PDA

View Full Version : Things I hate about getting older

ZepSinger
10-13-2005, 11:27 AM
These are a few of the things that suck for me personally. I'm betting folks like maddog will identify big-time. You young whipper-snappers can laugh all ya want. Believe me, you'll be crossing this bridge before you know it...

1. I now own reading glasses. The wire-rim, 3.25+ kind that sit on the tip of my nose. I look instantly 15 years older wearing them. The phone book and the back of medicine bottles are lost to me without them.

2. Gray hair. The temples are now about 80% gray. Haircuts do not hide this fact. When I had long hair, it covered the offending follicles, but now they scream for all the world to see.

3. Muscle stiffness. Getting up to pee in the night requires at least 10 feet of walking room for my back to get fully straightened out. My legs and ankles crack so loudly they wake my wife.

4. Music volume. Don't get me wrong, if I'm playing guitar and doing it live with a band, I still wanna make everyone's ears bleed, including mine. But the days of crankin' the Guns n' Roses on the stereo just for background noise are over. And a sure sign of advancing age- it's all talk radio for me, baby!

5. The way I look at 'young people'. I now look at people who are probably in their early 20's, productive folks in the workplace who vote and everything, and think of them as 'nice kids'. Or, I'll see the hot girl at the checkout counter and then come to the painful realization that she's probably younger than my stepdaughter.

6. The way I see myself in pictures. Or video. I saw myself in a recent video and saw my dad. It was me, but it just as well could have been my old man. Same with photographs. WOW, what happened? When did those lines etch themselves so firmly in my face? Over and over, I remember the Pink Floyd line 'And then one day you'll find- 10 years has got behind you...'

Mentally, I've always thought of myself as about 25. But the stark facts of the aging process begin to take a toll. What's the saying- 'you don't really get older, your body just starts to betray you.'

Just some Thursday noon-time introspection for the Planeteers. Have a great day!!!
:)

Z

ptlyon
10-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Zep - I'm 35 and have/need the first 3.

Extra Point
10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Was that "Z" at the end of your post meaning you fell asleep? If not, then you ain't too old.

"You're never too old and never too young. You're just you, and that's good enough!"

Rausch
10-13-2005, 11:33 AM
"No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun..."

I'm more pissed off about trimming schnoz hairs...

ck_IN
10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was

onescrewleftuntwisted
start dating younger women that allways helps,
j/j

i dont realy know what to say

go bowe
you guys aren't old...

:skip: is old...

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Hell, my ankles, feet and knees already sound like popcorn popping.

Gaz
...I'm 35...

Bite me.

xoxo~
Gaz
Quite a bit further down the timeline.

Braincase
Hey man, you still have long hair... although it's coming out your ears and nose...

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I was thinking the other day that when I was a kid, there were times that I would run just for the heck of it. Now it's just the opposite - I don't want to run even when it's warranted.

go bowe
10-13-2005, 11:38 AM
These are a few of the things that suck for me personally. I'm betting folks like maddog will identify big-time. You young whipper-snappers can laugh all ya want. Believe me, you'll be crossing this bridge before you know it...
5. The way I look at 'young people'. I now look at people who are probably in their early 20's, productive folks in the workplace who vote and everything, and think of them as 'nice kids'. Or, I'll see the hot girl at the checkout counter and then come to the painful realization that she's probably younger than my stepdaughter.

6. The way I see myself in pictures. Or video. I saw myself in a recent video and saw my dad. It was me, but it just as well could have been my old man. Same with photographs. WOW, what happened? * * *
you think you have it bad, some of those hot girls at the supermarket are younger than my granddaughter... :( :( :(

and when i was younger, i didn't look at all like my dad...

now that i've got grey/white hair and a wrinkled face, i look just like he did at 70...

it's astonishing...

astonishing, i tells ya...

ZepSinger
10-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey man, you still have long hair... although it's coming out your ears and nose...

No fair, you're one of the few Planeteers who know what I look like!

Braincase
10-13-2005, 11:42 AM
I was thinking the other day that when I was a kid, there were times that I would run just for the heck of it. Now it's just the opposite - I don't want to run even when it's warranted.

I miss running so bad. I ran in college until I blew out my left knee, and tried again... and later utterly destroyed my right. I can't even run alongside my kids to teach 'em how to ride a bike now.

Oh, to have my 17 year old knees again. I won't have 17 year old knees until I turn 67 now...

I could fly, ran 10 flat in the hundred yard dash, jumped 6'6", long jumped 23 feet. Now, I'm a ball of gelatinous goo...

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
I was in California last year, and my wife and I took a boat out to Catalina Island. In a horrible stroke of fate, we were on the same boat as two big school field trips, so 90 percent of the passengers were kids age 10 to 18.

At some point, my wife turned to me and said, "This is depressing. These kids just look right through us." I think she was bummed that none of the teen boys was looking at her cleavage, but I didn't pursue it.

Nonetheless, it was true. When I was young, I would get an appraising glance followed by rejection. However, it's much more demoralizing when you don't even rate an appraising glance.

Edit: Nobody in the Rain Man family promotes, encourages, or participates in sexual leering of underage youth. We encourage you to visit your local library if you are interested in learning more about federal, state, and local penalties for doing so.

MOhillbilly
10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Its how you feel, that makes you real!

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
I hate the fact that the hair follicles are sucking inward causing hair to grow out my ears, nose, small of my back and the butt has more hair than it ever had.

trndobrd
10-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Sounds like it's time to sell the minivan and buy a '87 corvette, unbutton the silk shirt to show off that big medallion, and start hanging out in college bars again.

