PDA

View Full Version : Could Hurricane Wilma Result in Extra Home Game?

AZChief
10-19-2005, 02:36 AM
Obviously, my first concern is with the residents in Florida. However, this is a Chiefs board so I think it's "pc" to discuss the Hurricane's ramifications on our team.

Current forecasts have the Hurricane hitting Southwestern Florida on Sat. morning with the effects hitting Miami shortly thereafter.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm24/projectedpath_large.html?from=wxcenter_maps

Given the devastation in New Orleans and the gulf coast, it is unlikely the NFL would go ahead with this game as planned should the Hurricane follows the projected path.

An obvious place to hold the game would be Arrowhead. After all, the Giants have an extra home game because of Katrina and the fact the Alamodome couldn't be prepared in time for the Saints. Additionally, by moving the game to Arrowhead the teams would not have to try to make up a game which would be difficult to schedule...

Just a random thought by someone who can't sleep..

AZ

jAZ
10-19-2005, 02:42 AM
After all the crap that the NFL got for having the Saint's play a "home game" against the Giants in Giants stadium, I can't imagine they are looking to repeat that disaster.

But I can't think of a better alternative.

tk13
10-19-2005, 02:46 AM
This has been brought up about 30 times today, and everybody seems to have a different opinion. Personally, I think there's no way that they move it to Arrowhead. I really don't want them to either, don't want to hear the rest of the division whine and watch our team get blasted up and down on ESPN for hosting an extra game. Katrina was extraordinary circumstances, and the last time a hurricane hit Florida during an NFL game they just moved the Dolphins game up a day. I imagine the game would just be moved to a different date.

KChiefsQT
10-19-2005, 02:50 AM
I hope they do move it to Arrowhead. Who gives a fugg what everyone will say about it being unfair. We'd have home-field advantage and wouldn't have to travel to the shit hole of Florida.

Miles
10-19-2005, 03:04 AM
I imagine the game would just be moved to a different date.

Yeah a day early or late depending on the storm seems to be the most likely solution if any change needs to be made. I remember them moving a game to saturday the last time this happened.

chiefqueen
10-19-2005, 05:05 AM
The NFL needs to do something................today, please!!

DaKCMan AP
10-19-2005, 05:39 AM
I would have no qualms about moving the game to the Swamp :D The gators have a bye this week.

CrazyHorse
10-19-2005, 05:54 AM
There are 2 reasons why that would never happen.

1. There is no one named Manning on our football team. The NFL is only willing to give an unfair advantage to those teams that have Mannings on them.

and

2. See reason nuber 1

Mile High Mania
10-19-2005, 06:05 AM
They should pick a team with a 'bye' this week and play the game at their stadium.

Spott
10-19-2005, 06:07 AM
I would have no qualms about moving the game to the Swamp :D The gators have a bye this week.

That would be cool, but I wouldn't mind them putting the game in Jacksonville since the Jags have a bye week. That way I wouldn't have to drive 5 hours to shit-hole Miami to see the game.

jynni
10-19-2005, 06:35 AM
So maybe - just maybe this might be a way around the Curse of Miami?

Now if we could get the game out of the state of Florida altogether...

DenverChief
10-19-2005, 06:55 AM
If Wilma is stronger than Katrina and it makes landfall near miami I don't think moving the date is going to solve the problem

Saulbadguy
10-19-2005, 06:58 AM
I kind of have my doubts that Arrowhead would sell out on such short notice.

Lurch
10-19-2005, 06:59 AM
This has been brought up about 30 times today, and everybody seems to have a different opinion. Personally, I think there's no way that they move it to Arrowhead. I really don't want them to either, don't want to hear the rest of the division whine and watch our team get blasted up and down on ESPN for hosting an extra game. Katrina was extraordinary circumstances, and the last time a hurricane hit Florida during an NFL game they just moved the Dolphins game up a day. I imagine the game would just be moved to a different date.

Yup.

jcl-kcfan2
10-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Yeah a day early or late depending on the storm seems to be the most likely solution if any change needs to be made. I remember them moving a game to saturday the last time this happened.

