PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: KC can be Allen's town

tk13
10-17-2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12920785.htm

KC can be Allen’s town if he keeps crushing quarterbacks
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

It had been years since a Kansas City defensive player dominated a football game for 60 minutes and handed the Chiefs a victory.

Jared Allen ended that drought Sunday afternoon inside Arrowhead Stadium, terrorizing Washington during Kansas City’s 28-21 victory.

“If we don’t take the football away, we don’t win the game. That’s all there is to it,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil appropriately summarized.

It really is that simple. If Jared Allen hadn’t caused three fumbles and sacked Mark Brunell three times, the Chiefs would be a game below .500 today, nursing a three-game losing streak, and the whole town would be wondering who or what hijacked Kansas City’s record-setting offense (one touchdown Sunday).

Instead, Jared Allen has Kansas City football fans wondering what we witnessed Sunday — the second coming of Vonnie Holliday or the second coming of Neil Smith.

I’m leaning toward Neil Smith. Allen’s three-sack day won’t become the answer to a trivia question the way Holliday’s three-sack debut in a Chiefs uniform did. Allen has a shot at making KC’s defense respectable the rest of the season. And if Kansas City’s defense becomes respectable, the Chiefs, 3-2, can contend for a playoff spot.

The Chiefs’ defense was more opportunistic than dominant on Sunday. Washington rolled up nearly 400 yards of offense and 26 first downs and moved the ball all day. Its offense stalled primarily when Allen disrupted it with pass-rush pressure or just plain hustle.

Allen forced two fumbles with sheer extra effort, chasing down Brunell from behind and hitting running back Rock Cartwright downfield. Sammy Knight picked up Cartwright’s fumble and raced 80 yards for a touchdown. Washington was moving in for a go-ahead score when Cartwright coughed up the ball in the third quarter. Defensive end Carlos Hall got the credit for forcing the fumble, but Allen was there.

Allen’s other forced fumble thwarted Washington’s opening possession of the game, which reached the KC 7. Allen sprinted around the offensive tackle and stripped Brunell of the ball just as he was preparing to sling it.

Allen was worth at least 13 points Sunday. He caused a fumble that led directly to a Kansas City touchdown, and he cost Washington two opportunities to kick short field goals. You can’t ask a defensive player to do any more than what Allen delivered.

“Jared Allen was very special,” Vermeil said. “He has such an unbelievable motor. You expect him to run out of gas, and he just keeps humming.”

Allen said his big day was a product of picking up a “snap key” — something that helps a defensive lineman anticipate the snap — in film study. He also said the coaching staff challenged the defensive linemen to get sacks.

“We kind of got called out in our defensive-line meeting,” Allen said. “They said that we’re getting pressure, but we’re not putting the quarterback down.”

Allen’s potential ascension as a pass-rush force dictated Carl Peterson’s offseason philosophy. The Chiefs spent their free-agent money on linebacker Kendrell Bell and safety Sammy Knight and drafted linebacker Derrick Johnson in the first round because they believed Allen could fix KC’s problems along the line of scrimmage simply by improving on his nine-sack rookie season. That’s the main reason Vermeil reacted so strongly when Allen started slowly in training camp and preseason. Vermeil benched Allen.

“I knew I could play,” said Allen, who has five sacks this season. “I knew I was going to be fine. I just kept my head up.”

Allen, KC’s sack leader last year, is supposed to be the playmaker on the Chiefs’ front four. Without a playmaker up front, it’s difficult for KC’s new defenders to make an impact. Without a playmaker up front, Gunther Cunningham’s defense looks like Greg Robinson’s defense.

“Anybody who knows football knows that everything starts up front on both sides of the ball,” Allen said.

Allen’s play and intensity seemed to spark his linemates. Tackles Lional Dalton and John Browning were more active. Dalton flushed Brunell, and Browning picked up the sack. The Chiefs held Kansas City-killer Clinton Portis to 77 rushing yards in 21 carries. More important, Portis had a long run of just 13 yards.

There are still problems in KC’s secondary. Throwing mostly at Dexter McCleon and to Santana Moss, Brunell passed for 331 yards and three TDs. You’d think that Eric Warfield would return to KC’s lineup next week against the Dolphins. And Miami doesn’t have much of a passing attack anyway. There’s time to improve KC’s secondary, and it starts with continued strong play from Allen and the defensive line.

HolmeZz
10-17-2005, 01:28 AM
"Defensive end Carlos Hall got the credit for forcing the fumble, but Allen was there."

*cough* http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051016/capt.mocr10910162109.redskins_chiefs_mocr109.jpg *cough*

greg63
10-17-2005, 01:46 AM
One of Whitlocks few "good" articles. :D

Kerberos
10-17-2005, 04:44 AM
One of Whitlocks few "good" articles. :D

You know he actually makes sense and makes a damn good point when he isn't involved with spewing his self-serving BullSh!t with smack talk galore.

What a rollercoaster.

Dammit Fatlock :cuss:

:)

SCChief
10-17-2005, 04:46 AM
and the whole town would be wondering who or what hijacked Kansas City’s record-setting offense (one touchdown Sunday).

I thought the offense scored two TDs?

Pretty good article other than this.

|Zach|
10-17-2005, 05:55 AM
This place rocks.

Gary
10-17-2005, 05:56 AM
[url]“Jared Allen was very special,” Vermeil said. “He has such an unbelievable motor. You expect him to run out of gas, and he just keeps humming.”

Allen’s play and intensity seemed to spark his linemates. Tackles Lional Dalton and John Browning were more active. Dalton flushed Brunell, and Browning picked up the sack.

If they don't start to see that kind of "motor" from the rest of the D-line, DV & Gun need to start riding these guys into the ground in practice until they start to see that kind of "motor".

SCChief
10-17-2005, 06:16 AM
If they don't start to see that kind of "motor" from the rest of the D-line, DV & Gun need to start riding these guys into the ground in practice until they start to see that kind of "motor".

Exactly. The two most improved (thus far) players on our D seem to be Allen and Mitchell, both of whom got special negative attention this offseason. You make offensive players play by coddling them (to a certain degree). That has been a proven method under DV. But you make defensive players play by pissing them off. You have to make them want to go out and mangle people.

Extra Point
10-17-2005, 06:51 AM
"Defensive end Carlos Hall got the credit for forcing the fumble, but Allen was there."

*cough* http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20051016/capt.mocr10910162109.redskins_chiefs_mocr109.jpg *cough*

Nice to see the both DE's bookending the RB. That's the way it's supposed to be. Hope we can see more of the same further along in the season!

jcl-kcfan2
10-17-2005, 07:03 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12920785.htm

There are still problems in KC’s secondary. Throwing mostly at Dexter McCleon and to Santana Moss, Brunell passed for 331 yards and three TDs. You’d think that Eric Warfield would return to KC’s lineup next week against the Dolphins. And Miami doesn’t have much of a passing attack anyway. There’s time to improve KC’s secondary, and it starts with continued strong play from Allen and the defensive line.

Ahem...

morphius
10-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey, didn't you see Hicks motor out there? The guy is a leader damn it!

HarryParatestes
10-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Ahem...

Guess you caught those close-ups too of Dex after he got burnt? ( pick a play ).

His face said "WTF just happened?!? Did I get burned AGAIN?!?"

He sucks..and I think he's beginning to realize it....

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Hey, didn't you see Hicks motor out there? The guy is a leader damn it!

Hick's motor? What, you mean that broken-down 6 hp, 2-stroke....that gets left on the sideline everytime 98 is on the field? Is that the motor you mean?

:banghead:

wolfpack0735
10-17-2005, 07:52 AM
you would of thought that allen chasing brunell around all day he would have ran into hicks or hall on the other side.

Kyle401
10-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Hick's motor? What, you mean that broken-down 6 hp, 2-stroke....that gets left on the sideline everytime 98 is on the field? Is that the motor you mean?

:banghead:

:harumph: Check my sig. Hicks is a ROCK!! His ability to force double teams freed up Allen on the other side.

:p

RINGLEADER
10-17-2005, 09:28 AM
This place rocks.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

greg63
10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Exactly. The two most improved (thus far) players on our D seem to be Allen and Mitchell, both of whom got special negative attention this offseason. You make offensive players play by coddling them (to a certain degree). That has been a proven method under DV. But you make defensive players play by pissing them off. You have to make them want to go out and mangle people.

I think this is also true for the Offensive line.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 10:05 AM
:harumph: Check my sig. Hicks is a ROCK!! His ability to force double teams freed up Allen on the other side.

:p

Rock? You mean he should crawl under a rock.....?

I know I'm being a little tough on him; but a starting DE needs to be more disruptive, more consistently than he has been..... :shake:

I value loyalty, but DV's loyalty borders on psychopathic. :cuss:

|Zach|
10-17-2005, 10:08 AM
OMG! I CANT BELIEVE I AM ACTUALLY AGREEING WITH WHITLOCK THAT HUGE SACK OF SHIT DOES NOT NO ANYTHING! OMG OMG!

Calcountry
10-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Exactly. The two most improved (thus far) players on our D seem to be Allen and Mitchell, both of whom got special negative attention this offseason. You make offensive players play by coddling them (to a certain degree). That has been a proven method under DV. But you make defensive players play by pissing them off. You have to make them want to go out and mangle people.Absolutely.

Calcountry
10-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Guess you caught those close-ups too of Dex after he got burnt? ( pick a play ).

His face said "WTF just happened?!? Did I get burned AGAIN?!?"

He sucks..and I think he's beginning to realize it....

ROFLWho is this Washington kid? Didn't I see him stride for stride with Santana Moss on more than one occasion?

Kyle401
10-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Rock? You mean he should crawl under a rock.....?

I know I'm being a little tough on him; but a starting DE needs to be more disruptive, more consistently than he has been..... :shake:

I value loyalty, but DV's loyalty borders on psychopathic. :cuss:

Go ahead and pile on Hicks. He's got broad shoulders he can take it. He's used to taking on double teams from opposing offenses so this should be no problem. :)

Spicy McHaggis
10-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Who is this Washington kid? Didn't I see him stride for stride with Santana Moss on more than one occasion?

Actually it's been discovered that Eric Warfield drugged Dewayne before the game, tied him up, shoved him in a locker after stealing Washington's uniform to get on the field. I keep hoping Hodge will do the same to McCleon.

mcan
10-17-2005, 11:04 AM
I thought the KC offense scored two touchdowns Sunday... Huh... I wonder how we got 28 points then...

Spicy McHaggis
10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I thought the KC offense scored two touchdowns Sunday... Huh... I wonder how we got 28 points then...

yeah apparently that long one by Priest doesn't count.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 11:09 AM

Whitlock is wrong: offense scored a TD in both the third and fourth quarters: a rushing TD by Holmes, and a receiving TD.

mcan
10-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Whitlock is wrong: offense scored a TD in both the third and fourth quarters: a rushing TD by Holmes, and a receiving TD.

I think Whitlock forgot to watch the tape again... But this time, he also forgot to look at the stats sheet... Bonehead.

HolmeZz
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Whitlock doesn't check his articles for mistakes because he's always right the first time.

Not. ROFL

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I think Whitlock forgot to watch the tape again... But this time, he also forgot to look at the stats sheet... Bonehead.

That or he dropped a slab of ribs during the game, and was lickin' the sauce off the floor. ;)

wutamess
10-17-2005, 11:48 AM
It really is that simple. If Jared Allen hadn’t caused three fumbles and sacked Mark Brunell three times, the Chiefs would be a game below .500 today, nursing a three-game losing streak, and the whole town would be wondering who or what hijacked Kansas City’s record-setting offense (one touchdown Sunday).

Wasn't only one of those TD's by the offense not the product of a turnover?

Not the smartest of the bunch but I'd say that's what he meant.

greg63
10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
That or he dropped a slab of ribs during the game, and was lickin' the sauce off the floor. ;)

Whitlock doesn't check his articles for mistakes because he's always right the first time.

Not. ROFL

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

BigChiefFan
10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Allen played a Hell of a game, but he didn't do it alone. The D stepped up and are showing signs of improvement. We've got a ways to go, but I think they are getting better.