PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Struggles: Age or Opponent's Defensive Adjustments?

JohnnyV13
10-17-2005, 02:25 AM
The Chiefs offense is struggling. There simply isn't any question about it. The only real issue is: why?

Before the Redskins game, conventional wisdom assumed the offense simply missed Willie Roaf. But, now, Willie is back and the offense couldn't dominate. Heck, without the screen pass to Priest for a 60 yard TD the offense wouldn't have even been respectable.

Like last season, NFL defenses spent the offeseason finding a new way to defend the Chiefs. In 2004 the theme was: take away the screen pass. This year its: play the nickel.

In 2004, Al Saunders adjusted and the offense finally hit its stride in week 6. They slammed 8 rushing TDs down the Falcons' throat. My hope whispers that a similar turn around could be just around the corner. The offensive has been out of synch because of constant injuries to both tackles and learning to incorporate Larry Johnson into the running game. Maybe, just maybe, Al Saunders is just about to get it together.

My pessimism, however, screams that the Chiefs are getting old. Will Shields simply hasn't been himself, giving up sacks to D tackles in two consecutive weeks. Willie Roaf didn't bulldoze defenders on the team's signature stetch play and Tony G. hasn't been beating double teams like in the past.

Maybe lingering hamstring problems prevented Big Willie from getting his normal leverage while run blocking. Maybe Will's back troubles are limiting him more than he'd like to admit. Overcoming nagging injuries to perform on Sunday, however, is life for an NFL player.

I just pray that age hasn't made that weekly struggle too difficult for the Chiefs' offense to excel on a regular basis.

the Talking Can
10-17-2005, 04:50 AM
I'd say 40/60..age/D adjustments

but my main concern is the OL...they aren't working as a unit, and Shields is springing a leak on the right side which exposes our weak RT even more...fingers crossed they find a six-pack of youth somewhere along the way

SCChief
10-17-2005, 05:00 AM
I'd say 40/60..age/D adjustments

but my main concern is the OL...they aren't working as a unit, and Shields is springing a leak on the right side which exposes our weak RT even more...fingers crossed they find a six-pack of youth somewhere along the way

I have to agree, and it also makes me second guess Vermeil going soft on the O-Line during training camp. He said it was to save the older guys for the season, but Roaf got injured anyway.

Sully
10-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Late in the second half yesterday I looked away and missed the formation for play. But one thing I did notice was that Roaf was lined up on te right side. Did the line go unbalanced? Or did Roaf switch sides for a run to the right for one play? I don't recall seeing this out of this year's Chiefs, but I could be wrong. Anyone else notice it?

jspchief
10-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Keep in mind we faced a very good defense in this game.

That being said, the O-line is not what it once was. They don't blow open holes for our backs, and they don't give Green the time that he used to get. No one is scared of our WRs, and if we can't give Green time to find them, we will continue to see stacked boxes and blitzes.

DeepSouth
10-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I don't get to see the games. But based on what I've read, the holes aren't there for the running backs and Green does not have time to throw the ball down field. That leads me to believe the OL is not getting it done.

Remember, Waters never participated in many of the off season work outs. Even though he hasn't gone public, it was insinuated that he wanted his contract redone. Carl comes back with something to the affect that he wants to make sure last year was not a fluke for Waters. Could this have an affect? And, could the unit as a whole be upset that Waters did not get his new contract?

It's just hard to believe, with four out of five returning, that it could go down hill this fast.

Gaz
10-17-2005, 07:17 AM
The Chiefs Offense has disappeared before. Nothing new here.

However, it seems apparent to me that our OL is not what it used to be. This was Roaf’s first game back, so I do not expect instant cohesion from the line. Sure, Washington has a good Defense, but the OL did not perform like the “best OL in the NFL.”

Next week’s game should show us if it was rust or an aging OL past its prime.

xoxo~
Gaz
May be witnessing the beginning of the end.

DeepSouth
10-17-2005, 07:21 AM
The Chiefs Offense has disappeared before. Nothing new here.

However, it seems apparent to me that our OL is not what it used to be. This was Roaf’s first game back, so I do not expect instant cohesion from the line. Sure, Washington has a good Defense, but the OL did not perform like the “best OL in the NFL.”

Next week’s game should show us if it was rust or an aging OL past its prime.

xoxo~
Gaz
May be witnessing the beginning of the end.

Gaz, can you tell by watching the games, is it the OL as a whole. Or, is it one or two guys that aren't getting it done?

Gaz
10-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Washington was getting penetration all up and down the line. I do not think you can point at a single guy and say “here’s the problem.”

Still, I am not going to panic just yet.

xoxo~
Gaz
Giving the big boys time to re-acquaint themselves.

sedated
10-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Keep in mind we faced a very good defense in this game.

