PDA

View Full Version : Is U2 really this big?

tk13
10-05-2005, 01:23 AM
I mean I like them and all, but are they like the modern day Beatles or what?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051004/ap_en_tv/tv_o_brien_u2

Conan to Turn Entire Show Over to U2 Tue Oct 4, 5:47 PM ET

NEW YORK - In his 12 years in charge of booking musical guests on Conan O'Brien's "Late Night," Jim Pitt always listed U2 and Johnny Cash as the dream artists he'd tried but never succeeded in getting.

He lost his chance with the late Cash, but the U2 dream is coming true Thursday in a major way.

O'Brien will turn over his entire show to the band, which is in New York for seven sold-out engagements at Madison Square Garden.

"We were able to offer them something to feel enough like an event for them to do the show," Pitt said. "It's basically `Late Night with Conan O'Brien,' the U2 edition."

The NBC show has never before devoted itself entirely to a musical guest, although it gave major time a few years back to a holiday appearance by bandleader Max Weinberg's other employer, Bruce Springsteen.

O'Brien's a big U2 fan, and made a personal connection by talking at length with Bono during breaks in rehearsals for the band's "Saturday Night Live" appearance last season, Pitt said.

It may be a nervous time for Bono, who is nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his work in trying to ease Third World poverty. People who watch the Nobel closely list the lead singer as one of the favorites. The winner is expected to be named Friday.

The band is expected to perform three songs and be interviewed by O'Brien.

Pitt is not pushing for any material in particular.

"When U2 decides they want to come on the show for an hour, you don't get too picky about what they play," he said.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-05-2005, 01:30 AM
they are realy rocking right now, guess they all ways have

im not a huge fan but i like some of there stuff

Taco John
10-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Big enough to take over the Conan show?

How big do you really have to be for that?

I mean I like Conan and all, but is he like the modern day Ed Sullivan or what?

tk13
10-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Well I mean he's pretty popular I think... at least he seems that way to me. I'd bet if you took a poll he'd be the most popular late night host. He's gonna take over the Tonight Show when Leno retires in a few years, so it's not like he's a hack...

Cochise
10-05-2005, 06:06 AM
U2 is teh ghey

Phobia
10-05-2005, 06:35 AM
No to U2. No also to Conan.

RedDread
10-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Leave Conan out of this dammit! :cuss:

Thig Lyfe
10-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Conan r00lz!!!

Saulbadguy
10-05-2005, 06:52 AM
They have a fairly large and devout following.

JimNasium
10-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Conan? No. Montel? Now that would be huge.

Fire Me Boy!
10-05-2005, 07:00 AM
http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10102000/10102058.jpg

Duck Dog
10-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Oh wow, a whole hour of listening to millionaires tell us how hungry people are. Yippie!!!

Brock
10-05-2005, 07:23 AM
That ipod commercial killed them for me.

|Zach|
10-05-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't mind U2. Hit and miss.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-05-2005, 07:26 AM
U2 is the greatest band ever.

|Zach|
10-05-2005, 07:27 AM
I never thought "Zoopera" got the respect it deserved. But I also say the same thing about the Rueben's at Springfield Brewing Company.

KC Jones
10-05-2005, 07:40 AM
are they like the modern day Beatles or what?

IMO, yes. No band will ever reach the same type of zenith the Beatles did but U2 is about as close as you can get in this modern era. It's funny you brought this up because a few months back I was trying to think of a recent popular rock band that like the Beatles had continued to put out great music all while exploring new sounds and done it for a long long time. I ultimately settled on U2. (emphasis on 'popular rock band' - single performers, non-rock, or acts with smaller followings don't count)

Cochise
10-05-2005, 07:48 AM
U2 is one of those acts where you hear a song, and it sounds allright - not great, but bearable, maybe you won't change the station when it comes on - and then slowly drives you into insanity the next 47 million times you hear it. Combine the radio overplay with the fact that they have sold all their music to every commerical ever to play on television, perform at every crappy awards show or political event, and I dont think anyone has ever been more overexposed with respect to talent.

I mean, I have the joshua tree like everyone else, but that was 1987. When was the last time they put out something that wasn't a bland turd of a record? Not to mention their PR agency marketing that has them someplace new every day pimping their poor and downtrodden cause-du-jour.

I guess 'overexposed' and 'mediocre' don't even begin to rise to the level to describe them.

Brock
10-05-2005, 07:51 AM
I mean, I have the joshua tree like everyone else, but that was 1987. When was the last time they put out something that wasn't a bland turd of a record?

I'd have to agree. Their music in the 80s was experimental, yet it had hooks. Everything from 91 forward is pretty much "Eh".

