PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: Gonzalez filled with frustration

tk13
10-03-2005, 01:11 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12802551.htm

Gonzalez filled with frustration

JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

Tony Gonzalez is the Chiefs’ mood ring. You can always tell how everybody feels after a Chiefs game by watching him. After big victories, Gonzalez, the Chiefs’ star tight end, bounces around, smiles big, talks about how great this team could be. After hard losses, he’s inconsolable. He sits with his uniform on and stares at his locker, torturing himself by going over the game play by play.

After Sunday’s loss to Philadelphia, Tony Gonzalez was very, very angry.

“What did the Eagles’ defense do to you?” he was asked.

“What did the defense do to me?” he asked back into the flurry of cameras and tape recorders. He gritted his teeth. “I’m not going to go there. Next question.”

Oh, he was mad. The Chiefs blew an 18-point lead Sunday and were beaten 37-31. Afterward, nobody really wanted the blame. Trent Green threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown, but Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil suggested that it wasn’t Green’s fault. Green wouldn’t talk about it. Larry Johnson fumbled late in the first half with the Chiefs up 18. Vermeil said plainly that wasn’t Johnson’s fault.

The offensive line allowed Green to get pummeled, but nobody really wanted to blame that on the loss of left tackle Willie Roaf. The defense allowed Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb to complete 24 of his last 33 passes for 284 yards and three touchdowns. That wasn’t their fault either. McNabb, Vermeil said, is not a normal guy.

So there was more blocking and shifting happening after the game than there was during the game. We think the 18-point blown deficit was the largest in Chiefs history, but we don’t even know that for sure. The Chiefs’ public-relations department would not confirm or deny it. They do know it’s the biggest comeback against the Chiefs since Carl Peterson arrived in 1989.

There was no blocking or shifting at Tony Gonzalez’s locker, though. Gonzalez caught two meaningless passes for 5 yards on Sunday. His first catch came on the last play of the first half. His second came with the Chiefs out of the game.

Gonzalez was plain ticked off.

“I didn’t go downfield at all,” he said. “It’s frustrating. I haven’t even sniffed the end zone this year. I’m not going to lie to you. I’m really frustrated.”

Through four games last season, Gonzalez had 18 catches for 228 yards and a touchdown. Through four games this season, he has almost as many catches — 16 — but for only 129 yards, and, as he mentioned, he hasn’t sniffed the end zone. His longest catch of the season is 17 yards, and that was in week one.

The last two weeks, Gonzalez has 34 yards receiving.

In those two games, he has not caught a pass longer than 8 yards.

The Chiefs say this is because teams are defending Gonzalez differently this year. They are double-teaming him more. They are lining up cornerbacks on him.

“It’s a lot different from last year,” Green said.

Gonzalez doesn’t buy it for one minute.

“I’m not pointing any fingers,” he said. “But defenses are not doing anything different now than they’ve ever done. Yeah, they’re double-teaming me. They’ve been double-teaming me ever since I got into this league.

“The Eagles didn’t do anything special to stop me. I just didn’t get the opportunity. I have to get the opportunity to do it. I need to get the ball to help this team win. I am a six-time Pro Bowler. We’ve always found ways to get me the ball in my hands before. I don’t know. I can’t tell you what’s going on. But it’s frustrating.”

From the outside, it’s clear that part of the problem is Roaf. His injury has not only affected the Chiefs on the field, it has psyched them out. Roaf’s absence has changed the way they play. Sunday, with 1:08 left in the first half and the Chiefs up 24-13, Vermeil decided to sit on the ball and go into the locker room. It was an utterly un-Vermeil-like move — he has staked his career on an attacking offense — but it just shows how scared the Chiefs are to drop Green back into the pocket without Roaf there to protect his back side.

Without Roaf, the Chiefs often kept Gonzalez in to pass block. On one play, they lined him up against brilliant pass rusher Jevon Kearse, which is absurd. Gonzalez was hopelessly overmatched. Kearse faked him out, sprinted around him and sacked Green. Gonzalez was so overwhelmed, he could not even grab Kearse, though he tried.

Then, this is not Tony Gonzalez’s game. He’s not a keep-in-to-block tight end. He’s one of the NFL’s great weapons. He was the first tight end to catch 100 passes last year. He has scored 54 touchdowns in his career.

