PDA

View Full Version : Become a Player

SLAG
10-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Ok, How can I become a Professional Football Player?

Heres what im thinking.....

Work out and Get in shape for 2 years as i attend the Local Community College, Build Up 2 yrs worth of Credits.....

Transfer to a good 4 year football school and then kick ass and take names.

Any thoughts?

JimNasium
10-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Crack is addictive.

MOhillbilly
10-13-2005, 09:09 AM
how big are you now? how old? know anything about roids?

MOhillbilly
10-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Crack is addictive.

:shake: you should see the new girl :shake:

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I'll be your agent, okay?

SLAG
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
currently, im 21, 5'11 and 265, (out of shape but not to hard to get into shape)
the only thing i know about 'roids is that there is the Hemor kind and the STERO kind the HEMO dont know anything about... and the STERO kind I fill Rx's For at work

Simplex3
10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Do you have any experience? How fast is your 40 time? If you aren't running a 5s 40 right now you'll never make the NFL even with a ton of training. Next, you're going to need one heck of a vertical leap. Look up the tests they do at the combine each year, do them, and compare yourself to incoming NFL players. If you aren't doing, say, 80% of what the lower end guys are doing then you won't make it.

joesomebody
10-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm going to have a son someday... and that son is going to be a professional kicker... yup, I figure if I start him out young enough and help him practice he can do it!

I mean, what a sweet job... wish my dad had thought of this.

jspchief
10-13-2005, 09:23 AM
So you're short, fat, and too old.

I'd start looking into pro golf.

SLAG
10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Do you have any experience? How fast is your 40 time? If you aren't running a 5s 40 right now you'll never make the NFL even with a ton of training. Next, you're going to need one heck of a vertical leap. Look up the tests they do at the combine each year, do them, and compare yourself to incoming NFL players. If you aren't doing, say, 80% of what the lower end guys are doing then you won't make it.

Experience, Well Some Jr. High and HS. My Highlight was I got 5 Sacks In one game Playing DT (hehe)

if someone could post up all the tests at the combine and some of the lower end stats i would be very thankful,

on a side not i called up one night last season to the DV show and he told me it would be VERY VERY hard but it could be done.

Fish
10-13-2005, 09:32 AM
General rule.... if no one at a Major University, let alone the NFL knows who you are by age 21... then you have a 0.118% chance of being a professional athlete.

Nothing against you, but the odds are not in your favor.

Goapics1
10-13-2005, 09:34 AM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/playa-13085.jpg

joesomebody
10-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Experience, Well Some Jr. High and HS. My Highlight was I got 5 Sacks In one game Playing DT (hehe)

if someone could post up all the tests at the combine and some of the lower end stats i would be very thankful,

on a side not i called up one night last season to the DV show and he told me it would be VERY VERY hard but it could be done.Well... lets say you actually go through with this. You are 21 now, two years at the community college puts you at 23... you transfer to a "football" school and some how take a starting spot in your first year at the school. You play 2 years at said football school and are now 25.

I think you should have considered this dream when you were younger. I guess at 25 you may still have some time in the NFL, but I would imagine thats pushing the envelope for a rookie (Unless you're a kicker)

Maybe think about playing in NFL Europe or Canada leagues is still possible, but if I were given 10,000 to one odds I'd still bet against you suiting up for any NFL team in this lifetime.

Don't give up the dream though, go for it. If nothing else you'll get a college degree and be in shape with this plan, so it's win win. Start today.

htismaqe
10-13-2005, 09:37 AM
ROFL

This is gonna be headed for the Hall, fo sho.

Cochise
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Ask KCChiefsMan. He's the authority on here about being a playeristic balla'

jspchief
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Hey Slag, you didn't have a friend give you a really really long e-mail adress the other day, did you?

Goapics1
10-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey Slag, you didn't have a friend give you a really really long e-mail adress the other day, did you?
ROFL ROFL :clap: ROFL ROFL

SLAG
10-13-2005, 09:41 AM
no no.... c'mon everyone has their dreams... i was thinking im just on the edge of still having some slim hope

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 09:42 AM
currently, im 21, 5'11 and 265...

