PDA

View Full Version : I think DV nearly blew it again.

donkhater
10-17-2005, 07:41 AM
When I think back to the DV era in KC in a few years, one of the things that will stick out in my mind is the extremely questionable abilies of this coaching staff to manage the clock in a game.

Two minute warning, Washington out of timeouts, 3rd and long, KC near midfield.

KC passes the ball. Incomplete.

I couldn't believe they did that. It wasn't as if the offense had been that stellar at passing the ball all day and KC's defense had given up a few yards. If they had run the ball, they could have milked the clock down to around 1:15, punted (would hopefully count on Colquitt not to punt it 30 yards like he did) and Washington would have to go 80+ yards in a minute with no TO's.

Instead they were given 40 extra seconds.

In the wake of the win, it doesn't seem like much to gripe about, but it clearly shows me that this staff still can't be trusted to make the right decision at the right time.

Going for it on forth down was extremely risky as well. If you ask me, Priest got the benefit of a generous spot. I can't believe some of the decisions this staff makes on game day.

Luckily the players (i.e. Sammy Knight) bailed them out.

BigRedChief
10-17-2005, 07:45 AM
You run a priest draw at that point and punt the ball with 1:30 lef ton the clock. A no brainer.

And its up to Trent to not throw that ball unless you can hit someone in the numbers or a short dump off or just take the frigging sack.

You have to keep the clock rolling.

Brock
10-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Well, at least they didn't call the-end-around-which-doth-never-fool-anybody.

donkhater
10-17-2005, 07:52 AM
You run a priest draw at that point and punt the ball with 1:30 lef ton the clock. A no brainer.

And its up to Trent to not throw that ball unless you can hit someone in the numbers or a short dump off or just take the frigging sack.

You have to keep the clock rolling.
There would have been less time on the clock than that. The play alone would have been 5 seconds long. Then the ref winds the 40 second play clock. Let the clock wind down to 1 second and call timeout. At minimum, 1:15 would be left on the clock BEFORE the punt. AFTER the punt, which, again, hopefully would be better than what Colquitt did, and there would have been only about 1:10 for Washington to go 80+ yards with no TO's for the tie.

I like that situation a hell of a lot better than passing for 1st down and giving up a turnover (fumble or INT) or incomplete pass which did happen.

DV should be bowing to Sammy Knight today. His crappy decision making is what people would be talking about had Knight not got a hand on that pass.

siberian khatru
10-17-2005, 07:54 AM
I have no problem with the 4th down call. It WAS a generous spot, but I like going for it there. If you can't make a foot in a clutch situation -- or worse, if you DON'T think you can make a foot -- you have no business winning games.

Re: the 3rd down pass. Yeah, I thought it was a dumb play at the time. Luckily they needed a TD to tie, not a FG. DV's clock mgmt has been awful ever since he got here.

dirk digler
10-17-2005, 07:55 AM
That decision to throw the ball was one of the worst decisions I have seen DV/AS make.

I about blew a gasket when they did that.

bsp4444
10-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I have to agree. I really don't think I'll miss DV when he leaves. He may have assembled a team of "character" individuals, but he has not developed a "team" (offense and defense) that is proportionate with the talent level.

donkhater
10-17-2005, 08:00 AM
At least they called the right play when they went for it on fourth down. Priest running left behind Waters, Roaf, Dunn and T-Rich SHOULD gain a foot on fourth and inches. I don't know if it did, but it should.

Before that play when it was obvious they were going for it, I was thinking that any other play other than that and DV should be tarred and feathered.

They went 3 more plays, lost yardage and punted, but it did take a little more time off the clock.

KChiefs1
10-17-2005, 08:25 AM
At least they called the right play when they went for it on fourth down. Priest running left behind Waters, Roaf, Dunn and T-Rich SHOULD gain a foot on fourth and inches. I don't know if it did, but it should.

Before that play when it was obvious they were going for it, I was thinking that any other play other than that and DV should be tarred and feathered.

They went 3 more plays, lost yardage and punted, but it did take a little more time off the clock.

yeah they got the first down, but then immediately threw 2 incompletions...I calculated that going for it on 4th down got them 30 seconds off the clock because of the 2 incomplete passes! Why they weren't trying to run out the clock is beyond me...the clock was their enemy too.

Lzen
10-17-2005, 09:15 AM
I suppose one could look at it as ballsy. Going for the win on the 3rd down play. If KC gets the first down, game over right then and there and it was a brilliant and gutsy call. And perhaps it was a vote of confidence for the defense as well. Who knows. Of course, I would've just ran a draw play.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 09:22 AM
But we didn't. That's a good thing.

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM

I agree.

Going for it was risky, but at least they didn't run a PA pass like they usually do in that situation.