“I don’t know what other guys are thinking about this,” he says. “But I don’t think we’re playing the way we’ve played for the last few years.”

He’s right. For the first time in a long while, this Chiefs offense is having an identity crisis. The team has scored more points the last three years than any other team in the NFL because everybody understood their role.

Now, though, it’s clear the coaches don’t know how to handle this Priest Holmes-Larry Johnson tandem. As mentioned, they have not adjusted to the loss of Roaf. Green is having an awful time throwing the ball downfield.

And the best tight end in football can’t get the ball.

“I’m just as fast, just as quick, just as strong,” Gonzalez said. “I’m probably stronger. So what’s the difference now? I don’t know. But it doesn’t matter to me why it’s happening. I just know if it stays like this I’m going to be frustrated.

“If they’re going to use me like this, then, maybe they should just move me for their own sake. I get paid too much money to not get the ball.”

Tony Gonzalez was angry. All around him, people quickly dressed and got out of the locker room. Those who stuck around tried to put a happy spin on this. The team is 2-2, which is not dreadful considering that the first four teams were tough. The Chiefs played well for a long time against Philadelphia and could have won were it not for the turnovers. The season has a long way to go. And so on.

Tony Gonzalez wasn’t buying any of that. Not after this game.

“I want to help this team win,” he said. “If they’ll let me.”

BigRock
10-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Damn, Tony's pissed. Hard to blame him, though. Hopefully it is just concern about Roaf being out that's leading the coaches to this. I guess we'll see in 2 weeks.

Fruit Ninja
10-03-2005, 01:51 AM
I agree, we have not used Tony G at all. same thing happend the first few games last year. Al Saunders is not a great offensive mastermind as everyone thinks he is. He makes really bad calls. I dont know whats going through Al's head, but he needs to get Tony G the ball more. QUIT bieng ****ing cute with your playcalling. Run the ****ing ball down thier throats and pass to Tony G.

Spicy McHaggis
10-03-2005, 02:09 AM
I have an offensive strategy for Al. Give Priest the rock. Throw the ball to Tony. Use EK to stretch the field. The End.

Taco John
10-03-2005, 02:09 AM
Which of these guys is wrong?

The Chiefs say this is because teams are defending Gonzalez differently this year. They are double-teaming him more. They are lining up cornerbacks on him.

“It’s a lot different from last year,” Green said.

Gonzalez doesn’t buy it for one minute.

“I’m not pointing any fingers,” he said. “But defenses are not doing anything different now than they’ve ever done. Yeah, they’re double-teaming me. They’ve been double-teaming me ever since I got into this league.

MadMax
10-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Al Saunders is wrong PERIOD!!! He is a Freaking joke at this point...Oh well i'm sure his nephew will jump my ass like he has in the past.. :shrug:

BigRock
Green knows what's going on. But like he said in Whitlock's article, he doesn't want to open a can of worms by piling on the coaches.

CoMoChief
Well, we need Roaf back, plain and simple. We all can see that Black can't handle the LT position just yet.

We have all been spoiled by an offensive line that has played together for a long period of time and has also stayed healthy. There are very few teams in this league that have the luxury of having a Roaf like calibur player. Roaf might be one of the top 3 LT's of all time. You can not replace a guy like that. He can take on the best of DL players in this league with ease.

Yes I know people are gonna say something like, well someone should at least be able to contain the position for a few weeks while he gets healthy. Everyone knew that the one person we could not afford to lose on our Oline was Roaf. He protects Green's blind side, and to have that kind of security blanket knowing that you can sit in the pocket and not worry about a damn thing is a luxury most teams do not have.

Black can not handle the LT position. A Roaf loss totally changes our gameplan. If someone can't protect the QB then you need to have a RB or TE double a DL or help out. Tony Gonzalez is pretty much pissed off at our Oline for not being able to man up and play. Instead of getting the ball thrown to, he has to sit back and pass protect. I'd be pretty pissed off too. Roaf will be back healthy and ready for us to put a pounding on an overrated Washington defense. Surely our defense can stop that shitty offense of theirs, and if we can't then we won't make the playoffs.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 02:23 AM
It's like 2001 all over again, except it's Black instead of Tait, and Sampson's young, too.

tk13
10-03-2005, 02:25 AM
It's like 2001 all over again, except it's Black instead of Tait, and Sampson's young, too.
There's some truth to that. I remember the days where every other person thought we'd have to trade TG because they thought he wouldn't succeed in our offense.

