PDA

View Full Version : Here's the offensive solution

B_Ambuehl
10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
What does the Chiefs final drive against the Broncos, their final drive against the Eagles, and their first drive against the Redskins all have in common?

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 01:00 PM
What does the Chiefs final drive against the Broncos, their final drive against the Eagles, and their first drive against the Redskins all have in common?

The other team was playing PREVENT "D"..... :banghead:

Warrior5
10-17-2005, 01:01 PM
No huddle?

TRR
10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
It's no huddle, and there's no reason KC's offense has to go to that. They need to focus on pounding the football early like they did against the Eagles. If they can do that, the O will be succesfull...if they go to the play-action too quickly, they will continue to struggle.

The empty backfield sets need to go. Just about everytime they go to an empty backfield set, Green gets hurried or sacked. I hate it when Saunders dials that up.

Death Nebula
10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
They went no huddle yesterday because the head sets were not working....

KCChiefsFan88
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM

The other team was in a prevent, and at least in the Denver game, Trent was calling the plays.

Sam
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking, no huddle too. I think they should use it on the first series, maybe the second too, of every game. But I like the idea from another thread on here of a ball control, TOP offense throughout the rest of the game. Take the crowd out of the game early on the road and let the defense thrive off of the crowd's early energy in the games at home.

jynni
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
The other team was in a prevent, and at least in the Denver game, Trent was calling the plays.
Maybe this is the key? Less of crazy Al?

NewChief
10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't know about the no huddle, but I definitely think that Trent should be doing a lot more audible play calling/changing. It seems silly not to have him doing it. All we hear about (and know) is that Trent's biggest strengths are his understanding of the scheme, his ability to read defenses, his smarts when it comes to the game of football. It seems silly to not utilize those things as he gets older and some of his other physical strengths come into question.

B_Ambuehl
10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Washington definitely wasn't in a prevent defense yesterday.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Washington definitely wasn't in a prevent defense yesterday.

I got to the stadium late....sounded like they were in a nickle, and "soft zone" according to what I heard on the radio.

They didn't say specifically though, that I recall....anyone? :hmmm:

NJ Chief Fan
10-17-2005, 01:44 PM
i always thaught we did well out of the no huddle

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 01:46 PM
It all boils down to playcalling.

Al sucks at it.

Trent doesn't.

Did you see how confused and milling around the Skins D was? That's the kind of edge we need.

TRR
10-17-2005, 02:01 PM
It all boils down to playcalling.

Al sucks at it.

Trent doesn't.

Did you see how confused and milling around the Skins D was? That's the kind of edge we need.

Yeah, you know Saunders has only led the #1 offense in the league now for how many years? But he sucks...

go bowe
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
al sucks so bad that the navy has to leave port...

al sucks so bad, he usually has to give a refund...

al sucks so bad that you can hardly see his eyeballs

al sucks so bad he has to hold his coke upside down to use a straw...

al just suks in general... :p :p :p

JohnnyV13
10-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I think the solution is more screen passes.

Teams are using the nickel against us because it helps pass defend vs. Tony G. AND our running game is mostly about attacking the edges. More mobile defenders to get outside and slip blocks from offensive linemen is more important than size against that type of running game.

We got away from our screen passes because of the way teams defended us in 2004. But, against a nickel D, when those guys drop into pass coverage, it helps set up blocks for the o line to crush smaller defenders. I think Al needs to use more screen passes in place of running plays. Look at Priest's receiving numbers against the Skins: 5 receptions for 100 yards. Even throwing out that 60 yard TD, they were successful last week. He hasn't had a receiving day like that since 2003.

I also would like to study the toss and stretch plays last week that Larry Johnson ran vs. the ones Priest ran. It seemed that the ones using Johnson were much more successful and that he had much better blocking. Is it because Larry was getting outside quicker than Priest, or was it because the Redskins simply assumed any running play to Holmes was going to the outside? Have we gone to using Johnson for inside running plays and Holmes for outside running plays, so that teams can pick up tendencies?

Maybe part of the solution is using more draw plays to Priest, or some of those naked misdirection plays to keep teams from flowing to the outside when Priest is in the game.

Extra Point
10-17-2005, 02:12 PM

A genuine sense of urgency!!!

Mile High Mania
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
I think the Chiefs need... more cowbell.

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah, you know Saunders has only led the #1 offense in the league now for how many years? But he sucks...

He does.

JohnnyV13
10-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Everyone gets on Al for his gimmicky plays. I do note, however, that Priest's 60 yard TD was one of those gimmicks: a fake stretch play, with a fake reverse, then a screen to Priest.

Oddly enough, no one is complaining about that trick play.

