PDA

View Full Version : Maslowski the Chief vs Maslowski the Patriot

dswhited
10-13-2005, 08:20 AM
With Mas getting one last look by the Chiefs before he is off to dine with the Pats, we must ask ourselves a serious question. Can we stand to watch or single season tackle leader go and become a part of the Patriot linebacking factory. Bill knows how to crank them out. If he has turned Biesel into a ligit starter, what could he do with a Maslowski that is not 100%? More than his talent and experience, our defense needs his attitude and aggressive never give up character. The Patriots have a good eye for over achieving blue collar workers and if Mas leaves KC un-signed he will not leave Boston.

MASLOWSKI RESURFACES

Mike Maslowski, a popular former Chiefs linebacker who broke the team tackle record in 2002, is scheduled to work out in Kansas City on Friday.

Linta, who also represents Maslowski, said his client is “100 percent” after a knee injury kept him out of the 2004 season and ultimately led to his release late this summer. Maslowski had surgery to remove a plate in his left knee in August. Apparently, the procedure finally alleviated the pain that kept him from participating in training camp.

Maslowski also is scheduled to work out in New England. Three years ago, he signed a one-year restricted free-agent offer sheet with the Patriots before Kansas City matched it. Linta said Maslowski wanted to give the Chiefs a first look.

“Mike is anxious to get reacquainted with the Chiefs,” Linta said. “Whether or not a contract will be offered remains to be seen.”

bkkcoh
10-13-2005, 08:22 AM
With Fox being placed on IR, we have a roster spot for him, don't we. If he is healthy, he is a great addition to depth and special teams. IMHO....

|Zach|
I have no idea what makes people think Maz will ever be a factor.

Wishful thinking folks.

Count Alex's Wins
From what I saw Beisel sucks as much in New England as he did in KC.

Cormac
10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
IF Maz is actually as healthy and is not actually slower than he was when he last played regularly for us, I would take him back for the rest of this season. Scanlon does nothing for us, so why not have a legitimate leader on the field in a backup role. JMO. I don't think he'd make a huge difference, but it wouldn't hurt if there was no injury risk involved.

Having said that, I voted he'd never be 100% again.

Amnorix
10-13-2005, 08:29 AM
From what I saw Beisel sucks as much in New England as he did in KC.

Not sucks so much as inconsistent. He's shown flashes of promise, however, and he's still new to both our system and relatively new to being a LB in general (took Bruschi 4 years to start getting ANY playing time at LB too), so I'm happy to take the long view.

He's good sized, and clearly fast. If he can learn his position better, then there's definitely potential there.

ExtremeChief
10-13-2005, 08:29 AM
He would be fine for a backup and a good addition to special teams.

Love his never quit attitude.

sedated
10-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Let the Patriots have him. We have too many MLB's. And I'd love to see them waste money and a roster spot on someone who hasn't played in almost 3 years.

Brock
10-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Welcome to three years ago.

Tuckdaddy
10-13-2005, 08:33 AM
Not sucks so much as inconsistent. He's shown flashes of promise, however, and he's still new to both our system and relatively new to being a LB in general (took Bruschi 4 years to start getting ANY playing time at LB too), so I'm happy to take the long view.

He's good sized, and clearly fast. If he can learn his position better, then there's definitely potential there.

He's not fast and never has been but he does have football instincts and can get to the ball carrier but he's not sideline to sideline speedy. I want him back because he plays tough and tackles well.

Extra Point
10-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Good weak-side ILB in 3-4, which we won't adopt. If we keep Maz, then we may see the D scheme change....

I think we respect Maz enough to wish him well in NE if they take him.

Frosty
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM
He's not fast and never has been but he does have football instincts and can get to the ball carrier but he's not sideline to sideline speedy. I want him back because he plays tough and tackles well.

He's talking about Beisel.

Iowanian
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Good luck with the Chowdah heads Mike..thanks for your time in KC.

I'd be alot more interested in say....at DT or WR who can catch.

InChiefsHell
10-13-2005, 08:36 AM
I just can't stand the thought of him being a Patsie. I hope we sign him. What the hell else we gonna do with Key's spot?

jspchief
10-13-2005, 08:40 AM
The Pats are looking at Maz because they are decimated by injuries at LB. The Chiefs have plenty of healthy depth. Who are you going to cut to get a half of a year out of Maz?

That Pats can have him. Beisel is just as bad in NE as he was in KC. Bill Belichick isn't going to turn a 31 year old unathletic LB coming off 2 years of rehab into anything. And even if he could, that doesn't make me believe our idiotic coaches would be capable of working the same miracle.