Spicy McHaggis
10-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Roaf will be back healthy and ready for us to put a pounding on an overrated Washington defense.

I hope you're right. Because that "overrated" defense is third in total d and 2nd against the run.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 02:33 AM
First three years in the system, he only had 73, 63 and 71 catches.

Of course, it could also be argued that the offense was at its best in '02 and '03. I still say last year wasn't what we want. More than 80 catches is too many. 'course, less than 60 would be too few.

I'd imagine he'll go on a streak eventually, a few 100-yard games.

Kennison's quietly having a fairly big year, yardage wise (23 for 349 so far - that's nearly a 1,400 yard pace, over 90 receptions) and I wonder if that's not eating at TG.

FlightPhan
10-03-2005, 04:08 AM
I know this is probably none of my business, but I agree that not using Gonzo was probably the dumbest move (or non-move) in the game. Here I thought we were shutting him down. Turns out he was being shut down from within. Weird.

By the way, their defense IS over rated...

They have played the Bears (W 9-7), Cowboys (W 14-13), and SeaHags (W 20-17). I wouldn't call any of them offensive stalwarts. The Cowboys had problems scoring on the Raiders for pete's sake...

MichaelH
10-03-2005, 04:41 AM
I would think that after all these years as a Chief, Tony G would get used to the frustration. It's the same story, year after year. Or rather the story may be different but the outcome is still the same. :shake:

Otter
10-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Is Roaf hurt? Wow, that's some groundbreaking news.

Guess what, as amazing of an athlete as Roaf is he's 35 years old playing a game that's made up of guys in their 20s. He's got 5 pints pumping through his viens and is made up of ligiments, muscles and knee caps like the rest of us. Who could have seen this coming?

Tired of it being the excuse of the week.

siberian khatru
10-03-2005, 06:03 AM
Good to see DV making excuses again. When you play good teams, it's OK to not be held accountable for your mistakes.

siberian khatru
10-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know. He's just shoveling BS in public so as not to embarrass players. I'm sure in private he rips them a new one.

Rukdafaidas
10-03-2005, 07:05 AM
I can understand Al keeping Tony in to block, but not for the entire game.
I also can't understand the Chiefs not allowing Trent to audible. That's just insane, he's one of the smartest QB's in the league.
I do understand why the Chiefs threw mostly short passes, but I also thought they didn't go down field nearly enough to keep the defense honest.
The good news is hopefully after the bye week Roaf will be fully healed and the play calling will probably be much more aggressive. I also bet that they start allowing Trent to audible.

BigChiefFan
10-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Up 17 points at the half and we lost the game-surely somebody can accept responsibility for the shit performance on Sunday.

morphius
10-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Without Roaf we have went to a lot more 3 step drops then we have been doing in a long time, so this is what is different and explains why we are not running anyone in deep patterns, including Tony.

morphius
10-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Up 17 points at the half and we lost the game-surely somebody can accept responsibility for the shit performance on Sunday.
Well, it was no single player you can blame. Have you ever seen Trent more pissed after an INT? Johnsons fumble I'm sure he saw the guy breaking right through the line as the ball was being handed to him. Sadly you can blame just about everyone for this loss, it was a real team effort.

BigRedChief
10-03-2005, 07:34 AM
We are playing too much zone. Surtain should be playing man to man.

Tony G is not a pass blocker he is an offensive weapon.

Priest is hot ohh welll got to stick with the plan. LJ get in there..fumble :banghead:

Sure we have players underperforming but it is looking more and more like a coaching issue.

BigChiefFan
10-03-2005, 07:41 AM
We are playing too much zone. Surtain should be playing man to man.

Tony G is not a pass blocker he is an offensive weapon.

