PDA

View Full Version : Have talk radio and the internet taken some of the pleasure out of the game?

keg in kc
10-17-2005, 01:06 AM
This is something I started noticing last season, that my degree of post-game enjoyment or suffering can be heavily influenced by what I listen to or read afterwards.

Here's my afternoon, for example:

@3:15, the Chiefs win. I am euphoric, huge smile on my face. Feeling great.

Then, for some reason, I switch from the KCFX post-game to see what the guys on 610 and 810 are saying. It's a bitch-fest on both stations. If I hadn't heard the game, I'd have thought we lost. And it's not just the hosts, it's caller after caller after caller. Just minutes after a win, not a pretty win, but a win, and maybe 1 guy in 10 seems the least bit...happy about it.

And I see the board was the same way.

So here's the question: Have fans always been like this? 10 years ago, before or at the start of proliferation of both talk radio and internet as they are today, if I'd caught the game in a bar or with some friends, would we have done the same thing? Back then, did we microscopically dissect every facet of the game/team from every conceivable angle?

I don't think I used to. There was a time (which I'm starting to return to) where I cared a lot more about wins and losses than I did all this...minutia. I got so bad, even, that I stopped watching games for a time last year, because I was constantly angry and bitter. And I wonder if that's a by-product of being saturated by talk-radio "analysis" and bulletin board meanderings.

Have we changed, as fans? Or was I just not paying attention before?

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Minutia rules.

HolmeZz
10-17-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm a bit too young to compare how games were disected in the past, but I think football is the type of sport where things will naturally be put under a microscope. It is a very technical game and one simple play can completely alter a game.

If you're really ticked about how much the game gets broken down, I'd blame the media. If they didn't break it down on their own, then the general public wouldn't have as much to bitch about.

As far as today's game goes, I couldn't complain since we happened to win, but there's definitely things I'm concerned about and would like to see the team address. You may look at it as bitching or complaining, but in a way it's me wanting(or atleast thinking I know) what's best for the team.

RedDread
10-17-2005, 01:22 AM
One word: Yes

Mecca
10-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Some people are either always negative or have such high expectations unless the Chiefs look awesome and hadily win they aren't happy. The over negative stuff is ridiculous bitching like we lost is dumb.

The Chiefs made the key plays to win the game. The D held up and made a play at the end to secure the win. There are positives from this game. Some people would just rather bitch all the time.

Personally I take anything that's coming out of sports talk radio with a grain of salt. The "we suck" theme gets alot more calls than the "we did enough to win" theme.

No matter how the team wins. I'll always be happy with him. I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty that's for damn sure.

keg in kc
10-17-2005, 01:23 AM
I think you're probably right about the media thing.

And reading that again, I sound more critical than I intended to be. I'm asking out a curiousity, not so much making a complaint. I really wonder what kind of an impact this blanket coverage has had on the fanbase. If any.

Obviously it's what people want...

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Hey keg, any reason you stopped doing the crystal ball?

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-17-2005, 01:25 AM
i dont know what to tell you, a team wins the quarterback and the coach get the credit, the team looses the defence, the grass, the color of the ball, how high or low the stadium is, and the coach, the quarterback are all left to blame

that is the way football fans have been for as long as i can remeber, love you when your hot, hate you when your not.

keg in kc
10-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey keg, any reason you stopped doing the crystal ball?I forgot.

I'm in the middle of some heavy work. I ought to be asleep right now, but I'm in that "I've been staring at a screen for 12 hours" zombie stage.

tk13
10-17-2005, 01:29 AM
I forgot.

I'm in the middle of some heavy work. I ought to be asleep right now, but I'm in that "I've been staring at a screen for 12 hours" zombie stage.
If you were truly good with your crystal ball, you would've known you were going to forget and planned accordingly.

keg in kc
10-17-2005, 01:33 AM
I think it's been long proven that any ball attached to me is utterly useless.

luv
10-17-2005, 01:34 AM
I think you're probably right about the media thing.

And reading that again, I sound more critical than I intended to be. I'm asking out a curiousity, not so much making a complaint. I really wonder what kind of an impact this blanket coverage has had on the fanbase. If any.

