PDA

View Full Version : This just in: Rick Dean's a buzzkill

Count Zarth
10-18-2005, 01:04 AM
http://cjonline.com/stories/101805/chi_deancol.shtml

Chiefs probably won't live up to promising start

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- It almost seems like heresy to suggest that the Chiefs' dominating 27-7 season-opening win over the Jets six weeks ago might not have been the perfect way to get things started.

You know the adage about when something seems too good to be true, it usually is? It applies here when assessing where Kansas City has been, and where it is going, after that too-perfect opening at Arrowhead.

It really was too good to be true, you know. The back-to-back 35-yard runs by Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson in the first-series scoring drive. The 95-yard march for a second-series score when Trent Green hit six straight passes. The ability to survive -- indeed, to thrive -- without injured tackle Willie Roaf. The three fumble-forcing sacks and the near defensive shutout.

The rout set the bar at a standard any NFL team would be hard-pressed to match. This league, remember, was built around the concept of parity, as evidenced by today's standings that show 14 of 32 teams at or within one game of .500.

But the blowout of the Jets, a perennial playoff contender, built up hopes around here that failed to stand up not only to time but also to the defenses of Denver, Philadelphia and Washington.

The Chiefs, we know now in the wake of Sunday's 28-21 Arrowhead squeaker over Washington, will have few breathers during the 2005 season. Washington, a 6-10 team last year, was supposed to be one. Instead, as Dick Vermeil told his tired team afterward, "You can lose days off your life with games like this one."

Talk about screwy victories. Sunday was a day when Kansas City was beaten soundly in total offense (398 yards to 274), passing yards (297-178), first downs (26-18) and time of possession (by nearly five minutes).

Their 35-year-old quarterback had more rushing yards than their four-time Pro Bowl running back (25-18 on nine fewer carries), their leading receiver was shut out and their Pro Bowl tight end was limited to just two catches for less than 15 yards for a second straight week. For all we know, Tony Gonzalez may no longer have the legs for the post-touchdown goal-post slams we've yet to see this year.

This is not to denigrate Kansas City's to-the-wire victory Sunday. Good teams find a way to win games in which they're dominated statistically. Jared Allen's three-fumbles-forced game and Sammy Knight's defensive touchdown provided the Chiefs with such a way Sunday.

But good teams also don't blow 24-6 leads at home by giving up 31 straight points, as the Chiefs did two weeks ago in the stunning loss to Philadelphia.

So where are the Chiefs today, and where might they be by season's end?

The guess here is they will battle to be just better than average while hoping that 9-7 will sneak them into the playoffs.

It's a team with an offense showing the inevitable ravages of age. Its defense is improving, but its secondary still ranks No. 30. Not only could the Chiefs not cover Santana (Moss) on his 173-yard career-day Sunday, they also seemed incapable of covering Jerry Garcia, Jimi Hendrix or any other late-great guitarist.

This one will play out right through the final game -- the Jan. 1 game with AFC North leader Cincinnati that fans here once considered a gimmie.

Fruit Ninja
10-18-2005, 01:14 AM
yeah, this article sucked. I wanna kick em in the nads for this article.

keg in kc
10-18-2005, 01:16 AM
He could be right.

It could also be the result of the "restful" camp we had for the vets, or all the injuries we've had, costing us early 'synch", or the suspensions.

What we've been is less important than how much we improve.

And there aren't really all that many "breathers" in the NFL, not in the parity era, especially not with a schedule like we have. Teams that blew out people this week could get blown out themselves next week. That's the nature of the league, and I had the impression that, heading into the year, everyone knew it wasn't going to be a cakewalk.

SoCalBronco
10-18-2005, 01:27 AM
I think the media is just out to get the Chiefs.

JMO.

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2005, 01:34 AM
EAST COAST BIAS

Straight, No Chaser
10-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Nice call, Rick Dean.
Until this team can play four consecutive quarters (during one game) with a respectable level of consistency on offense and defense, then Dean's right, every game will be tight. I WANT TO SEE TRENT GREEN TAKE A KNEE --JUST ONCE. I think this week it happens in Miami, against a team that appears to be in trouble. I don't buy the Miami jinx for the Chiefs --that was Schottenheimer not Vermiel.

--->

tk13
10-18-2005, 01:42 AM
We could also be like the 2002 Oakland team that was 4-4 and looked 'old' halfway home and finally started clicking in the 2nd half all the way to a Super Bowl.... only time will tell.

Count Zarth
10-18-2005, 01:44 AM
I WANT TO SEE TRENT GREEN TAKE A KNEE --JUST ONCE.

OK!

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1051/trentknee1ys.gif (http://imageshack.us)

BigRock
10-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Dean hasn't been watching football this season if he thinks the 'Skins game was supposed to be "a breather".

And all the talk about stats is meaningless. You're not going to have as many offensive yards, or first downs, or a long time of posession if your defense or your special teams scores for you. If the 'Skins hadn't coughed up the ball for the fumble recovery TD, all of those stats would have increased when our offensive came back out. But they didn't have to, and the 'Skins got back to back drives that increased their own stats in those areas.

Imagine if, instead of Priest's big screen pass TD, Dante had returned a kick for a TD instead. Oh man, our yards and time of posession would have been even worse! The 'Skins would have dominated us!

But we still would have won.

SCChief
10-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Dean hasn't been watching football this season if he thinks the 'Skins game was supposed to be "a breather".

And all the talk about stats is meaningless. You're not going to have as many offensive yards, or first downs, or a long time of posession if your defense or your special teams scores for you. If the 'Skins hadn't coughed up the ball for the fumble recovery TD, all of those stats would have increased when our offensive came back out. But they didn't have to, and the 'Skins got back to back drives that increased their own stats in those areas.

Imagine if, instead of Priest's big screen pass TD, Dante had returned a kick for a TD instead. Oh man, our yards and time of posession would have been even worse! The 'Skins would have dominated us!

But we still would have won.

Exactly!

And I don't know where Dean gets the impression we were supposed to blow out Washington. Funny how the media seems to expect more than we fans do.

At least KC covered the 5.5 line! Hehe.

DaWolf
10-18-2005, 05:49 AM
I think it's just a matter of time before our offense starts clicking. We've never been fast starters offensively, but have always seemed to get better as the year goes on. As long as our defense improves as we go along with the offense, I think we should be fine. Of course that's a big if, but we'll see. I'd rather struggle a bit now and kick ass at the end of the year heading into the playoffs than what happened in 2003 (9-0 then struggle the rest of the way)...

siberian khatru
10-18-2005, 06:05 AM
We could also be like the 2002 Oakland team that was 4-4 and looked 'old' halfway home and finally started clicking in the 2nd half all the way to a Super Bowl.... only time will tell.

http://www.connollyco.com/discography/asia/only7.jpg

Extra Point
10-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Article was written a la Whitlock 2004. He's a period writer. He's a skeptic. Period.

What's even more unthinkable, is he may be right.

The key to the Jets game was that both O&D were clicking throughout the game. Run blocking* and tight receiver coverage are, to me, the issues to resolve. When the Chiefs execute both, they're unstoppable.

*Includes sending the TE downfield as a double threat.

Iron Chef
10-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Good teams find a way to win games in which they're dominated statistically.

This is the only line that is important.

AirForceChief
10-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Santana is dead? I knew Hendrix and Garcia were...but geez...