PDA

View Full Version : 290 MIL.

redbrian
10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Power Ball is now at $290 mil.

Three part question here.

1) Giving that the odds do not change dramatically if you buy more than 1 chance how much are you putting down.
2) Lump sum of approximantly $145 mil or 20 year annuity.
3) And what the hell do you do with all of that dough?

Donger
10-14-2005, 09:17 PM

1) Giving that the odds do not change dramatically if you buy more than 1 chance how much are you putting down.

I'm taxed enough, thank you.

tk13
10-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I give it all to Carl Peterson for Arrowhead stadium improvements. Duh.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-14-2005, 09:23 PM
give 20 mil. to some charity

set up trusts for my future children,

buy a house, a new ford, a new dodge, and a new chevy
build one hell of a truck from all the pieces

Hoover
10-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Pay off all my debt (House & School Loans)
I'd give all my close family some cash
I'd set up a trust (we my wife, shes an attorney)
I'd give a bunch to my church
I'd also build something cool in my town, like a public swimming pool and community center.

After thats all done, I would buy up a bunch of land, and build a huge lake and golf course for the Hoover upscale housing development.

Of course I'd buy a new car, and as much as I love my new house I'd build a new one thats not in town. Maybe I'd give my current home to the church for the pastor to live in.

I think I'd have a hell of a time.

SBK
10-14-2005, 09:36 PM

I can't believe nobody has said this.....

"2 chicks at the same time"

Hoover
10-14-2005, 09:38 PM

in a pool of money

redbrian
10-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Just to the South East of Truman Sports Complex there is approximately 25 acres of land for sale.

On part of the land is an old barn, which I could see turned into one of the best sports bars in the country.

Saggysack
10-14-2005, 09:41 PM
10 bucks

29yr annuity

BMW M6
BMW 760Li
Audi A8 L W12

Set up children for rest of their lives
Take care of family

and disappear.

Hoover
10-14-2005, 09:42 PM
So is the lump sum the best way to go or what?

redbrian
10-14-2005, 09:44 PM

Lump sum is the way to go.

Just using the simple rule of 7 that you will double your money every 7 years you will do much better investing it your self.

joesomebody
10-14-2005, 09:51 PM
I'd quit my job (in 10 months)
pay off my jeep
buy a house

get season tickets

buy houses for my brothers

finish my bachelors degree at whatever the hell school I wanted, and take as long as I wanted to

get a house at the lake of the o'zarks

um... then I'd invest the rest in some type of guaranteed return type thing... money market or cd's...

And I'd live off of the interest.

Definitly taking lump sum...
Of course Utah doesn't sell lottery tickets...

Ari Chi3fs
10-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Id buy each and everyone of you a six pack of Loft. Well, not the donkey fans.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-14-2005, 10:06 PM
i also think i would buy a H2

Halfcan
10-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I would have a huge party and have Rush play. Your all invited. I would also give all the cool people on here 100 grand each.

Halfcan
10-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh and 10 mil to 37 Forever.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh and 10 mil to 37 Forever.

suck up

ChiefsCountry
10-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Buy the Royals.

KCChiefsMan
10-14-2005, 11:18 PM
I'd buy myself 3 cars, probably an Escalade or Navigator, the best BMW out there and an old Pontiac GTO. I'd buy a nice house, I'd also buy my mom and sister a new house each and new cars. I'd invest some of it and live the Paris Hilton, without the fame and modeling, life.

NJ Chief Fan
10-14-2005, 11:19 PM
id become a "real fan" and make sure i never miss another chief home game or for that matter away game ever

Mr. Flopnuts
10-15-2005, 01:58 AM
I'd wipe my ass with $100 bills for a week.

Extra Point
10-15-2005, 07:38 AM
1)$5
2)20 year--What damn diff does it make?
3)Year 1: Kill all debts, buy some land, buy/rent all the construction equipment and build a new home, give money to immediate family. Plan for what I would do to take on 2 worthwhile projects a year that could use funding, and help kickstart them and ensure enough funds to maintain them.

Skip Towne
10-15-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm not playing. I won the Polish lottery. $3 million. I get $30 a year for a thousand years.

Ralphy Boy
10-15-2005, 08:34 AM
I would have a huge party and have Rush play. Your all invited. I would also give all the cool people on here 100 grand each.
Rep!

Mile High Mania
10-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Buy a ticket with these numbers... they're going to be the winners!

4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Bwana
10-15-2005, 08:48 AM
A Few things I would do..........

1.) Buy a HUGE SUV, and laugh at gas prices like a school girl.
2.) Give a lot to charity.
3.) Throw one hell of a Chiefs Planet Party.
4.) Go out on a Safari.

redbrian
10-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Buy a ticket with these numbers... they're going to be the winners!

4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Noooooo, you will bring doom to your self and all that you love........

wait your a donk fan, go ahead and good luck :p

Bowser
10-15-2005, 09:46 AM

After all taxes, you would have 100 million in your pocket.

So yes, lump sum is the way to go. In this case, anyway.....

Bwana
10-15-2005, 10:01 AM
After all taxes, you would have 100 million in your pocket.

