PDA

View Full Version : SI Extra KC/Miami History

joesomebody
10-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Strange and wonderful things happen when the Chiefs and Dolphins (who square off next Sunday in Miami) meet on a football field. The last time these two AFC graybeards faced each other--Sept. 29, 2002--they piled up 849 yards of offense in a 48-30 Kansas City win over then-unbeaten Miami. Chiefs quarterback Trent Green threw five TD passes, including three to tight end Tony Gonzalez. The most famous game in the series, however, remains Miami's double-overtime win at K.C.'s Municipal Stadium on Christmas Day, 1971, in the semifinals of the AFC playoffs. Epic was an understatement: The Dolphins won the longest game (82 minutes, 40 seconds) in pro football history as Garo Yepremian kicked a 37-yard field goal in the second OT. The 27-24 win was Miami's first postseason victory in franchise history. "Somehow it would--must, surely, on Christmas Day--come to this," wrote John Underwood in SI's Jan. 3, 1972, issue. "That the longest game in the history of professional football would be decided by the smallest player on the field. That he would not be American-born at all, but a Cypriot, with an accent."
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/email/siextra/2005/10/17/4.jpg

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 06:30 PM
My life would be so different if only we had won that Christmas Day game.

Donger
10-17-2005, 06:33 PM

Did your parents bet you or something?

Skip Towne
10-17-2005, 06:34 PM
You'd still have that black and white TV you threw the lamp through?

Lurch
10-17-2005, 06:36 PM
You'd still have that black and white TV you threw the lamp through?

Lamp hell. I chucked the puppy off the balcony. I'm not kidding.

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 06:41 PM
On December 24, 1971, I was a smiling, happy-go-lucky eight-year-old. By December 26th, I was an embittered, angry, sullen youth who realized that dreams don't come true, and that rich east-coasters with yachts will always win over solid, hard-working midwesterners. I lost my self-esteem, drifted through the next several years, and lost the best years of my life to a combination of cheap root beer, fast women, and slow-moving freight trains. It wasn't until 1989 that I was lying on Skid Row in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, sleeping off an all-night barbecue and root beer binge, that I woke up and saw the newspaper headline on my erstwhile blanket. "Derrick Thomas goes to Chiefs." At that moment, as low as I was, I resolved to turn around the mess that my life had become. I went back to school, learned a trade, and eventually even married and bought a home. But on those dark nights after Chiefs losses, my mind still occasionally wanders back to those nights aboard a train bound for nowhere, playing my harmonica and trading cigarettes for cans of beans...

Lurch
10-17-2005, 06:43 PM
On December 24, 1971, I was a smiling, happy-go-lucky eight-year-old. By December 26th, I was an embittered, angry, sullen youth who realized that dreams don't come true, and that rich east-coasters with yachts will always win over solid, hard-working midwesterners. I lost my self-esteem, drifted through the next several years, and lost the best years of my life to a combination of cheap root beer, fast women, and slow-moving freight trains. It wasn't until 1989 that I was lying on Skid Row in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, sleeping off an all-night barbecue and root beer binge, that I woke up and saw the newspaper headline on my erstwhile blanket. "Derrick Thomas goes to Chiefs." At that moment, as low as I was, I resolved to turn around the mess that my life had become. I went back to school, learned a trade, and eventually even married and bought a home. But on those dark nights after Chiefs losses, my mind still occasionally wanders back to those nights aboard a train bound for nowhere, playing my harmonica and trading cigarettes for cans of beans...

Man. You must do something really boring for a living. Research, stats, or politics?

Rain Man
10-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Man. You must do something really boring for a living. Research, stats, or politics?

I have the most exciting job in the world, at least since the Army shut down Chemical Ali.

Lurch
10-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I have the most exciting job in the world, at least since the Army shut down Chemical Ali.

Pamela Anderson's gynecologist? I'll be damned.