PDA

View Full Version : It's the lack of a pass rush that worries me most

siberian khatru
10-02-2005, 05:56 PM
I can buy into the idea that getting Roaf back will improve the offense.

I can buy into the idea that Saunders will extract his head from his ass.

I can buy into the idea that Warfield replacing McCleon improves the secondary, maybe forces 1-2 more punts a game.

But we simply don't have a pass rush, and haven't for several years now. And I think that ultimately sinks us. Even if we scrap and claw our way to a playoff spot, that lack of pressure on the QB will kill us in the postseason.

Maybe when Warfield comes back, Gun will blitz like a madman and maybe some of those blitzes will actually work.

So I'm not writing off the season. This team needs a break right now to clear their heads and get healthy/unsuspended. But unless they figure out a way to pressure the QB, I just don't see it adding up to anything special.

JohnMadden
10-02-2005, 06:00 PM
You see on the Kansas City defense, you don't have a dominant pass rusher that will command a double team to free up the other pass rushers. Lionel Dalton is more of a run stuffing defensive tackle and Eric Hicks has never been known to get to the QB very much either. Jared Allen is more of a 3rd and long pass rusher because do to his size he is liability against the run. So what are you gonna do? You might say Ryan Sims is the answer but has proven anything in the league and besides he is injured. The Chiefs are gonna have to blitz and when you blitz sometimes BOOOOOM! there goes a TD for 45 yards. So what are you going to do? Thats why I drive a bus now instead of flying.

Ultra Peanut
10-02-2005, 06:10 PM
ROFL

KCFANinNC
10-02-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree. We stopped the run, but we got NO pass rush whatsoever. Every time I saw Kearse make a play I was jealous of thier DE.

yeti
10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
You nailed it. D-line play will prevent our defense from taking off. However, there are many issues with the chiefs. Losing at home isn't acceptable for a championship playoff team losing like that at home isn't even acceptable for just a playoff team. I have to say this team is in trouble, yes there could be a miracle but miracles tend to avoid KC.

HemiEd
10-02-2005, 06:31 PM
We need Ryan Sims back very badly.

RP_McMurphy
10-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Ding, Ding

Correct answer

The key to any football game is line play on the offense and defensive side of the ball. In the second half I constantly saw McNabb have 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. I don't care if your Darrell Green, Deion Sanders if the quarterback has that time he will find open receivers in the NFL.

Rain Man
10-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Yep. There is no semblance of a pass rush. It's really bad. Bad. Horrific. Terrible. Non-existent. Stinkerific.

Michael Michigan
10-02-2005, 06:47 PM
So I'm not writing off the season.

But you're real close...right?

;)

RedThat
10-02-2005, 06:53 PM
If I could trade Surtain for a Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers. I'd do it right now. An improved pass defense starts with a pass rush from your lineman.

Den9899
10-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the Denver Broncos 2004 season. It doesn't matter if you have a "shut-down corner", a stud LB corp or a brand new safety. It all starts up front. Bailey was consistently left in one-on-one coverage last year, and it doesn't matter how good you are, you aren't going to cover a guy for 7 seconds.

In a few weeks the Surtain bashing will begin, and it will take you until the offseason to realize your D-line is crap and you well then go out and sign 4 Cleveland Brown castaways. They will suprise everyone who laughed at the signings, giving you the last laugh.

JBucc
10-02-2005, 07:44 PM
And now Hicks is hurt too. OMG this sucks

the Talking Can
10-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I've maintained all along that our DL would limit our D to a #20-15 ranking...I think I was being generous...

blsilks
10-02-2005, 07:45 PM
What are you talking about. They have been pass rushing Trent like crazy for the past two weeks.

Bowser
10-02-2005, 07:46 PM
And now Hicks is hurt too. OMG this sucks

Maybe now we'll be forced to have a pass rush.

the Talking Can
10-02-2005, 07:47 PM
And now Hicks is hurt too.

what ever it takes to improve our D....

Mecca
10-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I wonder if Hicks injury will prevent him from blowing DV for a few weeks.

Skip Towne
10-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Losing Hicks means nothing. I saw him in on all of 2 plays today. He's invisible.

the Talking Can
10-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Losing Hicks means nothing. I saw him in on all of 2 plays today. He's invisible.

DV will be grumpier...he won't have anyone to teabag...

RedThat
10-02-2005, 07:58 PM

whatcha talk'n about man? the guy is a rock!

HemiEd
10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
In a few weeks the Surtain bashing will begin, and it will take you until the offseason to realize your D-line is crap and you well then go out and sign 4 Cleveland Brown castaways. They will suprise everyone who laughed at the signings, giving you the last laugh.

but......... but there are no more Browns DL to sign, Shanahan beat us to them. :banghead:

Nah, all we need is Sims back.

Garcia Bronco
10-02-2005, 08:24 PM
In the few posts I made about your team this summer...this is exactly what I was talking about....you added new secondary...but CP didn't put the money where it mattered. You really needed some DT help...and maybe an end. Losing Sims hurts, but we wouldn't call him an overachiever.

ROYC75
10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Blah blah blah........... our pass rush and pass D sucks. I mentioned it in the Jets game. Planet members wanted to bag on me for mentioning it.

We need DL help in a bad way, most of us saw this before TC. CP didn't address this issue.

News flash........ Our run D sucks too ! Philly didn't have to run on us, they could pass it and get bigger chunks of yards to get back into this game. Want proof our run D still sucks....... Does the DENVER game have a ringing endorsement ? Anybody ?

CP addressing the D this past summer was OK, he forgot that the DL help was sorely needed.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2005, 08:46 PM
DLINE has def. killed this defenses chances to succeed, mcnabb had all ****ing day and when we got to him we couldn't grab him and he has little mobility/

Chiefs Pantalones
10-02-2005, 08:50 PM
It all starts up front. You can have the best secondary, but if you don't have a dang good dline, you will get burned.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2005, 08:52 PM
our Lb's and secondary are fine but when u get 5 min to throw not evenb the best defense in the nfl can stop thta

****ing line

Wile_E_Coyote
10-02-2005, 08:59 PM
they would really like & need to renovate Arrowhead, I bet they atleast try & scrounge up one or two D lineman

RedThat
10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Yep. It all starts with the D-Line. Would any of you take some of those moves back? Im talking about guys like Kendrell Bell, DJ, Sammy Knight, and instead pick up 2 stud Defensive lineman? I would.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Yep. It all starts with the D-Line. Would any of you take some of those moves back? Im talking about guys like Kendrell Bell, DJ, Sammy Knight, and instead pick up 2 stud Defensive lineman? I would.
cant worry about what we cant control at this point. just gotta hope our dline finds a way to get pressure and fast, we got alot of talent behind them they just gotta do something.

RedThat
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
cant worry about what we cant control at this point. just gotta hope our dline finds a way to get pressure and fast, we got alot of talent behind them they just gotta do something.

True. The only solution is to improve our D-line this year is from within. We can only go so far with that though. Id like to see some more of Carlos Hall, Jimmy Wilkerson was okay, and Jared Allen too. The rest stunk. Im hoping for a Ryan Sims return soon. He showed promise this off-season.

KCFANinNC
10-02-2005, 09:08 PM
I still wonder why we did not try to shuffle some things to sign Simon.

Toad
10-02-2005, 09:10 PM
And now Hicks is hurt too. OMG this might just give us a chance

fixed your post...

brent102fire
10-02-2005, 09:10 PM
No Pass Rush = No Playoffs