Hoover
10-05-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm a huge U2 fan. I like their music, they put on a great concert, but Bono is special. He is not like other Celebs who have their pet causes. Bono works behind the sceens to make progress.

Cochise
10-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I'd have to agree. Their music in the 80s was experimental, yet it had hooks. Everything from 91 forward is pretty much "Eh".

It's kind of like watching Vinny Testaverde run it out there.

15 years ago they sort of looked allright on occasion, you knew deep down they were shitty but they did something allright once in a while. Nowadays you see them and are just like damn, you suck, hang it up already.

stevieray
10-05-2005, 08:11 AM
U2 kicks ass.

what other rock band can sell out a week @ MSG ?

Brock
10-05-2005, 08:14 AM
U2 kicks ass.

I think they live on E Street.

stevieray
10-05-2005, 08:16 AM
I think they live on E Street.

well, there you go...that's pretty damn good company.

jAZ
10-05-2005, 08:18 AM
I was kinda thinking about this the other day (after hearing someone comment about John Lennon's remark at the time that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus).

I don't think there is such a thing as the modern-day Beatles. It seems people have too many entertainment choices now to ever have that kind of a run (in such a short period of time) again.

However U2 is *that big* in their own right. You might consider them that modern-day Rolling Stones in that they are hugely popular for decade after decade after decade... and are larger than life media figures.

chagrin
10-05-2005, 08:33 AM
U2 is teh ghey
ROFL

I wonder in Boner is going to wear his ghey sparkling silver cowboy-toy outfit for the show

chagrin
10-05-2005, 08:36 AM
are they like the modern day Beatles or what?

I was trying to think of a recent popular rock band that like the Beatles had continued to put out great music all while exploring new sounds and done it for a long long time. I ultimately settled on U2. (emphasis on 'popular rock band' - single performers, non-rock, or acts with smaller followings don't count)

I understand you theory, but you are forgetting RUSH. They have been exploring new sounds and continue to put out great music for 30-35 years now. They still headline and ell out shows, with less than 50% of the airplay and publicity that U2 has behind them.

Just my 2 cents on that particular part of the topic

ChiTown
10-05-2005, 08:39 AM
U2 kicks ass.

I saw them for the first time in 1983 (Colorado - Red Rocks). The greatest concert I've ever been to. I drove out there from KC with 3 of my buddies and got tickets right before the show.

They flat out kick ass as a live band.

stevieray
10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
I saw them for the first time in 1983 (Colorado - Red Rocks). The greatest concert I've ever been to. I drove out there from KC with 3 of my buddies and got tickets right before the show.

That's the show they filmed the Sunday Bloody Sunday video.

ChiTown
10-05-2005, 08:46 AM
That's the show they filmed the Sunday Bloody Sunday video.

Yep. Seriously, it was a phenomenal experience. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I was hooked after that concert, and I'm a huge fan today. I'm not into his political and social injustice scene - I just really like the music.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
When was the last time they put out something that wasn't a bland turd of a record?
I think "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Honestly. It's as good as "The Joshua Tree" and "The Unforgettable Fire" to me but with a totally different subject matter. That versatility is part of what makes them great in my book.

Yes "Vertigo" was overplayed. So what. Doesn't make it a bad song. Blame radio and the process that is in place to sell records.

Musical tastes are completely subjective so it doesn't matter what I say to you or you say to me, we're going to like and dislike what we want.

As for longevity, ability to adapt, guts to work outside their comfort zone, sales, popularity and just plain talent I don't see another band that can hold U2's jockstrap.

Rain Man
10-05-2005, 08:54 AM
"How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" rocks. I'm not a huge U2 fan, but that album is very, very good.

Hoover
10-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Yep. Seriously, it was a phenomenal experience. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I was hooked after that concert, and I'm a huge fan today. I'm not into his political and social injustice scene - I just really like the music.
I saw them in Ames a long time ago and I have been hooked ever since.

chefsos
10-05-2005, 09:31 AM

There was a U2 Red Rocks concert on some late night cable show, "Night Flight" was the name, I believe. It kicked ass. It was rainy or misty, making it kinda surreal. Same show?

StcChief
10-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Bono is the only 'rock 'n roll' entertainment guy that gets audiences with world leaders for his causes/ opinions.

Apparently doing good work on the side. When he's not touring / recording.

Music is hit and miss like most bands.

ChiTown
10-05-2005, 10:03 AM
There was a U2 Red Rocks concert on some late night cable show, "Night Flight" was the name, I believe. It kicked ass. It was rainy or misty, making it kinda surreal. Same show?

