PDA

View Full Version : Playing with one day of preparation

B_Ambuehl
10-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Teams don't really start installing game plans until Wednesday of each week and since we're probably flying out today (Thursday) that gives us exactly one day of preparation.

Saban has got to be licking his lips. A gimmick friendly offense against a bunch of dumbasses on defense with no time to prepare. Their defense will be less prepared as well but at least they have a lot of old veterans.

What do you guys think?

Phobia
10-20-2005, 11:01 AM
I think it's not an excuse. The dolphins have one day, too. Plus they have the hurricane to deal with after the game.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-20-2005, 11:01 AM
I think I like it... not a lot of time means smash mouth. Just line up and play, see who's better.

DaFace
10-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I like it, if for no other reason than it gives us a couple extra days of recovery time before the Chargers game.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-20-2005, 11:05 AM
If we lose, DV will use it as an excuse.

ChiefsOne
10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
They had the bye week, could have been preparing along!
No excuses, just win the damn game.

Mr. Kotter
10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Let's play.

No excuses.

Andoverer
10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I think it's not an excuse. The dolphins have one day, too. Plus they have the hurricane to deal with after the game.

Although I think it's ridiculous that the game is being played there before some perilous weather arrives, all our team has to worry about is catching a plane right after the game. Their guys have to get their families and prized possesions out of harms way. It could be a very difficult set of circumstances they have to overcome to play at a high level. Hope that Miami winning streak comes to a screeching halt.

DaFace
10-20-2005, 11:12 AM

Heh. He'll find a way to use it as an excuse if we lose the Chargers game, too.

Iowanian
10-20-2005, 11:13 AM
both teams are equally affected by the move.

In Miami's case, they are implementing Ricky Williams, who has been suspended, into their scheme. This allows them less time to prepare and get him back into the swing of things also.

Truthfully....maybe a short week won't allow the Chiefs coaches to get "too cute" or out-think themselves.

Personally...I hope the Dolphin players and coaches are too busy worrying about covering their Coy Ponds, to worry about Covering Eddie and 88. beating Miami is HUGE for the Chiefs, with post season considerations, since they beat Denver.

Calcountry
10-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Attendance might be low as well. Some of the fans might be to busy trying to board up and move out as well.

Seek
10-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Teams don't really start installing game plans until Wednesday of each week and since we're probably flying out today (Thursday) that gives us exactly one day of preparation.

Saban has got to be licking his lips. A gimmick friendly offense against a bunch of dumbasses on defense with no time to prepare. Their defense will be less prepared as well but at least they have a lot of old veterans.

What do you guys think?

I think, that the Chiefs actually start preparing two weeks in advance. I have heard players say it many times. So I don't think they have only one day to prepare. Besides we have two ex Dophins on this team. They probably know what to excpect from their old team mate. their strengths and weaknesses.

Plus most of their game plan is more mental. They will just use the plane ride there as a planning meeting.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Friday
mostly cloudy with showers. Southwest winds 10 to 15. rain 60% high upper 80s

Friday night
mostly cloudy with showers. Southwest winds 10 to 15. rain 60% low mid 70s

TRR
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
A Friday game may mean no Jason Taylor, and no Junior Seau. Both missed most/all of practice on Wednesday, and weren't scheduled to be re-evaluated until Wednesday or today.

chief52
10-20-2005, 11:25 AM

What do you guys think?

Just play the damn game. The Chiefs are in no way at a disadvantage. They have known all along that this was a possibility. They both have the short week and the Dolphin players have to prepare for what could be a catastrophic event. I would much rather have to fly in and out than worry about prepping my house and getting my family out of there.

Hey, it is a hurricane. The NFL is dealing with it in the best way they can IMO.

B_Ambuehl
10-20-2005, 11:27 AM
A few things miami won't have to contend with:

getting your shit together for the flight- 4 hours
telling everbody bye- 2 hours
making sure you didn't forget anything- 1 hour
having a bunch of robotic ****tards pat you down, question you, and make sure you're not a terrorist- 1 hour
flying- 2-3 hours
getting off the fight and to the hotel- 1 hour
eating- 2 hours

Total game prep time lost- 12-13 hours

:)

Miamia runs a different system now so Surtain and Knight won't help much. Yeah DV will have a good excuse here fo' sure. The one positive is it almost gives you another bi week before you have to face Marty.

sedated
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Their defense needs more time to prepare for our offense than normal offenses.

We have the advantage - Al can just go do his thing, Dolphins won't be prepared.

sedated
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
That's all stuff they do for any road game...how are they losing more time than usual?

Mr. Laz
10-20-2005, 11:31 AM

when does he not?! :shrug:

chief52
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
That's all stuff they do for any road game...how are they losing more time than usual?

Exactly. These guys can be prepared to fly out in minutes. It is what they do...

B_Ambuehl
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
The lost time just represents a significantly greater percentage of total prep time then normal. For a Sunday game, both the home and road team finish their prep before the road team flyes out on Saturday. But here, if you only have, say, 26 hours total prep time (10 hours on Wednesday, 10 hours on Thursday, 6 hours on Friday), that lost 12-13 hours makes a bigger difference.

jynni
10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
It's not as bad as when the NFL schedules teams to play on Monday night and then Thursday. That happened to Dallas a few years ago I think.

Don't the Fins have the same D-coordinator? There scheme might not've changed too much from last year.

chagrin
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Saban has got to be licking his lips,,,What do you guys think?

I think he'll be licking his lips, but it will be out of his own vanity than strategic planning.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Weather forecast for Miami, Friday, October 21

86 degrees, 60% chance of rain.

I hope the Chiefs have the run game working. Gonna be a wet, maul ball clash.

Katipan
10-20-2005, 11:47 AM
We have Surtain and Knight a year out of the Miami system.

No advantages. It's a wash.

The Rick
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Don't the Fins have the same D-coordinator? There scheme might not've changed too much from last year.
Nope, he's now the D-coordinator up here in Green Bay. Living in Lombardi Land, it's hard for me not to have a wealth of knowledge on what's happening when it comes to the Packers. :rolleyes:

StcChief
10-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Just play the damn game. The Chiefs are in no way at a disadvantage. They have known all along that this was a possibility. They both have the short week and the Dolphin players have to prepare for what could be a catastrophic event. I would much rather have to fly in and out than worry about prepping my house and getting my family out of there.

Hey, it is a hurricane. The NFL is dealing with it in the best way they can IMO.

NFL is dealing with it and still keeping a home game for Miami.

Best is a matter of opinion.

Any predications on crowd size.....

kregger
10-20-2005, 12:06 PM
latest itinerary..Fly out Friday AM, play a game, Fly back Friday night.

chief52
10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
NFL is dealing with it and still keeping a home game for Miami.

Best is a matter of opinion.

Any predications on crowd size.....

Given the circumstances what would have been a better alternative? I do not think moving it to Atlanta or KC would have been fair to the Dolphins and their fans. I think this was the best of a bad situation. Yes, there would have been more fans in KC, but that would not have been fair.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-20-2005, 12:12 PM
latest itinerary..Fly out Friday AM, play a game, Fly back Friday night.

players don't have to worry about the distraction of friends & family members tagging along for a trip/vacation to sunny Miami. I remember the 49ers getting the excuse, when they got trounced by KC, was it was seen as a "shopping" trip :rolleyes:

RP_McMurphy
10-20-2005, 12:19 PM
I know this is unpopular but we have had indications since Monday or Tuesday that Wilma would affect the game.

Should Vermeil have said forget Victory Monday and plan for the worst case scenario of a moved up ballgame?