PDA

View Full Version : Now Warfield may not get his starting job back??

Deberg_1990
09-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Crap...i knew this was coming...i predicted here in a thread a few weeks back. DAMNIT DV!!!

CHIEFS NOTEBOOK: Warfield update

The Kansas City Star

Eric Warfield’s suspension is crawling to its final days, and a month ago the Chiefs wondered how they’d live through the first four games without the team’s top man in the secondary from 2004.

Now coach Dick Vermeil is saying that Warfield won’t have his starting job handed to him upon his return.

“Oh sure, there’s competition,” Vermeil said Thursday. “Dexter McCleon isn’t going to surrender. And I don’t know how long it’s going to take Eric Warfield to get back to where he was. The last game he played (in the preseason), he didn’t play very well.

“His frame of mind … he was very disappointed and down about not being able to continue to play. And it affected how he played. But we all know Eric can play and play well when he’s right. I don’t know how long it will take for him to get that way.”

The Chiefs have gone 2-1 without Warfield and have benefited from the offseason acquisitions of cornerback Patrick Surtain and safety Sammy Knight.

Warfield, who received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, has been able to sit in on meetings and work one-on-one with a Chiefs strength and conditioning coach.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12777765.htm

jidar
09-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree with DV on this. Mccleon hasn't looked nearly as bad as last year, and Warfield hasn't done anything since last season. If he wants the job back he has to show he's still better. If he is that will come through in practice and we will see him back the week he returns, otoh if he's a little rusty then he should sit until he gets it back.

jspchief
I didn't expect him to be back at the #2 CB his first game back. He isn't even allowed to practice with the team during his suspension, so I'm sure it will take a little while to get it back.

But if Vermeil thinks he actually has to beat McCleon out of that #2 spot, he is a moron.

Cochise
It sounds to me like he will just have to get in form before they throw him out there. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me to make sure he's in game shape before putting in the starting lineup.

Cormac
09-30-2005, 09:04 AM
That's old news (at least old quotes from DV). He won't have a problem getting back in the lineup assuming he isn't hanging his head. If he comes back and plays well, he'll start after the bye-week.

BigRedChief
09-30-2005, 09:06 AM
He should easily beat out McCleon for the starting CB spot. No worries.

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Nothing to this at all.

Warfield will be rusty, but when it comes down to it, he'll win his spot back.

Cochise
09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
BTW we're doOOooMMmmmEEDddd

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 09:20 AM
I've checked the stats, and through the first three games McCleon has been much more productive than Warfield.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2005, 09:20 AM

You would think, but remember that McCleon is one of DV's love children.

Skip Towne
09-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Crockett..........uh................I mean McLeon won't keep the job long once Warfield gets back.

ArrowheadHawk
09-30-2005, 09:26 AM
let the best man play

Gaz
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
How DARE Vermeil insist that the best player get to start?

It is unconscionable. C’est un outrage!!!

xoxo~
Gaz
Shocked, just SHOCKED.

Pitt Gorilla
09-30-2005, 09:28 AM
You would think, but remember that McCleon is one of DV's love children.
I don't see the quotes supporting this at all. If Warfield plays well, he'll get his job back. You should be more worried about Sapp and the nickle situation.

C-Mac
09-30-2005, 09:29 AM
I've checked the stats, and through the first three games McCleon has been much more productive than Warfield.

You have just reinforced my thoughts and we all know that 98.76% of stats dont lie.

RedNFeisty
09-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Personally, I don’t think Warfield should be handed his starting job when he returns. Make him wait until the second or third play before letting him into the game. Granted he is the better player, but that is what he gets for abusing the NFL’s abuse policy and getting suspended for four games.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
How DARE Vermeil insist that the best player get to start?

It is unconscionable. C’est un outrage!!!

xoxo~
Gaz
Shocked, just SHOCKED.

I think its already been proven GAZ. From 2003-2004

Skip Towne
09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Personally, I don’t think Warfield should be handed his starting job when he returns. Make him wait until the second or third play before letting him into the game. Granted he is the better player, but that is what he gets for abusing the NFL’s abuse policy and getting suspended for four games.
Shut up, woman. The men are talking. :p

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2005, 09:42 AM
I think Denver threw at Surtain twice the whole game. The rest were at McCleon.

Gaz
09-30-2005, 09:42 AM

What exactly is it that you think was proven?

xoxo~
Gaz
Missing the point, apparently.

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Yeah, DV proved that McCleon was his love-child when he benched him in favor of William Bartee...

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 09:46 AM
I think Denver threw at Surtain twice the whole game. The rest were at McCleon.

And they had only 167 yards passing.

McCleon must be awesome.

Cochise
09-30-2005, 09:47 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

I guess this is supposed to mean there isn't competition and that Warfield has no chance.

