have to think on the go, no micro management, slow paced, no battles, everything is done by the computer except for the big decisions.

OK...now I'm interested. I may download it.

Iowanian
03-23-2006, 03:28 PM
So....
Whats the longterm ruling on this game?

I'm pondering it now. Anyone Tired of it and ready to sell for half price?

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 03:51 PM
It's very good. I haven't played it as much as I should have - been busy with wedding stuff, and other various crap. I'm probably going to have a Civ4 marathon tonight though...

Mr. Laz
03-23-2006, 04:33 PM
So....

i'm interested on how civ 4 compares to 2 and 3?

Saulbadguy
03-23-2006, 04:37 PM
i'm interested on how civ 4 compares to 2 and 3?
Much better.

Iowanian
03-23-2006, 07:21 PM
that..is all I need to know.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2006, 03:09 PM
OK...now I'm interested. I may download it.
I wouldn't recommend it

you really need to book for the game ......... at least you did in 2 and 3.

it gives you reference material for the researching etc.

Saulbadguy
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I remember on the old civilization, they would make you answer a question that you HAD to have the book for. It would show you a picture of the civ advancement and you had to tell it which advancements were required for that particular advancement. If you answered incorrectly, it would take all your military units away.

dr00d
03-25-2006, 09:48 PM
I remember on the old civilization, they would make you answer a question that you HAD to have the book for. It would show you a picture of the civ advancement and you had to tell it which advancements were required for that particular advancement. If you answered incorrectly, it would take all your military units away.

original civ did that (dos version) and it wouldn't just take your military units away, it would just ruin the game if I remember correctly, either dump you out or something...

dr00d
03-25-2006, 09:54 PM
So....

If you like the other civ games, this one is a must...I have played through it probably 40 times or more :)

I finally took a break and started playing another game so I wouldn't have my eyes melt, like the other guy.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
If you like the other civ games, this one is a must...I have played through it probably 40 times or more :)

I finally took a break and started playing another game so I wouldn't have my eyes melt, like the other guy.

how is the game setup ... More like civ 2 or civ 3?

reseach? diplomacy?

Saulbadguy
03-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Research is not as linear. The tree has much more "branches" if you will.

Diplomacy is pretty much the same, IMO. I haven't had anyone declare war on me for no reason, though. Not yet, at least. You will see that people like you/dislike you on what your state religion is (if you have one), and what civics you use...

As for civics, they are like picking and choosing different parts from different governments to implement your own type of government. You no longer choose from Democracy, Depotism, or Republic, you choose Serfdom instead of Slavery, or Free Market instead of Mercantilism. Theocracy instead of Free religion, etc etc. It is awesome.

Fat Elvis
03-27-2006, 09:38 AM
how is the game setup ... More like civ 2 or civ 3?

reseach? diplomacy?

It is very different from both IMO. You don't need a ton of cities to win anymore; in fact, too many cities will get you in trouble as maintainance costs are now a function of the number of cities, thier distance from the capital and the civics you choose (and your number of miltary units). City improvements don't cost any maintanance anymore so the emphasis has shifted from a quantity based civ game to a quality based civ.

Saulbadguy
03-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah - I forgot about that. In Civ 2 and 3, if you didn't have alot of cities early on, you would struggle.

It's the opposite now. I like to start out with 5 or 6 cities, and function like that until I start declaring war. :evil:

Mr. Laz
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
It is very different from both IMO. You don't need a ton of cities to win anymore; in fact, too many cities will get you in trouble as maintainance costs are now a function of the number of cities, thier distance from the capital and the civics you choose (and your number of miltary units). City improvements don't cost any maintanance anymore so the emphasis has shifted from a quantity based civ game to a quality based civ.
hmmm ...

interesting, thanks.

Fat Elvis
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Oh, and another thing...you now create specialty cities. Create a city that is a Great person farm, create another for commerce and research and create another for production; any other cities should be some combo of those.

here is a link to civ fanatics; lots of good overviews and strategy in the forums section for Civ IV.

http://www.civfanatics.com/

Count Alex's Losses
03-27-2006, 11:31 PM
I just got it for Christmas along with RollerCoaster Tycoon Gold. These are the only two PC games I'll need for the rest of the year.

Haha you need two? OBLIVION IS MY NEW GOD!

Iowanian
03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Is Civ going to require a real horse of a pc?

Saulbadguy
03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
What do you got under that thar hood, Iowanian?

I would say it can be graphics intensive, but it is configurable in such a manner that many of the bells and whistles can be disabled.

CHIEF4EVER
03-31-2006, 08:00 PM

Are you kidding? ASL RULED! Of course, this is coming from a previous Infantryman. The huge rulebook made it more difficult to learn but the rules were necessary for realism. Another game that I adored was World In Flames. Another game with massive rules but very playable.