Bowser
10-17-2005, 02:17 PM
I think the Chiefs need... more cowbell.

That goes without saying

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Everyone gets on Al for his gimmicky plays. I do note, however, that Priest's 60 yard TD was one of those gimmicks: a fake stretch play, with a fake reverse, then a screen to Priest.

I don't really have a problem with his trick plays, although he does run them a little too often for my tastes.

My problem with Al is stuff like throwing fade passes to Boerigter and slants to Kennison.

We finally ran a fade to Boe for like the first time ever, to my knowledge. Al will probably shelve it for the rest of the season.

Where was the slant this week? Maybe we were running it and it was just covered, someone at Arrowhead would know better.

dsgreene285
10-17-2005, 02:21 PM

I agree.

The problem isn't that AS all of a sudden is a terrible play caller. I watched the O-line pretty close yesterday and they are just not the same O-line. Waters and Shields got beat a number of times yesterday.

Bowser
10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't really have a problem with his trick plays, although he does run them a little too often for my tastes.

My problem with Al is stuff like throwing fade passes to Boerigter and slants to Kennison.

We finally ran a fade to Boe for like the first time ever, to my knowledge. Al will probably shelve it for the rest of the season.

Where was the slant this week? Maybe we were running it and it was just covered, someone at Arrowhead would know better.

Agree with both of those options. Boerigter should be our red zone wide receiver, and Kennison should catch at least three slant-ins a game.

What I want to see more of in regards to our passing game are more down the seam passes. I know defenses dictate whether or not we throw that pass, but Gonzalez, Parker, and even Hall are perfect for that play. I remember Dante burning the highly ranked Buffalo D for a 60+ yard TD off a seam route a couple of years ago, and then that was the last we saw of that.

Tribal Warfare
10-17-2005, 02:27 PM
I almost fell out my chair when Trent was audibling. The effectiveness of this must of dented Saunders ego .Afte that great series r Al called the same predictable plays over and over.

Donger
10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Question: Is it correct that the official version of why Green was calling audibles was that the radio system was out?

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Question: Is it correct that the official version of why Green was calling audibles was that the radio system was out?

Yes. We need more no-huddle! It would be ideal on the road next week. Miami's secondary is their weakness too.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Yep; that's what Mitch and Lenny said during the broadcast anyway....

dirk digler
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
It's no huddle, and there's no reason KC's offense has to go to that. They need to focus on pounding the football early like they did against the Eagles. If they can do that, the O will be succesfull...if they go to the play-action too quickly, they will continue to struggle.

The empty backfield sets need to go. Just about everytime they go to an empty backfield set, Green gets hurried or sacked. I hate it when Saunders dials that up.

I like the no huddle but I hate that empty backfield shit. I agree AS needs to dump that ASAP.

Donger
10-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes. We need more no-huddle! It would be ideal on the road next week. Miami's secondary is their weakness too.

Then I'm confused. Can't they communicate plays through hand signals?

If so, then I don't see why not having radio comms automatically leads to Green calling the plays.

Donger
10-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Wait; does Trent calling audibles mean that he's calling the plays or just that he's relaying calls from AS?

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 02:40 PM

Mitch and Lenny said that was a BROKEN play....Holmes missed a block, and he and Green improvised the screen. Of course, I was in the pisser... :shrug:

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Mitch and Lenny said that was a BROKEN play....Holmes missed a block, and he and Green improvised the screen. Of course, I was in the pisser... :shrug:

That was the 20 yard dump pass earlier in the game, plus the roughing the passer penalty we got.

Priest tried to cut Marcus Washington and screwed it up. Marcus was about to hit Trent when he dumped it to Priest, who was just getting done getting up from the ground! A great play by Priest and great awareness by Trent.

NewChief
10-17-2005, 02:48 PM
That was the 20 yard dump pass earlier in the game, plus the roughing the passer penalty we got.

Priest tried to cut Marcus Washington and screwed it up. Marcus was about to hit Trent when he dumped it to Priest, who was just getting done getting up from the ground! A great play by Priest and great awareness by Trent.

Yeah. That play was awesome. The TD play definitely was planned, as evidenced by the way the blocking played out downfield.

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Yeah. That play was awesome. The TD play definitely was planned, as evidenced by the way the blocking played out downfield.

Gotcha....thanks for the clarification gc.

Donger
10-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Does no one know the answer to my question?

Mr. Kotter
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
I like the no huddle but I hate that empty backfield shit. I agree AS needs to dump that ASAP.

That empty backfield shit needs to go.....keep a RB there.....to block if nothing else.

An occaisional quick pitch to the weakside of that formation would keep the friggin' "D" honest too. I love that play......when it's set-up properly--it opens up so much, and makes the "D" do their job. :cuss: