PDA

View Full Version : I ****ing hate David Glass!!!!

nychief
10-19-2005, 10:36 PM
sorry just had to get that off my chest.

siberian khatru
10-19-2005, 10:37 PM
He's friends with Drayton McClain. The closest Glass will ever get to a World Series.

WilliamTheIrish
10-19-2005, 10:40 PM
So do I.

I'm relegated to cheering for teams that remind of how the Royals used to be.

Pitt Gorilla
10-19-2005, 10:41 PM
He's friends with Drayton McClain. The closest Glass will ever get to a World Series.Hey, siberian. Where's my six of Unfiltered Wheat?

siberian khatru
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Hey, siberian. Where's my six of Unfiltered Wheat?

Wha ...?

nychief
10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
McClain worked UNDER Glass at WalWorld, they have similar net worths... one is cheap and one is smart and savy. Makes me sick. I miss winning, er, competitive baseball.

ChiefsCountry
10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
So do I.

I'm relegated to cheering for teams that remind of how the Royals used to be.

Or cheer for former Royals on playoff teams.

tk13
10-19-2005, 10:47 PM
McClain worked UNDER Glass at WalWorld, they have similar net worths... one is cheap and one is smart and savy. Makes me sick. I miss winning, er, competitive baseball.
Houston is the 4th or 5th biggest city in the country. KC is much farther down that list.

ChiefsCountry
10-19-2005, 10:47 PM

Actually he sold his grocery stores company to Wal-Mart. That is how they got SuperCenrers.

dirk digler
10-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Astros 2005 Payroll: $76,779,022
Royals 2005 Payroll: $36,881,000

WhiteSox 2005 Payroll: $75,228,000

Pitt Gorilla
10-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Wha ...?Never mind. It must have been someone else.

nychief
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Houston is the 4th or 5th biggest city in the country. KC is much farther down that list.

what does that have to do with it?

alnorth
10-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Nothing to people who think with emotion rather than that thing between their ears.

tk13
10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
That while it's fun that there are two teams who we've never seen in the Series really, that doesn't mean this is exactly a small market World Series. These are two of the 5 biggest cities in the country. If the roles were reversed you'd just be complaining about McClain and why can't he be more like that Glass guy...

ChiTown
10-19-2005, 11:02 PM

FUK

The only thing separating us from the WS is $40M.................

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:06 PM
FUK

The only thing separating us from the WS is $40M.................

and an intelligent GM. Baird isnt a total idiot, he's made a few good moves, but with the inherent disadvantages we have just by being Kansas City, we pretty much need a genious at the helm.

dirk digler
10-19-2005, 11:06 PM
2005 MLB Team Payrolls

Rank Team Total Payroll
1 New York Yankees $208,306,817
2 Boston Red Sox $123,505,125
3 New York Mets $101,305,821
4 Los Angeles Angels $97,725,322
5 Philadelphia Phillies $95,522,000
6 St. Louis Cardinals $92,106,833
7 San Francisco Giants $90,199,500
8 Seattle Mariners $87,754,334
9 Chicago Cubs $87,032,933
10 Atlanta Braves $86,457,302
11 Los Angeles Dodgers $83,039,000
12 Houston Astros $76,779,000
13 Chicago White Sox $75,178,000
14 Baltimore Orioles $73,914,333
15 Detroit Tigers $69,092,000
16 San Diego Padres $63,290,833
17 Arizona Diamondbacks $62,329,166
18 Cincinnati Reds $61,892,583
19 Florida Marlins $60,408,834
20 Minnesota Twins $56,186,000
21 Texas Rangers $55,849,000
22 Oakland Athletics $55,425,762
23 Washington Nationals $48,581,500
24 Colorado Rockies $48,155,000
25 Toronto Blue Jays $45,719,500
26 Cleveland Indians $41,502,500
27 Milwaukee Brewers $39,934,833
28 Pittsburgh Pirates $38,133,000
29 Kansas City Royals $36,881,000
30 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $29,363,067

beavis
10-19-2005, 11:08 PM
If only we would have signed Roger Clemens...

tk13
10-19-2005, 11:08 PM
That said, I would take the opportunity to point out how both of these teams are pretty much built through their farm system and non-big FA decisions mostly. :) The Astros do have Clemens and Pettite, but just about everybody else on that team they developed themselves. They let Beltran and Kent walk in the offseason, and guys like Ensberg and Taveras and Jason Lane stepped up and helped carry that offense after a horrible start. And the White Sox are more active in FA but most of them were kinda under the radar... Dye, Iguchi, Hermanson, Pierzynski, etc, etc. Traded a guy they developed in Lee for a 3rd year player in Podsednik, who added a whole new dimension to their team. Got guys like Buerhle and Garland to step up, Jenks, etc, etc...

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Dude, what would be the point of a $70 Mil payroll this year? We shipped out the old crusty veterans and brought up the young kids. This was widely regarded as a good move. When you play a bunch of kids, you will have a cheap payroll. If we didnt have a cheap payroll, that would mean that we idiotically abandoned a half-assed youth movement once again. If you go full-bore into a real youth movement, you are going to lose a lot of games for a few years, just like the Twins before they rose to power.

If the youth movement fails, Baird will be fired and it will be someone else's turn.

Want the Royals to sign high-profile free agents? Stop bitching about Glass and start demanding a cap and serious revenue sharing, even if it means a long strike.

beavis
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Dude, what would be the point of a $70 Mil payroll this year? We shipped out the old crusty veterans and brought up the young kids. This was widely regarded as a good move. When you play a bunch of kids, you will have a cheap payroll. If we didnt have a cheap payroll, that would mean that we idiotically abandoned a half-assed youth movement once again. If you go full-bore into a real youth movement, you are going to lose a lot of games for a few years, just like the Twins before they rose to power.
My only fear is Baird will sign more Santiago, Gonzalez, Lima types this offseason. If he does that, I'll start losing my patience with him.

dirk digler

If the youth movement fails, Baird will be fired and it will be someone else's turn.

Want the Royals to sign high-profile free agents? Stop bitching about Glass and start demanding a cap and serious revenue sharing, even if it means a long strike.

The problem is our drafts pretty much suck ass.

ChiTown

Who are you talking to?

tk13
10-19-2005, 11:13 PM
My only fear is Baird will sign more Santiago, Gonzalez, Lima types this offseason. If he does that, I'll start losing my patience with him.
Actually from everything I've read, I think Baird wants to avoid that, he doesn't think this team will be ready to contend truly until 07... and I'm more afraid Glass is going to cave from fan pressure and force him to spend money...

ChiTown
10-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Actually from everything I've read, I think Baird wants to avoid that, and I'm more afraid Glass is going to cave from fan pressure and force him to...

Fan pressure? Doubtful. He'd have to find a few fans first........;)

tk13
10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
:) Yeah yeah, you'd be surprised how many people there are over on the fan forum on the official website who throw hissy fits and mail Glass and company... blah blah blah blah blah... let him know what we want, blah blah blah blah.

beavis
Actually from everything I've read, I think Baird wants to avoid that, and I'm more afraid Glass is going to cave from fan pressure and force him to...
I'd be fine with him signing a starting pitcher to replace Lima or Anderson. It's fairly obvious that we need one. A second baseman would be nice too. But with Butler being so close, and Gordon shifting to first in the fall league, I gotta think at least one of those guys will be in KC at some point next year. Hopefully Huber will be starting a first too. Theoretically, that's a couple of nice bats added to the lineup. I know it won't happen, but I'd take a case of Natty for Berroa at this point.

dirk digler
Actually from everything I've read, I think Baird wants to avoid that, he doesn't think this team will be ready to contend truly until 07... and I'm more afraid Glass is going to cave from fan pressure and force him to spend money...

Glass said repeatedly in all of his interviews that expects the team to contend next season.

tk13
10-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Glass said repeatedly in all of his interviews that expects the team to contend next season.
Yes, I know. Don't remind me.

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Who are you talking to?

Hmmm, not sure actually... some conceptual angry disillusioned Royals fan somewhere out there... or maybe the topic starter.

Someone out there will step up to fill the role with a bunch of angry rants against Glass, claiming that I'm a sheep, etc etc, just give it time.

beavis
This town is crawling with baseball fans dying for a winner. 2003 was enough proof of that for me. We were barely .500 and there were 30k+ at the K on the weekends.

ChiTown

Contend for what? Seriously, they should consider it a VERY good year if they get 75 wins. This team (especially the starting pitching) is not even close to being ready to contend.

beavis
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Contend for what? Seriously, they should consider it a VERY good year if they get 75 wins. This team (especially the starting pitching) is not even close to being ready to contend.
If we got 75 wins with the core of players they have now, I'd consider it a huge step in the right direction.

nychief
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Nothing to people who think with emotion rather than that thing between their ears.

Did you get that off a motivational poster? Hey Spock, emotion is part of sports fanhood.

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:23 PM

He's smoking the wrong kind of cigarettes. I plan to support the Royals at a few games next year pretty much out of loyalty and the ballpark is fun in small doses even when your losing... but I'll tell you right now, we will not win jack s**t next year. Give us an extra $60M and let us go nuts in the open market and well still not compete in '06, we have too many holes and/or are underdeveloped with players trying to learn how to play baseball in the majors instead of AAA.

Forget the division, thats not even a topic of discussion next year. I am just hoping to see a few young players put it together next year and figure out how to play this game, because this year was more than a little depressing for anyone hoping to see improvement in the new guys.

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Did you get that off a motivational poster? Hey Spock, emotion is part of sports fanhood.

Thats great and all to yell at the sports bar, but it doesnt make your comments about Glass any more accurate.

ChiTown
10-19-2005, 11:24 PM
This town is crawling with baseball fans dying for a winner. 2003 was enough proof of that for me. We were barely .500 and there were 30k+ at the K on the weekends.

I know. I was just kidding. Believe me, I could be persuaded to get season tickets if they showed me they were serious about baseball, and I'm 200 miles away from the K. As it is, I avg about 10 games per year already.

My problem is that I grew up with the 70's Royals. I can't get that vision of productive hitting, great baserunning, solid pitching and good to great defense out of my head.

nychief
10-19-2005, 11:28 PM

Baird should be fired anyway. Hundsucker (sp?) is available and has a track record of developing young players. Baird has used money in terrible ways (albie lopez? ) and drafted poorly, AND has shit the bed with his biggest chips (the Dye trade? - will save judgment on Beltan - but a .240 hitting third baseman and a .230 hitting catcher don't turn me on). I don't see anything to encourage me about Allard, I never thought I would miss ****ing Herk Robinson.....

Cochise
10-19-2005, 11:29 PM
I know. I was just kidding. Believe me, I could be persuaded to get season tickets if they showed me they were serious about baseball, and I'm 200 miles away from the K. As it is, I avg about 10 games per year already.

My problem is that I grew up with the 70's Royals. I can't get that vision of productive hitting, great baserunning, solid pitching and good to great defense out of my head.

If only you'd grown up with the late 80s and on. You'd only have images of swinging at balls in the dirt, pitchers with whiplash, and balls dropping between outfielders dancing in your head :shake:

nychief
10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Thats great and all to yell at the sports bar, but it doesnt make your comments about Glass any more accurate.

Glass has shown no faith in the Kansas City market, or fans. He dosn't believe that he can EVER draw 2 million so he sits on his hands, takes other owners money, and hopes to break even with his little toy. Regardless of the quality of the team. Then his nitwit son is the president, that guy screams "baseball man."

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Baird should be fired anyway. Hundsucker (sp?) is available and has a track record of developing young players. Baird has used money in terrible ways (albie lopez? ) and drafted poorly, AND has shit the bed with his biggest chips (the Dye trade? - will save judgment on Beltan - but a .240 hitting third baseman and a .230 hitting catcher don't turn me on). I don't see anything to encourage me about Allard, I never thought I would miss ****ing Herk Robinson.....

I wouldnt shed a tear if Baird were canned. He hasnt been hideous, but even an average GM would not be enough for us. We need a genious, and his name is not Baird. It's pretty clear that Baird will not be axed untill the current youth movement is proven a failure, so I'd say he's probably got a couple years left to hang himself or give us a reason to be excited.

dirk digler
10-19-2005, 11:31 PM

His words not mine.

nychief
10-19-2005, 11:32 PM
good night and go royals in 2006. sigh!

alnorth
10-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Glass has shown no faith in the Kansas City market, or fans. He dosn't believe that he can EVER draw 2 million so he sits on his hands, takes other owners money, and hopes to break even with his little toy. Regardless of the quality of the team. Then his nitwit son is the president, that guy screams "baseball man."

You say that as if selling out the K every single game for the entire season would make one damned bit of difference to the Royals.

It would help a little, but not very damned much. The money is in the TV deals, MLB does not negotiate a big national contract to split out like the NFL, and there are not a whole hell of a lot of TV sets in KC, so we get nothing in television revenues and never will unless we have serious revenue sharing.

ChiTown
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
If we got 75 wins with the core of players they have now, I'd consider it a huge step in the right direction.

This team needs starting pitching, in the worst way. Without more CONSISTENT production from the starting rotation, we are staring straight down the barrel of another 100 loss season.

Cochise
10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
This team needs starting pitching, in the worst way. Without more CONSISTENT production from the starting rotation, we are staring straight down the barrel of another 100 loss season.

I don't think we have anybody who belongs in a contending team's rotation. Maybe a 4 or 5... not even sure about that.

beavis
10-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Glass has shown no faith in the Kansas City market, or fans.
How in the hell can you say that with a straight face?

beavis
10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
It's pretty obvious to me that something is broken in our farm system. We can't have this many pitchers go through without returning one quality starter, or even someone that can stay health for more than half the year. Hell, look at Greinke. I didn't think it was possible to screw that kid up, and look what they've done to him. I really like Hernandez, but he needs to be more consistent. If Affeldt had shown any kind of ability to make it past May, I'd say he'd belong in the rotation too. Aside from that, I don't think there's much there.

ChiTown
10-19-2005, 11:46 PM
I don't think we have anybody who belongs in a contending team's rotation. Maybe a 4 or 5... not even sure about that.

Hernandez would be a 4 on a few conteders, but you are correct. Our starting staff stinks. Greinke is so F'd up in the head right now. He doesn't know whether to take a shit, or wind his wrist watch.

The only REAL desirable thing we have in our pitching staff is a very efficient 7-8-9 unit in Burgos, Sisco & MacDougal. Our problem is that we can't deliver them a lead going into the 7th more than about 4 games out of every 10.

tk13
10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm completely on my own island here, but I think Greinke will be fine. I'm just not worried about him. When I saw him pitch late in the season he looked more like normal Zack, which sounds weird coming from a 2nd year player, but he looked like the guy who was a stud rookie and top 10 in ERA early this year. I'm not sure if this was the reason, but I watched him pitch in person in July or so, and he was throwing his fastball in the mid 90's consistently. When I saw him pitch a game against the White Sox on TV in September, he was back to throwing in mainly in the high 80's, and then working in pitches between the mid 80's/mid 90's. Not surprisingly, he pitched much better in that September game. Actually he pitched well the entire month of September up until that very last start.

ChiefsCountry
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Baird needs to read Moneyball. :) Actually that is one good book.

Now back to the Royals, we could have had a payroll similar to the Astros this season if we could have kept our stars instead of trading them.

Lineup
LF - Johnny Damon
3B - Joe Randa
1B - Mike Sweeney
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Jermaine Dye
DH - Raul Ibanez
C - Greg Zaun
SS - Tony Graffino
2B - Mark Ellis

Pitching Rotation
Zach Greinke
Runyleys Hernandez
Paul Byrd
Glendon Rusch
Jeff Suppan

Setup
Jeremy Affelt
Mike MacDougal

Closer
Miguel Batasita

Take would have been a pretty darn good team, all of those guys we have had since 2000 other than Rusch. Playoffs could have been a real possibility. I dont know about the pitching but I think it could have done the trick.

tk13
10-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Rusch and Suppan were terrible, horrendous. :shake:

beavis
10-20-2005, 12:36 AM

Now back to the Royals, we could have had a payroll similar to the Astros this season if we could have kept our stars instead of trading them.

Lineup
LF - Johnny Damon
3B - Joe Randa
1B - Mike Sweeney
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Jermaine Dye
DH - Raul Ibanez
C - Greg Zaun
SS - Tony Graffino
2B - Mark Ellis

Pitching Rotation
Zach Greinke
Runyleys Hernandez
Paul Byrd
Glendon Rusch
Jeff Suppan

Setup
Jeremy Affelt
Mike MacDougal

Closer
Miguel Batasita

Take would have been a pretty darn good team, all of those guys we have had since 2000 other than Rusch. Playoffs could have been a real possibility. I dont know about the pitching but I think it could have done the trick.
If that would have happened, I'm positive there would be a thread just like this one with people screaming about how we stood pat and didn't add anyone. I don't think they can do anything right by some people.

ChiefsCountry
10-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Very true, I would probally be griping about not getting a #1 stud pitcher.

Demonpenz
10-20-2005, 12:42 AM
royals have alot of arms in the bullpen. Hopefully we go out and get brian giles. I still love the royals

HemiEd
10-20-2005, 01:13 AM
sorry just had to get that off my chest.

yep

KChiefs1
10-20-2005, 08:18 AM

Where do the White Sox & Astros rank in the MLB salary? I know the Yankees are always #1...but where are the White Sox & Astros?

Extra Point
10-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah, by definition only. The worst move and indicator of the full turn for the worse, was Gonzalez for Ibanez. That proved without doubt that Baird is useless as a GM. It's not payroll that's at issue: it's performance, in the office and on the field, in that order.

Buddy Bell over Frank White? :shake:

BigRedChief
10-20-2005, 09:24 AM

Lineup
LF - Johnny Damon
3B - Joe Randa
1B - Mike Sweeney
CF - Carlos Beltran
RF - Jermaine Dye
DH - Raul Ibanez
C - Greg Zaun
SS - Tony Graffino
2B - Mark Ellis

Pitching Rotation
Zach Greinke
Runyleys Hernandez
Paul Byrd
Glendon Rusch
Jeff Suppan

Setup
Jeremy Affelt
Mike MacDougal

Closer
Miguel Batasita

Still couldn't take my Cardinals. :p

Extra Point
10-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Still couldn't take my Cardinals. :p

Not if the league brought Deckinger out of retirement....

beavis
10-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Where do the White Sox & Astros rank in the MLB salary? I know the Yankees are always #1...but where are the White Sox & Astros?
12 Houston Astros $76,779,000
13 Chicago White Sox $75,178,000

Might try reading the thread. Just a thought.

Predarat
10-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Go to a youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. What a great strategy by your Kansas City Royals!!

shakesthecat
10-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Go to a youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. When they get good trade them away for prospects and another youth movement. What a great strategy by your Kansas City Royals!!

Yeah, but you have to admit they're consistent.

HemiEd
10-20-2005, 10:30 AM

Pretty much nailed it.