PDA

View Full Version : In which Jack Thompson gets PWNT

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2005, 07:06 AM
http://penny-arcade.com/

The inimitably insane Jack Thompson (http://www.vgcats.com/jack.php) got into a bit of a tiff (http://penny-arcade.com/news.php?date=2005-10-12) (3rd newspost down, plus the next page) with the PA guys last week, and a delicious follow-up happened yesterday:

You Lose
Mon, October 17 2005 - 12:04 PM
by: Tycho

It was only a matter of time until a mod team took Jack Thompson's disgusting revenge fantasy and made it flesh (http://hellfish.gtajunkies.com/Story.html) - and, just as I suggested, it was deemed insufficient (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000743063662/).

Thompson now claims that his repellent suggestion was "satire," and we must conclude that his financial offer was also satire, some new breed of satire apparently that I'm sure is just hilarious to people in need.

You know what, Jack? We're going to be the men you're not. You said that your insulting, illusory ten thousand dollars would go to the charity of Paul Eibeler (http://www.taketwo.com/)'s choice. We've got a good guess that he'd direct your nonexistant largesse toward The Entertainment Software Association Foundation (http://www.theesa.com/foundation/index.php), a body that has raised over six point seven million dollars over the last eight years. We've just made the donation you never would, and never meant to. Ten thousand dollars' worth. And we made it in your name.

(CW)TB

As someone on FARK said:

I've met Mike (Gabe) and Jerry(Tycho) a number of times and have no doubt in my mind that they gave the ten thousand dollars in order to a)do a good deed that Jacko would never have the guts to do himself and b) to punch their metaphorical fist so far up Jack's ass they could make him sing the alphabet song.ROFL

"You know, there are sociopaths everywhere. Some of them are in government, some of them are at TakeTwo. In fact, we got a bunch of sociopaths in Edinburgh, Scotland, sittin' around in kilts sippin' their single malt whiskey spreading racial, hurtful stereotypes in this country." - Jack Thompson (http://www.chatterboxgameshow.com/jack.htm)

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2005, 07:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_%28attorney%29

http://files.moddb.com/663/

jidar
10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Jack Thompson is a monumental asshat.

I've been playing video games my entire life and I don't want to kill anyone. And if you bastards say otherwise I'll kill you.

No seriously, my views on this are probably more extreme than most. My son is 8 years old and I let him play mostly whatever he wants. Grand Theft Auto? Sure. Hell I play it with him, and he's pretty good too. He's great in school, he's good in sports, and he makes friends effortlessly. His teachers say he's a delight, in fact last year his teacher said he was so witty it was almost like having another adult around. (her words) Maybe that's because he isn't sheltered and he's treated with a large measure of respect.

He's the nicest most mild mannered kid around. I have had a hard time getting him to be aggressive in football. If the 'experts' are to be believed the kid should be some kind of killing machine by now.

The truth is, I just know my son and I know that he understand the difference between reality and make believe.

A lot of people disagree with my stance on this, even the guys at Penny Arcade would give me shit if they knew what I let my son do, but I grow more confident in this decision every year. The results speak for themselves.

Also, I have an 11 year old daughter who was afforded the same freedoms but she never took to video games to the extent my son has. She likes to play them now and then and when her friends come over they like to play scarey games on the Xbox (Fatal Frame mostly), but not nearly so much as my son does. Anyway, she's fine too. Go figure.

Woah, that's a book. Sorry.

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Mortal Kombat was really fun when I was 8, and I'm not screwed up at all now...

Well, okay, but it wasn't MK's fault.

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2005, 11:16 AM
I'd question this, if it were anyone other than Jack Thompson...

http://www.gamepolitics.com/

BREAKING NEWS: Will Seattle's Finest Be Raiding Penny Arcade?

The simmering controversy over anti-game crusader Jack Thompson's controverisal $10,000 donation offer took an ugly turn this morning. The Miami attorney has tried to enlist the efforts of the Seattle Police Department in a dust-up with gamer website Penny Arcade.

In a letter faxed to Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske (left), Thompson says, in part, "A Seattle business by the name of Penny Arcade... employs certain personnel who have decided to commence and orchestrate criminal harassment of me by various means... This company has done this because I dared to go on CBS's 60 Minutes in March and again in July to explain a wrongful death lawsuit I have brought on behalf of two police officers and a police dispatcher in Fayette, Alabama, who were shot in the head and killed by Devin Moore who obsessively trained on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City to kill them."

"As you may know, this incredibly violent Rockstar Games product is actually a 'cop-killing' murder simulator. There are a bunch of computer geeks out there who think that the video game industry has a constitutional right to paint a bullseye on your back and on your officers' backs... That is what this criminal harassment of me by Penny Arcade is all about. They're even selling an 'I Hate Jack Thompson' t-shirt, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. These idiots have been so careless as to post on their www.pennyarcade.com web site what they are doing regarding the harassment of me."

"I look forward to working with your fine Police Department to shut this little extortion factory down and/or arrest some of its employees."

This latest controversy is part and parcel to a complicated dispute over Thompson's bizarre offer to donate $10K to charity provided that a developer create and distribute a violent game of Thompson's specification in which the victims were industry executives and their families.

GP is seeking comment from the folks at Penny Arcade, but given the East Coast-West Coast time differential, it's likely they haven't even rolled into Starbucks yet. We'll add anything we hear from them. We'll also add any comment we are able to get from SPD, although Thompson's complaint wouldn't seem likely to be high on their priority list. And anyway, their investigation will likely be hindered by the fact that Thompson's letter provides the wrong URL for Penny Arcade.

By the way, the Penny Arcade case is not the first time the volatile attorney has tried to sic the gendarmes on a game site.

Can you say "chilling effect?"

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
tales from the coot
Mon, October 17 2005 - 7:00 PM
by: Gabe

Jack was on CNN tonight to talk about Midway’s new football game. Like I said in my news post above , this is why Jack is scary. Because he has no ****ing clue what he’s talking about yet they put him on CNN to talk as though he was an expert. This is a quote from him:

"The NFL wouldn't allow it's name to be used, so that tells you something."

He doesn’t understand that EA purchased the rights to NFL games and that Midway’s new game is a direct response to that. Like I said before the time for ignoring this coot is over. He can’t be allowed to pull this kind of shit anymore.

-Gabe out

Valiant
10-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Nothing will come of thompsons suit agianst the arcade... He is a public entity, they can parity his ass all they want..

RedDread
10-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm confused Psi, is that tomorrow's comic? I can't see it on the site yet and they usually don't post it till 5 AM.

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm confused Psi, is that tomorrow's comic? I can't see it on the site yet and they usually don't post it till 5 AM.It would appear so.

The filename is 20051019l.jpg. Oh, and the 10/19 comic is titled "The Big House," according to the site, though it still shows the one about placenta sandwiches (the final frame is golden).

And just because I feel like it:

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135979.html

Awesome. While CCing the fax to everyone, he neglected to mention that he hadn't actually sent it to the Seattle PD yet... ROFL

However, it appears Thompson did neglect to send the letter to one very important party. As of 9:55 a.m. PDT, the Seattle Police Department confirmed to GameSpot that it had not received any such fax from Thompson.

Thompson e-mailed GameSpot again at 10:38 a.m. PDT, saying that he has fixed the URL and apparently faxed the letter, commenting, "They have it now." Thompson added, "The moral midgets like the computer geeks at Penny Arcade think that I am some sort of pixelated pińata in a game. I'm not. Gabe [the in-comic alter ego of Penny Arcade artist Krahulik] decided to go after me, and he chose the wrong target. I've been at this longer than he has."

[UPDATE]: GameSpot once again called the Seattle Police Department to confirm receipt of Thompson's fax. As of 2:31 p.m. PDT, Kerlikowske's office still had not received any communication from Thompson.

Reaper16
10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Jack Thompson is a sad individual on his last legs of supposed relevance. Most of the mainstream media outlets have finally caught on that Jack is a spiteful, vengeful man who doesn't bother with facts on his crusade for notoriety. To quote Tycho of Penny Arcade, even if this was about someone else:
"He's a ridiculous man, a little goblin who pokes his head out of dark holes and scowls at all the Earth. There is no room in my life for that kind of person."

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Ah, the Harlan Ellison incident. Classic.

"Don't you want your hat?" ROFL

shaneo69
10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
The Throwin' Samoan was one of the biggest draft busts of all time.

Pants
10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
What a ****ing tool. I guess I'm now an expert marksman, having trained myself playing so much Halo, etc.

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Tycho and I remain free men. The fact is that Jack actually sent the fax to everyone but the intended recipient at the Seattle PD. There were a lot of names to remember I don’t blame him.ROFL

KC Jones
10-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Jack Thompson is a monumental asshat.

I've been playing video games my entire life and I don't want to kill anyone. And if you bastards say otherwise I'll kill you.

No seriously, my views on this are probably more extreme than most. My son is 8 years old and I let him play mostly whatever he wants. Grand Theft Auto? Sure. Hell I play it with him, and he's pretty good too. He's great in school, he's good in sports, and he makes friends effortlessly. His teachers say he's a delight, in fact last year his teacher said he was so witty it was almost like having another adult around. (her words) Maybe that's because he isn't sheltered and he's treated with a large measure of respect.

He's the nicest most mild mannered kid around. I have had a hard time getting him to be aggressive in football. If the 'experts' are to be believed the kid should be some kind of killing machine by now.

The truth is, I just know my son and I know that he understand the difference between reality and make believe.

A lot of people disagree with my stance on this, even the guys at Penny Arcade would give me shit if they knew what I let my son do, but I grow more confident in this decision every year. The results speak for themselves.

Also, I have an 11 year old daughter who was afforded the same freedoms but she never took to video games to the extent my son has. She likes to play them now and then and when her friends come over they like to play scarey games on the Xbox (Fatal Frame mostly), but not nearly so much as my son does. Anyway, she's fine too. Go figure.

Woah, that's a book. Sorry.

Shocking that your behavior as a parent have more of an effect on the kids than a video game or any professional athletes. Whodda thunk it?

I wouldn't go as far as you, but yeah I think all of this anti-game crap is dumb.

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2005, 02:23 PM
From the PA forums: From my lawyer neighbor:

---
Quote:
FYI - Most state Bar Associations have an ethics/professional conduct
rule that prohibits a lawyer from threatening to file a criminal charge
to gain an advantage in civil matters. Although these rules are more
clearly intended to prevent the tactical use of such a threat for
leverage in settlement negotiations, they might apply to Jack Thompson's
faxed letter.

In other words, a threat to file a criminal extortion complaint might be
considered coercive conduct and unbecoming a member of the Bar. It
depends on his motivation. This is like David versus Goliath... except that there's like 50,000 Davids and Goliath is a giant retard.ROFL

Ultra Peanut
10-22-2005, 05:23 AM
He's going all the way to the top with this...