It's supposed to hit on sat., so no day early.

It's supposed to be a Cat4 or 5, so no day later.

You have to look at the infrastructure of southern Fla. being shut-down.

They need to start Evacuating So.Fla. now and schedule the Chiefs game for Arrowhead.

Is there any plan in place in the NFL for "make-up games"?

ChiefsFanatik88
10-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Obviously, my first concern is with the residents in Florida. However, this is a Chiefs board so I think it's "pc" to discuss the Hurricane's ramifications on our team.

Current forecasts have the Hurricane hitting Southwestern Florida on Sat. morning with the effects hitting Miami shortly thereafter.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm24/projectedpath_large.html?from=wxcenter_maps

Given the devastation in New Orleans and the gulf coast, it is unlikely the NFL would go ahead with this game as planned should the Hurricane follows the projected path.

An obvious place to hold the game would be Arrowhead. After all, the Giants have an extra home game because of Katrina and the fact the Alamodome couldn't be prepared in time for the Saints. Additionally, by moving the game to Arrowhead the teams would not have to try to make up a game which would be difficult to schedule...

AZ

There is no way the Nfl can change the home team now. It's too late in the week to make such a decision. It would have been nice.

greg63
10-19-2005, 07:15 AM
It is now a category 5 expected to hit Florida this weekend.

BigRedChief
10-19-2005, 07:25 AM
There will not be a game at Arrowhead. After the "home" game fiasco of the Saints game. there just is no way they will repeat that. Atlanta is the site if it gets moved. They play on monday night so theres no conflict.

Rain Man
10-19-2005, 07:28 AM
If the game is moved, the NFL leadership will get together and determine whether it should be played in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.

ROYC75
10-19-2005, 07:32 AM
NFL giving the Chiefs a break ? Not a chance, never has happened, never will.

But moving the game is the only logical solution if this bitch remains a monster....... Move it up north for a MNF.

mlyonsd
10-19-2005, 07:34 AM
There will not be a game at Arrowhead. After the "home" game fiasco of the Saints game. there just is no way they will repeat that. Atlanta is the site if it gets moved. They play on monday night so theres no conflict.

That makes the most sense.

RedDread
10-19-2005, 07:36 AM
I don't know if this hurricane is going to lose steam like the others did, if its path is projected correctly it won't go through the cooler, more shallow waters near the gulf coast before making landfall. I woke up this morning and it's the most intense hurricane on record (175 MPH winds and 882mb). This year's hurricane season has been pretty sickening.

They need to take this as seriously as Katrina and move that game, because even if they moved the game to monday after the hurricane passes, there will be the problem of nobody in the stadium (no body to RUN the stadium even) and possible power and water shortages.

If not here then to a neutral site, but they need to start making contingency plans now-ish.

StcChief
10-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Sunday Night in Atlanta Georgia dome. ???

Even though Falcons have a Monday Night game at home.

BigRedChief
10-19-2005, 07:46 AM

They play at noon on sunday. Last week they had a game at Arrowhead on Saturday night on "Real" turf and played the Chiefs game at noon. This is only astroturf. Easily done. It's really their only option.

Frosty
10-19-2005, 08:42 AM

I bet that's a good possibility.

Didn't they move a Charger home game to Arizona's stadium a couple years ago because of the wildfires?

dtebbe
10-19-2005, 08:52 AM

YES! PLEASE!!!!! I'll be all over that!!!!!

BTW, the GA dome has the new field turf, so turf should be no problem.

DT

siberian khatru
10-19-2005, 08:54 AM
YES! PLEASE!!!!! I'll be all over that!!!!!

BTW, the GA dome has the new field turf, so turf should be no problem.

DT

Ooh. I'd have to think about that one, too. Only 4 hours away.

Do we have time to organize a Southeast Chiefs fans soiree?

Dartgod
10-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I think they should move the game to Las Vegas.

StcChief
10-19-2005, 09:02 AM
BRC is right.

Noon Sunday seems more realistic to fix the field for MNF

KChiefs1
10-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Jacksonville & Tampa Bay are on bye, but won't the hurricane effect those cities too?

