PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to Grow an Avocado Tree

KCWolfman
10-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Okay, I know the clime is wrong in KC for an avocado tree, but my ex-father-in-law has certainly challenged me.

He has attempted to grow an avocado plant/tree (indoors) from a single seed for the last 3 years and failed each time. He has had the seed split and bloom a single green stem each time only to die a few weeks later. He said it just can't be done. I am giving it a shot with the Waldin Avocado. I think I can grow a 7' to 8' tree eventually with enough patience and care. I don't think it will bear fruit, but I like the leaves and the tree itself so that is no big deal.

After 9 days in a ziploc bag with a soaking wet paper towel, the seed has split and I can see the beginning of a shoot. I will will transplant to the first pot in another 5 or 6 days. At that point, I will water about 1/3-1/2 cup of water a day and keep in a combination of direct sunlight and a plant light (dependent upon outside temperature and amount of daily sunlight) for about 6 hours a day. No fertilization until the tree is one year old.

Anyone ever done this that can offer advice on what I have posted or failed to post above? I know I can beat the old codger and get my plant to grow.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-18-2005, 11:29 PM
some people go bowling, some go out and shoot deer, some go fishing, some do drugs, you want to grow an avacodo tree that won't even bear fruit.

sounds like a plan to me, keep it inside, warm and in the sun

good luck
i tried to grow a tangerine tree once, damn dog dug it out of the pot and shit in it

Frazod
10-18-2005, 11:31 PM
i tried to grow a tangerine tree once, damn dog dug it out of the pot and shit in it

ROFL

I hate it when that happens

chief99
10-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Why avocado ?

Grow a fig tree.

Miles
10-19-2005, 02:14 AM
good luck

ROFL

Taco John
10-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Heh. Good ole' Russ. Growing a tree out of spite. ROFL

Good to see you back around.

KChiefsQT
10-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Why avocado ?

Grow a fig tree.

I second this. Figs are the best!! mmm mmmm

|Zach|
10-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Good luck Russ.

I am trying to grow a Crab Rangoon tree. We will see how it pans out.

I don't think it will happen though. I once had a small cactus and it died. Which means I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mecca
10-19-2005, 05:48 AM
I second this. Figs are the best!! mmm mmmm

Fig Newtons?

tiptap
10-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Okay, I know the clime is wrong in KC for an avocado tree, but my ex-father-in-law has certainly challenged me.

He has attempted to grow an avocado plant/tree (indoors) from a single seed for the last 3 years and failed each time. He has had the seed split and bloom a single green stem each time only to die a few weeks later. He said it just can't be done. I am giving it a shot with the Waldin Avocado. I think I can grow a 7' to 8' tree eventually with enough patience and care. I don't think it will bear fruit, but I like the leaves and the tree itself so that is no big deal.

After 9 days in a ziploc bag with a soaking wet paper towel, the seed has split and I can see the beginning of a shoot. I will will transplant to the first pot in another 5 or 6 days. At that point, I will water about 1/3-1/2 cup of water a day and keep in a combination of direct sunlight and a plant light (dependent upon outside temperature and amount of daily sunlight) for about 6 hours a day. No fertilization until the tree is one year old.

Anyone ever done this that can offer advice on what I have posted or failed to post above? I know I can beat the old codger and get my plant to grow.

Try the "Sweet Potato" method. Stick tooth picks in the seed and set in water to get sprout. Then move to mossy mix dirt after gemination but again leave the top still expose by a third. Good moisture but lots of light in order to get chlorophyll and light tropic effects.

Rain Man
10-19-2005, 07:33 AM
It's amazing to me how avocado trees can find Ziploc bags in the wild.

MOhillbilly
10-19-2005, 08:08 AM
i would do more than direct sunlight and for longer that 6 hours a day.
Matter of fact i would put it in a mini greenhouse/coldframe and double or triple the light.

JMO

Skip Towne
10-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Make sure the medium to which you transfer the seed is sterile. If it isn't, a condition called "damping off" will occur. It sounds like that's what happened to the old guy.

kepp
10-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Have you all seen that beer commercial where the couple is being shown a real dump of a house by a realtor? They're about ready to just walk out when the guy takes them into the back to show them "one more thing".

realtor: I just have one more thing to show you.
man: Is that a...
realtor: Yes. It's a beer tree.
man: Honey...we're home.

Your attempt to grow the avacado tree reminded me of it. As for the tree, I'd say just try to mimic the Southern California environment and soil and you've got a shot. I lived in L.A. and, from what I remember, avacado trees grow in hot areas with fairly sandy soil.

Phobia
10-19-2005, 08:22 AM
Make sure the medium to which you transfer the seed is sterile. If it isn't, a condition called "damping off" will occur. It sounds like that's what happened to the old guy.

Why am I not surprised you have information on growing plants indoors?

Rain Man
10-19-2005, 08:24 AM

It's funny because it's true.

Skip Towne
10-19-2005, 08:38 AM
I used to have 150 ares with a 30 X 30 tomato greenhouse on it. I even put a few tomato plants in it.