PDA

View Full Version : For the Gunther haters...

shaneo69
10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
If you don't agree that average yards per rush is the 2nd most important defensive stat behind points allowed, then don't bother reading any further.

But if you're looking for some tangible evidence of defensive improvement under Gunther, here's something to point at.

In 2000, the final season of the stooges, the defense gave up an average of 4.1 yards per rush. Under dumbass Knobinson, it got progressively worse:

2001---4.4
2002---4.8
2003---5.2

Last year, after Gunther returned, he stated that his goal was to stop the run, because it "tore the opponent's heart out". The average yards per rush only decreased to 4.6 in 2004, which is still nothing to brag about, but at least it reversed the trend.

And this season, after 5 games, the average yards per rush is 3.9. Which is better than New England, Denver, and Indy.

Now which genious here is going to try to argue that opponents don't run against us because they know they can pass on us?

Frankie
10-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Good info. Thanks Shane :thumb:

milkman
10-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Why would teams run against us, when they can pass all day long against us?

Hey, someone had to do it! :p

Douche Baggins
10-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't know WTF is up with the run stats, but 7 teams are allowing 3.9 yards a carry. Some kind of sine wave thing going on here.

shaneo69
10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't know WTF is up with the run stats, but 7 teams are allowing 3.9 yards a carry. Some kind of sine wave thing going on here.

I think it's called a bell curve.

shaneo69
10-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Why would teams run against us, when they can pass all day long against us?

Hey, someone had to do it! :p

:cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

:)

htismaqe
10-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Good info Shane.

And a good sign.

Stopping the run is paramount.

OldTownChief
10-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Other than the complete meltdown with Philly, this D is impressing the hell out of me. I haven't kept up much on stats yet but the feel of a good D is just there. The difference just in quickness alone is obvious Last year at this time I think we were 1-4. Like you said the most important stat is points allowed and for 3 games out of 5 this D has held em down. 3-2 baby. Warfield's coming back.

jspchief
10-17-2005, 08:47 PM
We've faced the 8th lowest attempts per game of anyone in the league.

Now the question is, chicken or egg? Are we seeing less attempts because teams can't run and give up, or because teams don't have to. How much of it has to do with jumping out to early leads in certain games, forcing teams to abandon the run?

IMO, our run defense is clearly better. I don't need stats to see that. It's clear.

But I do question the value of that, if our pass D is as bad as it is.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
I do blame Gunther for not playing Warfield. I can somewhat understand him not starting, but to not play him at all is borderline insane.

Douche Baggins
10-17-2005, 08:49 PM
When our offense gets its ass in gear, the D will look even better.

siberian khatru
10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Here's some context:

In 2004, teams attempted 24.8 rushes per game against us (@ 4.6 ypa).

In 2005, teams have attempted 24.6 rushes per game against us (@ 3.9 ypa).

So they're testing our rush D at virtually the same frequency, but getting much worse results (although it's early, and one bad rushing game could easily inflate that ypa stat).

Meanwhile ...

In 2004, teams attempted 32.6 passes per game (@ 8.53 ypa).

In 2005, teams attempted 37.2 passes per game (@ 7.89 ypa).

Coach
10-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Here's some context:

In 2004, teams attempted 24.8 rushes per game against us (@ 4.6 ypa).

In 2005, teams have attempted 24.6 rushes per game against us (@ 3.9 ypa).

So they're testing our rush D at virtually the same frequency, but getting much worse results (although it's early, and one bad rushing game could easily inflate that ypa stat).

Meanwhile ...

In 2004, teams attempted 32.6 passes per game (@ 8.53 ypa).

In 2005, teams attempted 37.2 passes per game (@ 7.89 ypa).

Yes, the pass attempts will go up every year because of the illegal contact rules that the NFL imposed as well. It's no suprise to me that the NFL is trying to make it some type of a arena football setting.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Yes, the pass attempts will go up every year because of the illegal contact rules that the NFL imposed as well. It's no suprise to me that the NFL is trying to make it some type of a arena football setting.

Yea, i hate the new rules. Defenders might as well play with their hands tied behind their backs. That Pass Interference call against Surtain yesterday was total BullSh#t

Skip Towne
10-17-2005, 09:03 PM
The D will be better when we get Warfield back from his 5 game suspension.

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 08:47 AM
We've faced the 8th lowest attempts per game of anyone in the league.

Now the question is, chicken or egg? Are we seeing less attempts because teams can't run and give up, or because teams don't have to. How much of it has to do with jumping out to early leads in certain games, forcing teams to abandon the run?

IMO, our run defense is clearly better. I don't need stats to see that. It's clear.

But I do question the value of that, if our pass D is as bad as it is.

We're only 5 games into the season and two of those games were Philly and Oakland who barely average 25 rushes per game TOGETHER.

Small sample size has more to do with our rush attempts per game than anything else.

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I just want to thank Shane for making my day. I'm starting to get confidence back in this team.

I just hope to God they activate Warfield this weekend.

bkkcoh
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Yeah, when are we going to take advantage of the rules.... Everyone else is... :banghead:

B_Ambuehl
10-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Be careful about putting too much stock in statistics like that. How would you guys feel if our defense ranked #1 in the NFL on first down? That's a pleasant thought isn't it?

Think again. The 2004 defense led the NFL in the oppositions yards to go on 2nd down.

siberian khatru
10-18-2005, 09:27 AM

I don't know if passes attempted will go up "every year." Will teams eventually attempt 60 passes a game? There must be some equilibrium.

The league average in pass attempts per game last year was 31.9. This year it is 32.3, a marginal 1.25% increase considering it's only been 6 weeks and several teams have only played 5 games. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what it is at the end of the season, and seeing if it is statistically significant.

It's interesting that the Chiefs are allowing significantly more pass attempts this year over what we did last year and what the league average is this year. But again, it's only five games and the pass-happy Eagles offense we faced I'm sure has a lot to do with that stat.

ck_IN
10-18-2005, 09:31 AM
I do agree that stopping the run is important but I don't believe its more important then passing yards allowed.

Teams aren't bothering to run much against us because we field the 30th ranked pass defense.

To date I'd dispute that the defense has improved much if at all.

Frankie
10-18-2005, 09:41 AM
I do agree that stopping the run is important but I don't believe its more important then passing yards allowed.

Teams aren't bothering to run much against us because we field the 30th ranked pass defense.

Actually (and unfortunately) the only thing that hasn't improved is the DL play. No consistant pressure on the QB and the back 7 can't do much against the pass.

Extra Point
10-18-2005, 09:59 AM
This is all immaterial when your opponent finds and pulls on the weak links in the chain.

3.9 ypc is great if your opposing QB throws a lot of incomplete passes. It's not great if you drop contain, don't seal the inside gaps, or loosely cover receivers.

I'm not bashing Gun. I think he's after the same thing we all are: consistency. His job is to make use of what tools he has to tear down the other guy's house. We'll just be finding Gun changing tools quite a bit.

jidar
10-18-2005, 10:09 AM

That post is pretty bad.

Firstly, pretty much everyone agrees that rushing stats are a better indicator of a defenses effectiveness than passing stats. Not that passing starts aren't important because it's obvious that 2ypc isn't going to do squat if teams are throwing for 400 yards every week, but generally speaking rushing stats are the best indicator of improvement.

Second, how often teams run against us is completely beside the point. The point is that when they DO run they don't get results from their running game. We're not talking about total yards here, we're talking about yards per carry, and so how often they run against us has little bearing on this subject. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb a little bit here and say that part of the reason teams are passing against us so much is because our run D has really started to become stingy. If both our pass and our run was bad then opponents wouldn't favor the pass so much.

Third, if you haven't seen the improvements in the defense you either aren't a good judge of it or you're not paying attention. Given the shakiness of your first two points I'd say it was the former rather than the later.

Mr. Laz
10-18-2005, 10:12 AM
I just hope to God they activate Warfield this weekend.
why?? ... when the only thing that matters is stopping the run.

Andoverer
10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
When our offense gets its ass in gear, the D will look even better.

Funny how that works :p

DaWolf
10-18-2005, 10:20 AM
The thing with Gun, and my perception may be wrong, but I've never sensed that his defense was a true "shut down" defense. The philosophy has been more about forcing the other team to make mistakes and taking advantage of them. Under Gun and Marty, we used to be at the tops every year in terms of turnovers. Good opponents would drive on us, they'd kill us with the screen passes in the flat and the misdirection and those sort of things which we always overpersued on due to the aggressive nature of the D, but we made up for that because we had DT and Neil putting pressure up front and a ball hawking secondary. The reson Gun's first objective is to stop the run is to make the other team one dimensional and force them to pass, which is supposed to put us in position to get pressure on the QB and force INT's and get sacks and third and longs. It's a great theory but with our weaknesses up front in terms of getting a consistent pass rush or our weak links in the secondary, it just hasn't come together. I was encouraged by some things in the Washington game and while I am not a big Warfield fan, my hope is that he will turn out to be a big improvement over Dexter McCushion and the gap will close. I like Gun's passion about the Chiefs and KC. I don't think he's a genius and I don't agree with everything he does. He's got no excuses anymore but I'm still optimistic...

jidar
10-18-2005, 10:22 AM
McCushion, that's the best McCleon name yet.

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
why?? ... when the only thing that matters is stopping the run.

Principle.

It's further evidence that this coaching staff may care more about being right than about winning...

ck_IN
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
<i>Firstly, pretty much everyone agrees that rushing stats are a better indicator of a defenses effectiveness than passing stats. Not that passing starts aren't important because it's obvious that 2ypc isn't going to do squat if teams are throwing for 400 yards every week</i>

I'd say the only thing shaky are your logic skills. You made my point for me with your 2nd paragraph.

How can rushing stats be a gold standard if your pass defense is so weak that teams aren't bothering to run.

As for how obvious the improvement on our defense is, the last time I checked we still had a lower 20 ranked defense. Just like we've always had during the DV era.

But thank you for playing. :rolleyes:

Brock
10-18-2005, 10:26 AM
The thing with Gun, and my perception may be wrong, but I've never sensed that his defense was a true "shut down" defense. The philosophy has been more about forcing the other team to make mistakes and taking advantage of them. Under Gun and Marty, we used to be at the tops every year in terms of turnovers. Good opponents would drive on us, they'd kill us with the screen passes in the flat and the misdirection and those sort of things which we always overpersued on due to the aggressive nature of the D, but we made up for that because we had DT and Neil putting pressure up front and a ball hawking secondary.

The biggest difference I've noticed between Gun's glory years, if you can call them that, and now, is the red zone defense. Back then, as the field got shorter, the defense tightened up. They still gave up big plays, but they got noticeable stingier when they had less ground to cover. I've been looking for that this season, and I think that when we start seeing that, we will be able to say the defense is markedly improved. Or at least that the players are buying into Gun's system.

Wallcrawler
10-18-2005, 10:28 AM
The defense is way better than it was.

With the struggles of the offense thusfar this season, and the fact the the Chiefs have still won 3/5 games, it proves that the defense is better.

In years past, when the offense couldnt put up more than one or two touchdowns, the game was over and the Chiefs had lost.

The Chiefs defense destroyed the Jets offense in the opener.

The Oakland game, and the Washington game were both big wins contributed greatly to by the defense. The offense was able to control the clock in Oakland, but they still had a chance to win it at the end and the D held.

In the Washington game, they won the game for us. Taking the ball away 3 times and scoring with one of them while the offense still ran in place all day.

The only really bad showing this defense has had was against the Denver Broncos. They repeatedly fell for the misdirection, cutback, and bootleg plays by being overaggressive.

The Eagles game was lost by the offensive coordinator, and everyone knows that. You cant put the defense on the field all day long, defending short fields against the NFC Champions while you decide to stupidly alter your gameplan and go away from what was working, and that the Eagles couldnt stop.

Overall, the defense is much better. As for the passing, yeah they pass better than they run, mostly due to lack of pass rush and Eric Warfield still riding the pine for some damn reason.

The rush defense IS improved, because the Chiefs have had numerous stops inside their own redzone this year, and stopped teams from scoring because they forced them into passing the ball.

The defense in years past would have given up easy walk-in scores on the ground.

jidar
10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I'd say the only thing shaky are your logic skills. You made my point for me with your 2nd paragraph.

How can rushing stats be a gold standard if your pass defense is so weak that teams aren't bothering to run.

As for how obvious the improvement on our defense is, the last time I checked we still had a lower 20 ranked defense. Just like we've always had during the DV era.

But thank you for playing. :rolleyes:

The entire point of the thread starter was to point out that the Rushing Defense has improved. It clearly has. The YPC shows this, and that's independant of the pass defense which you fallaciously brought up. Again you can see the improvement in the defense due to the fact that when they run we stop them. Last year every other run was a first down, and every 5th run was 15 yards. That isn't happening this year, and that is obvious improvement.

Is this where I put an emoticon to look cool?

Andoverer
10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
The defense is way better than it was.

With the struggles of the offense thusfar this season, and the fact the the Chiefs have still won 3/5 games, it proves that the defense is better.

In years past, when the offense couldnt put up more than one or two touchdowns, the game was over and the Chiefs had lost.

The Chiefs defense destroyed the Jets offense in the opener.

The Oakland game, and the Washington game were both big wins contributed greatly to by the defense. The offense was able to control the clock in Oakland, but they still had a chance to win it at the end and the D held.

In the Washington game, they won the game for us. Taking the ball away 3 times and scoring with one of them while the offense still ran in place all day.

The only really bad showing this defense has had was against the Denver Broncos. They repeatedly fell for the misdirection, cutback, and bootleg plays by being overaggressive.

The Eagles game was lost by the offensive coordinator, and everyone knows that. You cant put the defense on the field all day long, defending short fields against the NFC Champions while you decide to stupidly alter your gameplan and go away from what was working, and that the Eagles couldnt stop.

Overall, the defense is much better. As for the passing, yeah they pass better than they run, mostly due to lack of pass rush and Eric Warfield still riding the pine for some damn reason.

The rush defense IS improved, because the Chiefs have had numerous stops inside their own redzone this year, and stopped teams from scoring because they forced them into passing the ball.

The defense in years past would have given up easy walk-in scores on the ground.

Good post. I have to agree the defense gives me a little less "fear factor" than the last few years have. I honestly didn't have the feeling that Washington would be able to come back and score on us in the closing minutes. I sure wouldn't have been that confident last year or especially in a Grob year.

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 10:52 AM
The biggest difference I've noticed between Gun's glory years, if you can call them that, and now, is the red zone defense. Back then, as the field got shorter, the defense tightened up. They still gave up big plays, but they got noticeable stingier when they had less ground to cover. I've been looking for that this season, and I think that when we start seeing that, we will be able to say the defense is markedly improved.

Actually, prior to the Washington game we were like sixth in the entire league in Red Zone TD percentage. We'd allowed something like 7 TDs in 16 attempts.

jidar
10-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Actually, prior to the Washington game we were like sixth in the entire league in Red Zone TD percentage. We'd allowed something like 7 TDs in 16 attempts.

It's one of the benefits of the "defend the run" philosophy. In the red zone where it counts, it's harder to pass on the shorter field and the run becomes more important. This defense has had a couple of goal line stops this year thanks in no small part to stopping the run.

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
It's one of the benefits of the "defend the run" philosophy. In the red zone where it counts, it's harder to pass on the shorter field and the run becomes more important. This defense has had a couple of goal line stops this year thanks in no small part to stopping the run.

The more I think about Shane's original post, the more enthused I get.

Another side effect of the "defend the run" philosophy is that you make a team one dimensional, it makes them use their opportunities to pass.

Of course, there's always the game like Philly where the opposing offense executes and we don't and they shred us. But more often than not, teams that pass that much end up like Washington or the Jets, getting sacked and/or turning the ball over...

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 11:17 AM
FYI, the first Jared Allen sack/fumble was at the 7. So it's possible our red zone defense ranking went UP this week.

Douche Baggins
10-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Jared's performance against a PRO BOWLER this last week makes me wonder what he's going to do against your less than stellar LT's of the league.

This week he matches up with Damion McIntosh. That's the same Damion McIntosh who gave up three sacks to VONNIE HOLLIDAY!

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Jared's performance against a PRO BOWLER this last week makes me wonder what he's going to do against your less than stellar LT's of the league.

This week he matches up with Damion McIntosh. That's the same Damion McIntosh who gave up three sacks to VONNIE HOLLIDAY!

Jared is a motor guy and I think he feeds off of momentum and the crowd. He's made 4 of his 14 career sacks on the road.

shaneo69
10-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Another side effect of the "defend the run" philosophy is that you make a team one dimensional, it makes them use their opportunities to pass.

Of course, there's always the game like Philly where the opposing offense executes and we don't and they shred us. But more often than not, teams that pass that much end up like Washington or the Jets, getting sacked and/or turning the ball over...

I think that was the whole idea behind the "stop the run and tear the opponent's heart out" mantra. Gunther always seemed to be about sacks and turnovers, and if you can force the other team to pass, then you're halfway there.

Since we are only 5 games in, I'm skeptical as to whether we can keep playing this good against the run. If they can somehow keep the yards per rush under 4.0 for the rest of the year, then I think we'll have a decent defense.

The main thing I take from this is that Gunther actually has a plan, and there is some evidence that it's starting to work. The big test will come when we have to go up against Tomlinson in a couple of weeks.

htismaqe
10-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I think that was the whole idea behind the "stop the run and tear the opponent's heart out" mantra. Gunther always seemed to be about sacks and turnovers, and if you can force the other team to pass, then you're halfway there.

Since we are only 5 games in, I'm skeptical as to whether we can keep playing this good against the run. If they can somehow keep the yards per rush under 4.0 for the rest of the year, then I think we'll have a decent defense.

The main thing I take from this is that Gunther actually has a plan, and there is some evidence that it's starting to work. The big test will come when we have to go up against Tomlinson in a couple of weeks.

Great point.

My confidence in this team is just so shaken...stuff like not activating Eric Warfield makes me wonder if his plan is to win games or to prove he's right...

tiptap
10-18-2005, 11:54 AM
In the NFL, the running game is only important in setting up your passing game. The NE patriots, before Dillon, were a successful team because of a good passing game on offense (and a well coached defense). The NE team would make sure they had run attempts, they didn't abandoned the run like Philly, but they made their yardage and 1st downs in the air. With Dillon last year they actually had production in the running game as well. But stopping the run only matters to teams that try to control the time in advancing the ball (Denver, TB, etc). In the real winners in the NFL like the Colts, NE and even KC on the offensive side, the passing game is paramount. It was against a passing team and a good passing defense, the Eagles that we had troubles (note the KC passing game is in the tank, it wasn't even the factor in the Jets win). Or against a team that ran and made good on passing opportunities like Denver. This last game is the first game where I saw the passing defense of KC show some activity. But I don't know if we will continue to show improvement or whether Washington just made the mistakes.
I do feel it is time to put Warfield in and see if we have better results. Miami isn't that strong a passing team so it would be like a PS game to warm him up with before SD.

DaWolf
10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
IMO the big test was in Denver, and we failed that big time. We better hope we can at least contain Tomlinson and meanwhile put some points on the board against SD and make Marty forget about LT like he did against the Cowboys and Denver...

siberian khatru
10-18-2005, 12:13 PM
IMO the big test was in Denver, and we failed that big time. We better hope we can at least contain Tomlinson and meanwhile put some points on the board against SD and make Marty forget about LT like he did against the Cowboys and Denver...

We've done surprisingly well vs. LT, held him pretty much in check in three of the last five meetings.

Wallcrawler
10-18-2005, 03:36 PM
After his performance last week, Jared Allen is going to be contending with double teams all day. But, on one of his sacks, the double team didnt matter.

Hopefully the extra attention that Jared Allen garners will free up the other guys on the D line to make some plays.

The main thing that I see with this defense is that they have got to learn when to take it down a notch and not be so over aggressive, to the point where the entire defense moves to one side of the field, leaving the other wide open for the bootlegs, cutbacks, misdirection stuff.

Clint in Wichita
10-18-2005, 03:52 PM
If I was an OC facing the Chiefs, I would run the bootleg play on virtually every snap, like a fuggin video game. It would be most lopsided loss for the Chiefs in team history.

CoMoChief
10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Our pass defense HAS to get better, and I think a 75% ready Warfield is alot better than a 100% healthy McPasson. People are saying things like teams are focusing more on the passing game because we take the run away. OK that may be true, but teams do know that theyre facing the 30th worst passing defense, and I can guarantee that WR's eyes open up really big when they see a 5-10, 31 year old, horrid cover corner lining up on the other side of the line. WARFIELD needs to play, period. I must say that I am not comfortable at all when I see McCleon literally lining up 10 yrds off of a WR. That has quick slant, gain of a first down written all over it.