I'm guessing so. They did an Album there called Under A Blood Red Sky - Live at Red Rocks. The video they often show (showed) from that concert was Sunday, Bloody Sunday.

Funny thing, only two of the songs off that album were actually from the Red Rocks concert - Gloria and Party Girl. The rest were taken from a concert recorded in West Germany (at that time).

Iowanian
10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I've never been a U2 fan.........I don't think they have 3 songs I even like.

pffffffffffffffffffft.

ChiTown
10-05-2005, 10:09 AM

pffffffffffffffffffft.

I like Snickers, but I hate Milky Way's.

Fat Elvis
10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I understand you theory, but you are forgetting RUSH. They have been exploring new sounds and continue to put out great music for 30-35 years now. They still headline and ell out shows, with less than 50% of the airplay and publicity that U2 has behind them.

Yeah, but the main difference between U2 and Rush is that Rush sucks donkey nads and U2 doesn't....

The ONLY good thing to come out of Rush was Geddy Lee's collaboration with Bob and Doug McKenzie for Take Off .

KcMizzou
10-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I like several of their old songs, but the new stuff doesnt do much for me. I could take 'em or leave 'em. Meh...

KcMizzou
10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but the main difference between U2 and Rush is that Rush sucks donkey nads and U2 doesn't....

ROFL :clap:

tk13
10-05-2005, 04:23 PM
U2 kicks ass.

Good point, that is pretty impressive.

2bikemike
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I am not a U2 fan. I personally think they are overrated. But to each his own.

KC Jones
10-05-2005, 07:12 PM

Except as has already been pointed out, Rush sucks. I understand they are very popular with the chubby 40 somethings still sporting mullets. To each their own.

:D

CosmicPal
10-05-2005, 07:25 PM
U2 kicks ass.

The Grateful Dead. They used to sell out five-six night stands in NY and SF all the time. Of course, the hippies had no place else to go once they got there, but the Dead at that time were selling out repeated nights in most major cities.

ENDelt260
10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
It may be a nervous time for Bono, who is nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize

ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME?!?

When I started reading this thread my thought was simply, "Man, f*ck U2." But, that line sent me over the edge.

ENDelt260
10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
U2 is the greatest band ever.
They're no Tim McGraw.

ENDelt260
10-05-2005, 07:43 PM

F*ck Rush even more.

tk13
10-05-2005, 08:30 PM

When I started reading this thread my thought was simply, "Man, f*ck U2." But, that line sent me over the edge.
Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Bono

The only three names you need to know.

jAZ
10-05-2005, 08:38 PM

Why is that outrageous?

Brock
10-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Why is that outrageous?

I agree. If Kofi Annan and Yasser Arafat can win one, why the hell shouldn't a meaningless carnie pop star?

Bowser
10-05-2005, 08:45 PM
They're no Tim McGraw.

Heh. Gotta get in the way-back machine to get that smack......

jAZ
10-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I agree. If Kofi Annan and Yasser Arafat can win one, why the hell shouldn't a meaningless carnie pop star?
Maybe I'm missing the part where you list his actions/accomplishments and show how they are unworthy.

I have no idea really what he's been doing over the years, but I also don't see how being a pop star makes any actions "meaningless".

Feel free to educate me with the facts of the matter that you are so clearly familiar with.... unless of course you are just talking out your ass.

Of course, that's not possible... not YOU!

:rolleyes:

KC Jones
10-05-2005, 09:34 PM
I think this thread is proof that the members of this forum can get into a nasty tizzy over *ANYTHING*

ROFL

tk13
10-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I think this thread is proof that the members of this forum can get into a nasty tizzy over *ANYTHING*

ROFL
I disagree you worthless slimeball.

Okay, I got nothin.

Jenson71
10-05-2005, 09:37 PM

ROFL

You're missing a period, dumbass.

Mr. Kotter
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
U2 is fine....good.

Conan? I'll usually take PBS, A&E, or the weather channel over him...

tk13
10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
U2 is fine....good.

Conan? I'll usually take PBS, A&E, or the weather channel over him...
Ehh, I think you're more of a Bravo kinda guy... :hmmm:

jAZ
10-05-2005, 09:44 PM

ROFL
ROFL

KC Jones
10-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Ehh, I think you're more of a Bravo kinda guy... :hmmm:

Funny, I had him pegged as a Lifetime and O type a guy.

Halfcan
10-05-2005, 09:48 PM
U2 deserves the praise. I bet Bono wins the Nobel Peace Prize, he carries a lot of influece around the world.

They are a great band but will never touch RUSH from a musical stand point.

