PDA

View Full Version : How do you setup your widescreen TV when watching TV?

jAZ
10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
When you are watching regular TV (not a widescreen movie)... which setting do you prefer to watch using?

Fishpicker
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I use a zoom mode. it fills the entire screen but cuts off some of the picture at the top and bottom.

Deberg_1990
10-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Stretched while watching regular TV. I dont like the black bars on the sides of my screen

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Stretched while watching regular TV. I dont like the black bars on the sides of my screenI don't mind the black bars. I hate the stretched image...

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2005, 07:26 PM
WIDE mode for movies...

jAZ
10-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't mind the black bars. I hate the stretched image...
I agree... my only complaint about the black bars is that on this TV they aren't completely black. They are a dark gray, but they are noticable, IMO.

Fotunately (and also unfortunately) I'm refering to my Father-In-Law's TV. We don't have the widescreen yet, but I will be checking out how dark the black bars are when we do finally upgrade, because stretched is very annoying to me.

KChiefs1
10-01-2005, 09:02 PM
You need to use the stretch mode or the screen can have the lines burned into it.

Vegas_Dave
10-01-2005, 10:13 PM
My new Widescreen automatically stretches the picture to fit. You can move it back to 4:3 if you choose.

jspchief
10-01-2005, 11:10 PM
You need to use the stretch mode or the screen can have the lines burned into it.Not entirely true. That's why the bars aren't black, but more often just a dark gray.

Shag
10-01-2005, 11:40 PM
You need to use the stretch mode or the screen can have the lines burned into it.

Actually, this is not true for the newer technologies, such as LCD and DLP. That's primarily a problem with CRT and Plasma...

Dartgod
10-02-2005, 12:29 AM
Not on my DLP. I hate the stretched or zoom mode.

Dr. Chief
10-02-2005, 12:32 AM
I use full mode on my 65" Sony. It distorts just a bit, but you get used to it and it's better than having the update bar cut off.

mcan
10-02-2005, 01:11 AM
why the hell would you even BOTHER buying a widescreen television if you aren't going to watch everything in the proper aspect ratio? If the program is broadcast in a 4:3, then I WATCH it in 4:3. This is the only thing that I am snobby about in the world.

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE when stuff is distorted or stretched in any way! I'd rather be watching BEN HUR on a 12" screen and have it look like a yardstick across the screen in the proper panaromic format, then have a HUGE image of Charlton Hestond that looks like it's been tranferred over to motion "SILLY PUTTY."

Dr. Chief
10-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Why the hell would you bother watching something if chunks of it were cut off or wasting the screen area that you paid thousands of dollars for? Until everything is in HD this is the problem that will occur. I watch movies in the proper format and I watch more movies than sports.

UKMike
10-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Over here alot of TV is widescreen now.

Kerberos
10-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I use a zoom mode. it fills the entire screen but cuts off some of the picture at the top and bottom.

Yup

If you got a decent wide screen TV you have to options of zooming without the stretch look. You do have small pieces at the top and bottom of the screen but I can live with that.

You can also zoom and loose small amounts from the top and bottom and see the whole screen. You don't lose any action and it is pretty damn clear.

Without that option I wouldn't have bought the TV I have!