Carolina might be a good choice too....but I think Arrowhead is the place to have the game! :)

ArrowheadLouder
10-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Put the game in Arrowhead on MNF.

KChiefsQT
10-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Put the game in Arrowhead on MNF.
but will you be there to make sure ITS LOUDER LOUDER LOUDER???????

TEX
10-19-2005, 09:40 AM

AZ

No. Tags will give the home game to the Rams and fine the Chiefs for the Hurricane.

angel
10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
so I've seen so many of these Hurricane threads, but I haven't seen answers to the question... is there official word yet on what's going to happen with Sunday's game?

B_Ambuehl
10-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Well if they use the same thinking they used with the saints ($$) the he game should be in KC. I bet you won't get more then 30,000 miami fans in atlanta.

tomahawk kid
10-19-2005, 09:45 AM
The league's gotta address this today.

I'm betting the move it to a neutral site, I just hope we find out soon.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Jacksonville & Tampa Bay are on bye, but won't the hurricane effect those cities too?

Carolina might be a good choice too....but I think Arrowhead is the place to have the game! :)

Tampa would most assuredly be affected by gametime on Sunday. Jacksonville will be affected at some point, but the question is when.

chefsos
10-19-2005, 09:49 AM
so I've seen so many of these Hurricane threads, but I haven't seen answers to the question... is there official word yet on what's going to happen with Sunday's game?
Not from the Dolphins yet, evidently:
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=1655346&postcount=36

And the thread, if desired:
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=104062&page=1&pp=15

ArrowheadLouder
10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
I would defintely there making noise, and yes I would where my red bikini again. If the game does get moved to Atlanta I'll go. But the NFL should move it to Arrowhead.

Dartgod
10-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Well if they use the same thinking they used with the saints ($$) the he game should be in KC. I bet you won't get more then 30,000 miami fans in atlanta.
Vegas, baby!

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/MountainWest/UNLV/

KC Dan
10-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Vegas, baby!

If they move it to Vegas, I am so there! won't happen though... Probably Jax IMO

SLAG
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
The NFL is all about Making Money just like any other Business. Arrowhead Would SELL OUT if they had it here. Lets Make a deal

Mr. Krab
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM
I really don't want them to either, don't want to hear the rest of the division whine and watch our team get blasted up and down on ESPN for hosting an extra game.
Nothing like putting your own confort ahead of improving your team's chance to win. If it gives the Chiefs a little edge, i'd gladly put up with the ESPN grief.

chiefqueen
10-19-2005, 10:13 AM
The NFL is all about Making Money just like any other Business. Arrowhead Would SELL OUT if they had it here. Lets Make a deal

The deal may be giving them Surtain back for the extra home game are u sure you want to do that.

SLAG
10-19-2005, 10:15 AM
The deal may be giving them Surtain back for the extra home game are u sure you want to do that.

um... :shake: NO.. they can have the next best thing... Mc'Nugget

Andoverer
10-19-2005, 10:17 AM
This scenario reminds me of several years back when the Seattle Kingdome was damaged and the Mariners couldn't play at home vs. the Royals. The games ended up being played in KC and it was general admission prices and open seating as I recall for the weekend series. I'd be all for that especially if it was first come first served no season passes necessary.

HolmeZz
10-19-2005, 10:20 AM
If the game is moved, the NFL leadership will get together and determine whether it should be played in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.

I'm down with moving the game to CT.

DTLB58
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Update:

The state of Florida has ordered the evacuation of tourists from the keys of Florida.

ArrowheadLouder
10-19-2005, 10:51 AM
The Chiefs would be crazy to travel down there. Move the game to Arrowhead.

Calcountry
10-19-2005, 10:53 AM
After all the crap that the NFL got for having the Saint's play a "home game" against the Giants in Giants stadium, I can't imagine they are looking to repeat that disaster.

But I can't think of a better alternative.Sure you can, how about Wildcat stadium in Tucson? Just tell them to bear down.

Calcountry
10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
So maybe - just maybe this might be a way around the Curse of Miami?