So yes, lump sum is the way to go. In this case, anyway.....

With 100 Million, the winner would have every bank in town courting them like Mr. Drysdale courted the Clampet family. :)

CosmicPal
10-15-2005, 10:03 AM
1. I don't play the lottery until it gets this high. It's funny, I didn't know the lottery was so high until I made a trip to the convenience store yesterday, and a trip to the grocery store last night- everyone was buying a ticket or more with their original purchases. So, I did as well.

I'll buy a couple of tickets when I'm making purchases, but I don't go out of my way to do so.

2. With the dough being this high, I'd take the lump sum. That is, if I'm the only one winning. If I'm sharing it with another person or more, I'd probably opt for the annuity.

3. I honestly wouldn't do much. The first thing I'd do though is quit my job and then get a few buddies and take them to Vegas for a weekend. Once back, I'd get a Winnebago and drive around the country for about a year. I'd drive up to Alaska and back down. Not only do I get to see everything, but I'm away from anyone trying to contact me for money.

Once I returned from my trip- I'd buy a modest home and then look into other properties- including the mountains of Colorado and Lake of the Ozarks. I'd set up a savings plan for all of nephews and niece- they will receive money for college depending upon their final GPA when they graduate from high school- the higher the GPA, the more money they receive for college.

I'd buy season tickets to the Chiefs.

I'd travel the world- play golf in Ireland, drink wine in Italy, smoke hashish in Amsterdam, scuba off the coast of Australia, get a massage in Jakarta, and drink tequila under a rotund moon deep in the heart of Mexico.

With that kind of money, the possibilities are endless...

Cochise
10-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I tried to buy one last week, even though I never usually do, but there was some clown in front of me buying $100 worth of tickets.

I hope he was buying for a group buy at his workplace or something.

CosmicPal
10-15-2005, 10:11 AM
I tried to buy one last week, even though I never usually do, but there was some clown in front of me buying $100 worth of tickets.

I hope he was buying for a group buy at his workplace or something.

I stay away from those office pools- if you knew the kind of peeps I work with, you'd understand why I would rather just stay out of any future lawsuits trying to get my share of the money.

Saggysack
10-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't knock the annuity option. Lump sum may not be always the best way to go. You have to average almost 7% every year for 30yrs on the lump sum payment to match the annuity option payout over 30yrs. And let's be honest, nobody is going to tie up all 100 million in investments. After you buy the cars, a nice house, a vacation home, give to charity, gifts to family and friends, take your trips...money to live etc etc. You would be investing alot less than you expect. Alot of investment people are rethinking their stance on lump sum payouts on huge lotteries. Not to mention, IMO to defer tax payments over 30yrs is better to me than paying the piper everything up front in 1.

Your decision should depend on situation and state laws. Age is a critical factor as well as if your state has laws that if they allow your heirs to recieve the money after you die. I'm 30yrs old now. TThe annuity option would allow me to live a nice life for a very long time at 9 million a year. While allowing me to take the money I don't spend every year and be able to diversify my money in smaller, less risky investments.

At this point, the annuity is the better option for me.

Saggysack
10-15-2005, 10:51 AM
And wouldn't you pay capital gains taxes on the lump sum payment rather than just maxing out earnings taxes every year with the annuity option?

Ari Chi3fs
10-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Id buy a "Chiefsplanet Suite" at the Chiefs games... and Id travel to all the away games.

Id donate 10% to various charities

I have a few business ideas brewing. Really, all I need is 1/2 a million and I believe I can turn it into half a billion.

Id probably move to Hawaii in the Summer and live in Lawrence in teh Fall/Winter. Season tix to Jayhawks and Chiefs. That would own.

And Id hook up quite of few of the cool CP members will 100K each. That is a good idea.

My close friends would each get their debt wiped out and 1/2 mill. Mom and Pops on both sides of family get a nice home, and my kids get a nice trust fund.

Word.

Bwana
10-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, One more thing. I would buy gochiefs a hooker so he could taste his first piece of azz. Not just any hooker, one will all her teeth!!

Mr. Laz
10-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Don't knock the annuity option. Lump sum may not be always the best way to go. You have to average almost 7% every year for 30yrs on the lump sum payment to match the annuity option payout over 30yrs. And let's be honest, nobody is going to tie up all 100 million in investments. After you buy the cars, a nice house, a vacation home, give to charity, gifts to family and friends, take your trips...money to live etc etc. You would be investing alot less than you expect. Alot of investment people are rethinking their stance on lump sum payouts on huge lotteries. Not to mention, IMO to defer tax payments over 30yrs is better to me than paying the piper everything up front in 1.

Your decision should depend on situation and state laws. Age is a critical factor as well as if your state has laws that if they allow your heirs to recieve the money after you die. I'm 30yrs old now. TThe annuity option would allow me to live a nice life for a very long time at 9 million a year. While allowing me to take the money I don't spend every year and be able to diversify my money in smaller, less risky investments.

nice post

Fire Me Boy!
10-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd take care of all the stuff that you would normally do (house, debt, family children -- ostensibly only $50M would more than cover it), I'd buy enough equipment to set myself up a film studio/sound stage somewhere in Colorado with my own equipment (another $10M would cover it), then put the rest in an interest bearing account and live off the interest. Even with all that money, I'd need to work. I'd drive myself crazy if I didn't.

Mr. Rat Fink
10-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Powerball also allows you to split the winnings...partial annuity, partial lump sum.

kepp
10-15-2005, 02:25 PM

Office Space!!

Saggysack
10-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Powerball also allows you to split the winnings...partial annuity, partial lump sum.

I don't think they allow you splitting payment options. It is either annuity or lump sum.

If you have choosen the annuity you can borrow against future annual payments

Rain Man
10-15-2005, 04:50 PM
A friend and I always buy a few tickets when it gets above about $80 million. I'm doubled down with nine tickets right now, plus my pal's tickets. Because of that, I'll only get about $70 million with my win, which is nonetheless all I need.

With my winnings, I will look into buying a third world country somewhere, maybe Surinam or Andorra. Location, location, location. Even a good third-world country would be a bad investment if it's on a continent that's all third-world.

If I can't find a good one, then my deal with Pauly, the God of Blind Dumb Luck, is that I'll give one-third of it to family members, charity, and a few friends. After taxes and this giving, I'll take home about $32 million, which will produce an after-tax income of about $700,000 a year in risk-free investments. I'll use that money to buy a 1987 Lamborghini Countach, finish off my house restoration and burn the mortgage, buy some clothes and stuff, buy a bunch of games, and then the rest I'll spend on a full-time butler, maid, masseuse, and game opponent.

Oh, and every week of the season I'd have a contest on here to figure out who's going to the game with me that week.

Mr. Rat Fink
10-15-2005, 04:58 PM
With my winnings, I will look into buying a third world country somewhere, maybe Surinam or Andorra. Location, location, location. Even a good third-world country would be a bad investment if it's on a continent that's all third-world.

You could buy one of those country/islands they're developing off the coast of Dubai.

http://www.hainsworth.com/blog/the_world_dubai.jpg

Saggysack
10-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Nobody won.

It's up to 340 million, 164.4 cash value.

luv
10-16-2005, 12:25 AM

1. It only takes one to win.
2. Lump sum. I don't want to py out the wazoo in taxes every year.
3. Spend it..DUH! lol Nah. Well, I would spend it, but I would also save it, invest it, give to charity, etc. I wonder if I could buy me love?

keg in kc
10-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I might have to buy a ticket Wednesday. Although I have no chance in hell of winning.

luv
10-16-2005, 12:52 AM
I might have to buy a ticket Wednesday. Although I have no chance in hell of winning.
Actually, you have one chance in however many tickets are sold. Same difference though.

keg in kc
10-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Actually, you have one chance in however many tickets are soldIf that was true, the jackpot wouldn't be over 300 million.

Mr. Rat Fink
10-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Actually, you have one chance in however many tickets are sold. Same difference though.

The odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 146,107,962.

Bowser
10-16-2005, 07:30 AM
If that was true, the jackpot wouldn't be over 300 million.

They've added numbers to chose from, making the odds of winning worse for you.

But don't worry.....all the moneythat goes into the Powerball system gets put back in to the education system of the various states that participate in it. So think of all the good you're doing by playing Powerball and losing!

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Fire Me Boy!
10-16-2005, 09:05 AM
I wonder if I could buy me love?
No... but it would rent you a pool boy that would fake it.

Bowser
10-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Good news, everyone! I've just recieved an offer from a Khalid Shipping agency in Kuwait via e-mail, who is needing my help in dispersing 17 MILLION dollars to various HIV relief agenices here in America, and has promised me 10% for my assistance. Powerball, Shmowerball.

Compare yourselves to me, then go cry!

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 10:40 AM
You could buy one of those country/islands they're developing off the coast of Dubai.

http://www.hainsworth.com/blog/the_world_dubai.jpg

I'll have to look into that.

jspchief
10-17-2005, 10:48 AM
I love some of the answers in here. The "I'll buy an H2, Escalade, etc" posts crack me up. Talk about thinking small. You could buy a new Escalade every single day for 10 years with that kind of money. The cars I get are an afterthought.

I'd become a professional tailgater. I'd go to all the NFL stadiums. I'd catch all the big college games at all the storied stadiums. Half of my year would be about football games, and the parties that surround them.

I also have about ten businesses I'd open, including a sports bar next to Arrowhead that had a parking garage and retractable roof.

Brock
10-17-2005, 10:50 AM
A luxury suite for the planet tailgaters. It would be the rowdiest bunch in there, I can assure you. I sat in there with the bluehairs on Sunday. It sucked.

Thig Lyfe
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm gonna buy me a retractable roof. And maybe a defensive tackle, wide receiver, and offensive lineman.

bsp4444
10-17-2005, 11:26 AM
How much would it cost me to get my name on the new Arrowhead stadium with a retractable roof?

Wilson
10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
1. $10
2. Lump sum
3. Quit my job