Obviously it's what people want...
They always said that, if Eisenhour had been running during the age of television broadcasts, he wouldn't have won the election. I think some has been lost with overexposure. Baseball players weren't so big on the money issue when everyone listened to games on the radio. They played for the love of the game. I think the more forms of media you have, the more overexposure you're going to get. But it's also supply and demand too. Fans are interested in more information since it's available. And more people have more ways of voicing their opinions, good or bad.

|Zach|
10-17-2005, 04:28 AM
Yes.

the Talking Can
10-17-2005, 05:48 AM
I hear what you're saying...but I felt truly happy after the win yesterday, which suprised me (a lot)....I saw lots of problems, but look around the NFL.. a win is a win, no style points.

I never listen to the radio, win or lose, on game day except for post game interviews. At least here you can respond if you find something stupid.

the Talking Can
10-17-2005, 05:53 AM
p.s.

even though we were ugly at times, we had some great affort from Allen and Green (who gives his body up without hesitation) which made me happier than anything...I just want to see passion from our players...I can accept failure a lot easier if they're truly laying it on the line...

Terribilis
10-17-2005, 05:57 AM
yes

Cochise
10-17-2005, 07:17 AM
The solution to a lot of that would be not to switch over to 810 or 610. If the Chiefs win I'll listen to the postgame on 101 usually, but those other channels' coverage is not really uplifting, you are right.

tomahawk kid
10-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Here's a bit of advice: Don't listen to Sports Talk radio for a week or two.

It's amazing how much better you'll feel about this team.

The comparison isn't even close.

headsnap
10-17-2005, 07:48 AM
move away from KC so you don't get to listen to the local bozos.

I spent one weekend there and it was incredible the crap and the negativity from those stations.

With the internet, you can always but that deberg guy on iggy. ;)

Extra Point
10-17-2005, 08:04 AM

Agreed. Savor the silence.

What ifs don't really matter. There is no orgasm from mental masturbation.

Joe Seahawk
10-17-2005, 08:53 AM
I think there are a lot of folks in KC that didn't realize the Skins are actually a quality team.. (keg?)

Expecting a blowout, but got a squeaker.

keg in kc
10-17-2005, 09:37 AM
I think there are a lot of folks in KC that didn't realize the Skins are actually a quality team.. (keg?)I think you and I discussed that before they played Denver. That game impressed me.

Gaz
10-17-2005, 09:49 AM
While it does not diminish the visceral joy of winning a tough game, it is a bit of a disappointment to visit the Planet after a win and find a preponderance of negative comments.

Still, that is entirely within my control, ennit?

It is like we do not know how to savor a victory. Have we Chiefs fans been disappointed so many times that we are incapable of enjoying a win without all the caveats?

xoxo~
Gaz
Actually has no difficulty at all enjoying this win.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 09:50 AM
In the 90s when we had the great D's, I'd look at the stats and think, wow, we held them to 17 points but we gave up a ton of yards but we won...great.

Fast forwarding to the 21st Century, I started listening to talk radio and hearing that we are crap no matter if we win or not. Everyone knows that there are obvious improvements to be made in every phase of the game, win or lose, but enjoy the win and let the players and coaches do their jobs. It's ok to vent, but don't go on and on about how you watched the "game tape" and this and that. Enjoy the game. It's easier said than done, though, because we are all such huge fans of the Chiefs and football. And if you've played the game, you know that emotions are a big part of it.

That's my one required serious post for the month. It's already taken care of and it's only October 17. hehe

morphius
10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I think with posting on the BB's you learn a lot because it forces you to watch thing more closely. But then it makes it near impossible to ignore the negatives.

Joe - I think it has a lot more to do with their being so many doubt about our team being any good this year. With the last two previous "games" we saw very little to make us think this team was what we were hoping it would be, and until the team beats another team up and down the field people here will be completely doubtful of our ability.

Ari Chi3fs
10-17-2005, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I listen to my mp3 player to and from work... and I feel much better. The sports talk sucks.

morphius
10-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I listen to my mp3 player to and from work... and I feel much better. The sports talk sucks.
Yup. 95% of the callers come off as uninformed moron's the hosts are always looking to have some "rant" so they can be cool like Rome. Its annoying as hell. I may catch Petro at noon on my way home for lunch, because he seems to have his head screwed in right some of the time.

StcChief
10-17-2005, 10:23 AM
KCFX 101 after game. W or L.

These other guys shows are like they are gathering material to be used as promo tape for their next job interview.

Agreed they will listen to any dumb A$$ rant about BS. stir the pot instead of having a controlled show.

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 10:36 AM
People today are used to being bombarded with information and then analyzing it. This is par for the course, whether it's the Chiefs, the latest hurricane, or whatever...

jspchief
10-17-2005, 10:36 AM
I think with posting on the BB's you learn a lot because it forces you to watch thing more closely. But then it makes it near impossible to ignore the negatives.