We need to draft a DT next season with our first round choice unless there is a badass OT still sitting there at our pick. Carlos Hall needs to start in place of Eric Hicks at LE. I dont think I have seen anything good out of Hicks except for the batted down ball against OAK that ma have won us the game. To have that kinda speed around the outside edges will in fact allow our big fellas up the middle get to the QB. I never thought Id say this, but I really miss Ryan Sims. He could really help us right now and I believe that we could be 4-1 had he been here.

Frankie
10-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Our pass defense HAS to get better, and I think a 75% ready Warfield is alot better than a 100% healthy McPasson.
I can guarantee that WR's eyes open up really big when they see a 5-10, 31 year old, horrid cover corner lining up on the other side of the line. WARFIELD needs to play, period. I must say that I am not comfortable at all when I see McCleon literally lining up 10 yrds off of a WR. That has quick slant, gain of a first down written all over it.
I never thought Id say this, but I really miss Ryan Sims. He could really help us right now and I believe that we could be 4-1 had he been here.
I wonder what our record would have been had we signed Ty Law.:hmmm: Does anyone know how he's playing for the Jets?

milkman
10-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Our pass defense HAS to get better, and I think a 75% ready Warfield is alot better than a 100% healthy McPasson. People are saying things like teams are focusing more on the passing game because we take the run away. OK that may be true, but teams do know that theyre facing the 30th worst passing defense, and I can guarantee that WR's eyes open up really big when they see a 5-10, 31 year old, horrid cover corner lining up on the other side of the line. WARFIELD needs to play, period. I must say that I am not comfortable at all when I see McCleon literally lining up 10 yrds off of a WR. That has quick slant, gain of a first down written all over it.

We need to draft a DT next season with our first round choice unless there is a badass OT still sitting there at our pick. Carlos Hall needs to start in place of Eric Hicks at LE. I dont think I have seen anything good out of Hicks except for the batted down ball against OAK that ma have won us the game. To have that kinda speed around the outside edges will in fact allow our big fellas up the middle get to the QB. I never thought Id say this, but I really miss Ryan Sims. He could really help us right now and I believe that we could be 4-1 had he been here.

I am as critical of Eric Sucks as anyone, but at the same time, I have to ask, what has Carlos Hall done?

I haven't seen anything from Hall since the one series in preseason.

kregger
10-19-2005, 09:31 AM
IMO, the real reason the YPC has dropped is the better execution of tackling. If you watch Sammy Knight and K Mitchell they slide down the ball carrier and bind the legs. Amazing how a return to fundamentals improves a defense.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
IMO, the real reason the YPC has dropped is the better execution of tackling. If you watch Sammy Knight and K Mitchell they slide down the ball carrier and bind the legs. Amazing how a return to fundamentals improves a defense.

Knight is a good tackler and so is Surtain.

Mitchell has improved greatly, and I think Allen is a good tackler too.

kregger
10-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Knight is a good tackler and so is Surtain.

Mitchell has improved greatly, and I think Allen is a good tackler too.

Agreed. I didn't mean to leave out any others. I singled out who I thought were the 2 most responsible for tackling RBs. The strong safety and MLB.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Agreed. I didn't mean to leave out any others. I singled out who I thought were the 2 most responsible for tackling RBs. The strong safety and MLB.

I really like where Mitchell has gotten to...

Woodrow Call
10-19-2005, 10:20 AM

I agree Mitchell has turned into a good MLB and seems to keep getting better and better. If Gunther has done nothing else he has turned Mitchell into a solid MLB.

milkman
10-19-2005, 10:22 AM

I agree.
Let's hope he continues his progress.

ct
10-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Stopping the run is Phase 1 of Gunther's philosophy.
Phase 2 - disrupt the QB - limited success so far. Good vs. Jets and Skins, bad vs. Oak, Den, Philly.
Phase 3 - turnovers in the passing game(inc. QB fumbles) - limited success so far. Good vs. Jets and Skins, bad vs. Oak, Den, Philly.

A work in progress I'd say.

Redcoats58
10-19-2005, 12:18 PM
In the NFL, the running game is only important in setting up your passing game.
This is not entirely true. The running game is important for controlling T.O.P. If our offense could get back to what it was with the way this defense has played we could go deep into the playoffs.