“Oh sure, there’s competition,” Vermeil said

Deberg_1990
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

That Warfield, while not a true "Shut Down" CB, is far better than McCleon. At least more consistent.

jspchief
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I think Denver threw at Surtain twice the whole game. The rest were at McCleon.Neither of our corners were really tested in that game. All the pressure was put on our "star" LBs to defend the boot or the pass off of the boot.

All the more reason that we should have been blitzing more, IMO.

PastorMikH
09-30-2005, 09:50 AM
I would expect at this point, that this is for motivation for Warfield. If they are right about Warfield's attitude, then McCleon could definately be better. I know this is beating a dead horse, but I'm starting to think like those on the Law bandwagon and wonder if we should have signed him.

Our D Backfield stays like it is, we won't see much game time in January.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
. I know this is beating a dead horse, but I'm starting to think like those on the Law bandwagon and wonder if we should have signed him.

Bingo......I hate to say I told people so.....But.....

Tuckdaddy
09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
This is crazy! EW should definitley have his job back unless Gun says no. Dex has sucked in my eyes.

stevieray
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Bingo......I hate to say I told people so.....But.....

You don't hate to say it.

why not wait and see how it plays out?

Gaz
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
That Warfield, while not a true "Shut Down" CB, is far better than McCleon. At least more consistent.

Warfield stunk when he first got here.

McCleon played very well when Robinson and his scheme first arrived.

Your “proof” is thoroughly unconvincing.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thoroughly unconvinced.

Tuckdaddy
09-30-2005, 10:06 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Thoroughly unconvinced.

Are you hinting that Dex is better than Warfield? Not a chance.

Iowanian
09-30-2005, 10:06 AM
I figure McCleon will start week 6, but Warfield will get in the game, and keep the spot.

That said, I'm not sure I really want McCleon taking Sapp's reps at nickle.

Scaga
09-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Dexter McCleon.....
He's a @#$%!~ joke.

My only hope is they don't bench Sapp in favor of McChicken in the nickel.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2005, 10:16 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Thoroughly unconvinced.

Agreed..Warfield did stink from about 98-2002. IMO he started to turn things around, at about mid 2003. McCleon had a few good games early in 2003 season but then tailed off after that. He stunk up the joint in the playoff game against Indy. Hes never been the same.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 10:18 AM
This is crazy! EW should definitley have his job back unless Gun says no. Dex has sucked in my eyes.

Eeeewww. Make him spit them out! Make him spit them out!

BIG_DADDY
09-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Warfield off the bottle will be interesting to see.

Gaz
09-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Are you hinting that Dex is better than Warfield? Not a chance.

Nope.

I am merely amused at someone wailing over the fact that Vermeil will not anoint Warfield as the starter.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes the best man wins.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-30-2005, 10:29 AM
yes, sit a CB making 4 mil because some think Dex is DV's pet...really come on

Wichita Lineman
09-30-2005, 10:33 AM
I've seen Dexter get penalized,I've seen Dexter push recievers out of bounds,I've seen Dexter miss assingnments completely. What I haven't seen is Dexter tackle anyone with authority or break up a pass or show any reason why anyone would think he is much better than Burntee. Warfield may be rusty but he's going to be the starting CB as soon as possible. Anyway that's what I think.

Mr. Krab
09-30-2005, 10:36 AM
It's just more Vermeil coachspeak BS. It will take Warfield all of half the bye week to take over the starting position.

Gaz
09-30-2005, 10:39 AM
I have seen McCleon make interceptions and I have seen McCleon burned badly.

The same is true of Warfield.

So much for that argument.

The best player at this moment in time should start. If the best player right now is Warfield, then he should play. If the best player right now is McCleon, then he should play. Period.

That is exactly what Vermeil said he intended to do.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not pretend to know who that player might be.

Anyong Bluth
09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
There isn't even a topic of debate on this one.

Why are people talking about Dex's play under Robinson? That scheme has 0 worth now, and he has progressively gotten worse while Warfield has gotten better.

I agree also that Warfield started turning it around midway thru 2003. Last years numbers do not indicate his play. When you have no help from shit LB's underneath or Safeties up top & a crap pass rush, no corner in the league is going to be able to hang with his man all day.

Mark it down- When Warfield comes back and they are smart enough to keep Sapp in there this secondary will steadily climb in their protection and afford us to blitz a lot more. Having to watch Dex play his man 10 or more yards off make me sick. When EW is back Gun will be able to play much less soft zone bullshit b/c Warfield and Surtain can jam and press at the line. Warfield in fact is actually pretty good at that. I think a number of people are going to be rather surprised, not b/c EW some huge badass but b/c Gun drafted him and his system fits EW's strength much better then Robinson's lay back and react scheme - the same "keep it in front of us" D calls Gun has to make now to keep McCleon from being taken behind shed.