Yep. The more details I know about the game, the closer I look at all aspects.

It doesn't take any pleasure away for me, because I am capable of seperating the event from the in-between.

I enjoyed the hell out of the game yesterday. I jumped and whooped and screamed and smiled. I slapped high fives with complete strangers, and for the most part I was happier than I am in everyday life. Those long TDs from Knight and Holmes took me to highs that I rarely reach.

And later that day, or the next day, I start thinking about what my team needs to continue to bring me those highs. I recognize weaknesses and strengths. I see dumb play calling and dumb execution, and realize next time we might see different results. I realize that games like the Philly game can take me pretty low.

Some of you like to call it bitching (and after a loss, it mostly is), but I will always be someone who looks at areas that need improvement. I'll do my "bitching" on Monday through maybe Wednesday or Thursday. Then I start getting up for the next game. And while I might "bitch", it never keeps me from enjoying a win, whether easy, lucky, or hard fought or even enjoying a close loss that provided me a lot of entertainment.

There are a lot of different styles of fans on this board.

siberian khatru
10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Parker nailed it, and jspchief followed with an answer that pretty much describes me, too.

Sometimes this place is worse after a win than a loss, because some folks like to analyze the game, praising some things, criticizing others, which elicits "Shut up, we won" responses and attacks on fandom and whatnot.

I think this line by jspchief -- "There are a lot of different styles of fans on this board" -- is something we all need to keep in mind at all times.

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 10:58 AM
Yep. The more details I know about the game, the closer I look at all aspects.

It doesn't take any pleasure away for me, because I am capable of seperating the event from the in-between.

I enjoyed the hell out of the game yesterday. I jumped and whooped and screamed and smiled. I slapped high fives with complete strangers, and for the most part I was happier than I am in everyday life. Those long TDs from Knight and Holmes took me to highs that I rarely reach.

And later that day, or the next day, I start thinking about what my team needs to continue to bring me those highs. I recognize weaknesses and strengths. I see dumb play calling and dumb execution, and realize next time we might see different results. I realize that games like the Philly game can take me pretty low.

Some of you like to call it bitching (and after a loss, it mostly is), but I will always be someone who looks at areas that need improvement. I'll do my "bitching" on Monday through maybe Wednesday or Thursday. Then I start getting up for the next game. And while I might "bitch", it never keeps me from enjoying a win, whether easy, lucky, or hard fought or even enjoying a close loss that provided me a lot of entertainment.

There are a lot of different styles of fans on this board.

Great post.

Mr. Laz
10-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Have talk radio and the internet taken some of the pleasure out of the game?
only if you can't tell the difference be discussion/bitching, analyzing/complaining.

if you can't, then go hang out at Nepa ... i hear they don't allow freedom of discussion.

i also hear that Rufus Dawes needs a friend, he believes that the media and fans need to STFD and STFU unless they have happy-happy-joy-joy things to say as well.

philfree
10-17-2005, 11:11 AM
This is something I started noticing last season, that my degree of post-game enjoyment or suffering can be heavily influenced by what I listen to or read afterwards.

Here's my afternoon, for example:

@3:15, the Chiefs win. I am euphoric, huge smile on my face. Feeling great.

Then, for some reason, I switch from the KCFX post-game to see what the guys on 610 and 810 are saying. It's a bitch-fest on both stations. If I hadn't heard the game, I'd have thought we lost. And it's not just the hosts, it's caller after caller after caller. Just minutes after a win, not a pretty win, but a win, and maybe 1 guy in 10 seems the least bit...happy about it.

And I see the board was the same way.

So here's the question: Have fans always been like this? 10 years ago, before or at the start of proliferation of both talk radio and internet as they are today, if I'd caught the game in a bar or with some friends, would we have done the same thing? Back then, did we microscopically dissect every facet of the game/team from every conceivable angle?

I don't think I used to. There was a time (which I'm starting to return to) where I cared a lot more about wins and losses than I did all this...minutia. I got so bad, even, that I stopped watching games for a time last year, because I was constantly angry and bitter. And I wonder if that's a by-product of being saturated by talk-radio "analysis" and bulletin board meanderings.

Have we changed, as fans? Or was I just not paying attention before?

Listening to and reading all the negative stuff after a very hard fought win assures me of something I've known for years. If given the chance most folks can fug up a rock fight.

PhilFree:arrow: