PDA

View Full Version : Steadman on the ring of honor? WTF? Some Splaining is needed

BigRedChief
10-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Would someone care to explain why Steadman gets to be on the ring of honor?

He ran this franchise into the ground. We endured some of the darkest days ever as Chief fans because of him.

He should be fired not honored. I know he's Lamars buddy and I'm sure he's making alot of money for Lamar but the ring of honor is for football accomplishments. WTF did he ever accomplish? Someon has some splaining to do.:cuss:

Bowser
10-03-2005, 08:01 AM
He's one of Lamar Hunts' best friends. Look no further than that.

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 08:01 AM
We know his football operations sucked after the 60's , but the HMW mines and WOF were his projects......Lamar's way of honoring him.

BigChiefFan
10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
See 17 years of Carl Peterson still having a job. Lamar rewards those that help make him richer.

tomahawk kid
10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
He got a better reception yesterday than he probably deserved.

jspchief
10-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Steadman was with the Chiefs during their Superbowl years. I don't know what position he held at that time, but if he was part of that late 60s team, I can respect that.

BigRedChief
10-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Steadman was with the Chiefs during their Superbowl years. I don't know what position he held at that time, but if he was part of that late 60s team, I can respect that.

I call BS. What did he do after the formation of the team? Bell, Lanier, Dawson, Taylor, Stram etc was there from the first game here in KC.

What did he do to sustain it? There was no free agency. He ran it into the ground while he made money for Lamar off of WOF and the mines so Lamar pays him back for making him money.

The ring of honor has been cheapned by the addition of the name Steadman up there next to Derrick Thomas.

redhed
10-03-2005, 08:30 AM
The ring of honor has been cheapned by the addition of the name Steadman up there next to Derrick Thomas.

BRC=Nailed it

gblowfish
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Jack Steadman is a glorified bean counter. He was Lamar's room mate in college. He was GM before Carl, and if you think Carl was incompetent, check the draft record under Steadman. Brutal.

The Chiefs sucked from 1973 until the Marty/Carl 2 headed monster in 1988. That's 15 years with only one playoff appearance under Jack's watch. The Chiefs snuck into the playoffs one time as a wild card, then got their ass kicked by the Jets in the first round. This was the Bill Kenney-Todd Blackledge era. And believe me...if you think today is a dark day, God Forbid we have another 15 year stretch of crap like that era. Steadman ran the Chiefs and Worlds of Fun at the same time, and ran them both the same way, stricty for amusement. He fired Hank Stram. He fired Marv Levy. He first round drafted Todd Blackledge, Willie Scott, Brian Jozwiak, Ethan Horton and Anthony Hancock. Who? Exactly. He was and still is clueless. He's also been the main whip behind all the Bi-State stadium BS, and the main guy behind threatening Jackson County to move the Chiefs to the Kansas side. The guy is nothing more than a money grubbing stuffed suit. He could give a rat's ass about the average fan. He's about rich people and all about raking in mucho dinero for Uncle Lamar.

The ring of honor in the stadium should be strictly for players and coaches. No administrators. Hell man, there's probably some electrician or janitor that's been with the Chiefs since 1960. Should we put his name on the ring too? They ought to do something like name the executive washroom after Steadman. He kept this team in the dumper for 15 years, so why not? Think he has no effect on things? Did you notice after he hit the field at halftime, the Chiefs went in the tank. Poetic justice. And how much are we all going to puke when King Carl put his own name up there too? Don't laugh, it'll happen.

chagrin
10-03-2005, 08:44 AM
nice

ChiefsCountry
10-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I have a little different view of Steadman. For one he has done business with my family in the past. That changes your view on alot of things.

But to the Ring of Honor thing. While the football side of him wasn't very good at all, he was the one that was responsible for Arrowhead Stadium. He was Lamar's man on that project.

NewChief
10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
What's the problem? He's a great artist!

Brock
10-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a little different view of Steadman. For one he has done business with my family in the past. That changes your view on alot of things.

But to the Ring of Honor thing. While the football side of him wasn't very good at all, he was the one that was responsible for Arrowhead Stadium. He was Lamar's man on that project.

He also was point man on the merger.

ChiefsCountry
10-03-2005, 09:32 AM
He also was point man on the merger.

Yep. While Chiefs fans remember the piss poor 80's from his player personal decisions, he has been the man that has made Lamar look like the genius.

gblowfish
10-03-2005, 09:35 AM

But to the Ring of Honor thing. While the football side of him wasn't very good at all, he was the one that was responsible for Arrowhead Stadium. He was Lamar's man on that project.I'm not sure how your business dealing has changed your view. Hopefully he treated his vendors over the years better than his head coaches. And respectfully, Steadman was not "responsible" for the creation of Arrowhead. He was the Chiefs point man, but it was the taxpayers of Jackson County who PAID to build the place who were responsible for its existence. Or how about J.E. Dunn Construction who actually built it? Or KC Star Sportswriter Joe McGuff who helped sell the idea of a sports complex to the taxpayers? All Steadman did was wear a hard hat and check the blueprints. The Chiefs have one of the sweetest deals on a stadium, especially since they don't own the joint. Sorry man, if he's a nice guy, that's cool. But I'm so so so against his name being on the ring because it's an inappropriate forum for administrators. It cheapens the honor for those who made a difference on the field.

Rain Man
10-03-2005, 09:36 AM
He had a great draft in 1963, so Lamar has rewarded him by keeping him around for another 40+ years.

Peterson drafted Derrick Thomas in 1989, which was a good move, so...

BigRedChief
10-03-2005, 11:34 AM

I call BS. He wasn't a mover or shaker. Bartle was the man that pushed it thorough. Fokelore has that supposely the "Chiefs" are named after his nickname.

Mr. Krab
10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
The Chiefs have a very hard time with the separation of business/football. They have some very good businessmen and some very mediocre footballmen.

chiefqueen
10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I was pleasantly surprised the crowd did not boo him during the ceremony yesterday. I went to the game expecting to hear some.