PDA

View Full Version : Girl QB lighting it up in Cali

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 06:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2187201

15-year-old girl throws three touchdowns

Associated Press

TORRANCE, Calif. -- When the Bishop Montgomery High School quarterback went down with a fractured leg, his replacement stepped in and completed four of five passes for three touchdowns.

There's nothing too unusual about that, except that the replacement quarterback was a girl.

Miranda McOsker, 15, is one of 253 girls out of 100,000 high school students in California who are playing football this year, according to the California Interscholastic Foundation. She joined the private Catholic school's football program last spring.

"I didn't try out for quarterback, I was just looking to play anything," said the 5-foot-9, 140-pound sophomore. "One day I was throwing with the quarterback after practice and the coaches watched me. They told me to play quarterback the next day and ever since I've been playing quarterback."

McOkser is the starting quarterback for the junior varsity team and the third-stringer on the varsity squad. She got into the varsity game Friday after her team led early and Coach Arnold Ale put in the second-string quarterback, who was injured.

Ale said he doesn't know if Miranda will become the starting varsity quarterback for the school in suburban Los Angeles but expects her to compete for the position during the next two seasons.

Her parents support her choice of sport and her teammates accept her as just another player.

"We've been good friends for a while," sophomore center Rob Huizar said. "When she started playing football, I told her that I'm the center, so I'll get the offensive line to protect her as long as she gets the throw to the receivers."

Miranda's uncle, John McOsker, also played quarterback for Bishop Montgomery. The family is trying to figure out if he ever threw three touchdowns in a game.

"I think the answer is no, because he hasn't gotten back to me yet," said Miranda's father, Tim McOsker, an attorney who served as chief of staff to former Los Angeles Mayor James Hahn.

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
How awesome for the center!

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Unless, of course...

"I prefer the shotgun, coach."

Stone cold bitch.

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I think she's bigger than Doug Flutie.

shaneo69
10-13-2005, 06:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2187201

15-year-old girl throws three touchdowns

McOkser is the starting quarterback for the junior varsity team and the third-stringer on the varsity squad. She got into the varsity game Friday after her team led early and Coach Arnold Ale put in the second-string quarterback, who was injured.

Ale said he doesn't know if Miranda will become the starting varsity quarterback for the school in suburban Los Angeles but expects her to compete for the position during the next two seasons.

The coach is an ex-Chief LB.

Rain Man
10-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Whoa, hey. You're right.

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 06:36 PM
She started things off in the third quarter with a 65-yard touchdown strike to Leland Jones.

McOsker's second touchdown came in the fourth quarter. McOsker drew coverage by looking at her primary receiver, then threw to secondary receiver Matthew Perez for a 35-yard touchdown.

She capped things off with a 25-yard scoring pass to Ashton Pittman.

CosmicPal
10-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Man, the opposing team's defensive backs are as bad as our own.

Rain Man
McOsker's second touchdown came in the fourth quarter. McOsker drew coverage by looking at her primary receiver, then threw to secondary receiver Matthew Perez for a 35-yard touchdown.

Women. You just can't trust them.

Count Zarth
"We've been good friends for a while," sophomore center Rob Huizar said. "When she started playing football, I told her that I'm the center, so I'll get the offensive line to protect her as long as she gets the throw to the receivers."

He's whipped.

Dunit35
10-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Amazing! Practice over...Hit the showers! She fairly tall for a lady too. Id feel bad if I was a DB and was letting her torch us. I can see it now. The first girl ever drafted in the NFL! QBOTF anyone.

With the 24th pick in the draft Kansas City selects Miranda McOsker out of High School.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2005, 08:00 PM
"Franklin said some things whitey just wasn't ready to hear!"
"G.O.B., weren't you also mercilessly beaten outside a club in Torrance for that act?"
"He also said some things that African-Americaney wasn't ready to hear, either."

Spicy McHaggis
10-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I know guys on my high school squad who were smaller than her our freshmen year. Good for her, if she can play, keep her on the field.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2005, 08:52 PM
She'd torch the Montour secondary, without a doubt. ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
10-13-2005, 08:54 PM
They should schedule that team that chose to forfeit rather than play against a girl (I know, they're different states...).

Saulbadguy
10-13-2005, 08:55 PM
QBOTF?

FRCDFED
10-13-2005, 09:50 PM

He's whipped.Cut him some slack!! He gets his balls rubbed 50 times in an hour and a half!! I'd be whipped!! Getting the jewels polished tends to make me say silly shit too!

Lurch
10-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Maybe she's not really a girl? I'll bet she has a penis.

SCChief
10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Good for her!

I wish her continuing success. The real question is... if she continues to put up awesome numbers for the rest of her high school career, are any college teams out there willing to give her a shot? I know a few have used female kickers, but not aware of a female QB yet.

