PDA

View Full Version : Should large sigs be removed voluntarily by the members of the Planet?

BigRedChief
10-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Okay I've had one noob and one long timer complain about my sig so I didn't think it was a big deal to anyone since I've got 10 pos reps for it I figured the vast majority liked it. But am I wrong. Don't want to offend anyone here or rob their bandwidth over a sig.

The admins shouldn't dictate this but as a community we could voluntarily decide to remove large sigs. I think that would be okay, not a big imposition on free speech.

So vote. I will remove or let the sig stay based on the poll.

Kclee
10-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Are sig's like avatars where you can ignore just certin ones?

BigRedChief
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Are sig's like avatars where you can ignore just certin ones?

Yes, you can ignore sigs by checking a box in your profile.

Brock
10-21-2005, 08:58 AM
I use the At Work option to avoid the out of hand signatures on this board.......it's no big deal.

dirk digler
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. I think the avs and sigs are part of what makes this board interesting. It shows people's creativity IMO.

Sam
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Don't worry about it man. Leave it as is. I think it's one that I'd like to have.

dirk digler
10-21-2005, 09:03 AM
I just turned on the at work option so I guess I don't understand why people can't perform this simple function if they don't want to see large sigs.

shakesthecat
10-21-2005, 09:07 AM
What Brock said.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 09:09 AM
We do have a f**king rule that specifies allowable sig sizes.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=122326&highlight=size+rule

Earthling
10-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Hmmm..."Forced" to do something voluntarily..? Sounds like the Navy.

angel
10-21-2005, 09:11 AM
if anyone has a problem with large sigs, they can turn them off

if there wasn't an option to turn them off, I'd say get rid of it, but since it's very easy to turn them off, (even I can figure out how to do it) there's no reason for anyone to complain

leave your sig the way you want- it doesn't bother me- sigs haven't bothered me for a long time :)

Kclee
10-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Yes, you can ignore sigs by checking a box in your profile.

Right, but can he just ignore YOUR sig, or does he have to turn them all off? Because I know you don't have to turn off all avatars, you can ignore which ever ones you want.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 09:13 AM
I enjoy seeing some of them. A lot of people have some funny s**t in there. I don't want to have to deal with jackasses who have page and a half long sigs for no reason other than they are self-aggrandizing attention whores.

Adblock is a good friend.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Right, but can he just ignore YOUR sig, or does he have to turn them all off? Because I know you don't have to turn off all avatars, you can ignore which ever ones you want.
Sigs are all or nothing last I checked.

StcChief
10-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Video or moving sigs cause the most headaches for low speed users. I say low speeders, run with profile 'work' mode.

some are cool some are annoying. Personal taste.

Doesn't bother my DSL, could be my new graphics card? or work Dell

BigRedChief
10-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Hmmm..."Forced" to do something voluntarily..? Sounds like the Navy.Being a good member of the community sometimes means not doing what you want or think should be done but what the community thinks is best for the community. As Spock says....The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.;)

Bearcat
10-21-2005, 09:18 AM
The problem is it's all or nothing... I like seeing the signatures, but since a couple slow the computer down I have to ignore all of them? Hopefully one day the option is created to ignore signatures like avatars, so you can ignore certain ones.

That said, using IE, you can press the stop button and it helps.... and as it's been said, there's a function in Firefox to allow you to ignore certain pictures/ads.

Dartgod
10-21-2005, 09:20 AM
The problem is it's all or nothing... I like seeing the signatures, but since a couple slow the computer down I have to ignore all of them? Hopefully one day the option is created to ignore signatures like avatars, so you can ignore certain ones.You can leave sigs turned on, yet have the images show up as clickable links. That's what I use at work and would be a much better option for dial-up users.

See the attachment for how I set it up. Stay in Full Featured mode and make sure the Avatars and Attachments boxes are unchecked. Now you can see peoples sigs, but have to click a link to see the pictures in them. Likewise, for avatars, by default they will not show up, but you can click on the poster's profile button to view their avatar, if you desire.

Or you could just start a thread calling out a particular member and make an ass out of yourself.

HemiEd
10-21-2005, 09:24 AM
I get a kick out of some of them, it is another window of the person. They can be turned off if desired.

