PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: NFL'S TOUGHEST TASK Oct 19, 2005

DeepSouth
10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/10/19/gretz_nfls_toughest_task/

GRETZ: NFL'S TOUGHEST TASK
Oct 19, 2005, 8:16:52 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

After five games, Iím not sure what to make of the 2005 Chiefs. The big picture still remains fuzzy.

Five weeks from now, there will be some clarity, because the Chiefs are about to embark on the most difficult part of their schedule.

Whatís that you say, tougher than the first four games? Oh yes, I think the stretch that the Chiefs start in Miami and finish in Houston is tougher.

But Gretz, they donít play a team in the next five weeks with a winning record?

Thatís true. Coming up are Miami (2-3), San Diego (3-3), Oakland (1-4), Buffalo (3-3) and Houston (0-5). The Randy Moss and the Raiderz and Texans rank among the worst teams in the league after six weeks.

Hereís the deal: the Chiefs will play back-to-back road games twice in the next five weeks. Right now, thatís probably the toughest assignment that there is in the NFL. Miami-San Diego, then Buffalo-Houston will test the physical, mental and emotional capabilities of this team.

Check out these numbers after six weeks:

Road teams have won 31 of 88 games, for a winning percentage of .352. That does not include a New York Giants victory over New Orleans that was technically a road game, but was played in Giants Stadium.
Teams playing back-to-back road games have won both just twice in 16 times, a winning percentage of .125.
So far in 2005, the only teams that have been able to overcome the double-road whammy have been the unbeaten Indianapolis Colts and the Carolina Panthers. Peyton Manning and the boys took out both San Francisco and Tennessee. The Panthers were able to beat Arizona and then last Sunday Detroit.

The defending champions havenít been able to do it. New England has had back-to-back road games twice this season. The Patriots just completed a stretch in their schedule that matches what the Chiefs are about to do. They played at Carolina and then at Pittsburgh, had a home game against San Diego, and then played at Atlanta and then at Denver. In the first road doubleheader, they lost at Carolina, but beat Pittsburgh. In the second two-game trip, they beat Atlanta, but lost last Sunday to Denver.

In Bill Belichickís six seasons with the Patriots, theyíve had back-to-back road games 13 different times. Theyíve won both games just twice.

Other contenders couldnít pull this off either. Philadelphia came to Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs, but tripped the next Sunday in Dallas. Atlanta had games in Seattle and Buffalo and won just once. Dallas beat San Francisco, stayed on the west coast, and then lost to Oakland. Cincinnati just finished a two-game road trip with a 1-1 record.

The Chiefs already know that itís tough to win two consecutive on the road, having beaten Oakland and then lost the next week to Denver. Last year, the Chiefs were 3-4 after back-to-back home victories over Indianapolis and Atlanta. They were set to get back into the AFC West race. Thatís when they went on the road and dropped consecutive games at Tampa Bay and at New Orleans. That was the start of a four-game losing streak that ended any chances of the 2004 season being successful.

In the Dick Vermeil Era, the Chiefs have had nine times when theyíve played consecutive road games. They won both games three times. Two of those times came in the nine-game winning streak at the start of the 2003 season and at the end of last year, when they beat Oakland and then Tennessee on consecutive weekends.

If the 2005 Chiefs are to make something of their season, they must find a way to accomplish the NFLís toughest task: win two in a row on the road.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

siberian khatru
10-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Yep.

StcChief
10-19-2005, 10:02 AM
We will get an * for Miami if it's moved to semi-nuetral site. Atlanta, Carolina? and we win it.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 10:07 AM
I see it as:

Miami - win
SD - loss
Oak - win
Buff - loss
Houston - win

We're 6-4 and in pretty good shape.

SLAG
10-19-2005, 10:25 AM
I see it as:

Miami - win
SD - loss
Oak - win
Buff - loss
Houston - win

I Say We Win in Buff..

so 7-3

Even better

milkman
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
I see it as:

Miami - win
SD - loss
Oak - win
Buff - loss
Houston - win

If the Chiefs continue to play as inconsistently as they have to this point in the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 5-5 after this stretch.

I certainly wouldn't make any predictions about who they would win or lose against.

shaneo69
10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Gretz apparently has been listening to Vermiel for too long.

Chiefs should be happy they don't have any 3 game road trips like some teams do.

MichaelH
10-19-2005, 10:57 AM
If the Chiefs continue to play as inconsistently as they have to this point in the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at 5-5 after this stretch.

I certainly wouldn't make any predictions about who they would win or lose against.

Exactly! The Chiefs need to improve on offense and improve the pass defense. Oh, and special teams needs much improvement also. We'll be lucky to be 9-7 the way things are going.

milkman
10-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Gretz apparently has been listening to Vermiel for too long.

Chiefs should be happy they don't have any 3 game road trips like some teams do.

Dick's whining about the tough schedule notwithstanding, Gretz is right.

Winning back to back road games is a difficult task.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Exactly! The Chiefs need to improve on offense and improve the pass defense. Oh, and special teams needs much improvement also. We'll be lucky to be 9-7 the way things are going.

Um...we're 3-2 now. I had them going 3-2 over the next stretch.

If they went 3-3 after that, they'd be 9-7.

Shocking how that math work, eh?

Sam
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I Say We Win in Buff..

so 7-3

Even better

What he said.

Sam
10-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Using Gretz's analysis and looking at the AFCW's schedule.

San Diego - Playing the second half of a 2 week road trip this week in Philly. They won on the road last week in Oakland. So, they lose this week? Then in week's 15 & 16 @ Indy and @ KC. Another loss or two?

Denver - Damn lucky a$$ Broncos, only one 2 week road trip. How do they manage a schedule like this? Weeks 12 & 13 @ Dallas and @ KC. I still like their chances of losing 2 or 3 games in the 5 weeks leading up to that though. At the Giants this week, home for Philly, a bye, at Oakland and home for the Jets.

Oakland - Two 2 week road trips. Weeks 8 & 9, @ Tenn and @ KC. (Is there a trend here with all three teams having to play KC on the road as the second game?) Then, weeks 13 & 14 @ SD and @ Jets.

TEX
10-19-2005, 11:52 AM
When I first saw the schedule I was very concerned about how many back-to-back road games the CHIEFS had. All our road games, except 1 are this type. That's exactly why I picked them 3rd in the West. It's not always who youy play as it is where and when.

Compare our situation to Denver's and it makes one wonder. I mean they already have played 4 home games and they only have 1 back -to back- road game situation all year. :shake: