PDA

View Full Version : How are we going to get our running game going?

Tuckdaddy
10-01-2005, 06:14 AM
It wasn't real good in Oakland but we still got over 100. In Denver it was not good and this week the O-line will be the same against a better defensive line. Will we stack up on one side more or try to run behind Shields and Waters up the gut?

I hope up the gut, that would be the strongest part of our line right now. We must be able to run the ball in this game or we will struggle.

Count Zarth
10-01-2005, 06:31 AM
I don't think Philly's D-line is better than Denver's. In fact, I think they are relatively weak up the middle with Hollis Thomas and rookie Mike Patterson.

Jevon Kearse and ND Kalu aren't the greatest run defenders, either.

Bwana
10-01-2005, 06:36 AM
I know it will get better again when Big Willie returns. I hope they can figure "something" out for this weeks game, or it's going to be another long day. If they can't get the run going, Philly is going to bring the heat all day long and Trent is going to get abused.

boredfan
10-01-2005, 07:09 AM
I hate to say this, but we need to used the pass to set up the run. Philly is going to know that Roaf is out, and know that we have to run the ball. They will be blitzing us from everywhere, yes, I understand that too. But if we can come out and complete some really short, quick routes, and (gulp) trust our receivers to do something, they will have to start keeping people back to cover that. Once this happens, let Preist and LJ loose, and that will give them 2 a great day.

Count Zarth
10-01-2005, 07:14 AM
I hate to say this, but we need to used the pass to set up the run. Philly is going to know that Roaf is out, and know that we have to run the ball. They will be blitzing us from everywhere, yes, I understand that too. But if we can come out and complete some really short, quick routes, and (gulp) trust our receivers to do something, they will have to start keeping people back to cover that. Once this happens, let Preist and LJ loose, and that will give them 2 a great day.

I disagree. Philly's defensive strength is pass D. We need to pound the rock early and set up our play action passing game.

boredfan
10-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Pounding the rock is what is expected. It is what everyone expects right now. Right now all people have to do is come on run blitzes until we at least get roaf back. Then when they get a lead, switch to a pass blitz as the run is an ineffective way to catch up and conserve time. If we come out with a pound the ball attitude, we will get beat.

patteeu
10-01-2005, 08:05 AM
I disagree. Philly's defensive strength is pass D. We need to pound the rock early and set up our play action passing game.

I agree with you. Running is our makeshift offensive line's relative strength and run defense is their defensive line's relative weakness so it's a no brainer.

KCFANinNC
10-01-2005, 08:45 AM
OL prefer to run block. Call some plays to get us a few and get thier confidence up. Teams that win run the ball even when the defense knows they are going to run the ball.

Earthling
10-01-2005, 09:12 AM
At least we should be able to use audibles...something we couldn't do in Denver.

PastorMikH
10-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I think first of all, to get the running game going, we need to put Priest in and leave him in. Let him find some rythym. There's a lot of times that he doesn't really start picking up the yards until the second half. It takes time for a RB to get going. Nothing against LJ, but let's get the running game going, then plug him in. Let him spell Priest but let's not be saying "Priest get's this series, LJ gets the next" - If Priest knocks off a long run, put LJ in for a couple of carries. When we get in the redzone, esp inside the 10, Priest should be in.

Also, we need to quit forcing the running game and do some more passing. We're starting to look like Hacket or Raye is running the show, they stack 8 in the box and we still try to run. If they crowd the line of scrimmage, throw deep on them. Put Parker's speed to use, tell him at the snap to take off for the endzone 80 yards away and look back about half way there. Get the D stretched and the running game will do better.

B_Ambuehl
10-01-2005, 09:27 AM
You gotta get some movement up front and get the guards and center pulling to help out on the other side where your tackle is. That's a Chiefs hallmark and is something they (Waters, Shields, and Wiegmann) do very effectively and Kevin Sampson looks pretty decent at it too. The problem with the rushing game in the first half was Black couldn't hold his end up. That's made about 80% of the left handed runs look like dirt so far this season but there's a very fine line between getting stopped inthe backfield for a 3 yard loss and busting a 10 yard gain. If the tackle gets pushed back it blows everything up. There were 5 running plays in the first half the other night that would've been long runs had Roaf been in the game. So with Roaf out I would place a premium on counters. The run at the end of the game for a first down vs the Raiders was a counter...so was the opening run in the 3rd quarter the other night.

Additionally, they are already disrespecting the Chiefs wide receivers and are gonna move a safety down to help out on Tony G. You gotta get the ball downfield to one of your WRs early on to get that safety back out.

PastorMikH
10-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I hate to say this, but we need to used the pass to set up the run. Philly is going to know that Roaf is out, and know that we have to run the ball. They will be blitzing us from everywhere,

3-4 screens to Priest in the first couple of series will put an end to a lot of that blitzing.

patteeu
10-01-2005, 10:57 AM
At least we should be able to use audibles...something we couldn't do in Denver.

I don't think the Chiefs audible much (except for the hurry up where Trent calls plays at the line of scrimmage). Instead, I think their plays are designed to have multiple permutations depending on the defense that they encounter. It's up to each offensive player to recognize what's going on and act accordingly without the QB using audibles. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

Halfcan
10-01-2005, 11:38 PM
We used to have a badass tightend named Tony G. but I havn't seen him around in a long time. Seems he went Hollywood and quit practicing in camp and now just goes through the motions. If TG decides to play hard this week, they will have to double team him, which might set up the running game.

Plus I would play Holmes as the starter and only send in LJ in mop up duty like most second stringers get.

I like the slant to Kennison for 8 yards on first down, but we only run that once in a blue moon, but will try five triple super duper fake reverses. Someone needs to check Sauders medication, I think he used the wizanator the last drug test. He has been hanging at Ricky Williams pad to much.

Count Zarth
10-01-2005, 11:39 PM
We used to have a badass tightend named Tony G. but I havn't seen him around in a long time. Seems he went Hollywood and quit practicing in camp and now just goes through the motions.

You're a retard.

Halfcan
10-01-2005, 11:44 PM
How many TD's does he have going into the 4th game. After a huge season last year, it is a bit disapointing. TG is not getting double teamed every play like he used to. He needs to step it up plan and simple.

Bez
10-01-2005, 11:46 PM
We used to have a badass tightend named Tony G. but I havn't seen him around in a long time. Seems he went Hollywood and quit practicing in camp and now just goes through the motions. If TG decides to play hard this week, they will have to double team him, which might set up the running game.

Plus I would play Holmes as the starter and only send in LJ in mop up duty like most second stringers get.

I like the slant to Kennison for 8 yards on first down, but we only run that once in a blue moon, but will try five triple super duper fake reverses. Someone needs to check Sauders medication, I think he used the wizanator the last drug test. He has been hanging at Ricky Williams pad to much.
Are you serious? I cant believe that Gonzales dosn't attend practice. I just saw footage of him at a Cal game today.WE beat Arizona 28-0 so far so good

Halfcan
10-01-2005, 11:51 PM
To TG's defense, he still gets freakin held every play, usually right in front of the dumb ref. It is a joke. They just turn away like it never happened. But I don't know if Al is just not calling his number or what, but he needs more chances. How about throwing a few slants to TG once in awhile?

tk13
10-01-2005, 11:55 PM
I think it's gonna be tough. Trotter is tough at MLB, they've defended the run very well since he took over last year. I thought we needed to pass to open up the run against Denver... Denver always leaves their corners on islands and brings almost everybody else in the box. We just weren't gonna succeed running the ball like that, especially with our tackles struggling.

Problem is, Philly's secondary is even better. Parker or whoever is over there is going to have to step up, although no matter where we put him he's gonna have a better corner on him this week, and their safeties are both really, really good. I think this is gonna be a real tough test for our offense.

We have to simply sack up and manhandle them at the line of scrimmage I guess. Somebody has to get a body on Trotter.

Count Zarth
10-01-2005, 11:57 PM
How many TD's does he have going into the 4th game. After a huge season last year, it is a bit disapointing. TG is not getting double teamed every play like he used to. He needs to step it up plan and simple.

You need to do some research before opening your big fat mouth.

Last year at this time Tony Gonzalez had 14 catches for 186 yards and 1 TD.

Right now he has 14 catches for 124 yards.

Yeah, that difference is ENORMOUS. He MUST be slacking. :rolleyes:

Halfcan
10-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Yeah those are some big numbers!!! 4 catches and 41 yards per game and no TD's. So he started out slow last year too-does that make this year okay? For the "Best tightend in football" and a probowl player that is pathetic. On one hand he whines for never winning a playoff game in his career-but then every camp, doesn't practice hard. He is a great talent, but this was supposed to be a Superbowl year and he is a Marquee player-he needs to step it up-as do the rest of the team.

Big fat mouth-that is funny coming from you.

Rausch
10-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah those are some big numbers!!! 4 catches and 41 yards per game and no TD's. So he started out slow last year too-does that make this year okay? For the "Best tightend in football" and a probowl player that is pathetic. On one hand he whines for never winning a playoff game in his career-but then every camp, doesn't practice hard. He is a great talent, but this was supposed to be a Superbowl year and he is a Marquee player-he needs to step it up-as do the rest of the team.

What has Marvin Harrison done this year?...

Count Zarth
10-02-2005, 12:13 AM

Our passing offense stats off slow EVERY year. Tony G is part of that.

You're overreacting.

Halfcan
10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
I just don't think we are using him right-that is part of it. But we don't seem to have that emotional leader on offense. I hope we see a breakthrough performance tommorrow and TG gets back on track with his first 10 catch and 100 yard and TD game of the year. 2-2 would suck!!

Rausch
10-02-2005, 12:20 AM
I just don't think we are using him right-that is part of it. But we don't seem to have that emotional leader on offense. I hope we see a breakthrough performance tommorrow and TG gets back on track with his first 10 catch and 100 yard and TD game of the year. 2-2 would suck!!

If you can't block it doesn't matter who you have at WR/TE. Teams have discovered that they don't need to have good coverage on Gonzo if they blitz at our $#it tackle of the week and Green only has 3 seconds to throw the ball.

Look at our offense before we got Roaf. Ugly $#it, ain't it?

Halfcan
10-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah good point-Al better figure that shit out. Trent took a beating last week from those Cleveland rejects turned Donkey bastards.

KCChiefsFan88
10-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Isn't it always around this time where the Chiefs have their offensive explosion game. Year 1 of the Vermeil era it was in late Sept or early Oct. I think where Trent had all those TD passes versus Washington, then in 2002 Trent had 5 TD passes versus Miami (last weekend of Sept), 2 years ago the passing game really got going in that shootout win up in Green Bay, then last year around this time it was the back to back games versus Atlanta and Indy.

I think the Chiefs are due

Rausch
10-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Look at our offense before we got Roaf. Ugly $#it, ain't it?

JoPo stole my thunder... :cuss:

Chiefs Pantalones
10-02-2005, 02:24 AM
Hopefully we don't get too embarrassed.

jspchief
10-02-2005, 05:40 AM
I think first of all, to get the running game going, we need to put Priest in and leave him in. Let him find some rythym. There's a lot of times that he doesn't really start picking up the yards until the second half. It takes time for a RB to get going. Nothing against LJ, but let's get the running game going, then plug him in. Let him spell Priest but let's not be saying "Priest get's this series, LJ gets the next" - If Priest knocks off a long run, put LJ in for a couple of carries. When we get in the redzone, esp inside the 10, Priest should be in.

Also, we need to quit forcing the running game and do some more passing. We're starting to look like Hacket or Raye is running the show, they stack 8 in the box and we still try to run. If they crowd the line of scrimmage, throw deep on them. Put Parker's speed to use, tell him at the snap to take off for the endzone 80 yards away and look back about half way there. Get the D stretched and the running game will do better.

Agree with the first paragraph of your post. Particularly the last sentence.

Disagree with the second paragraph. IMO, we haven't been dedicated to the run enough. In the Denver game, we only ran 22 times. That's just not enough. With the two backs we have, we should be able to run the ball 30 times per game at minimum.

Chiefaholic
10-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Put Shields at LT, Move Bober back in at RG, and let Black move back over to RT. Now we can run up the gut and to the left side.

PastorMikH
10-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Agree with the first paragraph of your post. Particularly the last sentence.

Disagree with the second paragraph. IMO, we haven't been dedicated to the run enough. In the Denver game, we only ran 22 times. That's just not enough. With the two backs we have, we should be able to run the ball 30 times per game at minimum.

So, if the D is stacking the line of scrimmage and we are getting 1-2 yards per carry we should keep running instead of taking advantage of the D and busting their chops with some passes?

Trust me, if they will quit forcing the run and open up the passing game, the running game will be much more productive. Right now everyone in the NFL knows we have a running game and will be trying to stop it. They will continue to do so until we show that we are also a viable threat passing the ball as well.

In that Denver game, I saw us running the ball quite a bit in the second half, we really slowed the game down and ran the clock. In the Oakland game, I watched us pass down the field effectively then turn to the run almost exclusively in the red zone and we sputtered.

It's not about running the ball, it's not about passing the ball, it's about balance. The run opens up the pass and the pass opens up the run.

htismaqe
10-02-2005, 08:37 AM
So, if the D is stacking the line of scrimmage and we are getting 1-2 yards per carry we should keep running instead of taking advantage of the D and busting their chops with some passes?

Yes.

Ask any coach, at any level. Patience is a virtue.

CupidStunt
10-02-2005, 08:49 AM
How old are some of you people?

You act like 4-year olds with your little internet tough-guy routines.

Skip Towne
10-02-2005, 08:50 AM
You're a retard.
An extra slow retard. A rider of the very shortest buses.

PastorMikH
10-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Yes.

Ask any coach, at any level. Patience is a virtue.

It did work for Marty in the Playoffs didn't it?

That's why Montana excelled too, he was really, really good at handing the ball to his RB.

My point is, if you take advantage of what the D gives you, you will see more success than if you try to force your will on a D that expects it.