PDA

View Full Version : No Big Shakes, Roaf Likely Out (Dean)...

AirForceChief
09-30-2005, 12:33 PM
...at least through the bye. Probably the smart thing, but still, it bites:

Roaf still hurting from injury

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Here's how you know Willie Roaf is truly hurting.

The Chiefs' 320-pound man-mountain left tackle normally walks with a tortuous gait. Bent forward slightly at the waist, he waddles with the tiny steps of a man wearing shoes two sizes too small.

But on Wednesday, as he walked through the Chiefs locker room on his way to yet another therapy session on his aching hamstring, Willie Roaf cruised with the casual saunter of a man strolling Central Park at midday.

"I walk normal now," he observed with a deep chuckle.

The Chiefs, and Roaf himself, would rather see him waddle. That way they would be assured that the 10-time Pro Bowl tackle could play in Sunday's 3:15 p.m. game against defending NFC champion Philadelphia.

But Roaf knows he likely will miss a third straight game this week, just as he feared he might when he first felt his massive hamstring muscle give way while blocking on a Priest Holmes touchdown run on the second series of Kansas City's Sept. 11 season opener against the Jets.

"I actually felt something pop," he recalled. "The next day it was black and blue behind my leg, so I know I tore something. I didn't tear it all the way, maybe, but I tore something."

An MRI reported some good news. Roaf's hamstring was still intact -- strained, but intact. It would heal in time, doctors assured him. Unfortunately, it would likely take a lot of time.

And so a frustrated Willie Roaf continues to do his rehab workouts in the pool and on the treadmill and in the weight room while his offensive teammates struggle to run effectively and pass protect adequately in his absence.

Neither Roaf nor anyone else can say when he will be ready.

"If he doesn't play this week, he surely will play after (next week's) bye," coach Dick Vermeil predicted Thursday.

Roaf wishes he could speed up the process. But he knows that won't happen.

"I would play right now if I could explode on my leg," he said. "Right now, sitting here, I feel fine. But when I try to go out and try to run around, it just won't let me do it.

"I still can't just take off and run. I'm still dragging that leg. And we're not talking about hitting 280-pound linemen. We're just talking about trying to get out of a stance and take off running. I can't get my 300 pounds going.

"I can do stuff in the pool. They can put the treadmill on 6.0 (a mile in 10 minutes) and I'm fine. But when I get out on the field and try to run a sweep, I feel the scar tissue breaking up again, and I've got to back off. I know it's not ready."

The Chiefs aren't ready, either.

They knew the 35-year-old Roaf couldn't play forever. They drafted Jordan Black in 2003 with the idea of preparing him as Roaf's eventual replacement.

Black may be ready someday. Sunday, however, may not be that day.

"There was going to be a time when this was going to happen anyway," Roaf said. "With Will (Shields, KC's 34-year-old Pro Bowl guard) and I getting up there, there might be two new starters on the line next year anyway. That's an issue they've got to address."

Right now, though, the issue is getting Roaf heathy again -- the best way to return Kansas City's offense to full strength.

But the Chiefs know the danger in rushing Roaf back too quickly.

"We miss him and want him back as soon as possible," said quarterback Trent Green. "But we want him back for the long haul. We don't want him back for a week or two then lose him for anther two weeks. We need to make sure he's healthy and ready to go, and hopefully that's this week. If not, he'll be ready after the bye week and then stay healthy for the remaining 12 games.

"But the big picture is to make sure he's healthy for the duration of the season."

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 12:37 PM
I hope they don't play him on Sunday.

StcChief
09-30-2005, 01:13 PM
He won't play this week. Hopefully at Washington game.

RINGLEADER
09-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I haven't thought we'd see him again before game five anyway. I'm just hoping Black is able to hold the line this week, let Priest/Johnson run us to a win, and then get Roaf and Warfield back against the Redskins.

We need to go 4-1 against the Eagles at home, Redskins at home, Raiders at home, Chargers away, and Miami away to start really positioning ourselves as a real contender. 6-2 at the halfway point with the majority of our toughest games behind us and we'd be good to go IMO.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Roaf has earned his stripes. I've got no problem holding him out until he's 100 percent.

Mr. Krab
09-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Roaf didn't practice again today, he's out for sure.

Sam
09-30-2005, 03:35 PM
I just heard on 610 that Roaf is out. Boe is in and Horn will not dress for the game.

el borracho
09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I just heard on 610 that Roaf is out. Boe is in and Horn will not dress for the game.
Who will dress in Horn's place?

Sam
09-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Who will dress in Horn's place?

Duh, Boe.

el borracho
09-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Doh! That is what that says, isn't it?

Nevermind.