PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Espresso Attack. What's it worth?

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I posted this on another thread, but since I'm a bit of a thread creation whore, I thought, "What the heck. I'll make a poll out of it, too."

Here's the deal.

We went out to a very nice restaurant last night as a bit of a celebration for a good week. It was definitely a splurge on our part.

While we were at our table, the waitress for the table behind me came up with a tray of stuff for them. Standing right behind me, she started to lower the tray, but somehow caught a corner of it on my shoulder. She lost control of it, and it came down like one of those big alien ships in Independence Day. After the dust had settled, FEMA came out and judged that I had taken a bunch of hot espresso onto my back. It didn't burn too bad, though, and the worst part was getting it all over my white shirt.

The manager came out and apologized, and gave us a free dessert, which was priced at about $8.

When you take off the dessert cost, the total cost of the meal and tip was about $135. How much of a discount should I have expected for that? FYI, it happened a few minutes before we got our food.

Phobia
10-01-2005, 03:22 PM
You should have had it comped plus a snifter of expensive cognac with dessert, IMO.

Braincase
10-01-2005, 03:24 PM
You should have had it comped plus a snifter of expensive cognac with dessert, IMO.

And a hummer from the clumsy waitress.

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 03:27 PM

Man, I never thought to ask for that.

Phobia
10-01-2005, 03:29 PM

That would scare me slightly but now that I think about it, I'm married to a klutz.... and she's never drawn blood. While my initial reaction was one of horror, upon reconsideration I'd say you're fairly safe.

mlyonsd
At least the cost to clean or replace the shirt, plus a free dessert, plus a $25 gift certificate to get you back in there.

PastorMikH
Depends upon the shirt. Was it a casual white shirt (polo style) or was it a dress shirt? I would say at the bare minumum they should have taken care of a cleaning bill for the shirt. Add in that the shirt may need to be replaced - a nice dress shirt can get rather expensive, also the pain you experienced, then the discomfort of having to eat your meal with a wet shirt, I seriously think it would only be fair to have recieved your entire meal for free or to recieve a coupon or account credit entitling you and your wife to another meal on them.

I guess the other question here would be, what would it be worth to a 4 - 5 star resturaunt to not have a rep tarnished with a story such as this getting the attention of the local food critics.

Nothing like splurging at a nice resturaunt only to be disspointed.

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I was kind of satisfied with the dessert. Maybe I should've been more outraged.

And as a clarifying point, it was a casual shirt, kind of a Land's End cotton one. I expect that the espresso stains will come out of it, but I'll be bummed if they don't, because I really like the shirt.

PastorMikH
10-01-2005, 03:34 PM

We took the Church Board and their spouses out to one of the nicest Steak Houses in OK City last year for Christmas. Over half of the steaks needed to be sent back, several were through with their meals before others were served and so on. I still wasn't satisfied when I got the bill reduced by $80 so we won't be going back there again.

kregger
10-01-2005, 03:41 PM

And as a clarifying point, it was a casual shirt, kind of a Land's End cotton one. I expect that the espresso stains will come out of it, but I'll be bummed if they don't, because I really like the shirt.

Lesson: Never wear white while dining.

kregger
10-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Or, better yet! Follow the lead of one Cosmo Kramer and get free espresso for life. :BLVD: :BLVD:

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 03:48 PM
I'd rather be the Marlboro Man.

Otter
10-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Meal comped and cleaning bill taken care of would be fair IMHO.

DanT
10-01-2005, 04:14 PM
$135!? Wow. Did you make sure they didn't charge you for the espresso bath? ;)

Bwana
10-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Free dessert? Screw that, you should of had that meal on the house.

Skip Towne
10-01-2005, 04:24 PM
So, what did you have to eat?

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 04:26 PM
So, what did you have to eat?

Alaskan King Crab legs. Mmmmmm.

Otter
10-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Better yet, be polite as possible, take off your shirt and ask the manager to have the stain dampened with seltzer water so it doesn't set in then sit down and eat the rest of your meal sans shirt like everything is all right in the world.

We'll see who feels awkward at the end of this situation.

Dammit, now I want an espresso spilled on me.

Simplex3
10-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I would most certainly have gone for the free meal. It's the least they could do after a major f**k up like that. Free desert is for the guy who had to send his meal back to be fixed, not the guy wearing someone else's meal.

StcChief
10-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Minimum he comps the check. Period.