Eh, I'll get back to you. :shake:

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 09:44 AM
no no.... c'mon everyone has their dreams... i was thinking im just on the edge of still having some slim hope

If you can put on 90-100 lbs, we may need you on the D-Line. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 09:45 AM

Cross-thread humor rocks. ROFL

SLAG
10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
If you can put on 90-100 lbs, we may need you on the D-Line. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

IF BK wouldnt of taken away my Ice cream it would be a done deal:deevee::cuss:

Taco John
10-13-2005, 09:47 AM
It's possible... Folks who join the military out of HS can do it... Look at Mike Anderson. That said, those folks are in peak physical condition while in the military. My feeling is that if you aren't in shape now, and you're already 21, you've let the train pass you by. Odds are stacked greatly against you at this point.

I'd say your best bet is to go talk to a high school or football coach and ask them for a little guidance. Don't be put off by them laughing at you at first. Once that half hour is up and they see that you're still serious, they'll be candid with you and give you some good advice. And when you refuse to take that advice they'll see that you're really really serious and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 09:48 AM
... im 21...

B.S. :BS:

You are just tryin' to trick us into not carding you this weekend. Heh.

It ain't gonna work.

:p

|Zach|
10-13-2005, 09:48 AM
Not tall enough...

wilas101
10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I say "fugg it, go for it"

So you have something you want to do... if you REALLY want it and you're willing to work your butt off for it there is no reason you shouldn't try.

Screw the results... it doesn't matter in the end whether you make the nfl or wind up cleaning the bathrooms at the stadium as long as you gave every single thing you had toward your goal. When you've done that you can proceed on with life without wondering how it would be different if you had just tried a little harder.

People laughed at Thomas Edison when he was flying his kite in a thunderstorm but did that stop him from inventing the automatic coffee maker and microwave burritos? Did Al Gore stop when people told him he couldn't invent the Internet? Did OJ stop when the cops started flashing their lights? Hell no. They stayed the course and triumphed in the end.

SLAG
10-13-2005, 09:54 AM
It's possible... Folks who join the military out of HS can do it... Look at Mike Anderson. That said, those folks are in peak physical condition while in the military. My feeling is that if you aren't in shape now, and you're already 21, you've let the train pass you by. Odds are stacked greatly against you at this point.

I'd say your best bet is to go talk to a high school or football coach and ask them for a little guidance. Don't be put off by them laughing at you at first. Once that half hour is up and they see that you're still serious, they'll be candid with you and give you some good advice. And when you refuse to take that advice they'll see that you're really really serious and maybe get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!

thanks for the feedback,
I know there is alot of adversity in this situation, but its starting to turn into an un healthy obsession of wanting to play.

NFL is the big time and I am not SO ingorant to think i can just go work out and join up

I would settle for CFL or NFLEL or even hell arena leauge, I just feel if i work hard and prove my self I think I could really do it

Simplex3
10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
People laughed at Thomas Edison when he was flying his kite in a thunderstorm but did that stop him from inventing the automatic coffee maker and microwave burritos? Did Al Gore stop when people told him he couldn't invent the Internet? Did OJ stop when the cops started flashing their lights? Hell no. They stayed the course and triumphed in the end.
ROFL

cdcox
10-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Rudy... Rudy... Rudy...

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 09:58 AM
I say "fugg it, go for it"

So you have something you want to do... if you REALLY want it and you're willing to work your butt off for it there is no reason you shouldn't try.

Screw the results... it doesn't matter in the end whether you make the nfl or wind up cleaning the bathrooms at the stadium as long as you gave every single thing you had toward your goal. When you've done that you can proceed on with life without wondering how it would be different if you had just tried a little harder.

Golden.... ROFL

However, if you are truly serious about this SLAG.....I say go for it. :thumb:

Simplex3
10-13-2005, 09:58 AM
thanks for the feedback,
I know there is alot of adversity in this situation, but its starting to turn into an un healthy obsession of wanting to play.