Anyone that doesn't see how marginal McCleon is and what he is costing us in regard to blitz packages and formations is either too focused on stats or missing perspective in how much we have to devote help to him.

If Gun does get to go more man to man like he did with Hasty & Carter we'll be able to send the dogs after the QB much more, but its will leave us open to a big play from time to time. I'd much rather live on creating havoc than try to keep them in front of us- especially in today's game where the DB's have no way to muscle a guy downfield like you could back in the day. Getting to the QB is even more a premium advantage these days.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-30-2005, 10:42 AM
DV "Dex sucks ass. I hope he has the confindence to help cover TO this week. We can't get Eric back fast enough"

RedNFeisty
09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Shut up, woman. The men are talking. :p
ROFL nlm

Don't you feel a little left out yourself then!?!

Chiefnj
09-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I take the comments to be a kick in the pants to Warfield to make sure he is in game shape come week 6.

ct
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
DV has been saying this all along, this is no surprise. Remember they also said leading up to and shortly into training camp that Key Fox was playing outstanding, and that DJ was NOT just going to be handed the starting job.

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
There isn't even a topic of debate on this one.

Why are people talking about Dex's play under Robinson? That scheme has 0 worth now, and he has progressively gotten worse while Warfield has gotten better.

I agree also that Warfield started turning it around midway thru 2003. Last years numbers do not indicate his play. When you have no help from shit LB's underneath or Safeties up top & a crap pass rush, no corner in the league is going to be able to hang with his man all day.

Mark it down- When Warfield comes back and they are smart enough to keep Sapp in there this secondary will steadily climb in their protection and afford us to blitz a lot more. Having to watch Dex play his man 10 or more yards off make me sick. When EW is back Gun will be able to play much less soft zone bullshit b/c Warfield and Surtain can jam and press at the line. Warfield in fact is actually pretty good at that. I think a number of people are going to be rather surprised, not b/c EW some huge badass but b/c Gun drafted him and his system fits EW's strength much better then Robinson's lay back and react scheme - the same "keep it in front of us" D calls Gun has to make now to keep McCleon from being taken behind shed.

Anyone that doesn't see how marginal McCleon is and what he is costing us in regard to blitz packages and formations is either too focused on stats or missing perspective in how much we have to devote help to him.

If Gun does get to go more man to man like he did with Hasty & Carter we'll be able to send the dogs after the QB much more, but its will leave us open to a big play from time to time. I'd much rather live on creating havoc than try to keep them in front of us- especially in today's game where the DB's have no way to muscle a guy downfield like you could back in the day. Getting to the QB is even more a premium advantage these days.

Surtain is playing 10 yards off his man too. What's his excuse?

ChiefsCountry
09-30-2005, 11:16 AM
He stunk up the joint in the playoff game against Indy. Hes never been the same.

I think it was more than just Warfield in the playoff game.

Tuckdaddy
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I have seen McCleon make interceptions and I have seen McCleon burned badly.

The same is true of Warfield.

So much for that argument.

The best player at this moment in time should start. If the best player right now is Warfield, then he should play. If the best player right now is McCleon, then he should play. Period.

That is exactly what Vermeil said he intended to do.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not pretend to know who that player might be.

You can't tell who's better?

Warfield is better. Does anyone really think that's up for debate besides yourself?

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I take the comments to be a kick in the pants to Warfield to make sure he is in game shape come week 6.

SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

You'll ruin this perfectly enjoyable rant...

Chiefs Pantalones
09-30-2005, 11:34 AM
We'll go back to a more aggressive approach when Warfield gets back. Although, we were rather aggressive against the Jets and we were successful...

buddha
09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
I agree with DV on this. Mccleon hasn't looked nearly as bad as last year.

Boy, that's a pretty low bar, isn't it? McCleon looked terrible against the Donks...maybe not terrible by Dexter standards, but terrible nonetheless!

This is classic DV speak. Make Warfield think he has to work hard to get his spot back, blah, blah, blah.

Transparent.

go bowe
09-30-2005, 11:52 AM

Warfield is better. Does anyone really think that's up for debate besides yourself?yes...

the Talking Can
09-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Warfield is better than McCleon.

It's obvious. And last year proved it for those that have drain bamage.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
If anyone thinks Warfield won't be starting, they are mistaken.

cmh6476
09-30-2005, 06:17 PM
McCleon was torched monday night. Battle should have his job already! I know more than the coaches.

gblowfish
09-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Boy, that's a pretty low bar, isn't it?
I wouldn't mention Toasty and "Bar" in the same paragraph.