Priest is hot ohh welll got to stick with the plan. LJ get in there..fumble :banghead:

Sure we have players underperforming but it is looking more and more like a coaching issue.
I agree Zone coverage sucks. Sure, there is a time and place for it, but we should be playing more man to man. I think McCleon's weak-ass play has forced us into zone coverage and hurt the D in the process.

jspchief
10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
On the same day that we see Antonio Gates catch a ball 35 yards downfield in a different game, we see Gonzo used mainly to block, and run an occasional 10 yard route.

Gonzalez is making too much money to be a blocking TE. Start using him like we're paying him.

Douche Baggins
10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Al Saunders is a dumbass.

brent102fire
10-03-2005, 09:57 AM
It's not a good sign when your All-Pro tight end has to ask for the ball or is asking to be traded... :shake:

Straight, No Chaser
10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
It's not a good sign when your All-Pro tight end has to ask for the ball or is asking to be traded... :shake:

This is bad. I know Tony's been frustrated before but he's always seemed to come out of it:

“If they’re going to use me like this, then, maybe they should just move me for their own sake. I get paid too much money to not get the ball.”

What's troubling is Trent was quoted as saying teams are covering Tony differently this year (with CB's). Tony is saying teams are NOT covering him any different than last year.
I'm afraid it's starting to get rotten in this organization.

--->

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Without Roaf we have went to a lot more 3 step drops then we have been doing in a long time, so this is what is different and explains why we are not running anyone in deep patterns, including Tony.The 2 step drop thin is getting old. But, so is the Chiefs Oline.

Maybe when Roaf comes back, he is old Roaf with a bum hammy and will never be the same Roaf.

Getting old sucks.

Extra Point
10-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Green ran for a couple first downs, agile enough. Why can't the coaches see that he can actually roll to the right and buy him some time to catch Tony G across the middle or one-on-one in the flat? Who would win with Tony G in the flat? The answer can be found at least 6 yards down the field. Since when can't Will Shields or Brian Waters block, and since when won't our backfield block, too?

Green has been deemed a pocket passer and Willie Roaf's absence has been blamed for the O's ineffectiveness. Isn't first thing a coach does, before coming up with plays, is find out who has talent at the respective positions, and generate the plays according to the talent on the field?

Danan Hughes on Metro Sports put it very simply: You don't make a great receiver like Tony G into a blocking TE only.

Unused weapons are not useful. Let's use the good tools we have.

Dunit35
10-03-2005, 12:30 PM
this isnt good..it seems that players are starting to turn on each other..if that happens...we cant do anything..

Chiefs Pantalones
10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Fan- Tough luck, Coach Vermeil. You'll get the next one.

DV- What?

Fan- Better luck next time!

DV- What?

Fan- YOU'RE TOO OLD AND SENILE TO BE COACH!!!

DV- I might comeback, this job is easy. What's going on?! We're a good football team.

Fan- WTF?

Raiderhader
10-03-2005, 12:40 PM
While I do agree with Gonzo in general, he did drop a pass yesterday that was right in his hands. I am in no way excusing the play calling, but if he wants to help this team win as badly as he says, he needs to make the most of the few opportunities he is getting.

chiefs4me
10-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Anybody dissing tony can go to hell and I will be happy to show you the way...
I wish he would tell DV to **** off and go play somewhere everyweek where I can watch him do what he does best.....:harumph:

and save the pm's please.....:rolleyes:

Raiderhader
10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
I wish he would tell DV to **** off and go play somewhere everyweek where I can watch him do what he does best.....:harumph:

and save the pm's please.....:rolleyes:

Since I am the only who came close to "dissing" Gonzo, I am going to assume this was directed at me. I was not dissing him, I was merely pointing out that the self described playmaker dropped an easy one. I am actually more empathetic with him in regards to this situation than I am upset about the drop. He is a playmaker, he does need to see the ball more, but he also needs to catch it when he does see it.

Wallcrawler
10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Im the most angry with Saunders for the way that he just complicates the hell out of everything by running all this cutesy f'in bullshit with the football.

Its very simple.

Waters/Wiegmann/Shields is as good of an interior line as youre gonna find in the league.

Priest Holmes is rock solid.

Tony Gonzalez is our biggest threat in the passing game.

Hand the ball to Holmes. Cram the football down the throat of the opposing team.

When they come up to stop it, get the ball to Gonzalez.

Simple.

No no, lets run reverses, 4 or 5 shifts every play and line up Holmes at wide receiver a few times.

Saunders just gets bored with conventional playcalling. There's no other explanation.

When this team plays smashmouth, in your face football, they cant be stopped. See the Ravens game where the Chiefs offense destroyed the Ravens defense and reduced Ray Lewis to a whining bitch for the entire game.

Thats too easy for Al. If hes not running some smoke and mirrors bullshit, reverses, and all around ridiculous plays so that he can entertain himself, he gets bored.

I mean, anyone can call a handoff to Priest, and a pass to Tony Gonzalez. It takes a real genius to try to get his offense down the field while minimizing the touches that the best players on the offense get.... :rolleyes:

I just wish he would stop with that BS. Its not working. ITS NOT AGAINST THE RULES TO USE YOUR BEST PLAYERS.

Gonzalez is having a horrible start, bad enough he is calling out the Chiefs and saying give me the ball or trade me, and this offense cant stay on the field.

Take your head out of your ass, Saunders, or take your ass out of Kansas City. Go to St Louis with Mike Martz if you want to act ignorant.

chiefs4me
10-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Im the most angry with Saunders for the way that he just complicates the hell out of everything by running all this cutesy f'in bullshit with the football.

Its very simple.

Waters/Wiegmann/Shields is as good of an interior line as youre gonna find in the league.

Priest Holmes is rock solid.

Tony Gonzalez is our biggest threat in the passing game.

Hand the ball to Holmes. Cram the football down the throat of the opposing team.

When they come up to stop it, get the ball to Gonzalez.

Simple.

No no, lets run reverses, 4 or 5 shifts every play and line up Holmes at wide receiver a few times.

Saunders just gets bored with conventional playcalling. There's no other explanation.

When this team plays smashmouth, in your face football, they cant be stopped. See the Ravens game where the Chiefs offense destroyed the Ravens defense and reduced Ray Lewis to a whining bitch for the entire game.

Thats too easy for Al. If hes not running some smoke and mirrors bullshit, reverses, and all around ridiculous plays so that he can entertain himself, he gets bored.

I mean, anyone can call a handoff to Priest, and a pass to Tony Gonzalez. It takes a real genius to try to get his offense down the field while minimizing the touches that the best players on the offense get.... :rolleyes:

I just wish he would stop with that BS. Its not working. ITS NOT AGAINST THE RULES TO USE YOUR BEST PLAYERS.

Gonzalez is having a horrible start, bad enough he is calling out the Chiefs and saying give me the ball or trade me, and this offense cant stay on the field.

Take your head out of your ass, Saunders, or take your ass out of Kansas City. Go to St Louis with Mike Martz if you want to act ignorant.

:thumb:

tommykat
10-03-2005, 05:29 PM
While I do agree with Gonzo in general, he did drop a pass yesterday that was right in his hands. I am in no way excusing the play calling, but if he wants to help this team win as badly as he says, he needs to make the most of the few opportunities he is getting.

Jamie,
This wasn't the first time Gonzo has had dropsey hands! Sad but true.

Donger
10-03-2005, 06:18 PM

I'll just ask your husband.

Heh. Shades of Denise.

Frankie
10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
From the outside, it’s clear that part of the problem is Roaf. His injury has not only affected the Chiefs on the field, it has psyched them out. Roaf’s absence has changed the way they play. Sunday, with 1:08 left in the first half and the Chiefs up 24-13, Vermeil decided to sit on the ball and go into the locker room. It was an utterly un-Vermeil-like move — he has staked his career on an attacking offense — but it just shows how scared the Chiefs are to drop Green back into the pocket without Roaf there to protect his back side.
That's dead on. My problem wuith that is Black has been talked up as being Roaf's heir apparent. I was buying that too and was having high hopes for his developement. But this doesn't bode well for our future at LT in that if Black had ANY talent to play LT, he showed have started showing it by now. Seems to me he remains the same liability now as he was in the first game. Very discouraging. I'm not asking for him to be Roaf yet. All I want to see in him is gradual improvement. But I have seen NONE!

Now, though, it’s clear the coaches don’t know how to handle this Priest Holmes-Larry Johnson tandem.
I have never been a great LJ fan and in the past have called for his trade. And yes I was begining to cook some crow to eat after the second game. Now the crow goes to the garbage can. Yes LJ is fast and powerful. But that's if an obvious hole is there. When it's not, he doesn't seem to find a small hole and go through it. At this point, and him having gotten some exposure to the NFL, I'm wondering if he shouldn't be shopped around for a good DT.

Skip Towne
10-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Shut up, woman. The men are talking.

JBucc
10-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Looking at what the chargers are doing with Gates and what we're doing with Gonzalez makes me sick

Straight, No Chaser
10-03-2005, 07:06 PM
...Its very simple.

Waters/Wiegmann/Shields is as good of an interior line as you're gonna find in the league.

Priest Holmes is rock solid...

Hand the ball to Holmes. Cram the football down the throat of the opposing team...

Simple...
Agree with much of what you said except, if I'm not mistaken, Holmes' yards weren't gained between the tackles yesterday. The Eagles have a big interior D-line and for the majority of quarters 2,3, and 4 got plenty penetration (especially on the Johnson "fumble"). I tend go with DV on the fumble and say it wasn't Larry's fault, it was more dumb AL --who TF calls a delay hand-off to a rookie when the Eagles were beginning to set up camp in our backfield?

Sorry, but I'm beginning to think teams are loading up on our O-Line. We've rode that line for the better part of three years now and while our players aren't getting younger, the addition of two rooks, and the Roaf injury, the opposition has got us figured out and are scheming us...

--->

chiefs4me
10-03-2005, 07:20 PM
I'll just ask your husband.

Heh. Shades of Denise.

I am in no mood for you tonight, so can we just get it over with.....:rolleyes:

Sure-Oz
10-03-2005, 08:21 PM
the play calling sucks esp passing, get ****in gonzo involved and throw downfield damnit. Let the run set up the damn pass, they need to look at tapes of last year.

KCJake
10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
I can understand where Tony G is coming from. I just still can't get over the drop he had against the Eagles. 3rd and 6? 3rd and 7 maybe. The football hit him right in the numbers. Another 3 and out for the offense. Everybody drops passes. I wasn't even going to bring it up, until I read about the fit Tony threw after the game.

Joe Seahawk
10-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Tony should just go mace his tight ends coach..

:p

Johnson&Johnson
10-03-2005, 11:09 PM

I love this thread. Yea. Saunders you been hangin out with Martz way too much. Al, please go to the other side of Missouri and F**k yourself!

Jim Jones
10-04-2005, 12:37 AM
You know what, SCREW YOU Tony Gonzalez. I'm sick of these f'n primadonna football players. We've got problems a terrible d-line, problems in the secondary, problems along the O-line, a frigging multi-million dollar bust at LB and Tony Gonzalez is whining that he's not getting enough catches. Well boo ****ing hoo, let me go grab a tissue and wipe up my tears. He is supposed to be a leader on this team and in the 4th week, with all the problems we have, all he cares about is getting catches. Brilliant! A guy like that should be trying to bring the damn team together, not (as much as will try to deny he's doing this) pointing fingers at others.

Extra Point
10-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Len Dawson had an excellent point last night after MNF: They have an extra week to get back to the fundamentals of the game.

One fundament from the past few years is passing the ball to Tony G et al when you find a hole in the coverage.

Another is running the ball with Tony R. in the backfield lead-blocking.

Another is making your opponent cough up the ball more than you do (preferably, none for us), and scoring after your opponent coughs up the ball.

Take away the Dante Hall and Larry Johnson fumbles, and provided we succeed in converting for first downs pounding the rock, we.... STFU

Raiderhader
10-04-2005, 09:00 AM
You know what, SCREW YOU Tony Gonzalez. I'm sick of these f'n primadonna football players. We've got problems a terrible d-line, problems in the secondary, problems along the O-line, a frigging multi-million dollar bust at LB and Tony Gonzalez is whining that he's not getting enough catches. Well boo ****ing hoo, let me go grab a tissue and wipe up my tears. He is supposed to be a leader on this team and in the 4th week, with all the problems we have, all he cares about is getting catches. Brilliant! A guy like that should be trying to bring the damn team together, not (as much as will try to deny he's doing this) pointing fingers at others.

I appreciate what you are saying, and partly agree with it. However, I also partly disagree with it. Playmakers are supposed to want the ball, it is their nature. They want the ball because they know they can make a difference, that is why they are called playmakers. Show me someone who doesn't want the ball, and I'll show you someone who really doesn't care about the game. From where I am sitting, I am glad to see that someone on the team still has the fire and passion to win, because many of them seem to be lacking that right now.

Gonzo's statements can be take in a selfish light, or they can be taken in as the words of a frustrated man who has just watched his team drop two very embarrassing games. If he were saying this while we were winning I'd more inclined to go with the former, but I'm not so sure that is the case.

Johnson&Johnson
10-04-2005, 09:50 AM
raiderhader is 100% on the money with his take on Gonzo.

"From where I am sitting, I am glad to see that someone on the team still has the fire and passion to win, because many of them seem to be lacking that right now."

And I second you on that! After two weeks of offensive disgrace (going 3 and out), I am shocked no one else other than Tony got pissed.

ClevelandChief
10-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Damn, Tony's pissed. Hard to blame him, though. Hopefully it is just concern about Roaf being out that's leading the coaches to this. I guess we'll see in 2 weeks.

Even if it is, what happens if Roaf come back, reinjuries the hammy and is down for the season? Does that mean we should just tone down everything and finish 2-14? That's dumb as hell, yeah Roaf is a force, but to switch up our game plans just because he is out shows that our coaching staff has the mentality of a 22 year old pee wee football coaching staff.

Cormac
10-04-2005, 10:04 AM
I think a little bit of this piss and vinegar is just what the doctor ordered for this team. Nobody is doing a very good job right now - except for Eddie Kennison. I'm glad that Trent got pissed off, and Gonzo too. Would it be better if they just played the party-line and said "we just have to go to work"? This team is far too mature, experienced and tight-knit for a little aggravation to become a problem, IMO. I expect that this can only help the coaching staff address some of the shortcomings thus far. If they don't at least consider what Trent and Gonzo have to say, they are arrogant beyond belief.

I think our O can be fixed (esp with Roaf returning).

I still think our D has shown improvement. They have played poorly at times, but the players are there. There should be some serious ass-chewing going on over the next 10 days, and we can follow that up with a whupping of the pretender Redskins. If we lose the next game, we're in trouble (IMO). But if we put up a solid performance, I still think we're playoff bound.

Frankie
10-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah Gonzo needs to take his diapers off!;)

Jokes aside though, Gonzo's case and when LJ extracted that comment from DV are very different. While LJ hadn't proven himself, Gonzo has been perhaps the top Chiefs weapon next to Priest. Priest's role has been diminished to keep LJ from bitching. Gonzo's role as a weapon has been diminished to keep Green from being killed. There's plenty of frustration, and rightly so. That said, I think Gonzo should try keeping the venting in-house first, before having to go public with it.

Johnson&Johnson
10-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Gonzo's role as a weapon has been diminished to keep Green from being killed. There's plenty of frustration, and rightly so. That said, I think Gonzo should try keeping the venting in-house first, before having to go public with it.

How do you know Gonzo didn't start venting during or after the Donkeys game? A player of his caliber should be pissed and now isn't that bad of a timing since the offense have looked inconsistent after week 1. If Gonzo had spoken up say 8-10 games into the season and we're 3-7, then you guys would again blame Gonzo for keeping quiet all this time for not taking up the role of a leader in bringing up his frustration and concerns about coaching earlier.

DMAC
10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
If he is the greatest tight end in history mabye he should just get open. I love the guy, but I think he needs to show his character and vent to the head coaches, not to the media.

Johnson&Johnson
10-04-2005, 12:17 PM
If he is the greatest tight end in history mabye he should just get open. I love the guy, but I think he needs to show his character and vent to the head coaches, not to the media.

Vent to the Head Coach? Do you let it all out to your wife or girlfriend or mom when she's tearing up?

DV: Come in Tony...

TG: Coach... about the last two games... arrghhh... I have not

DV: Can you pass me some Kleenex

TG: But coach...

DV: <choking up> I understand your frustra... <wipes his eyes> tration