PDA

View Full Version : ***CLOSED*** Too hard on Sterling Sharpe **No seagull posting allowed, dick**

SharpeFan
10-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi,

I know I am late in addressing this - but I saw the extreme amount of backlash the other week against Sterling Sharpe's ESPN commentary and it crossed my mind that something else besides football could have been fueling the histrionic outcry. The complaints about Sharpe were so plentiful that it attracted a bit of media attention - although Sharpe's "offense" wasn't any different than what Joe Thiesman and the gang do just about every week. However, I do not recall a time when a group of fans complained so strongly against Thiesman's team, so I was wondering what the difference was between Thiesman & company and Sharpe. Could it be that race somehow had something to do with people's coming down so hard on Sharpe? Perhaps somewhere in people's subconscious, it made people uncomfortable that a black man was so biased and congratulatory toward another black man - and it made people much quicker to scream "Unfair!" than the "usual" occurrence of a white man meting out praise (or scorn) of a black athlete. People are more used to, and more comfortable with, white commentators being in these "powerful" positions. Thiesman and other white commentators' bias isn't as big of a deal - but the moment that Sharpe is perceived to be overly-biased, it invokes these insecure "He is sticking up for his own" feelings. What made things "worse" was that Sharpe's colleague was also African American - so you had this all-black announcing team, and people just aren't used to this kind of thing.

Anyway, all of this is just another example of how a black person - given the same behavior/circumstances - isn't afforded the same benefit-of-the-doubt that a white person is. Sharpe was simply doing the job that ESPN asked of him - you know that ESPN all but specifically instructs these commentators to employ a very hype-filled, "star"-centered style. And remember that Sharpe was fired from ESPN before, so he is probably making sure that he follows the ESPN game-plan to the letter in order to stay employed. I think more of the ire should have been directed toward ESPN for encouraging this unbalanced, puff-filled style. But, you know...let's scapegoat the black guy.

Before I go (and don't expect me to get into some drawn-out argument with you guys - I don't have the time or the energy) - I will leave you with something someone else wrote on another message board about Kansas City (and this happens to reference your favorite sportswriter Jason Whitlock):

"Well, in Whitlock's defense, he's a sportswriter for Kansas City Star and Kansas City is one of the most racist cities you ever want to drop anchor in. White folks still run shit here and they will constantly remind you of that..."

This statement is finally what prompted me to chime in with my thoughts. If latent racism is somehow behind the Sharpe reaction, then it needs to be sorted out and brought to light. Do you guys have problems with black people who are not running around on a football field in Chiefs' colors? Hmmm...

ChiefsFan4Life
10-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Joke of the year.

Phobia
10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
(and don't expect me to get into some drawn-out argument with you guys - I don't have the time or the energy)

In that case, we haven't the time nor the energy either.

Don't come drag dogshit throughout our home and leave.

Sully
10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
No... we hate white announcers who aren't prepared and ignore what actually happens on the field to promote a player over the actual game, too.

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 01:05 PM
ROFL

What a retard. He must be a whitey...

htismaqe
10-19-2005, 01:06 PM
No... we hate white announcers who aren't prepared and ignore what actually happens on the field to promote a player over the actual game, too.

Didn't you hear?

Randy Cross is black.