PDA

View Full Version : Heres the end of the USC Notre Dame game video

Mecca
10-18-2005, 02:32 AM
This is the last 2 minutes of the game, it's in quicktime format. Watch when Leinart fumbles where the ball goes out of bounds, I'd say the officials did a pretty good job with the spot..........

http://homepage.mac.com/expandingman/.Movies/usc-nd.mov

tk13
10-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Actually the rule most people were arguing today was something that nobody mentioned on Saturday... the fact that Bush pushed Leinart into the endzone. I thought the spot wasn't too far off, but nobody even talked about the push into the endzone. That was clearly an illegal play. You cannot be pushed into the endzone by a teammate like Bush did to Leinart.

Mecca
10-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Ok take away 75% of goalline plays because that always happens. Anyway if you watch it Leinart would have scored anyway, he was already spinning to the direction Bush pushed him, and he pushed him into an area where there was nobody there.
So leinart could have just fallen forward into the end zone

tk13
10-18-2005, 02:53 AM
75% of plays that happens? Are you serious? That another guy gets behind the guy with the ball and shoves him into the endzone? No way.

tk13
10-18-2005, 02:57 AM
And regardless of whether or not Leinart could've found room in that area, the action of Bush doing that is still a penalty.

Mecca
10-18-2005, 03:11 AM
If you watch any short yardage plays anywhere on the field and theres a pile. Guys push the pile, it happens all the time. On QB sneaks in the middle of the field the RB's generally get right up behind the QB's and push them. Maybe it's suppose to be a penalty, but in college football it frequently happens and is never called. In that situation your basically asking the officials to decide the game. I don't know about you but I'd rather that not happen at the end of games.

Also for that matter if we wanna talk about non called flags. What about the absolute cheap shot that ND safety took at Reggie Bush? Bush had crossed the goaline and that dude hauled off and tackled him.

tk13
10-18-2005, 03:21 AM
I don't think that play where Bush pushes Leinert into the endzone is a frequent college football play. I don't think that's really "pushing a pile". There's a difference between "pile" and "person".

And that "asking the officials" to decide the game argument doesn't fly with me. I don't ask the officials to decide games, I'd ask them to call the game legally as it stands regardless of time, down, or score. That was an illegal play in blatant view, it should've been called. I personally have no rooting interest in either team, they're both overbloated arrogant football programs, but to me "letting them play" does not equal "allow everything to slide even when a play that should not be ruled as legal decides the game".

Mecca
10-18-2005, 03:41 AM
How is USC overrated or "overbloated" as you say? After watching that game I think the word clutch applies alot more than those 2. I really don't view USC as an "arrogant" team. Are they a little cocky? sure they've earned the right to be a little cocky but I don't think they're arrogant.

It's not like this is Miami or FSU we're talking about here with saying they're arrogant. Hell even Notre Dame is more arrogant than USC is. Their TE busted out before that game with "the campus will be great after we win" before that game. I didn't see any USC players making comments like that.........

tk13
10-18-2005, 03:54 AM
USC is a great football team. I'm just pushing your buttons. They are arrogant in that they've sleepwalked through the first half several times this year, but hey, they've proven they can just turn it on in the 2nd half and pull it out. At least so far, more power to 'em. Although I still believe that the rule clearly deems that last play illegal. Sorry, but it's the truth, you may not like it, but it's the truth. In a sport where 1 loss often can lead to a lost season, you gotta call that stuff. Notre Dame finally has a national championship caliber team again and they're not going to get to prove it because the official chose to "let them play" on an obvious penalty. I'd be pissed if I were them too...

Mecca
10-18-2005, 04:08 AM
You get some calls you lose some calls, Notre Dame has themselves to blame for putting themselves in that spot. Cmon 3rd and 20, 4th and 9.

By the way if you do watch the video, watch Charlie Weis' facial expression after the 4th and 9 play. It's priceless.

tk13
10-18-2005, 04:26 AM
I agree with that. They don't even get in that situation if they don't give up a zillion yard play on 4th and long. I think I said that the other day. If I didn't, I was thinking it at least...