PDA

View Full Version : How long before Warfield secures the starting job?

cmh6476
10-13-2005, 12:30 PM
:shrug:

I just hope McCleon doesn't cost us a game in the meantime :banghead:

And don't fockin tell me he ain't done it before. Maybe not this year, but there have been times where we were torched play after play on McCleon's side in years past...

sedated
10-13-2005, 12:33 PM
He'll definitely be starting for the MIA game.
Vermeil just wants to play these motivation games, like with Jared Allen.

Lzen
10-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Did you know that McCleon was a starting CB in both the Rams SB runs? Of course, I think he's much more suited to a zone defense. Warfield is made for Gun's b&r style. I hope to see him get some quality PT this weekend.

Extra Point
10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
He'll definitely be starting for the MIA game.
Vermeil just wants to play these motivation games, like with Jared Allen.

As in "Missing In Action?"

Rausch
10-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Few people remember Dexy completely owning David Boston, easilty twice his size, when Boston was playing for the Chargers.

Of course that game we played bump n' run and Dexter got a good jam on him at the line.

cmh6476
Did you know that McCleon was a starting CB in both the Rams SB runs? Of course, I think he's much more suited to a zone defense. Warfield is made for Gun's b&r style. I hope to see him get some quality PT this weekend.
So that makes him better than Warfield? :spock:

htismaqe

And don't fockin tell me he ain't done it before. Maybe not this year, but there have been times where we were torched play after play on McCleon's side in years past...

:deevee:

Mr. Laz
10-13-2005, 12:36 PM

while in tennessee Gun made a comment about Warfield "being nothing more than a nickleback" or something similiar when told that the chiefs just gave Eric a new contract for starter money.

Seek
10-13-2005, 12:37 PM

McCleon only lost us games last year, when he shoulder was so hurt that he had problems running. He did't cost us any games two years ago when he lead the team in interceptions, and so far this year he hasn't cost us the game.

Kind of hard to do playing with sucha big cushion.

StcChief
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Next week. McCleon gets torched maybe 2nd half. 'skins

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 12:39 PM
No one is going to get torched deep as long as we keep running this pathetic soft zone.

BigRedChief
10-13-2005, 12:39 PM
DV says that Warfield is looking good in practice and just needs to get some more reps.

uh..........Isn't DV in charge of who gets more reps?

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
You all couldn't possibly know better than DV about McClown...
DV says that McClown is one heckuva ball player, a heckuva ball player.
He has been playing extrmeley well and is pleased with his performance.

DV is still creaming over the interception McClown had against Philly.
Hard to say when we will see Warfield.

Cochise
10-13-2005, 12:42 PM
OMGZ McCleon is the worst player evar! We've never won a game with him playing corner! N we R undefeated with Warfeeld!!

Calm down people. Who gets the start doesn't matter anyway, it's who gets snaps and assignments.

Cochise
10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
DV says that Warfield is looking good in practice and just needs to get some more reps.

uh..........Isn't DV in charge of who gets more reps?

uh.... Since when does "needs more reps" mean he isn't getting any reps?

cmh6476
10-13-2005, 12:45 PM
McCleon only lost us games last year, when he shoulder was so hurt that he had problems running. He did't cost us any games two years ago when he lead the team in interceptions, and so far this year he hasn't cost us the game.

Kind of hard to do playing with sucha big cushion.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has played better this year. I also think our non-existent pass rush is why we are getting torched this year, not necessarily the coverage.

It's just hard to like McCleon, when he was consistently beat last year and you knew he was going to get thrown at! I still think Warfield is better than a healthy McCleon, and think he should be starting immediately. Even if it takes him a little bit to get back to where he was, we will be better in the longrun throwing him in now and getting him up to speed for the upcoming divisional contests.

Lzen
10-13-2005, 12:45 PM
So that makes him better than Warfield? :spock:

Nope, I didn't say that. I think Warfield is better and much more suited to Gun's defensive scheme. I'm just saying that McCleon was a decent CB at one time. But I do want to see a more aggressive, blitzing, man-to-man defense now. Seems we forgot how to do that. Hopefully, EW's return will help that. But if we don't get pressure on the QB, it doesn't matter who is playing CB. No CB can cover a receiver all day long.

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Also, I'm fine with McCleon being moved to the dime defense once Warfield gets 100% back in the swing. Benny Sapp does NOT need to be taken off the field IMO.

Lzen
10-13-2005, 12:46 PM
while in tennessee Gun made a comment about Warfield "being nothing more than a nickleback" or something similiar when told that the chiefs just gave Eric a new contract for starter money.

