PDA

View Full Version : Why did we acquire Patrick Surtain?

siberian khatru
10-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Game on the line, we have Dewayne Washington covering Santana Moss.

Why? What kind of "system" doesn't allow for your No. 1 -- your ONLY good -- CB to cover the other team's best WR?

JBucc
10-16-2005, 02:22 PM
this system

Reaper16
10-16-2005, 02:22 PM
It's terrible, quite frankly. Surtain was matched up against Moss probably less than 5 times today. Something needs to change.

morphius
10-16-2005, 02:23 PM
A system where guys play sides of the ball, no matter what the O does.

Simplex3
10-16-2005, 02:23 PM
...because Surtain is the corner on the OTHER side of the field and grandpa Vermeil is too damn stubborn to accept that McPassOn & Co. might not be good enough.

the Talking Can
10-16-2005, 02:24 PM
I'd like Gun to anaswer the same question about bell.

All Bell does is stand at the line of scrimmage and watch..or chase WR's across the middle and get burnt.

He's awful.

Simplex3
10-16-2005, 02:25 PM
A system where guys play sides of the ball, no matter what the O does.
Makes it easy for the opponent to get the matchup they want.

Valiant
...because Surtain is the corner on the OTHER side of the field and grandpa Vermeil is too damn stubborn to accept that McPassOn & Co. might not be good enough.

Well hopefully this game helps...

ArrowheadHawk
that is stupid surtain should cover the best wr

SNR
10-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Maybe Vermeil WAS right about free agents. Our own defensive players are better than what's out there

:p

Thig Lyfe
10-16-2005, 02:27 PM
WTF. This D needs to stop playing soft zone and start putting the best defenders on their best players.

A win is a win, though, so I'm happy. :)

Mecca
10-16-2005, 02:29 PM
I'd like Gun to anaswer the same question about bell.

All Bell does is stand at the line of scrimmage and watch..or chase WR's across the middle and get burnt.

He's awful.

Using Bell in coverage all the time like that is really stupid. The guys best attribute is Blitzing yet he really does it.

Reaper16
10-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Warfield needs to play next week; this McCleon zone s*** ain't gonna' cut it.

RINGLEADER
10-16-2005, 02:30 PM
If we had Law on the other side I could see it...but when you have a quality corner on one side and a big black hole on the other it makes no sense to let the other team dictate the match-ups. I vote 'stupid' on this one as well...

siberian khatru
10-16-2005, 02:33 PM
If we had Law on the other side I could see it...but when you have a quality corner on one side and a big black hole on the other

Hey, now, no need to bring race into this.

B_Ambuehl
10-16-2005, 02:40 PM
They did play a lot of man press coverage. Didn't you guys see Surtain's pass interference calls? How about that 60 yarder at the end of the first quarter?

BTW, Bell blitzed the large majority of the time today. I'll go back through later this week and count up the plays but the reason you don't notice him is because he blitzes every play and the offense acounts for him every play

The bottom line is the defensive coaching sux and there are no more excuses. The "can't get a pass rush" excuse was shot down today. The "we don't have the players" at linebacker and secondary excuse has been shot down. The blitzes are predictable they run the same damn things every other play and they leave players in bad positions. When you give up 350 yards passing and 3 touchdowns to a Mark Brunell despite getting 4 sacks out of your front 4 then something is wrong with your scheme.

htismaqe
10-16-2005, 02:43 PM

Vermeil?

Give me a ****ing break.

Vermeil has NOTHING at all to do with this defense. Gunther is in COMPLETE control of this travesty.

KCFalcon59
10-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Gun's system requires 2 top notch cb's. We don't have that but try to run our defense as if we do. insane.

Sure-Oz
10-16-2005, 03:19 PM
I think when warfield comes back and at decent speed should open up morei hope.

chief99
10-16-2005, 04:01 PM
WASHINGTON stayed step for step with MOSS !

Amazing. TV guys were talking it up too.

Michael Michigan
10-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Why did we acquire Patrick Surtain?

He's a decoy.

It's a great strategy.

If you were a real fan - you'd know this.

suds79
10-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Game on the line, we have Dewayne Washington covering Santana Moss.

Why? What kind of "system" doesn't allow for your No. 1 -- your ONLY good -- CB to cover the other team's best WR?

That's a good question.

But it sounds like you have a problem with Gunther Cunningham more than Patrick Surtain.

Gunther runs the defense. Patrick just covers whoever Gun puts infront of him.... And so far, apparently that's whoever is lining up on the right side of the field.
:shake: :shake: :shake:

milkman
10-16-2005, 04:59 PM
He's a decoy.

It's a great strategy.

If you were a real fan - you'd know this.

He's not a decoy.

What the hell games are you watching?

He has shut down everybody's #3 receiver! :cuss: :p

Skip Towne
10-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Using Bell in coverage all the time like that is really stupid. The guys best attribute is Blitzing yet he really does it.
Yes, he really does!