PDA

View Full Version : Garage door torsion spring - ever had to replace one?

Lzen
10-21-2005, 09:07 AM
So, I got home last evening and notice that a cable was hanging down on one side of the garage door track. The cable wouldn't budge as it appeared still attached to the bottom of the door. But the rest of it was loose and hanging down. I looked at the other side to see if I could figure out how it worked or what was it's purpose. It was loose and I just pulled it right off the door.

Eventually, I figured out that these cables are attached to wheels(or pulleys?) at the top of the garage door. These wheels wind the cables as the door goes up. And right in the middle over the garage door is a long spring that holds tension/torque that is attached to these wheels. About a third of the spring was separated from the the rest of it. The torsion spring(I think that's the right name) had broken.

Have any of you ever had to replace one of these things? Know of any quality places that can fix it. Keep in mind that while I do like to fix a lot of things myself to save money, these springs can be very dangerous and I would prefer to leave that to a pro.

Brock
10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
You don't want to do it yourself.

StcChief
10-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Cheap to have it done. Don't try it.

Our old neighborhood, they broke almost in the order of the houses built.

Wierd.

HemiEd
You don't want to do it yourself.

Brock is right on this, do not do it yourself. I do about everything myself, but hired a garage door company for that one. One of our maintenance guys here at work attempted it and it is dangerous.

C-Mac
Replace is easy..its when you tighten it its tricky.

JimNasium
Had one break a couple of weeks ago. You'll prolly need a professional to do the job. I wish I knew the cost involved but I'm currently a renter so it came out of the landlord's pocket.

KevB
10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I did it once, but won't be doing it again. It was a pain, and dangerous. I just had one replaced, and it was roughly $140. Well worth it IMO.

Ralphy Boy
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Brock is right on this, do not do it yourself. I do about everything myself, but hired a garage door company for that one. One of our maintenance guys here at work attempted it and it is dangerous.

Yeah its dangerous, people have seriously lost limbs trying it.

Where are you located at? I know a guy who does it cheap in Springfield.

shakesthecat
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't mess with one of those myself, but then I'm pretty lazy.

A quick glance in our local yellow pages under Garage Doors shows about 20 companies that specialize in that sort of thing.

Sam
10-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Had one break last week. Luckily we have two garage doors. I just took one off of the door that's not used often and switched it over to the other door.

Haven't made much of an attempt to find replacements though. I should do that.

Lzen
10-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Oh, sry. I forgot that I don't have my city in my location anymore. I'm in Topeka. I didn't plan on doing it myself because, like most of you have said, it can be a very dangerous job.

I have looked through the phone book. The only problem is that by going that route, I may find a quality business to do the job for a low price or I may end up getting screwed. I would prefer reccomendations (if anyone has one) before I blindly look at repair places in the yellow pages.

Ralphy Boy
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Oh, sry. I forgot that I don't have my city in my location anymore. I'm in Topeka. I didn't plan on doing it myself because, like most of you have said, it can be a very dangerous job.

I have looked through the phone book. The only problem is that by going that route, I may find a quality business to do the job for a low price or I may end up getting screwed. I would prefer reccomendations (if anyone has one) before I blindly look at repair places in the yellow pages.

I found my guy thru Sears, when I bought the opener there I asked them for a good & cheap installer.

mlyonsd
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
If you have an 'Overhead Door' company in your neck of the woods I'd recommend them.

I had your exact problem several years back on a 20 foot door and they fixed it so well you could raise/lower it with a finger.

alpha_omega
10-21-2005, 11:19 AM
If you have an 'Overhead Door' company in your neck of the woods I'd recommend them.
I had your exact problem several years back on a 20 foot door and they fixed it so well you could raise/lower it with a finger.

Yep...call Overhead Door