PDA

View Full Version : NFT: F.E.A.R, anyone like first person shooters?

Redcoats58
10-18-2005, 05:38 AM
I just picked this game up for PC tonight and man it is already scaring the crap out of me. These game developers are sure getting good at making suspensful games. Any of you guys like FPS's that are scarey pick this game up it wont disappoint. :eek:

Fairplay
10-18-2005, 05:49 AM
My computer won't play it. I have a 1.8 GHZ and a newer Radeon card and it barely runs it.

The game does look awesome to play though.

Redcoats58
10-18-2005, 06:02 AM
I have a 3400+ with a geforce 6800gt and I have to run it at 1280*960 with medium and some high settings, the game is pretty damn graphic intensive. I usually can crank all games graphics up but this one is different.

jjjayb
10-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Put everything on high except texture resolution and volumetric light density. Put those 2 on medium. They slow things down a bunch. And don't use soft shadows.

Redcoats58
10-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Put everything on high except texture resolution and volumetric light density. Put those 2 on medium. They slow things down a bunch. And don't use soft shadows.
Thanks for the heads up, ill try it and see how it runs.

GoTrav
10-18-2005, 07:12 AM
I just picked this game up for PC tonight and man it is already scaring the crap out of me. These game developers are sure getting good at making suspensful games. Any of you guys like FPS's that are scarey pick this game up it wont disappoint. :eek:

how is the multi-play? I almost played completely through Doom 3 which was pretty scary...but outside of the on-line play I'm not a huge fan of the single player FPS experience. Expansion for BF2 hits the store early Nov :drool:

Pants
10-18-2005, 11:13 AM
how is the multi-play? I almost played completely through Doom 3 which was pretty scary...but outside of the on-line play I'm not a huge fan of the single player FPS experience. Expansion for BF2 hits the store early Nov :drool:

Heh, this game is different "scary". Doom 3 involved creatures randomly spawning behind you to "scare" you... this, on the other hand just has some really f*cked up shit to scare you, i.e. unlike Doom 3, it's actually scary.

Sydd
10-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Heh, this game is different "scary". Doom 3 involved creatures randomly spawning behind you to "scare" you... this, on the other hand just has some really f*cked up shit to scare you, i.e. unlike Doom 3, it's actually scary.

Heck yea... Doom 3's version of scary was "Oh look! A dark corner. I wonder if something will jump out at me?"

This game has atmosphere to scare you.

Anyone ever play an old game called System Shock 2? That was one of the best, but most underrated games, ever. Had an incredible story and could scare the crap out of you.

Bowser
10-18-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm a first person shooter junkie, but I have been stuck to buying XBOX games. My 'puter is three years old, which means ancient in 'puter years. It would cost a hell of a lot of mon-ay to upgrade the thing just to play recent games, so I stick it out with the XBOX.

Doom 3 wasn't bad, it just wasn't as great as I was hoping. The sequel is the exact same game, if anyone was wondering. If you didn't like Doom 3, you won't like Ressurection of Evil. Some new twists, but pretty much the same....

Pants
10-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm a first person shooter junkie, but I have been stuck to buying XBOX games. My 'puter is three years old, which means ancient in 'puter years. It would cost a hell of a lot of mon-ay to upgrade the thing just to play recent games, so I stick it out with the XBOX.

Doom 3 wasn't bad, it just wasn't as great as I was hoping. The sequel is the exact same game, if anyone was wondering. If you didn't like Doom 3, you won't like Ressurection of Evil. Some new twists, but pretty much the same....

Just get Live alongside Halo 2 and forget about buying any new shooters.

Count Zarth
10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Downloading the demo now.

Fairplay
10-18-2005, 11:53 AM
The demo is cool that came with it. (FEAR)

I like FPS.

Doom 3 got boring about 8 levels into it.

I need a whole new comp to play Fear. Doubt if that will happen anytime soon.

jjjayb
10-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Anyone ever play an old game called System Shock 2? That was one of the best, but most underrated games, ever. Had an incredible story and could scare the crap out of you.

Awesome game. I just reinstalled it last week to play it through again. As old as the game is it's still better than most games they put out these days. That and it had co-op. Real co-op. Play the single player game with friends.

Sydd
10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Awesome game. I just reinstalled it last week to play it through again. As old as the game is it's still better than most games they put out these days. That and it had co-op. Real co-op. Play the single player game with friends.

Absolutely. There was so much cool stuff in that game that has never been duplicated. Too bad Looking Glass Studios is not around anymore. They created some amazing games. Plus, SHODAN was such a cool villan.
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

If you have not seen it, I highly recommend the mod called "rebirth". It can easliy be found with a search. It updates all the character models to look more like today's standards. There is also a texture mod that updates all the walls and and stuff with better graphics. Can't remember the name of that one though.

jjjayb
10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
If you have not seen it, I highly recommend the mod called "rebirth". It can easliy be found with a search. It updates all the character models to look more like today's standards. There is also a texture mod that updates all the walls and and stuff with better graphics. Can't remember the name of that one though.

Heh, that's why I reinstalled it. :thumb:

Count Zarth
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
I have System Shock 2, but it's been sitting on the shelf for months. Where's the hi-res texture pack for it?

Sydd
10-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I have System Shock 2, but it's been sitting on the shelf for months. Where's the hi-res texture pack for it?

WWW.google.com :p

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

You can also go to:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/

You can get a bunch of other high res stuff from here. Can't check it from work, damn network cops (wait, that is me), have most game stuff blocked.

ChiefFripp
10-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Haven't tried F.E.A.R. because I'm waiting for the other acronym game , S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Like you, I'm into multiplayer FPS games ,namely BF2. Can't wait for the expansion.

ZootedGranny
10-18-2005, 03:14 PM
The gunfights in F.E.A.R. are outstanding, but I felt the rest of the game was merely average.

Fairplay
10-18-2005, 03:16 PM
The gunfights in F.E.A.R. are outstanding, but I felt the rest of the game was merely average.

I thought the game just came out on the 17th?

You play it all already?

ZootedGranny
10-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, I've beat it. It's pretty short...it took me maybe 6 hours.

KCChiefsMan
10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Just get Live alongside Halo 2 and forget about buying any new shooters.

I hate playing Halo 2 on XBOX Live, 2 reasons:
1) it takes about 10 minutes to get into a 6 minute game and you can't even choose what kind of game you want to play in, I'm always sitting there for 10 minutes while it finds a 6 minute capture the flag game for me. I haven't played it since about a week after the game came out so maybe they've changed that by now.
2) I don't stand a chance, I have a feeling that a lot of these people on there play the game online for 10 hours a day and so they are 100X better than me and I can't last more than 3 seconds without getting shot, same thing with Madden, a couple days after Madden came out I decided to play on Live and I ended up losing 3 games very badly against people that already had over 100 games logged in

Bowser
10-18-2005, 03:33 PM

That's quick. That might even be shorter than Max Payne.

KCChiefsMan
10-18-2005, 04:22 PM

try it on medium difficulty instead of easy....j/k I've never played the game