PDA

View Full Version : Not to paint a rosy picture, or make excuses, but..

donkhater
10-03-2005, 08:23 AM
at the beginning of the year this is about what I thought the AFC West would look like.

Denver 3-1

Thought:
Miami W
SD W
KC W
Jac L

Actually was:

Miami L
SD W
KC W
Jac W

San Diego 2-2

Thought:
Dallas W
Denver L
NYG W
NE L

Actually was:
Dallas L
Denver L
NYG W
NE W

KC 2-2

Thought:
NYJ W
Oak L
Den L
Philly W

Actually was:
NYJ W
Oak W
Den L
Philly L

Oakland 1-3

Thought:
NE L
KC W
Philly L
Dallas W

Actually was:

NE L
KC L
Philly L
Dallas W

So after four weeks the standings aren't all that different from what I thought they'd be. I guess I'd be a little more optimistic if the Defense didn't look like the 32 defense and the Chiefs offense actully had some rythym.

Don't kid yourselves, though. Roaf, for this offense, is HUGE. He makes a BIG, BIG difference. The defense looked awful yesterday, but 4 turnovers by the offense coupled with mutltiple 3 and outs isn't going to do them any favors. I see a totally different team after the bye week as long as they don't get too down on themselves.

Two weeks ago the season was over for the Chargers, now they've just beat NE on the road and are filled with confidence. I HOPE KC can do the same.

redhed
10-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I think most of us had this team going 2-2. I did, but it's the way the Chiefs lost these last 2 that really burns me. A no-show in a huge div road game followed by giving up the largest lead ever (that I've seen in 20+years) at home? Total crap.
We knew the faids were crap, but now it seems the shine is wearing offa that Jets win.

donkhater
10-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I think most of us had this team going 2-2. I did, but it's the way the Chiefs lost these last 2 that really burns me. A no-show in a huge div road game followed by giving up the largest lead ever (that I've seen in 20+years) at home? Total crap.
We knew the faids were crap, but now it seems the shine is wearing offa that Jets win.
I hear ya, and I feel the same way. But...

I know this is just an excuse, but Roaf does make a difference. Before the season everyone was talking about the age of the Chiefs offense and I countered that I thought the only two players on KC offense that they cannot afford to lose to injury were Roaf and Green. Primarily because there was a HUGE drop off in their backups.

Yes, the defense looks uninsipring, but the offense and special teams had 4 turnovers that resulted in short fields and/or points outright.

There is a reason that good defensive teams usually don't coincide with great risk-taking offensive teams. Turnovers and inconsistent results give defenses short fields to often. Look at the really good defenses in the league right now. Not many of them have an offense even close to what KC has had in the last 3 years.

Add a healthy Roaf, and the running game improves. Pass protection improves. Gonzalez doesn't have to stay in and block. Al Saunders calls play a little more confidently. They put pressure on the opposing offense to score.

They were doing that yesterday despite our bad defense. Until..

Trent throws a pick for an INT
LJ fumbles (due to Kearse blitzing from the left side. Gee, I wonder who could have made a difference there?) giving the Eagles a short field and ultimately a TD.

Philly is good. Damn good. It was maybe the first time I've ever said that KC gave a game away and should have lost at the same time.

el borracho
10-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes, we will get more production on offense and win some games this year but utltimately we go nowhere without a Dline.