Hmm, that's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Of course, that was at least 3-4 years ago. I'd say EW might have changed Gun's mind by now. Afterall, he didn't start playing his best ball until then.

Seek
10-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has played better this year. I also think our non-existent pass rush is why we are getting torched this year, not necessarily the coverage.

It's just hard to like McCleon, when he was consistently beat last year and you knew he was going to get thrown at! I still think Warfield is better than a healthy McCleon, and think he should be starting immediately. Even if it takes him a little bit to get back to where he was, we will be better in the longrun throwing him in now and getting him up to speed for the upcoming divisional contests.

Trust me there, there was times when the ball was in the the air, I paniced knowing it was McCleon defending the receiver. Just like last week against TO. You could hear the whole stadium go from yelling to a quiet "OH SHIT". and then see McCleon come down with it with a huge roar.

Right Now I would say that Warfield is more likely to lose us a game than McCleon, which is why I didn't think Warfield would take over until November. When Porter and Moss come to town.

Seek
10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Also, I'm fine with McCleon being moved to the dime defense once Warfield gets 100% back in the swing. Benny Sapp does NOT need to be taken off the field IMO.

I have not seen Benny Sapp do anything except blitz.

cmh6476
10-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Of course, that was at least 3-4 years ago. I'd say EW might have changed Gun's mind by now. Afterall, he didn't start playing his best ball until then.
yeah, this might be one of the very few cases in the NFL when a player actually started playing well as the result a lucrative contract, and not vice-versa! :hmmm:

Cochise
10-13-2005, 12:54 PM

McCleon has a hell of a lot more experience and interceptions, etc., plays made for the Chiefs, than Sapp does

Fish
Vermeil quote on McCleon and the zone coverage....

McCleon played well when he joined the Chiefs two seasons ago but struggled last season and was benched at one point. He had injury problems and had shoulder surgery during the offseason.

"He's healthy now," Vermeil said. "We're playing corner more conservatively than we did last year. Not as much press man (coverage), more bail, more zone, more variations. I think that's taken some pressure off him."

Taking pressure off McCleon..... He won't admit that McCleon is slow and undersized, but he'll say they've changed the corner coverage to take pressure off him....

Hopefully when Warfield gets back they will go back to press man coverage........

Count Zarth

He was also in on the breakup that won the Oakland game.

And yes, he is a good blitzer. I just think he's superior in the nickel role.

Seek
10-13-2005, 12:55 PM
McCleon has a hell of a lot more experience and interceptions, etc., plays made for the Chiefs, than Sapp does

but Benny Sapp has made more plays and Interceptions than Bartee.

cmh6476
10-13-2005, 12:57 PM
but Benny Sapp has made more plays and Interceptions than Bartee.
Bartee isn't even in the equation. He's a safety

Seek
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
He was also in on the breakup that won the Oakland game.

And yes, he is a good blitzer. I just think he's superior in the nickel role.

He was just in on the play, He didn't do anything to break it up. The play would have ended the same with or without Sapp.

I love Benny. I am really excited he is on the team. I was glad we had a true corner instead of the converted safeties to develop, but I think McCleon is a better NB than Sapp.

Seek
10-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Bartee isn't even in the equation. He's a safety

I know, I was trying to give credit to Sapp. Bartee is my least favorite player, so I was just rubbing in that Benny Sapp, while young, has accomplished more in one year than Bartee has in five years.

Cochise
10-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Hopefully when Warfield gets back they will go back to press man coverage........

Question: When was the last time the Chiefs played press man coverage consistently over the course of a game?

How would the be going "back" to it?

htismaqe
10-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Question: When was the last time the Chiefs played press man coverage consistently over the course of a game?

Exactly.

We'd have to do it first before we could go BACK to it.

BigRedChief
10-13-2005, 01:35 PM
yeah, this might be one of the very few cases in the NFL when a player actually started playing well as the result a lucrative contract, and not vice-versa! :hmmm:

No kidding. The Planet as a whole said WTF!:hmmm: Warfield gets #1 corner money?

Mr. Laz
10-13-2005, 01:56 PM
uh.... Since when does "needs more reps" mean he isn't getting any reps?
warfield has already said that he's getting mostly special teams reps.

only about 5 per practice with the regular defense

try and keep up

Seek
10-13-2005, 02:01 PM

Back when we had James Hasty, Dale Carter, Reggie Tongue and Jerome Woods, with DT and Neil Smith applying the pressure.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-13-2005, 03:37 PM

after he got back surgery his play improved as well