NFL is the big time and I am not SO ingorant to think i can just go work out and join up

I would settle for CFL or NFLEL or even hell arena leauge, I just feel if i work hard and prove my self I think I could really do it
Keep in mind there are several semi-pro leagues as well. The KC Jazz is probably still around.

http://eteamz.active.com/kcjazz/index.cfm

cadmonkey
10-13-2005, 10:00 AM
currently, im 21, 5'11 and 265, (out of shape but not to hard to get into shape)

So you are shooting to be drafted at the young age of 27? Good luck with all that.

MOhillbilly
Keep in mind there are several semi-pro leagues as well. The KC Jazz is probably still around.

http://eteamz.active.com/kcjazz/index.cfm

I thought the samething-BUT the team here in Spfld is Very good 'rifles' but last year there QB was the same guy that i played w/ in HS. and he was terrible big time pussy.

MOhillbilly
So you are shooting to be drafted at the young age of 27? Good luck with all that.

dude in denver did it.

Fish
10-13-2005, 10:03 AM
http://www.chasing-storms.com/snowball.jpg + http://www.triquitips.com/images/triquihell.jpg = Your Chances

SLAG
10-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow i did not this this thread would ge this much attention

cadmonkey
10-13-2005, 10:06 AM
dude in denver did it.

Good for him, he's vastly in the minority though.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow i did not this this thread would ge this much attention

everyone on here thinks they are a better at scouting, HC, DC, OC, STC or GM than most NFL teams have.....come on

Braincase
10-13-2005, 10:09 AM
You have to set realistic goals and go for them one at a time.

Start with speed, and strength.

You have to get your bench press up to 350, and get to a point where you can do 225 at least 20 times...

You have to get your 40 time down to 4.7 or 4.8 to play college D...

You have to work on your footwork...

I'm not saying you can't do it, but it might be easier to get an MBA from Harvard at this point.

SLAG
10-13-2005, 10:09 AM

Yes Minority is something i am use to...

if i even mentioned what kind of 1/2 breed I am... well Yeah

lets just say Minority does fit me well

MOhillbilly
10-13-2005, 10:10 AM

no shit?

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Yes Minority is something i am use to...

if i even mentioned what kind of 1/2 breed I am... well Yeah

lets just say Minority does fit me well

Hel'n?

:p

Wile_E_Coyote
10-13-2005, 10:11 AM
there was a QB drafted at that age, Panthers?

ED:Chris Weinke

NewChief
10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
First...

Find yourself a good nickname like "He Hate Me."

Then join the XFL. NFL "stardom" is just around the corner.

Okay, seriously. Like others said, there are a ton of semi-pro leagues around. You might not make any money, but you'll get to play.

SLAG
10-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Christian Okoye did not even hear about American Football until he was 21

jspchief
10-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Your size makes the odds that much lower than they already are.

5' 11" 265, is fat.

So for you to get into good shape, you need to be about 225, with a lot of muscle mass. The problem is, 5' 11", 225 is too small.

There are guys in the league that are that small, but they got there on extreme athletic talent. If you had that level of talent, you would have already been playing college ball for someone.

I'm not sure how serious this thread is, but you need to be realistic. You efforts would serve you much better if you put them into preparing yourself for a career in the real world.

B_Ambuehl
10-13-2005, 10:16 AM
To be an NFL prospect playing ability is initially much less important then fitting the profile. For each position there is a profile of size and athletic attributes. For example...DT gotta be at least 6'1 run a 4.5 20 yards shuttle, 5.2 40 yard dash, bench press 225 lbs x ~20 times, weigh ~285-300 etc. before they will even look at you. DE you gotta be running below 5.0 with good size.

Those are the most important things. It's just like a dog show. You gotta look the part. Those attributes will generally be evident from an early age but they can be improved. I've seen 35 year olds who've never played a down of football who have them but for every one of them there are 500 guys who bust their butt and don't. As long as you have those attributes it's a matter of getting some game film so that you can get a workout. Where you play is not relevant but you're gonna need to spend at least a couple of years actually playing football so that you can have some game film for scouts to evaluate. If they like what they see on film and you fit the profile then you might have a shot and get an invite to a training camp as the 80th-90th guy on the roster. From there you'll most likely get cut but anything can happen. It's a tough business.

Brock
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

SLAG
10-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure how serious this thread is, but you need to be realistic. You efforts would serve you much better if you put them into preparing yourself for a career in the real world.

I am very serious.... and by going to COLLEGE.. to Play football would also require i take classes... so if i get my Degree but Dont make it as a Football player then I would Classify that is Preparing my self for a career in the real world

SLAG
10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
To be an NFL prospect playing ability is initially much less important then fitting the profile. For each position there is a profile of size and athletic attributes. For example...DT gotta be at least 6'1 run a 4.5 20 yards shuttle, 5.2 40 yard dash, bench press 225 lbs x ~20 times, weigh ~285-300 etc. before they will even look at you. DE you gotta be running below 5.0 with good size.

you know they list players at not thier real height

You could list me 6'1 or 6'0 Easy:hmmm:

B_Ambuehl
10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
The only time height is listed differently is once you're on a team. When you're being scouted they will measure you down to the nearest 1/4 of an inch and even being 1/4 below the profile standard can cost you.

HolmeZz
10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
5'11", 265? Sounds like my fridge.

patteeu
10-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I think you should set your sights on playing for a small college somewhere while you earn a degree that will support you once you graduate. Following your dream is a nice thing to talk about, but very few people who have unrealistic dreams ever catch theirs. For every successful athlete or actor or musician who talks about how important it is to follow your dream, there are hundreds or more who tried to follow theirs and failed miserably (possibly missing out on other opportunities in the mean time).

MOhillbilly
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
I think you should set your sights on playing for a small college somewhere while you earn a degree that will support you once you graduate. Following your dream is a nice thing to talk about, but very few people who have unrealistic dreams ever catch theirs. For every successful athlete or actor or musician who talks about how important it is to follow your dream, there are hundreds or more who tried to follow theirs and failed miserably (possibly missing out on other opportunities in the mean time).
on the otherhand youll never know less you pull the trigger.

I know a guy who will be on the field Sun. that took a long long shot all the way and made it.

patteeu
10-13-2005, 11:32 AM
on the otherhand youll never know less you pull the trigger.

I know a guy who will be on the field Sun. that took a long long shot all the way and made it.

I bet he didn't start out at age 21, out of shape, short, and fat did he? Tell us about the guy you know. What was his story?

Braincase
10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Christian Okoye did not even hear about American Football until he was 21

Christian Okoye was the African Continental Record Holder in the Discus or Shot Put or Hammer Throw...

You hold any records?

MOhillbilly
10-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I bet he didn't start out at age 21, out of shape, short, and fat did he? Tell us about the guy you know. What was his story?

i cant, and he was in his 30s. im just saying he was alongshot but got acouple breaks(some that didnt exist till other circumstance were brought about), worked hard and made his dream happen.

SLAG
10-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Well Thanks everyone.... I Think

Spicy McHaggis
10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/playa-13085.jpg

I have a feeling that this guy isn't going home with either of those girls. NTTAWWT.

joesomebody
10-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Don't feel bad... I'm 5'8" and weigh 160... I'm not big enough for most pop warner teams...

Like I said earlier, the going to college bit is a great idea... and if you end up with an NFL career out of it, hey thats just extra!

KCChiefsMan
10-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Ask KCChiefsMan. He's the authority on here about being a playeristic balla'

huh?

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
what about me i wanna play

Mr. Kotter
10-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Christian Okoye was the African Continental Record Holder in the Discus or Shot Put or Hammer Throw...

You hold any records?

I suspect SLAG holds some record....maybe most shots of beer in an hour, or quickest 40 oz beer bong, for his fraternity.

SLAG
10-14-2005, 07:23 AM
I suspect SLAG holds some record....maybe most shots of beer in an hour, or quickest 40 oz beer bong, for his fraternity.

I hold A Record In something So Obscure That they forgot what it was:p