PDA

View Full Version : NBA's new dress code, player wants stipend to pay for new clothes

KCChiefsMan
10-17-2005, 03:52 PM
For all the NBA players that thought they'd have to wear a suit everywhere they went this season, David Stern told The Denver Post that they will be "pleasantly surprised" about the upcoming dress code announcement.

"It's a lot less than all of you are talking about, a lot less," Stern told the paper in a phone interview. "Right now we have a number of teams that are jacket and tie. We are not going there. Never were. We're going to give teams the option to continue that.

"But we're just trying to raise the lowest level up to a place where we can all still feel comfortable. I don't think it will be a problem. The gloom and doom [speculations] have so softened up everybody that by the time we issue the dress code, which will be some time next week, everybody will be pleasantly surprised."

At the time the dress code was announced to be in the works, several players vehemently opposed the change.

"I dress to make myself comfortable," Iverson told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I really do have a problem with it. ... It's just not right. It's something I'll fight for."

Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby added that the players should receive a stipend to pay for the clothes.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Lord knows these players don't make enough money to afford a suit, or shirt & slacks.

Imagine that, professionals being forced to dress professionally

Brock
10-17-2005, 03:54 PM
They're not accountants. I don't know why anyone gives a shit what they wear.

Bowser
10-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Put this list in order of personal impotance

1) Booze
2) Bling
3) Women
4) Houses
5) Hippie Lettuce
6) Posse
7) Cars
8) Huge collection of shoes and sports memorabilia
9) Clothes
10) Vacations

BigRedChief
10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby added that the players should receive a stipend to pay for the clothes.Hey, They have famlies to feed.

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 04:07 PM
They're not accountants. I don't know why anyone gives a shit what they wear.

They're professionals. It sends a message to their customers.

kepp
10-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey...which one of you could feed your family AND buy clothes on a mere $5 million a year?! Oh...wait...

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 04:10 PM
I talked to Shawn Kemp. His thoughts...

"Dey better have free sex cruises, fo real."

Simplex3
10-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey, They have famlies to feed.
"Yeah, we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too."

Patrick Ewing ('94 NBA Strike)

Simplex3
10-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I talked to Shawn Kemp. His thoughts...

"Dey better have free sex cruises, fo real."
Kemp should have played for the Vikings.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 04:16 PM

I bet he's trying out for them right now.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 04:22 PM
They had a great editorial about this in the Denver paper. Apparently Allen Iverson came out and said he thought it would set a bad example for children for the NBA to require a suit. He said something like, "Is the teacher going to think a kid is bad because he doesn't wear a suit to school?" I can't find the link, but the columnist had some fun with Iverson's concern about suits setting a bad example.

Brock
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
They're professionals. It sends a message to their customers.

They're trained monkeys who can dunk. Their customers are paying for performance, not fashion tips.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
They're trained monkeys who can dunk. Their customers are paying for performance, not fashion tips.

ROFL Oh snap!

tk13
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey, stop that. Kemp is a family man. He has family here, family there, family everywhere!

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I bet he's trying out for them right now.

They don't need anymore 350-pound offensive linemen.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 04:55 PM

Your broadcasting career is over.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Your broadcasting career is over.

ROFL

That would kind of amusing to hear a broacaster say something like that I guess.

Thig Lyfe
10-17-2005, 04:58 PM
"I dress to make myself comfortable," Iverson told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I really do have a problem with it. ... It's just not right. It's something I'll fight for."

At least he has a cause.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 06:34 PM
ROFL

That would kind of amusing to hear a broacaster say something like that I guess.

Howard Cosell makes the monkey comment. (http://www.bookrags.com/history/popculture/cosell-howard-1918-1995-sjpc-01/)

Though he had a long record of support for civil rights and had offered prominent support to the protests of black runners Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Summer Olympics, Cosell drew the wrath of viewers when, while watching Washington Redskin's receiver Alvin Garrett carry the ball during one Monday Night Football broadcast, he said "Look at that little monkey run." Hounded by critics, Cosell eventually left the broadcast booth in 1984, claiming that pro football had become a "stagnant bore."

Donger
10-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Howard Cosell makes the monkey comment. (http://www.bookrags.com/history/popculture/cosell-howard-1918-1995-sjpc-01/)

Though he had a long record of support for civil rights and had offered prominent support to the protests of black runners Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Summer Olympics, Cosell drew the wrath of viewers when, while watching Washington Redskin's receiver Alvin Garrett carry the ball during one Monday Night Football broadcast, he said "Look at that little monkey run." Hounded by critics, Cosell eventually left the broadcast booth in 1984, claiming that pro football had become a "stagnant bore."

I remember watching the HBO special that went into the details of that incident. Cosell apparently referred to his grandkids as "little monkeys" and even once said the same about a great run by a non-black player during a football game.

Cntrygal
10-17-2005, 06:42 PM
OMG! The inhumanity of it all! A business suit! How completely unfair and discrimitory (sp?) of them! Is the league implying that some of the players dress like thugs? GEEESHH!! They are just expressing their individualism!

joesomebody
10-17-2005, 07:03 PM
High school teams typically have a dress code...

As to the league giving them a stipend... they don't pay for thier uniforms, the team does... so I'd say their uniforms are enough, they can afford a suit I'm quite sure.

chagrin
10-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Hey, they may make alot, but they also spend alot