Seek
10-13-2005, 08:41 AM
I thought this was a comparision between Maz and Beisel at first. Because the two are very identical. They make the play, but don't make the big play.

Let NE have him. With him an Beisel, that defense is going to be very soft. We upgraded our LB mostly because of those two.

Iowanian
10-13-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not saying Maz should have the spot....but for the life of me, I can't understand the value of keeping Will Svitek on the active roster.

Seek
10-13-2005, 08:42 AM
I just can't stand the thought of him being a Patsie. I hope we sign him. What the hell else we gonna do with Key's spot?

We would put a rookie in there who showed a lot more talent that MAZ will. Kris Griffin.

Chiefnj
10-13-2005, 08:51 AM
1. I'd prefer a DT, but as a general rule it isn't a great idea to bring in a player that no other team wants and attempt to evaluate him in a regular season game in a system he is unfamiliar with. There are a lot of teams with DT problems out there who can't generate a rush and stop the run - none of them are apparently interested in Hunt or any other available DT.

2. I'd assume that if KC is thinking about bringing Maz in they are contemplating playing more 3-4. That has me concerned in and of itself. If Maz were one of the inside LB's he would actually be down on my list of concerns; he's smart and I believe he'd be a decent ILB. I think there would be greater problems at NT, the fact that the best rusher, Jared Allen, would be rendered useless, and DJ would probably be lost for a while in a 3-4 scheme.

In all, Gunther got his offseason shopping list. It is time he makes due with what he has and what he asked for. Bell should be making big hits, Surtain should be shadowing the #1 receiver, Knight should be getting turnovers and Hall should be rushing the QB. So far, none of that has been happening and that is one of the big problems.

Kyle401
10-13-2005, 08:54 AM
I think Maz can still contribute to this team as a special teamer and situational LBer if he's healthy, but not as an every down starter.

His best season did come in 2002 (edit) as the ROLB and I guarantee that he would have more than 10 tackles in 4 games from that position if he were healthy and playing.

If the Chiefs don't sign him, I hope he ends up playing for the Pats. He deserves another shot somewhere.

Ralphy Boy
10-13-2005, 08:57 AM
I thought this was a comparision between Maz and Beisel at first. Because the two are very identical. They make the play, but don't make the big play.

Let NE have him. With him an Beisel, that defense is going to be very soft. We upgraded our LB mostly because of those two.

I don't know that I'd call either of them soft. Biesel had the misfortune of being drafted by a horrible defensive team who couldn't decide where they wanted him to play. If we were a 3-4 when we drafted him, IMO he'd have been an ideal OLB, because he was an undersized DE who we made gain weight to play end, then we made him drop it to play OLB no, wait, play MLB, no wait, play OLB. By my counts I thinke he played 4 different positions under two different defensive coordinators & two LB coaches.
The fact that he is still in the league after surviving KC is a testament
to his ability.

Maz is a guy who should have been in the league 30 years ago when his speed wouldn't have been such a factor and he'd have fit right in up in Pittsburgh. Tell me he doesn't look like a guy who'd have fit in on the Steel Curtain D.
I wish Maz the best for what he was to this team in a time of need and as hard as he's worked to make it back, but my heart won't break if he goes elsewhere.

StcChief
10-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Not worth it at this stage with his injuries.
Let's develop
what we have bought in last drafts and FAs 'Grigsby' 'Scanlon' 'DJ' 'Mitchell' 'Bell'

jspchief
10-13-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm not saying Maz should have the spot....but for the life of me, I can't understand the value of keeping Will Svitek on the active roster.You may be right about Svitek.

But I don't think the team is going to cut depth at one spot, to add depth to a spot we are already deep at.

So who's willing to cut one of our young guys in favor of a 31 year old rehab case that was never spectacular to begin with? How many years will we get out of Maz? Is it worth it to lose Boomer Grigsby for a year or two of Maz?

Ralphy Boy
10-13-2005, 09:00 AM
His best season did come in 2003 as the ROLB and I guarantee that he would have more than 10 tackles in 4 games from that position if he were healthy and playing.

2002?

StcChief
10-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Not worth it at this stage with his injuries.
Let's develop
what we have bought in last drafts and FAs 'Grigsby' 'Scanlon' 'DJ' 'Mitchell' 'Bell'

Player needed a DT.

Kyle401
10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
2002?

Right, thanks. I'll fix it.

Kyle401
10-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Is it worth it to lose Boomer Grigsby for a year or two of Maz?

No but Scanlon could hit the road for Maz. I would be fine with that.

:p

Bwana
10-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Good luck with the Chowdah heads Mike..thanks for your time in KC.

I'd be alot more interested in say....at DT or WR who can catch.