Since 2002, it doesn't matter who we faced, we beat up on everyone.
Not now. I think Shields' back problems have caught up to him, he looked slow and lost against the skins.

chagrin
10-17-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm sure this has been addressed all over the place, sorry to pound it. I didn't get to see any of the game, again. But since I like stats (yes I know, even dilfer won a ring):

Trent Green's stats this year have to trouble more than just myself:

90 of 153
1060 yds
4 TD/3 INT

however 58.8 % Completion rate
QB Rating is at around 87

His yearly's are around the same except for TD/INT

This shows our passing game has been the weak link, IMO, of the offense.

Dissecting it further, is it because of the O-Line, Trent's age or the fact that we have ZERO WR's that would be a #1 on any team in this league?

Captian Obvious here, good day

Gaz
10-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Seems to me our pass Offense is down because Green is getting pounded.

And our run Offense is also down. No holes for the RB.

Clichē or no, it all starts with the line. The OLine is not giving Green the protection he is used to. Perhaps that will improve with Roaf back on the line. However, play has dropped off all along the line, so that is quite worrisome.

xoxo~
Gaz
Waiting for “the best OL in the NFL” to re-assert itself.

keg in kc
10-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Offensive line.

Will Shields in particular has not played well, which exacerbates the problems at RT as well as Weigmann's size issue.

Cormac
10-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Assimilating the new tackles has, IMO, disrupted the cohesion of the interior line. Shields and Waters have been trying to compensate for the guys outside them, and have struggled. In the past, they just played the guy in front of them, and mowed them over. Now with Roaf back, he's probably not exactly 100%. As long as he doesn't reinjure himself, maybe he'll get his groove on in the next couple of weeks. The biggest difference between this years line, and other years, is the flux. Age is a big concern too, but all of the personnel shuffling has had a big effect too, IMO.

B_Ambuehl
10-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Willie Roaf didn't bulldoze defenders on the team's signature stetch play

This is false. There were several plays where Roaf got not one but 2 blocks. He was out there taking out cornerbacks on pitch plays. Like always he makes it look so easy even when he doesn't dominate a matchup at least he's got his body on his man and in those situations it's easy to say "take the man too the ground and out of the play" but you really dont' realize how hard just getting your body on a man and maybe sealing off the outside is until you see someone like Black in there who can't do either.

KCChiefsFan88
10-17-2005, 12:18 PM
I really think it is age, especially along that offensive line catching up with the Chiefs.

Shields is struggling in there, I don't know if it is his back, the fact he missed most of the offseason workouts b/c of the back or just the fact he's 34 years old, but he is getting beaten by the defender he is blocking often.

Also I don't think Tony Gonzalez is 100% from that foot injury because especially in yesterday's game it looked like he was having trouble seperating from defenders, and on that one play where the Chiefs did that throwback to Gonzo to the other side of the field, he had some open field to run but it looked like he lacked that burst to really get it going.

TRR
10-17-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't think age or changes in opposing D's have anything to do with it. I think the way the players were worked (or lack there of) in the summer, and the health of players are having a big role in stints of ineffectiveness.

Reasons for ineffectiveness
Parker playing for Morton is a change for the offense. In the end, I believe it will be a good thing, but Morton knew the offense...no doubt about it.

Black to RT, LT, and back to RT hasn't been a good thing. We haven't played 2 games in a row with the same starting O Line. For 3 games, we played without the best LT in the league.

Holmes/Johnson combo. This will turn out to be a good thing as well, but it takes some flow away from the offense. Green isn't 100% comfortable with LJ in the backfield. I can see it on the field, and I can see it in Green's interviews. It takes time.

Less of Dante Hall on offense. I know some of you think this is a good thing, but Hall is a weapon with the football in his hands. He hasn't been given enough opportunities on offense to break one. We have to get him the ball on offense, injuries be damned. In KC's 13-3 season, Hall had 40 catches for 400+ yards, and 16 carries for 70+ yards. Hall needs to get touches.

TEX
10-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Assimilating the new tackles has, IMO, disrupted the cohesion of the interior line. Shields and Waters have been trying to compensate for the guys outside them, and have struggled. In the past, they just played the guy in front of them, and mowed them over. Now with Roaf back, he's probably not exactly 100%. As long as he doesn't reinjure himself, maybe he'll get his groove on in the next couple of weeks. The biggest difference between this years line, and other years, is the flux. Age is a big concern too, but all of the personnel shuffling has had a big effect too, IMO.

Yep. More than any other reason that's it.

Also, IMO, Parker is in no way fit to be a # 2 WR in the NFL.

Calcountry
10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
I really think it is age, especially along that offensive line catching up with the Chiefs.

Shields is struggling in there, I don't know if it is his back, the fact he missed most of the offseason workouts b/c of the back or just the fact he's 34 years old, but he is getting beaten by the defender he is blocking often.

Also I don't think Tony Gonzalez is 100% from that foot injury because especially in yesterday's game it looked like he was having trouble seperating from defenders, and on that one play where the Chiefs did that throwback to Gonzo to the other side of the field, he had some open field to run but it looked like he lacked that burst to really get it going.I remember the play and agree. TG has always looked a little awkward, but expecially so on that play.