Count Zarth
10-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Good for her!

I wish her continuing success. The real question is... if she continues to put up awesome numbers for the rest of her high school career, are any college teams out there willing to give her a shot? I know a few have used female kickers, but not aware of a female QB yet.

Let's be realistic.

The first good shot she took would probably injure her severely.

greg63
10-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Good for her!

I don't see that happening with sexual harassment laws being what they are. :p :D

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Well for one, McCleon better hope she doesn't make the league. It would be really bad on him to get burnt by a girl.

Next she better not a get a scholly to a Big Ten school, when she makes those trips to Iowa she might get offened in the pink locker room.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2005, 12:58 AM
She fairly tall for a lady too. Eh...My sister is 6', I'm only 5'11":( ...

Rain Man
10-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Let's be realistic.

The first good shot she took would probably injure her severely.

That's not true. Because back during the Civil War, when men regularly beat their wives, women became genetically well-bred to take a hard hit.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/other/2002/0226/photo/a_jessegreek_hi.jpg

Cochise
10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Come on people. This kind of thing might fly in high school, but until a girl can run a 4.4, take a shot from a 300+ pound defensive lineman, or throw a fastball 100 mph, they aren't going to be making it in professional sports.

There are plenty of things women are better than men at. Why not accept that each sex has their strong points instead of pretending like we're equal in every respect?

Good luck to her and everything... but I think it's silly the way the story is on the news as some kind of rallying cry for women to take over men's sports. I won't hold my breath.

InChiefsHell
10-14-2005, 08:37 AM
I saw a story out of California a year ago. It was on like MTV or something. Anyway, they had this girl who wanted to prove that she could play with the boys. They hooked her up with a coach who trained her. She spent time with a Woman's pro football team out there (some of those chicks were freakin' scary). Anyway, in the end, she got to play LB for like one play and actually "made" a tackle. (Guy was wrapped up by somebody else and was going down anyway.) Assesment: I was not impressed. She cried most of the way through the training, and they wound up taking it easy on her because she couldn't take it. But at the end of the show, suddenly she had proved that she could do it...

...it was a crock. Don't get me wrong, there probably are some girls who can play football with the boys, but they are few and far between. And this girl wasn't one of them.

Tuckdaddy
10-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Don't you mean "Giving it up"

Thig Lyfe
10-14-2005, 09:11 AM
That's pretty cool.

Wonder if she has been knocked around at all yet?

Pitt Gorilla
10-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Come on people. This kind of thing might fly in high school, but until a girl can run a 4.4, take a shot from a 300+ pound defensive lineman, or throw a fastball 100 mph, they aren't going to be making it in professional sports.

There are plenty of things women are better than men at. Why not accept that each sex has their strong points instead of pretending like we're equal in every respect?

Good luck to her and everything... but I think it's silly the way the story is on the news as some kind of rallying cry for women to take over men's sports. I won't hold my breath.
I don't see this story as a rallying cry at all. This girl has been mildly successful in a guys game. That is cool. Whether or not she'll do it at the varsity level is an interesting question. It sounds like she can air the ball out. As long as she's not running the option and has a decent line, the ability to consistently take a big hit isn't as important. Her progress should be fun to watch.

Rain Man
10-14-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't see this story as a rallying cry at all. This girl has been mildly successful in a guys game. That is cool. Whether or not she'll do it at the varsity level is an interesting question. It sounds like she can air the ball out. As long as she's not running the option and has a decent line, the ability to consistently take a big hit isn't as important. Her progress should be fun to watch.

And by the way, Chris Chandler had a long NFL career, and there's no way that she's more fragile than him.

Cochise
10-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Now that I think about it, Grbac made millions playing football with a vagina so why couldn't she?

Scaga
10-14-2005, 10:25 AM
$100 says the center doesn't wear a cup. :clap:

Earthling
10-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Who was it saying that "the way they were changing the rules for NFL play, you might as well put a skirt on the qb"?

Kyle401
10-14-2005, 10:41 AM
We only had one girl "go out" for HS football when I played. She was about the same size as this girl but she wanted to play WR. Our coach didn't hold anybody back in practice (Seniors went full speed against freshmen etc.)

She came to mini-camps for two days before giving up. I think the solo open field tackling drill eventually did her in. Coach would line up two players about 15 yards apart, give one the ball and tell the other one to make the tackle. She was constantly alternating between getting run over by the ball-carrier or getting pounded into the ground by the tackler.

I think that there were a couple of guys there who she could have matched up fairly well with, but she never had a chance at them. I don't know if that was intentional on the coach's part or not. Probably was, he liked to weed out smaller players, if they lacked toughness, by repeatedly matching them up against bigger players.