PDA

View Full Version : A boring question for runners and or doctors without borders.

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 08:23 AM
Anyone who runs or knows feet around here?

Up until a couple of months ago, I had been increasing my (very slow) jogging distance, and then one day I came home with a moderate pain right on the front of my heel, just as it goes up into the arch.

It's been two full months, and I haven't jogged at all, and it's still bothering me a fair bit - not enough to cause a limp, but I feel it whenever I walk. Is this a normal kind of malady that I just have to wait out, or do I need to go see a doctor?

JimNasium
10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Could be a back problem.

Extra Point
10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Go see a doctor. Could be a chip, strained ligament. When you get back on the road, try a pair of Scholl's foot pads and arch supports. What shoes were you running on?

Kyle401
10-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Buy a bike. Riding puts less strain on your feet and joints and is still very good exercise.

Goapics1
10-13-2005, 08:38 AM
heelspurs.com is an extensive source of information about plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, and heel pain.

The most common cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis. Many patients with plantar fasciitis have a heel spur on the front and bottom of their heel, but heel spurs do not cause pain. The common name is "heel spur" because it's easier to pronounce than "plantar fasciitis" and doctors are able to point to the spur on an x-ray. Causes of heel pain include inadequate flexibility in the calf muscles, lack of arch support, being overweight, suddenly increasing activity, and spending too much time on the feet. Arch support was rated the best treatment in our first survey of 1,800 visitors to heelspurs.com. Our favorite arch support is the PowerStep insert. In other surveys, patients ranked rest, ice, tape, and night splints as the most beneficial treatments for heel pain.

WisChief
10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
sounds like plantar fasciatis (sp?). The arch is "falling" down and causing the fascia to be torn away from your heel. Most people notice the pain most in the morning, first step out of bed and it feels better just a few moments after walking on it. In my case it never hurt while running.

There are a number of things you can do but time really is the only thing to truely "fix" it.

First get some good shoes. Don't buy your running shoes at Target or some other discount shoe store. Go to a running store.
You can massage your foot with a tennis ball - roll it under your foot
Lay a towel on the floor and start at one end and pull the towel to you with your toes - scruntch it up.
You may want to see a doc if this doesn't really describe you.

Good luck.

edit - I see apics beat me to it. :)

cdcox
10-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Buy a bike.

That's just mean.

Brock
10-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Just suck it up like a Kenyan.

Reaper16
10-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I second the query on what shoes you're using. It might be worth it to spend $100 plus and get yourself a quality pair of ASICS. You'd be hard pressed to find a better, more comfortable running shoe than a pair of ASICS Gel Nimbus.

B_Ambuehl
10-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah plantar fascitis. Go to wal mart and look for some blue Dr. Scholls heel inserts. They shouldn't cost more then $5. Try them out and see if they don't help your pain. You can either go that route or go get a pair of custom orthotics made for $250 but I've seen the cheap version work plenty of times. Additionally, if it's still bothering you, periodically when you're sitting at your desk or something or even watching TV take your shoe off and place a golf ball or baseball on the floor beneath your feet. Next, put your foot on top of that golf ball and run it back and forth all over the bottom of your foot particularly the heel region. That's a form of self myofascial release and will help release any adhesions or restrictions in the soft tisssues.

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Ah. I think you guys have nailed it. I'm hobbled on it for about 30 seconds after I get up in the morning, and then it settles down quickly.

Interestingly, this happened on a longer jog on a weekend where I accidentally left my running shoes at the gym. I put on an older pair, but they'd lost a lot of their cushiness.

I'll try these various things. Thanks to all.

sedated
10-13-2005, 10:40 AM
"Each man's foot is his own foot."
- another tidbit of wisdom from Dick Vermeil

sedated
10-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Nike Shox are the best running shoe I've worn.

Taco John
10-13-2005, 10:44 AM
"Get a bike!"

ROFL

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
"Get a bike!"

ROFL

That hurt. That really hurt.

penguinz
10-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Taping your arches can help a lot and also help prevent the chance of shin splints.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-13-2005, 12:52 PM
20oz pop bottle full of water freeze it and then roll it under your foot, it is the perfect size and cold everthing you need

PastorMikH
10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Yep, Heel Spurs. Those suckers can hurt too. I had one off and on for several years.

I got rid of mine at a Revival. The speaker said someone here has pain in their foot and they need to stomp on the ground really hard multiple times. I though, Yeah right!. Anyhow, after waiting long enough for everyone to forget what he said, I stomped the ground. Hurt like crazy when I did. The guy must be a joke. A couple of weeks later it dawns on me that I hadn't had any pain since the night I did that.

I did learn that arch supports, not heel supports help the best. Try buying a better shoe and also add an insert. Also, find a softer surface to run on - like a local highschool track.

tk13
10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Buy a bike.
ROFL

I laughed out loud.