PDA

View Full Version : Trade Favre?

Jmart
10-01-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.coversexperts.com/includes/article_spot.asp?ur=4229

Thought this was an interesting article.

Time for Packers to trade Favre

By Stephen Nover

September 30, 2005

Can the Eagles win the Super Bowl without Donovan McNabb? Can the Ravens win the Super Bowl with the quarterbacks they have on their roster? Can the Jets still salvage their season?

The answer is a resounding NO to all three questions. But there is a solution for each of these teams: Make a trade for Brett Favre.

I think I just heard a scaffold being built in Green Bay. I know, those are hanging words for Packer fans. But at least think about it, before organizing a posse. Where are the Packers going at 0-3?

True, the NFC North Division remains wide open because itís so bad. We could be looking at a 7-9 division winner. But the Packers are winless playing the easy portion of their schedule. Green Bay is a 7 Ĺ-point underdog Monday at Carolina.

The Packers get one more easy game, although nothing is easy anymore for this team, when they host the Saints next week. Then comes a bye followed by road games against the Vikings and Bengals. The Packers then host the Steelers before going back on the road to play the Falcons. Thatís followed by a home game against the Vikings and then a road game against the Eagles.

So going into Week 13, the Packers very well could be 2-9. It would be to their long-term benefit to deal Favre now, before he finally gets injured. Even Mr. Indestructible is in severe danger with Adrian Klemm and seventh-round rookie draft pick Will Whitticker as his starting guards. Politicians in Iraq face less danger than Favre.

So, why not deal Favre? The Packers would take a $10 million salary cap hit next year if they kept Favre. By dealing him, Green Bay would save $4.8 million on next yearís cap, because the team still is obligated to him for $5.2 million based on a pro-ratio of his signing bonus and money guaranteed to him through the years.

Trade deadline is Oct. 18. The Eagles should have a better idea by then if McNabb can gut out another three months. The Jets know now they are in a critical quarterback situation. Theyíve called the Redskins about Patrick Ramsey. You canít get more desperate than that. Why call about Ramsey? Wouldnít you rather have Favre?

The price isnít as high as you might think to acquire Favre. A No. 1 draft choice could do the trick. A No. 1 and a decent player or a No. 1 and No. 3 pick would definitely seal the deal. Thereís precedent for this. The 49ers dealt 36-year-old Joe Montana to the Chiefs in 1993 and received a first-round pick.

Favre turns 36 shortly. But donít believe the constant retirement talk. He loves football too much and heís still too good. Heís thrown seven interceptions because he lost his best wide receiver and lone playmaker, Javon Walker, has a bad center and guards and needs to make up for a porous defense and mediocre special teams that rarely, if ever, get him the ball in good field position.

You mean to tell me the Ravens wouldnít be a prime Super Bowl threat with their dominant defense, Jamal Lewis and upgraded receivers if they added Favre? The Ravens have around $3.55 million of cap space left. The Bills are a similar team with an excellent defense and outstanding running back to go with two solid wideouts. All thatís holding them back is good quarterback play.

The Eagles would be crazy not to deal for Favre if McNabb finally succumbs to his many aliments. Philly has more than $12 million in cap space. Itís scary to think how good the Eagles would be if they were up against the cap like most teams.

Sure Favre initially is going to resist a trade. Heís been a Packer practically his entire career. But itís not like he wonít go into the Hall of Fame as a Packer if he is traded. Even Vince Lombardi left Green Bay. Remember his final year coaching was with the Redskins.

The Packers need help. They need to rebuild. Itís not easy acquiring a No. 1 pick these days. Teams were reluctant to part with a high pick when Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James were being dangled as trade bait. Alexander and James probably are the second and third-best running backs in the NFL. At least thatís the way I rank them, with LaDainian Tomlinson No. 1.

Favre has been adamant about not wanting to be traded. One of the reasons is learning a new offense. But I think he would change his tune if he had a legitimate chance to get back into the Super Bowl. The Ravens have sharp offensive minds with head coach Brian Billick, offensive coordinator Jim Fassel and quarterback coach Rick Neuheisel.

The Eagles operate a quarterback-friendly offense and also have an excellent offensive brain trust with head coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Brad Childress, who could be the next highly sought after assistant coach.

It would be a win-win situation. The Packers get a jump-start on whatís going to be a massive rebuilding job, something new general manager Ted Thompson knew when he took over the position in January although wonít admit.

The team that trades for Favre gets a huge lift and shows a serious all-out commitment to win this season before the window of opportunity vanishes, like it does sooner or later for all NFL teams in the salary cap era.

Saulbadguy
10-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Ridiculous.

Phobia
10-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Stephen Nover is retarded. The only thing a team that trades for Favre is going to get is a lot of interceptions. Favre forces the ball enough in an offense, coordinators, and personnel he knows. I'd hate to see what would happen with him behind center in a strange offense with receivers he's never thrown to.

Demonpenz
10-01-2005, 11:28 AM
i wonder if he really believed that or if he was just pondering what if

Phobia
10-01-2005, 11:29 AM
i wonder if he really believed that or if he was just pondering what if

I think Fantasy Football has really dumbed down a lot of current fans to the basics of the game. They think they can plug players in anywhere on an actual team and excel.

Demonpenz
10-01-2005, 11:40 AM
well if there is anyone that looks like he doesn't even use any system it's farve. It just looks like he throws the ball where ever he wants almost before the guy makes a break on his route

stumppy
10-01-2005, 11:42 AM
LOL.Someone has been playing Madden football to long...

Phobia
10-01-2005, 11:43 AM
LOL.Someone has been playing Madden football to long...

Yeah. That too.

ct
10-01-2005, 12:21 PM
:bong:

Deberg_1990
10-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Stephen Nover is retarded. The only thing a team that trades for Favre is going to get is a lot of interceptions. Favre forces the ball enough in an offense, coordinators, and personnel he knows. I'd hate to see what would happen with him behind center in a strange offense with receivers he's never thrown to.

Id love to see what Favre could do in our offensive scheme, just out of curiosity......Hes been in the West Coast scheme his whole career.

Rausch
10-01-2005, 02:07 PM
And then there's the fact that Favre probably doesn't want to be traded.

He'd just retire...

PastorMikH
10-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Who knows, Favre is talked as being one of the better QBs in the game, but maybe the Packers might win a few if they traded him. I've always thought that Favre does a lot to hurt his team. Sure when he's on he's great, but when he's off, he keeps forcing anyway.