Iowanian
10-21-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm not a fan of large sigs and booby avatars.......glad I have the option to not see them.

Cochise
10-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I love the avatar ignore option. The lame booby avatars are not a good thing for at work. The sigs I just have turned off altogether. I wish it was possible to ignore an individual person's sig in the same way as avatars.

The rule should probably be the size of the file as well as the dimensions since screen space as well as scroll performance are both concerns.

Or, if you are going to have an animated GIF, maybe only allow one per person or something.

Mr. Kotter
10-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I enjoy seeing poster's sigs; yours does slow down scrolling on my computer, but....oh, well.

BRC, we can always shut-off the sigs. It's not a huge deal. Do whatever makes you happy, man. :thumb:

Iowanian
10-21-2005, 09:47 AM
We all bitch when the planet is down, or dragging...slow.

I can't imagine that large sigs, and animated gifs aren't contributing.

Sam
10-21-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm not a fan of large sigs and booby avatars.......glad I have the option to not see them.

No boobies???

Simplex3

:clap:

luv

The ones that really seem to slow it down are the animated ones.They're fun to watch, but they make scrolling up and down VERY annoying.

Cochise
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Since the planet isn't hosting those images, it shouldn't be slowing down the server itself. It would contribute for users with slower hardware though.

luv
No boobies???
There is a rule about that on the girlie pics thread, but I have seen nipples in avatars and such.

BigRedChief

Sigs are not the issue at all. The slowness and down time are correctable issues that are currently in process but not moving foward.

KcMizzou
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM
I chose "I don't care". Since we have the "at work" option, it's really a non-issue.

Iowanian
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
You all feel free to keep doing what you want....and I'll keep all of them turned off, to ignore the few I don't wish to see or deal with.

its not a big deal....I've not seen a sig or a av for a long time

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Where's the poll option for "Quit breaking the rules and learn to express yourself more succinctly"?

http://www.cyology.com/images/attention_whore.jpg

Goapics1
10-21-2005, 10:01 AM
I had to find a different one because Phobia said my thingy was too big and he could not get a handle on it. So he told me to put it away............oh well.

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
dont we already have enough stupid rules in the world?
If you dont like it dont look.

Taco John
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
It's funny that the starter of this thread has a sig larger than the allowable sig size...

angel
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
wow, this race is close

I'm excited to see how it ends...

my money's on "I don't care"

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:09 AM
dont we already have enough stupid rules in the world?
If you dont like it dont look.
I'd love to not look but some of the f**king things take up the entire screen. We have rules on maximum avatar size. Rules on maximum attachment size. Rules on acceptable amounts of nudity. Limits need to be set or a few dumbasses will get totally out of hand because they have the self-control of a two year old during a temper tantrum.

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd love to not look but some of the f**king things take up the entire screen. We have rules on maximum avatar size. Rules on maximum attachment size. Rules on acceptable amounts of nudity. Limits need to be set or a few dumbasses will get totally out of hand because they have the self-control of a two year old during a temper tantrum.

is it really a blip on your radar bro?
i dont think till it was brought up i ever even noticed or cared.

HemiEd
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
It's funny that the starter of this thread has a sig larger than the allowable sig size...

but it is so much more tolerable than yours. Do you find something about it offensive?

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
is it really a blip on your radar bro?
i dont think till it was brought up i ever even noticed or cared.
It's like it's become a one-ups-manship deal with some idiots around here. Eventually something has to be done because some of the attention whores around here can't control themselves.

BigRedChief
10-21-2005, 10:23 AM

I would think that having Beavis and Butthead as Donk fans would be disagreeable to you.

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:25 AM
It's like it's become a one-ups-manship deal with some idiots around here. Eventually something has to be done because some of the attention whores around here can't control themselves.

do you have a problem w/ mine?

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
do you have a problem w/ mine?
I don't know, I must have adblocked it. ROFL

Usually I adblock them after I see them a few times. Some of them are good enough that I leave them around for a while. What's yours a picture of again?

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I don't know, I must have adblocked it. ROFL

Usually I adblock them after I see them a few times. Some of them are good enough that I leave them around for a while. What's yours a picture of again?

some skinheads beating the shit outta some hippies in the late 70s early 80s.

Inspector
10-21-2005, 10:33 AM
if anyone has a problem with large sigs, they can turn them off

if there wasn't an option to turn them off, I'd say get rid of it, but since it's very easy to turn them off, (even I can figure out how to do it) there's no reason for anyone to complain

leave your sig the way you want- it doesn't bother me- sigs haven't bothered me for a long time :)

Hey - you stole my exact response!

You obviously are a very intelligent person.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Ahh. Nope, that one was withing the acceptable size limit. I just got bored watching it after a while. I block a lot of the animated gifs, though.

Inspector
10-21-2005, 10:37 AM
There is a rule about that on the girlie pics thread, but I have seen nipples in avatars and such.

mmmm...nipples....

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Ahh. Nope, that one was withing the acceptable size limit. I just got bored watching it after a while. I block a lot of the animated gifs, though.

how can you get tired of watching it?-
i can stare at it for hours-great set of pics.

-hows this for attention whore?-

the oldlady is going to the baby doc today...

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:41 AM
how can you get tired of watching it?-
i can stare at it for hours-great set of pics.

-hows this for attention whore?-

the oldlady is going to the baby doc today...
As you you might have knocked her up? Somehow the thought of you reproducing makes me nervous.

;)

TRR
10-21-2005, 10:44 AM
I like chick pics as much as the next guy, but it's gotten so bad that I can't scroll at work without being on the "at work" feature. And then I can't enjoy the NEW LOOK Chiefs Planet because of that.

Sam
10-21-2005, 10:44 AM

Can't say that I have a problem with it exactly, considering I am an old hippie. I did wonder just what it was, not enough to ask though. Reminds me of the days in Jr. high PE class when guys would pick on the mentally handicapped in dodgeball games or 60's southern white's beating up on the blacks. To each is own...

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
As you you might have knocked her up? Somehow the thought of you reproducing makes me nervous.

;)

yeah, i feel abit like doctor frankenstein.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Can't say that I have a problem with it exactly, considering I am an old hippie. I did wonder just what it was, not enough to ask though. Reminds me of the days in Jr. high PE class when guys would pick on the mentally handicapped in dodgeball games or 60's southern white's beating up on the blacks. To each is own...
Nobody cares what you think. Go take a hit and discover something in yourself, leave us alone you hippie.

:p

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:47 AM

like hippies and blacks never beat on anyone.
GTFU.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:48 AM
yeah, i feel abit like doctor frankenstein.
So is this a sure thing or are you waiting to find out?

Coach
10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I usually use the features to uncheck the sigs during game time. Other than that, I just leave it alone.

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 10:49 AM
So is this a sure thing or are you waiting to find out?

she took a HPT and it came up + and shes already been there donethat and has been sick ect. so she says its for sure.

going today to see howlong and if everything is cool.

Simplex3
10-21-2005, 10:51 AM
she took a HPT and it came up + and shes already been there donethat and has been sick ect. so she says its for sure.

going today to see howlong and if everything is cool.
Congrats man. Is this your first?

BigRedChief
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
like hippies and blacks never beat on anyone.
GTFU.

lets drop this. This ain't going to go anywhere but a bad place.

Braincase
10-21-2005, 10:57 AM

All I see are a group beating up on one poor bastard. 1 on 1 is a fight. 6 on 1 is cowardice.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-21-2005, 11:06 AM
I have high speed DSL so sock it to me. The bigger and more animated the sig the better!

Reaper16
The problem with your sig, BRC, is that Beavis and Butthead are awesome. As such, they wouldn't be Broncos fans. Fundamental flaw.

Kclee
like blacks never beat on anyone.
GTFU.

[Ken Hamlin] yeah, whatever [Ken Hamlin]

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Congrats man. Is this your first?

far as i know.

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 11:36 AM
All I see are a group beating up on one poor bastard. 1 on 1 is a fight. 6 on 1 is cowardice.

actually if you look closer-its starts out fair then the hippies buddies run off.

Saulbadguy
10-21-2005, 11:54 AM
They are naturally cowards.

MOhillbilly
10-21-2005, 11:55 AM
They are naturally cowards.

ROFL

angel
10-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Mom Voice: "All right! That's it! No signatures for anyone! If you guys can't stop arguing about it, then nobody gets it!"

Mr. Laz
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Mom Voice: "All right! That's it! No signatures for anyone! If you guys can't stop arguing about it, then nobody gets it!"

Mr. Laz
10-21-2005, 12:22 PM
I like chick pics as much as the next guy, but it's gotten so bad that I can't scroll at work without being on the "at work" feature. And then I can't enjoy the NEW LOOK Chiefs Planet because of that.

yes you can ...

full featured mode > uncheck "show attachments"

then you see everything except all the pictures ... they will be shown as links.

patteeu
10-21-2005, 12:42 PM
The admins shouldn't dictate this but as a community we could voluntarily decide to remove large sigs. I think that would be okay, not a big imposition on free speech.

WTF are you talking about? This doesn't have anything to do with free speech. I see nothing wrong with the admins dictating something like this if that is what they want to do. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for them to dictate restrictions on sigs, avatars, language, and images.

FWIW, I think your sig is pretty good, but I don't have a problem with Phobia enforcing his size limit either.

Dartgod
10-21-2005, 12:44 PM
yes you can ...

full featured mode > uncheck "show attachments"

then you see everything except all the pictures ... they will be shown as links.
Wow. Too bad somebody didn't think of that before. ;)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2769168&postcount=18

Mr. Laz
10-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Wow. Too bad somebody didn't think of that before. ;)
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2769168&postcount=18
heh ... where do you think i learn it. ;)

when you had an issue with my sig, you asked nicely and i was glad to fix it.

when certain people have tried to bully me into changing it i happen to get very stubborn about it.

it's all in the approach :thumb:

HemiEd
10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
i happen to get very stubborn about it.

no........................not you, tell me aint so. :rolleyes:

Pants
10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. I think the avs and sigs are part of what makes this board interesting. It shows people's creativity IMO.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Some of the sigs and avy's are pretty good/funny, I enjoy seeing new ones.

BigRedChief
10-21-2005, 03:43 PM
okay cutting off the vote.

22 yes
17 no
20 don't care
2 Gaz

Sig stays

KChiefsQT
10-21-2005, 03:46 PM
I like your sig as well as most on the planet. However, if I didn't like it I would simply check the ignore box and go on with my day. :)

patteeu
10-21-2005, 04:32 PM
okay cutting off the vote.

22 yes
17 no
20 don't care
2 Gaz

Sig stays

LOL, just out of curiosity, how much would "yes" have to win by for you to decide that the sig doesn't stay? Was this some kind of supermajority vote or what?

KChiefsQT
10-21-2005, 04:35 PM
LOL, just out of curiosity, how much would "yes" have to win by for you to decide that the sig doesn't stay? Was this some kind of supermajority vote or what?

ROFL
I was thinking the same thing. I'm assuming 2/3 majority would have done it. ahahah I'm glad though... let the whiners whine

ExtremeChief
10-21-2005, 04:55 PM
ok Laz

I'm calling you out...

Who is Charlotte????

Valiant
10-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Okay I've had one noob and one long timer complain about my sig so I didn't think it was a big deal to anyone since I've got 10 pos reps for it I figured the vast majority liked it. But am I wrong. Don't want to offend anyone here or rob their bandwidth over a sig.

So vote. I will remove or let the sig stay based on the poll.

Sig is fine...

Pants
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Umm, it's 45 vs 22... so...

Mr. Laz
10-21-2005, 05:13 PM
ok Laz

I'm calling you out...

Who is Charlotte????
heh :)

a european opera singer turned wannabe pop star

face and voice of an angel ... body built for sin :fire:

tk13
10-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I really don't have a problem with there being sig limits considering there is no 'ignore sig' option. I don't think it's particularly fair to say "tough ****, if you don't like one, turn them all off". But whatever.

patteeu
10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Umm, it's 45 vs 22... so...

Abstentions are typically not counted when tabulating a yea/nay vote. Do you go to KU or something? :)

Pants
10-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Abstentions are typically not counted when tabulating a yea/nay vote. Do you go to KU or something? :)

In this case they are. IMO, the only way the sigs should be turned off is if there are more nays than both yeas and "don't cares", if someone doesn't care, then he doesn't mind the sig being there (that's the way I voted).