PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst in Local Sports Talk Radio

KcHardHitter
10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about the state of our local sports radio considering we have not one but two sports stations. Let me know what you think even though I'm right.

Best: 610 Sports Night with Chris and Cowboy - refreshingly different from all the other shows

Worst: Tim Grunhard Show - Grunhard has a worse voice than Bob Gretz and rambles. Good thing Franz never shuts up I guess.

|Zach|
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
It is all awful.

Just....

Terrible.

gblowfish
10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120606&page=1&pp=15

4th and Long
10-18-2005, 06:46 PM
It is all awful.

Just....

Terrible.
That just about covers it.

Deberg_1990
10-18-2005, 08:18 PM
It is all awful.

Just....

Terrible.

But yet, you guys still tune in....

|Zach|
10-18-2005, 08:19 PM
I have not tuned in to a single min. of sports radio this year.

WilliamTheIrish
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Uh... no... not all of us. I'll admit I did tune in to 810 today (first time in months) and listened to a great piece from Clinckscale about how great the baseball game was last night. About 35 minutes of really good radio.

Then it was time for work.

stevieray
10-18-2005, 08:23 PM

the irony of this post is overwhelming.

Deberg_1990
10-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Uh... no... not all of us. I'll admit I did tune in to 810 today (first time in months) and listened to a great piece from Clinckscale about how great the baseball game was last night. About 35 minutes of really good radio.

Then it was time for work.

Clinksdale is pretty good, but the rest of the local guys are just as bad as the National Blowhards on ESPN. I agree, Sports talk radio can be entertaining at times, but most of it is just..........crap.

Bigwigbob
10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
D.A. is ok when he isnt getting off on non sport tangents. Grunhardt is good when talking about chiefs anything else sucks, and Marty Wahl spends too much time hitting on girls and asking why they dont find his skanky old ass attractive. I enjoy crunchtime in the mornings on 810 listen to it every day.

jspchief
10-18-2005, 09:24 PM
KC sports radio sucks. The biggest problem is too much local programming. KC isn't big enough to turn out enough local talent to support that much programming on one station, let alone two.

IMO, Des Moines' local guys are so much better. All we have is a morning show and an afternoon drive show. Leave the rest to the professionals.

ChiefsFire
10-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about the state of our local sports radio considering we have not one but two sports stations. Let me know what you think even though I'm right.

Best: 610 Sports Night with Chris and Cowboy - refreshingly different from all the other shows

Worst: Tim Grunhard Show - Grunhard has a worse voice than Bob Gretz and rambles. Good thing Franz never shuts up I guess.

is that am or fm?

keitzman sucks bawls

Petro is the only one that has a clue

Archie F. Swin
10-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Petro is one of the best Ive heard. He has a long career ahead of him. He's smart, prepared and well informed. He can talk about anything with a fair amount of credibility. He's wise beyond his mid 30s or whatever.

Extra Point
10-19-2005, 12:02 PM
What "KC Sports Radio?"

After the JW/KK break out, it died.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 12:02 PM
KC sports radio sucks. The biggest problem is too much local programming. KC isn't big enough to turn out enough local talent to support that much programming on one station, let alone two.

IMO, Des Moines' local guys are so much better. All we have is a morning show and an afternoon drive show. Leave the rest to the professionals.

As much as he drives me nuts sometimes, Deace is better than anybody on either 610 or 810 IMO.

The only reason I occasionally listen to 610 is because they have analysis from former players and I dig that, even if it's Grunny or Maas, because they played the game...

Seek
10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I can not stand Jack Harry on the 38 the spot. The sky is always falling.

DA on 610 is pretty annoying.

Jim Rome is very annyong, ER - give a take and make sure does not suck. I'm OUT. ER

Kietzman has totally blows. He is now making his shows based around the people who endorse him. Like the stupid Cooking shows.

Marty Whal should stick to Classic Rock, Music.

I have become very found of my XM radio the last couple months.

RP_McMurphy
10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Border Patrol with St. John and Fescoe is pretty good with a variety of topics and people that aren't afraid to state thier opinions.

Keitzman used to be good but has become nothing more than a Infomercial lately. I don't he has discussed a hard hitting sports topic in the last six months. But we sure as heck know how to cook on the BBQ grill.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Border Patrol with St. John and Fescoe is pretty good with a variety of topics and people that aren't afraid to state thier opinions.

Keitzman used to be good but has become nothing more than a Infomercial lately. I don't he has discussed a hard hitting sports topic in the last six months. But we sure as heck know how to cook on the BBQ grill.

Keitzman won't touch "hard-hitting" with a 10-foot pole...he got in too much trouble when he exposed that drug ring that brought the NFL to it's knees...

alpha_omega
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Good = Petro

Bad = Grunhard

Halfcan
10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't listen to the radio much so I will trust you guys on that.

kregger
10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
good = Petro, does his research and entertains

bad = Rome, Wall/Jones(should have stayed on FM)

Bowser
10-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Keitzman won't touch "hard-hitting" with a 10-foot pole...he got in too much trouble when he exposed that drug ring that brought the NFL to it's knees...

Haha.

morphius
10-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Petro is the only one of the bunch I can stand to listen to, but other then that its too painful for me to listen to anymore. Everytime I hear keitzman I hear about a downtown baseball park, 810 the zone, or some damn lame golf story between him and one of his buddies. Just blech.

BigRedChief
10-19-2005, 01:50 PM

ROFL I'm sure he would have been on top of the Marty/Greg Hill/GF/Wife story too.:)

Sully
10-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Petro is far and away the best in the city, and when he has Enich on, it's as good as it ever was back in the 1510 days.
Keitzman is done. I think he feels like he made his hay bring down the "big guys" back when he started at Union, and now that he is the "big guy" in the city he is as awful as those he focused on bringing down at "conglomo."
DA isn't bad. I like some of his running jokes ("That's right, dollar signs" and Stormbot to name a couple). Of course, I don't get all pissed off if my sports talk mixes in a little non-sports talk.
Mid morning is wful. Grunhard and Franz are horrible. It is so sad to see Grunhard be so bad. His old Thursday night shows were friggin great. I guess one hour a week compared with two hours daily really brings out the talent level, huh?
...and the Frank Boal show? ugh. I don't care to hear non-sports stuff, but I also don't want to hear about dog poo or Kevin Harlan's breakfast habits, either.

OK, I'm done ranting. Thank God for satellite radio.

patteeu
10-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I find Keitzman's show unlistenable ever since WHB won the Royals contract. I never liked him much to begin with, but now that 810 has to spend so much time talking Royals I can't stand to listen.

I really liked the Whitlock/Jones combination after Maas left 610's afternoon program, but since Whitlock was replaced by Marty Wall it's been far less interesting. But at least they spend plenty of time talking about the Chiefs.

Soren Petro is my favorite of the personalities and he puts on a pretty good show, but he has the Royals problem too. Unlike Keitzman though, he isn't absurdly anti-Carl Peterson.

Overall, I spend most of my time listening to 610AM because they spend more time focused on football in general and Chiefs in particular.

patteeu
10-19-2005, 02:00 PM

I think St. John is great, but I can't stand listening to Bob Fescoe. I also like Leabo's contributions to 810's programs, but alas, his on-air time is limited.

patteeu
10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Petro is far and away the best in the city, and when he has Enich on, it's as good as it ever was back in the 1510 days.

I'm not much on trivia shows, but other than that I think it's great when Enich and Petro get together. They've always worked well together.

I agree with what you said about Keitzman becoming like the conglomo guys he used to pursue.

DomCasual
10-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey, who is the woman on Survivor? Is she really a sports talk host there? Did any of you know who she was before Survivor?

Phobia
10-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Hey, who is the woman on Survivor? Is she really a sports talk host there? Did any of you know who she was before Survivor?

No we didn't. She supposedly had some Sunday morning show. I've never heard of her.

DomCasual
10-19-2005, 06:40 PM
No we didn't. She supposedly had some Sunday morning show. I've never heard of her.
I figured as much. Survivor would bill the guy who sets off the fireworks at the neighborhood Independence Day celebration as a rocket scientist, if it helped ratings.