Now if we could get the game out of the state of Florida altogether...We can sue, and appeal the site of the game all the way to the Supreme Court.

Frazod
10-19-2005, 10:56 AM
For the record, if they move the game here, it would suck. Just like it sucked when the Giants weaseled an extra home game out of it. I don't want people feeling the way about the Chiefs that everybody does about those friggin slimeballs.

I know it would help us - we probably beat Miami in KC and probably lose to them in Miami. But it's wrong. I hope they don't do it.

kregger
10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
If the NFL doesn't make an announcement by this afternoon, I'm going to believe that TAgs is getting advice from Brownie :redface:

SLAG
10-19-2005, 11:05 AM
We can sue, and appeal the site of the game all the way to the Supreme Court.

The Dimpled and Hanging Chads would Rule against us

chiefqueen
10-19-2005, 11:19 AM
According to the 'phins BB the NFL won't make a decision re the game until tomorrow.

chefsos
10-19-2005, 12:45 PM
The U of Miami-Georgia Tech game has now been cancelled; to be rescheduled.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2197571

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I hope they do move it to Arrowhead. Who gives a fugg what everyone will say about it being unfair. We'd have home-field advantage and wouldn't have to travel to the shit hole of Florida.
ROFL I like this reply...

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
They should pick a team with a 'bye' this week and play the game at their stadium.That seems like a logical idea. Heh, and coming from a Donkey fan...:p

Redcoats58
10-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I think they should move the game to Las Vegas.
Im down with that, only 90 miles away, I could make the trip lol

Rausch
10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Vegas, baby!

:clap:

Alton deFlat
10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
This scenario reminds me of several years back when the Seattle Kingdome was damaged and the Mariners couldn't play at home vs. the Royals. The games ended up being played in KC and it was general admission prices and open seating as I recall for the weekend series. I'd be all for that especially if it was first come first served no season passes necessary.

I was there and sat behind home plate.

luv
10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
That seems like a logical idea. Heh, and coming from a Donkey fan...:p
Denver has a bye this week, don't they? We could go win in their stadium.

Calcountry
10-19-2005, 01:37 PM
The Dimpled and Hanging Chads would Rule against usI don't know about Chads, but according to Rhonda Moss, we have a hanging Jerod.

RedDread
10-19-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't know about Chads, but according to Rhonda Moss, we have a hanging Jerod.

t3h ghey is spreading...

DJJasonp
10-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Wasnt there a similar situation pretty recently where the game was moved and they ended up playing in an empty stadium?

SLAG
10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Wasnt there a similar situation pretty recently where the game was moved and they ended up playing in an empty stadium?

I will not let my chiefs play in an empty stadium

I will be there If i have to

tk13
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Nothing like putting your own confort ahead of improving your team's chance to win. If it gives the Chiefs a little edge, i'd gladly put up with the ESPN grief.
If we get it moved to a neutral site, we've already won that battle. We'd only have 7 true road games. If we can't win a neutral site game against the rebuilding Dolphins, we don't deserve to have it in Arrowhead anyway... plus "my comfort" goes beyond the ESPN stuff, I would personally feel a little petty in saying "well I hope this hurricane that's probably going to destroy lives leads to an extra home game for my football team." But that's just me, everybody is different.

Sam
10-19-2005, 02:25 PM

I don't know about 'empty stadium' but the San Diego/Arizona game was moved to Arizona when there were wild fires near San Diego. They were giving away tickets to that game.

DJJasonp
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
With all due respect to the potential victims of this storm.....

I hope we dont play on Monday....that would be a disadvantage....especially if we have to turn around and go to the west coast for next week's game.

Frosty
10-19-2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know about 'empty stadium' but the San Diego/Arizona game was moved to Arizona when there were wild fires near San Diego. They were giving away tickets to that game.

It was actually against the Dolphins, not Arizona. I remember it was a big deal since it was the first time Seau played against the Chargers.

Sam
10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
It was actually against the Dolphins, not Arizona. I remember it was a big deal since it was the first time Seau played against the Chargers.

My bad. I just ass-umed that it was Arizona from the game site.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20031027_MIA@SD