Bingo!

jspchief
10-13-2005, 09:12 AM
No but Scanlon could hit the road for Maz. I would be fine with that.

All joking aside, Rich Scanlon would not be the guy cut. He's been our most productive STs tackler. Meanwhile, Boomer grigsby has been pretty bad on STs, and has done nothing to earn consideration over Scanlon.

Two years from now, will Boomer be better? Two years from now, will a 33 year old Maz be worth the trade-off?

Iowanian
10-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm not on the "sign mazwagon". Personally.....while I don't want to beat a dead horse....I'd rather have seen the Young MLB canidates have another week of practice in the scheme...along with other players, instead of a bonus week of vacation.

I think Barber is probably the first choice if the team is bringing back a vet with a knee injury.

Defensive Tackle is my wish list on the suckass Dline.

Kyle401
10-13-2005, 09:30 AM
All joking aside, Rich Scanlon would not be the guy cut. He's been our most productive STs tackler. Meanwhile, Boomer grigsby has been pretty bad on STs, and has done nothing to earn consideration over Scanlon.

Two years from now, will Boomer be better? Two years from now, will a 33 year old Maz be worth the trade-off?
SSShhhh..... be very very quiet... I'm fishing for Roys. PBJ

I definately do not want to let Boomer go for Maz. Having Maz around would be the best thing that could happen for Boomer's development on ST's in particular. I want Boomer/Scanlon to become Maz/Stills (fiery, all heart, never-quit, defensive/ST tone-setters), only more athletic. I wouldn't cut any of our current LB's to bring Maz on board. I would only look to bring him back if Key Fox is going to IR and his roster spot is available w/o dropping one of our other young guys.

Bigwigbob
10-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I would almost rather sign him and have him sitting on our bench then let New England load back up. If the Pats do not get help their slide could continue making it open season for the Chiefs or any other AFC team to take the Pats down. Dont let the rich get richer just because we dont NEED Maz.

jspchief
10-13-2005, 09:40 AM
I would almost rather sign him and have him sitting on our bench then let New England load back up. If the Pats do not get help their slide could continue making it open season for the Chiefs or any other AFC team to take the Pats down. Dont let the rich get richer just because we dont NEED Maz.:spock:

Bigwigbob
10-13-2005, 09:48 AM
I mean i would rather him come here even though LB isnt a pressing need then allow NE to field a talented and seasoned replacement. I hate NE and someone has to feast of their apparent fammon

TEX
10-13-2005, 09:51 AM
IMO, the CHIEFS need to be looking at DT's rather than LB's.

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2005, 09:51 AM
I would almost rather sign him and have him sitting on our bench then let New England load back up. If the Pats do not get help their slide could continue making it open season for the Chiefs or any other AFC team to take the Pats down. Dont let the rich get richer just because we dont NEED Maz.

huhh? Getting richer with Maz? I am missing something.
He hasn't played in two years.....been rehabbing.

I doubt he has any more speed, and probably less. Tell me who Maz could beat out on the Chiefs current squad........I don't think any.

Thanks for the memories Maz (not sure what they were), good luck with were ever you land.

Bigwigbob
10-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Doubt all you want but if the Patriots are looking at him then he may still be able to ball

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Doubt all you want but if the Patriots are looking at him then he may still be able to ball

possibly.......but they are soooo hurting in the LB department that anyone might look good.

Woodrow Call
10-13-2005, 10:05 AM
First off Maz was below average and too slow before having the devastating knee injury. Do the Chiefs need a 4th MLB plus Bell who probably should be playing inside anyway? This move makes no sense. Scanlon has looked solid as a special teamer and backup, Boomer just needs some time, and Mitchell has been the most consistant member of the defense.

If the Chiefs have the money to throw away on Maz then spend spend it on Fredex or a DT like Hunt, Fatefayi, or Davis.

It is stupid that this is even being considered. :cuss:

Mr. Laz
10-13-2005, 10:31 AM
i wish Maz best of luck wherever he lands.

pssst http://www.englishforums.com/emoticons/emotion-16.gif ... mike, don't come back here and waste your time ... go someplace where they know how to develop defenisive players. :thumb:

Fish
10-13-2005, 10:38 AM
As much as I liked him.... Maz is through. Too old, too major of an injury. Another athlete denying the inevitable......

Woodrow Call
10-13-2005, 10:55 AM
pssst http://www.englishforums.com/emoticons/emotion-16.gif ... mike, don't come back here and waste your time ... go someplace where they know how to develop defenisive players. :thumb:

What team is good at developing 31 year old gimp MLB?

Brock
10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
What team is good at developing 31 year old gimp MLB?

That's sort of what I was wondering....and anyway, if the Chiefs didn't develop Mazlowski, who did?