Not a good idea.

Count Zarth
09-30-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't know WTF is going to happen to Dexter if he can't win his spot back.

They sure as hell better not take Sapp out of the nickel. :cuss:

jettio
09-30-2005, 06:40 PM
There should be a competition.

I propose a tricycle race down the field and back where Warfield and McCleon have to chug a beer at each 20-yd interval. :BLVD:

Sure-Oz
09-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Don't worry He'll be starting in no time, we really need him, he'd be solid at #2

royr17
09-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't know WTF is going to happen to Dexter if he can't win his spot back.

They sure as hell better not take Sapp out of the nickel. :cuss:

Exactly what I was sayin, I'd rather have Surtain, Warfield and Sapp then Surtain, Warfield, and McCleon.

Yes McCleon has better coverage skills then Sapp but he's slower and he doesnt blitz well like sapp does.

Sapp is goin to be a pretty good Nickle Corner in this league.

ceebz
09-30-2005, 07:53 PM
It's just more Vermeil coachspeak BS. It will take Warfield all of half the bye week to take over the starting position.

Agreed. Anyone who watches the first half of the Donkey game will see just how incompetent a corner McLeon is.

ceebz
09-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Boy, that's a pretty low bar, isn't it? McCleon looked terrible against the Donks...maybe not terrible by Dexter standards, but terrible nonetheless!

This is classic DV speak. Make Warfield think he has to work hard to get his spot back, blah, blah, blah.

Transparent.

Absolutely. I think they ran all but two boots to Mcleon's side. Hell, it seemed like every pass play the Donk's ran in the first half, went to his side.

MadMax
09-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Agreed. Anyone who watches the first half of the Donkey game will see just how incompetent a corner McLeon is.

errr just that game??? :bong: :shrug: :p

MadMax
09-30-2005, 08:23 PM
There should be a competition.

I propose a tricycle race down the field and back where Warfield and McCleon have to chug a beer at each 20-yd interval. :BLVD:

OMG!! What Nerds movie was that they had the beer chugging tricycle race ROFL BTW I could win that event. :p

MadMax
09-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Warfield is better than McCleon.

It's obvious. And last year proved it for those that have drain bamage.

Didn't need the proof. And I have brain damage to boot!
BTW, are you THE can that talks to me when i need another beer?

Gaz
09-30-2005, 09:36 PM

Warfield is better. Does anyone really think that's up for debate besides yourself?

Warfield has been drying out for 4 weeks. I have no idea if he is the better player at this time.

No one does.

xoxo~
Gaz
Will be perfectly happy if the drunkard beats out McCleon for the starting job.

Halfcan
09-30-2005, 11:01 PM
That calls for a drink!!

tommykat
09-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Come on.....Warfield will be back.....;)

Halfcan
09-30-2005, 11:09 PM
Soon as he dries out-he drinks more than Luv2rite on a Saturdaynight.

That was a damn fine ryme.

Maybe I will be a rapper when I grow up, if only I could find some baggy pants and get my hat to stay on my fat head crooked.

Chief Chief
09-30-2005, 11:19 PM
DV's just pissed cuz Warfield drank up half his wine cellar last St. Patrick's Day.

Chief Chief
09-30-2005, 11:21 PM
...and then took DV's sports car out for a spin to Gomer's.

MadMax
09-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Neither of our corners were really tested in that game. All the pressure was put on our "star" LBs to defend the boot or the pass off of the boot.

All the more reason that we should have been blitzing more, IMO.

I agree and i'll be damned, i agree again. :cuss: Our "star" LBs didn't shine did they? Still get hostile when the bootlegs and reverses make us look silly. Would putting a spy on the QB be a bad idea in those situations??

greg63
10-01-2005, 12:34 AM
It sounds to me like he will just have to get in form before they throw him out there. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me to make sure he's in game shape before putting in the starting lineup.

Nothing to this at all.

Warfield will be rusty, but when it comes down to it, he'll win his spot back.

Crockett..........uh................I mean McLeon won't keep the job long once Warfield gets back.

Ditto, it's just a matter of time now once Warfield gets back to being in game shape.

Tuckdaddy
10-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Warfield has been drying out for 4 weeks. I have no idea if he is the better player at this time.

No one does.

xoxo~
Gaz

He's still been working out with the team. I have no doubt he will come back ready to play after being banned from the stadium while on suspension.

McCleon has been as unimpressive as ever. Warfield should start against Wash or at least get enough reps to put him back in the spot the following week.

milkman
10-01-2005, 08:18 PM

No one does.

xoxo~
Gaz

I don't really care if he's dried out or drunk, the only way that Dexter McPassOn is a better player is if Warfield is passed out after a drinking binge.

And even then, the difference is marginal.