Fish
10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Man.... you guys are depressing me.... We all need to go out for a beer, reminisce the old times, and oogle at a 20yr old waitress.

I have to be home by 10pm though..........

Bowser
10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I hate that the scrote seems to hang lower every day. Very annoying.

luv
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm not old yet like some of you, but I'm gonna say that I'm not looking forward to saggy boobs or hot flashes.

BigRedChief
10-13-2005, 12:02 PM
No fair, you're one of the few Planeteers who know what I look like!

Man you see my pics over in the Pictures section. I use to be a bad azz. Now I'm only a danger to others if I fall on them.

ptlyon
10-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Man you see my pics over in the Pictures section. I use to be a bad azz. Now I'm only a danger to others if I fall on them.

Or eat them.

ck_IN
<i>I'm not looking forward to saggy boobs</i>

I hear that gravity is a bitch. ROFL

Actually outside of my Jack Nicholsonesque hairline I'm holding up pretty well. I actually got hit on at work the other day by a 30yr old thang.

I didn't read anything into the fact that she wasn't wearing her glasses at the time.

Rain Man
I heard a rumor that there's a fountain somewhere in Florida that will make us all young again. Maybe we should put together an expedition to find it.

trndobrd
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I heard a rumor that there's a fountain somewhere in Florida that will make us all young again. Maybe we should put together an expedition to find it.

That rumor must be spreading. There seem to be a lot of old people in Florida looking for that fountain.

Lzen
10-13-2005, 12:28 PM
You buncha old farts.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00020HAV0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ZepSinger
10-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Actually outside of my Jack Nicholsonesque hairline I'm holding up pretty well. I actually got hit on at work the other day by a 30yr old thang.

I didn't read anything into the fact that she wasn't wearing her glasses at the time.

Actually, other than my above mentioned gripes I'm doing pretty well myself. The fact that I actually HAVE all my hair and am pretty much the same size I was in high school makes me feel pretty darn good. And still jogging almost 25 mi. a week doesn't hurt the ol' psyche either.
And damn if I'm not still getting hit on occasionally(usually onstage)!!

OK, so maybe it's not as bad as all that...
:rockon:
Z

Braincase
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
I hate that the scrote seems to hang lower every day. Very annoying.

Yeah, but why doesn't gravity affecting the Yohnson like it effects women's boobs? Hell, Skip could hang out with pr0n stars...

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
That rumor must be spreading. There seem to be a lot of old people in Florida looking for that fountain.

They've got to be getting close by now.

Discoveries to date:

Fountain of slow driving
Fountain of wrinkles
Fountain of early dinner specials
Fountain of joint replacement

Braincase
10-13-2005, 12:31 PM

It's all about that AARP discount, Mr. Plant.

ZepSinger
10-13-2005, 12:32 PM
It's all about that AARP discount, Mr. Plant.

The day I start accepting senior citizen discount coffee at McDonalds you can shoot me.

sedated
10-13-2005, 12:36 PM
You people have made me glad I'm only 23.
I've got the rest of my life ahead of me.
Old people suck.

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Actually, other than my above mentioned gripes I'm doing pretty well myself. The fact that I actually HAVE all my hair and am pretty much the same size I was in high school makes me feel pretty darn good. And still jogging almost 25 mi. a week doesn't hurt the ol' psyche either.

OK, so maybe it's not as bad as all that...
:rockon:
Z

Go to hell.

(Sorry - the hair thing hit a nerve.)

ZepSinger
10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Old people suck.

Good luck. The path from 23 to 49 seemed to pass by in about 4 years.

"And then one day you'll find- 10 years have got behind you..."

Andoverer
10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Old people suck.

Someday you'll look back and remember saying this and you'll realize what a foolish tard statement it was. May the hair in your ears and nose be your most prominent feature :harumph:

shakesthecat
10-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Old people suck.

You=40+ years until retirement
Us=20 years or less.

Enjoy

Iowanian
10-13-2005, 01:17 PM
She left me...She's just jealous, says I'm stuck in 1982....

If coach would have put me in, in the 4th quarter, we'd have been state champs, then I'd have gone pro and made millions of dollars.

Wanna bet I can throw a football over those mountains?..."

luv
10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
You=40+ years until retirement
Us=20 years or less.

Enjoy
By the time he retires, he'll probably have to be 75 before he can draw all of his social security. I'm looking at having to be 68 or so. Somewhere in there.

bkkcoh
10-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Old people suck.

Unless they have their dentures in, that is when they bite....

:p

ZepSinger
10-13-2005, 01:38 PM
She left me...She's just jealous, says I'm stuck in 1982....

If coach would have put me in, in the 4th quarter, we'd have been state champs, then I'd have gone pro and made millions of dollars.

Wanna bet I can throw a football over those mountains?..."

http://photos3.flickr.com/4532813_51296f82c2_m.jpg

go bowe
10-13-2005, 01:45 PM
I miss running so bad. I ran in college until I blew out my left knee, and tried again... and later utterly destroyed my right. I can't even run alongside my kids to teach 'em how to ride a bike now.

Oh, to have my 17 year old knees again. I won't have 17 year old knees until I turn 67 now...

I could fly, ran 10 flat in the hundred yard dash, jumped 6'6", long jumped 23 feet. Now, I'm a ball of gelatinous goo...
are you sure you're not rich scanlon? :shrug: