Saulbadguy
10-20-2005, 07:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12946705.htm/

Posted on Thu, Oct. 20, 2005
Snyder defends program

Coach proud of achievements at MU

By MIKE DeARMOND

The Kansas City Star

DALLAS — The worst three years of Quin Snyder’s life burst forth in a sometimes profane and at all times passionate explosion.

“They may can my ass,” Snyder told a small group of reporters at the back of a hotel ballroom at the Big 12 Conference basketball media days on Wednesday morning. “But you know what? I’ll feel good about what I’ve done. I’ll feel great about what I’ve done at Missouri.”

Snyder guided the Tigers to four straight NCAA Tournaments in his first four years as Missouri’s head coach. The Tigers have been eliminated in the first round of the postseason NIT in each of the last two years. Missouri is one year into a two-year NCAA probation that grew largely out of the recruitment, suspension, and ouster of guard Ricky Clemons.

“I regret the quote-unquote investigation,” Snyder said. “But you know what? We haven’t had a violation in three years. I don’t need to talk about that any more.”

He then proceeded to do so, noting that Missouri was not found guilty of academic fraud nor of paying Clemons or any other player.

“I’m glad that the violations that were originally reported — things like academic fraud — were never found, were far from found,” Snyder said.

What MU was found guilty of was not reporting a meal given to Clemons in the Snyder home. And, as MU had previously acknowledged, the coaching staff made too many telephone calls and contacts with potential recruits.

“We’ve got more education than anybody in the country right now,” Snyder said. “That’s why I’ve got a full-time attorney on staff that I pay out of my pocket who comes in and interviews our players and our staff quarterly. So that this stuff never happens again.”

MU coaches were banned from off-campus recruiting for the last year, a penalty that runs out on Nov. 3.

“I can’t wait to get back out in November,” Snyder said. “I think we can recruit with anybody in the country.”

Snyder, who has verbal commitments from Newark, N.J., high school guard Keon Lawrence and Redlands (Okla.) Community College forward Ty Morrison for his 2006 class, said he has still attracted high-level recruits even with the sanctions.

“It’s not like players don’t want to come,” Snyder said. “I always gauge programs by who they can attract. We’ve been off the road for a year and we’re signing high-level players.”

Missouri will forfeit two scholarships this season and one next season to fulfill the NCAA penalty. But Snyder’s contention is that the biggest fight will be rebuilding his and the program’s sullied reputation.

“Beyond it never happening again, it’s being beyond the perception of reproach,” Snyder said. “Where you’re able to defend yourself against innuendo as much as anything that’s hard and fast.”

What caused Snyder’s outburst seemed to be his anticipation that he was going to have to answer more questions about his job security heading into his seventh season as Missouri’s head coach. Last season Missouri finished under .500 for the first time under Snyder, at 16-17.

The general speculation has been that the Tigers might need to make the NCAA Tournament this season to save Snyder’s job.

In light of Snyder broaching the possibility that he could be fired, MU athletic director Mike Alden on Wednesday wouldn’t confirm that in a telephone interview from Columbia with The Star.

“I don’t know why Quin would make that comment,” Alden said. “We continue to think he’s doing a good job.”

That is less than a ringing endorsement, but Alden said he had been supportive of Snyder throughout the last three years of turmoil.

“I think Mizzou has,” Alden said. “I think I have. We’re all trying to work together as a team.”

Snyder clearly doesn’t feel the breadth of that support.

“I took a lot of heat,” Snyder said. “We took a lot of heat.”

Snyder said that his strong feelings came from “some of the clarity that comes from having everybody say ‘You’ve gotta do this, you’ve gotta do that.’

“When you look back at the numbers, there are teams in our league that would take six straight postseason berths. They’d take an Elite Eight. They’d take four NCAA Tournaments. They’d take it.”

As for prospects for this year’s team — picked eighth by the Big 12 coaches in their preseason poll — Snyder was upbeat.

“We’re going to have a good year,” he said. “I’m going to be loose. My team’s going to feed off that. We’re going to have fun.”

Thomas Gardner, MU’s top returning scorer, said the passion his coach displayed on Wednesday was nothing he had not seen regularly in practice sessions.

“A lot of people are coming down on Coach Q,” Gardner said. “A lot of exterior things are going down. But Coach Q has been the same guy. At times he wants to win more than we want to win. If he wasn’t intense, we’d know something was wrong.”

Another observer with an insightful point of view is Oklahoma State assistant James Dickey, who was Texas Tech’s head coach during 1991-2001 before NCAA violations led to his ouster.

“All of a sudden you’ve got this one constant theme that is questioning your integrity, questioning your program,” Dickey said. “You have to start building that program back to where you want it. Or, you have to try.”

Dickey never got that chance.

Snyder contends he’s done worrying about whether he will.

“I’m beyond that stuff,” he said.

AeroSquid
10-20-2005, 07:38 AM
word around the watercooler is he was in rehab this summer.

|Zach|
10-20-2005, 07:43 AM
I am excited for the season!

ROYC75
10-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I like Quinn, I hope he stays at MU.

Extra Point
10-20-2005, 08:01 AM
YAWN!!!

beavis
10-20-2005, 08:10 AM
word around the watercooler is he was in rehab this summer.
Yeah, he was supposedly banging Kleiza's girlfriend too.

Rumors, as we all know, are always true. :rolleyes:

Kyle401
10-20-2005, 08:14 AM
“I always gauge programs by who they can attract. We’ve been off the road for a year and we’re signing high-level players.”

This is Quinn's biggest problem. A recruiting class is only as good as they perform on the basketball court. A good coach can recruit high level players, but a great coach has to develop them and help them play up to their potential. Quinn's teams seem to play below expectations too often.

milehighfan
10-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Quinn sucks! He'd find a way to lose even if you had Michael Jordan in his prime. He can't get players to play, recruiting a non-factor.

gblowfish
10-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah, he was supposedly banging Kleiza's girlfriend too.

Rumors, as we all know, are always true. :rolleyes:I heard he was doing Paige Laurie. He gets around. Must be the hair.

ROYC75
10-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Quinn sucks! He'd find a way to lose even if you had Michael Jordan in his prime. He can't get players to play, recruiting a non-factor.

All the more reasons why he needs to stay at MU . MU and Snyder are a perfect fit.

RP_McMurphy
10-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Truth is he should have never been hired. Nothing on his resume suggested he was ready for a high level college basketball program. Since he has taken over he has shown he was not ready.

He should have started at a mid-major and worked the kinks out and then moved up to a bigger job. By taking the Mizzou job he has set himself back.

Saulbadguy
10-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Truth is he should have never been hired. Nothing on his resume suggested he was ready for a high level college basketball program. Since he has taken over he has shown he was not ready.

He should have started at a mid-major and worked the kinks out and then moved up to a bigger job. By taking the Mizzou job he has set himself back.
Since when has Mizzou been a high level college basketball program?

RP_McMurphy
10-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Not high level as in Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina or Indiana but still in the upper 50 of college basketball programs.

Saulbadguy
10-20-2005, 09:17 AM
#38, according to Street & Smith's. I'll spot ya that one I suppose.

KChiefs1
10-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Where's KSU on that list?

Saulbadguy
10-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Where's KSU on that list?

http://athensohio.net/sports/basketball/100-greatest/

ROYC75
10-20-2005, 09:22 AM
When Quinn was hired, it was because of Coach K. But clearly Quinn was NRFPT. ( Not Ready For Prime Time )

Cochise
10-20-2005, 09:23 AM
On paper he doesn't sound so bad. 4 tournament appearances out of 6 years. One elite 8 appearance, first 12 seed ever to make it that far. That's not too bad. I don't care abotu winning the conference or anything, to me the regular season's objective is to put yourself in a seed position to make a run in the tournament. We usually end up with our work cut out for us in that area though.

It just kills me that we had the most talented team maybe ever here - with johnson, rush, all those guys, and they all got away without really doing much of anything. That's on Snyder. He didn't tank with those players, but he didn't accomplish anything big either.

Mediocre describes his run at Mizzou well I think. Not horrid, but just mediocre.

I think he deserves his chance to turn this program around now that we won't be hamstrung because of f#cking Clemons anymore. But I hope he doesn't end up with a lifetime appointment regardless of mindblowing futlity like... well Wooldridge or something (no disrespect mildcat fans)

Missouri is a good basketball job, we could get a good coach in here. We shouldn't have to settle for an average one.

Saulbadguy
10-20-2005, 09:26 AM
It's good, not great. They have the pull to get a good coach. They (and K-State) dicked the dog last year by passing on quite a few good coaches out of the mid-major ranks.

I just can't believe the 2003 collapse with all that talent.

Cochise
10-20-2005, 09:36 AM
It's good, not great. They have the pull to get a good coach. They (and K-State) dicked the dog last year by passing on quite a few good coaches out of the mid-major ranks.

I just can't believe the 2003 collapse with all that talent.

That's just how it goes, I mean Kansas stepped on their meat bigger than life in the tournament last year and no one wants Self's head. Sometimes you just dont get it done one year, that's how sports goes.

Speaking of Self, some of the KU fans I know don't really regard him as a superior coach either... they hate the way he utilized his players last year and the in-game coaching aspects of his work, but think he can pull in a lot of talent. A lot of "wait until he's playing with his own players" and such. Eerily similar to what you hear/heard from MU fans about our coach.

I can see 10 years down the road Snyder might be one of the better coaches in the college ranks. Roy's 'not ready for prime time' statement is correct I think.

But where does that leave us now? Wait around while he hopefully matures? Start over with someone else?