Neil Peart-best drummer ever.
Geddy Lee-best singer and bass.
Alex Lifeson-best guitarist.

Rush-the most underrated rock bad ever.

KC Jones
10-05-2005, 09:52 PM

That's amazing. How do you get that much talent together and still manage to suck donkey bawls? Kinda reminds me of the Chiefs season lately :banghead: :cuss:

tk13
10-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Rush does have some very talented musicians. I wouldn't call all of them the best at their respective instrument... plus not everybody can get into Geddy Lee's voice.

stevieray
10-05-2005, 10:22 PM

no pun intended

kregger
10-05-2005, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=beer me]I think "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Honestly. It's as good as "The Joshua Tree" and "The Unforgettable Fire" to me but with a totally different subject matter. That versatility is part of what makes them great in my book.

Agreed. I listened to that disc about 5 times before realizing it was the best album I'd heard in the new millenium. It is strong from track 1 to the end. JMO
:thumb:

Fat Elvis
10-05-2005, 11:11 PM
U2 deserves the praise. I bet Bono wins the Nobel Peace Prize, he carries a lot of influece around the world.

They are a great band but will never touch RUSH from a musical stand point.

Rush plays ugly, pompous music. If I wanted to hear crap like that, I'd listen to jazz.

Ultra Peanut
10-05-2005, 11:14 PM
Yuck.

Worst. Conan episode. Ever.

ENDelt260
10-06-2005, 12:07 AM
...'cause it's all in my head...

tk13
10-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Yuck.

Worst. Conan episode. Ever.
Conan needs to rock out and play guitar with the band. Edge and Conan, dueling guitarists.

KCChiefsMan
10-06-2005, 02:46 AM

pffffffffffffffffffft.

ya stick to your country music, you red-neck idiot

Mr. Kotter
10-06-2005, 07:09 AM
ya stick to your country music, you red-neck idiot

You plannin' on comin' to the Redskins weekend? :hmmm:

If so, I'm bringin' my camera....heh.

Brock
10-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Maybe I'm missing the part where you list his actions/accomplishments and show how they are unworthy.

I have no idea really what he's been doing over the years, but I also don't see how being a pop star makes any actions "meaningless".

Feel free to educate me with the facts of the matter that you are so clearly familiar with.... unless of course you are just talking out your ass.

Of course, that's not possible... not YOU!

:rolleyes:

Man, you can't stand it even when I'm agreeing with you.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-06-2005, 09:23 AM
The Grateful Dead. They used to sell out five-six night stands in NY and SF all the time. Of course, the hippies had no place else to go once they got there, but the Dead at that time were selling out repeated nights in most major cities.
KISS still sells out the garden too....(the last time they toured anyway). They even consider it their home.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-06-2005, 09:25 AM
It was quality I admit. I repped him for it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-06-2005, 09:30 AM

jmo.... but Geddy Lee sounds like a gay gerbil on a helium and acid cocktail.

No offense though.... to each his own.

Halfcan
10-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Everybody dogging on Rush-probably have never even heard them-except Tom Sawyer on the radio. Pick anyone of their cd's and it beats any band.

Ultra Peanut
10-06-2005, 02:30 PM
ya stick to your country music, you red-neck idiotIranian may be a redneck, but it has nothing to do with not liking U2.

'Cause U2 is teh suck.

Rausch
10-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Everybody dogging on Rush-probably have never even heard them-except Tom Sawyer on the radio. Pick anyone of their cd's and it beats any band.

Sorry, but their vocals make me want to pound nails in my ears...

Ultra Peanut
10-06-2005, 02:32 PM
http://sjfa.ytmnd.com/

Deep within the womb of time,
a creature thus be born
The seed of life is united with
the egg of tyranny
Gestates forth from within the womb of life
for three-quarter and nigh a year
The creature thus be born!
The creature thus be formed!
And ye of years...
[Your current age + bells]
Will chime!
When the heavens open up
and drink from the silver cup
The creature thus be born!
And blow the magic horn!
To alert the spirit deep within the cycle of life.
The creature has begun it's journey deep forlorn,
upon this day which he be formed
In the sea of mucus the spirit rides down from the mountain
and unites with the creature in the womb
A holy union, dark mortality, until the dark mortality
breaks the chain of life
The creature thus be born
And every year raineth down the celebratory tears
A celebration of the years
from mere mortal sky

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I was a program director for a rock radio station. I know Rush. I'm not a fan in general although I do give them credit for their ability to play. They're just not my taste.

Thig Lyfe
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I like U2's music. Their Super Bowl halftime show a few years back was fantastic.