PDA

View Full Version : Can the old fashioned satellite dishes from the '70;s - 80's get the game?

Mojo Rising
10-20-2005, 08:29 PM
For pre-season games I sometimes have to go to the local sports bar that has an old fashioned dish to see the game. They tune into either the KC or other teams feed and show the game (minus commercials and sometimes catch the commentators conversations during commercials.)

I called 2 of the local sports bars and got the same reply. Won't know until game time. They said they get some pre-season games but not all.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how these systems work and tips that I can go to the sports bar armed with tomorrow?

Nzoner
10-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I still have a C-band dish and all I can tell you is they are right,you won't know until tomorrow.They'll have to call up each satellite and surf the channels.

FWIW,I got alot of pre-season games this year so you may be onto something,good luck.

ENDelt260
10-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Michael Michigan is the guy to ask.

At least, he always seems to be the guy on here posting how to tune in the pre-season games.

redhed
10-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Heh. Back in the day my pops put in one of those giant m/fs in our b/y. Sucker was easily 20'. I remember seeing the network direct feeds, and I once saw a commentater (pretty sure it was Dierdorf) digging in the 'ol fleshy booger vault. It was also great not having the commercials.
That, and non-scrambled Playboy channel.
Good times...
:D

Mojo Rising
10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
It's my only chance to catch the game. I am glad that the WS starts Sat., NBA is pre-season & there will be limited college football action. No competition at 4 PM at the local sports bar.

Directv just gave me a $25 so at least I have a head start on my $50 bar tab.

Michael Michigan
10-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Michael Michigan is the guy to ask.

At least, he always seems to be the guy on here posting how to tune in the pre-season games.

Okay - with the same situation last year it appears the only wild feed that came out of the stadium was a MPEG Hi-Def feed.

Miami vs Tennessee

Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:47 am

IA6(T6) 4180 / 32360
501 / 505 /501
4:2:0 HD

That doesn't exactly mean it will be the same this year.

But if it is this way - it will have to be a sports bar with high end C-Band equipment.

Call around - I'm sure some still have it as a lot of feeds are now on MPEG Digital.

I will post any feed I can find as soon as I see it.

Mojo Rising
10-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Does that mean they have to have hi-def tv's? If I call and ask is it called an MPEG receiver? How recently would they have had to buy this type of tuner?

Thanks for the info. It is helpful when calling 3 local sports bars who all say that you have to show up and they will know at gametime.

ILWarpaint
10-20-2005, 09:58 PM
What about one of those "free to air" reciever thingys? I think it's called the blackbird or something.

Michael Michigan
10-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Does that mean they have to have hi-def tv's? If I call and ask is it called an MPEG receiver? How recently would they have had to buy this type of tuner?

Thanks for the info. It is helpful when calling 3 local sports bars who all say that you have to show up and they will know at gametime.

I'll be in my office by 2:00pm Pacific Time and begin searching and I have a friend that is a C-Band/Ku/MPEG freak that will look as well.

As soon as I get the coordinates - if there are any - I will post them.

That way anyone can call and just ask the bar to try and tune it in.

ENDelt260
10-21-2005, 01:32 AM
How's about I just come to your house and watch the game? I'll bring the beer, hookers, and coke.

Mojo Rising
10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
I'll be in my office by 2:00pm Pacific Time and begin searching and I have a friend that is a C-Band/Ku/MPEG freak that will look as well.

As soon as I get the coordinates - if there are any - I will post them.

That way anyone can call and just ask the bar to try and tune it in.

How soon before kickoff will they be able to tell if they can pull down the signal?

kepp
10-21-2005, 08:52 AM
How soon before kickoff will they be able to tell if they can pull down the signal?
My dad had an old-style dish and had great fun with those live feeds. He said that during "TV timeouts" the cameramen focus on women in the stands an the commentators talk about them.

Anyway, from what I remember, the feed usually starts about 1/2 hour before the actual broadcast is supposed to begin. Its been several years since we watched one of the live feeds together though, so I may be off on that. Anyone else?

Nzoner
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Sounds like MM is the man here,like I said before I still have my C-band active because I have to watch MNF on a wild feed thanks to DTV not offering local channels in my area yet.

Scaga
10-21-2005, 01:31 PM
We need to keep this near the top...
I'm guessing this (being out-of-towners) is our best bet.

Anyone here in Wichita know if Tanner's has this type of equipment?
They've been around longer than anyone else, I'd think they would have it before anyone else here.

saraed001
10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
bump

DaKCMan AP
10-21-2005, 04:06 PM
dump, i mean bump

Michael Michigan
10-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Okay - I'm in my office searching...

RINGLEADER
10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Heh. Back in the day my pops put in one of those giant m/fs in our b/y. Sucker was easily 20'. I remember seeing the network direct feeds, and I once saw a commentater (pretty sure it was Dierdorf) digging in the 'ol fleshy booger vault. It was also great not having the commercials.
That, and non-scrambled Playboy channel.
Good times...
:D

My favorite was watching Dan Rather during Gulf War 1 do his deadpan delivery then, at the commercial break, turn around and start yelling at the military liaison with him to get the fighter pilots to quit taking off during his live segments.

Good times indeed...

Michael Michigan
10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
My favorite was watching Dan Rather during Gulf War 1 do his deadpan delivery then, at the commercial break, turn around and start yelling at the military liaison with him to get the fighter pilots to quit taking off during his live segments.

Good times indeed...

I remember when GHWB dropped in Japan. Live feed, freaked everyone out.

Skip Towne
10-21-2005, 04:51 PM
I remember watching an OU basketball game where Billy Tubbs' daughter was a cheerleader. The announcers were proclaiming how much they would like to pork her during one break. They didn't find out till later that the feed was still live. And yes, Tubbs found out about it.

Michael Michigan
10-21-2005, 05:15 PM
I just found the fuggin' raiders weekly recap show from Chokeland.

Nothing else yet.

Mojo Rising
10-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Did anyone find the feed? I did'nt. I hibernated until this morning and watched the replay on Sunday Ticket.

Mr. Kotter
12-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I just found the fuggin' raiders weekly recap show from Chokeland.

Nothing else yet.

R.I.P., Michael Michigan.....where have you gone? PM me....soon. :hmmm:

Guru
12-21-2007, 03:34 AM
Now this was an interesting bump to say the least.

Lzen
12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Has Mr. Kotter gone off the deep end?

Buck
12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I dont get why everyone was talking about the preseason in the middle of October...