PDA

View Full Version : You knew it was coming...do we overcoach??

NewChief
10-21-2005, 10:13 PM
I know someone will bring it up eventually, so I'll bring it up now. Do we normally overcoach and overanalyze everything? Were we actually helped by the fact that Saunders and Gunther didn't have too much time to scheme and, instead, let the players just play the game. I realize that the ball bounces both ways and Miami didn't get to overscheme either, but I can't help but think that Saunders may overcomplicate things at times.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
10-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I know someone will bring it up eventually, so I'll bring it up now. Do we normally overcoach and overanalyze everything? Were we actually helped by the fact that Saunders and Gunther didn't have too much time to scheme and, instead, let the players just play the game. I realize that the ball bounces both ways and Miami didn't get to overscheme either, but I can't help but think that Saunders may overcomplicate things at times.

Is this Kevin Keitzman?

Reaper16
10-21-2005, 10:15 PM
This game, if you were able to watch it, is solid proof that if we ustilize the running game first and foremost, then everything else opens up. Saunders really needs to recognize this. Hopefully, he learned after tonight.

siberian khatru
10-21-2005, 10:16 PM
I still think Al passed too much tonight, especially in the 4th when we should have been burning clock.

Quibble.

tk13
10-21-2005, 10:16 PM
DV said in the postgame that for the most part we took a lot of our most basic things and just disguised some of them... I may have heard that wrong but he seemed to indicate that the coordinators simplified things some...

jspchief
10-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I've felt that way about Saunders for a year and a half now.

Somewhere along the way, he stopped doing what was working and tried to come up a bunch of new crap. It's liek he wants to stay a step ahead of the competitiion, but doesn't recognize that the team is already a lot of steps in the lead.

Amazing that our offense finally clicks tonight, and it comes when we pound the ball on the ground 41 times. Who would have guessed that running the ball could win games?

NewChief
10-21-2005, 10:18 PM
I still think Al passed too much tonight, especially in the 4th when we should have been burning clock.

Quibble.

LOL I like the quibble. I got on the phone with my father-in-law after the game, who was deep in the throes of his post-win happiness, I immediately started breaking down and analyzing all the places we screwed up tonight. He got off the phone with me pretty quickly because DV's press conference was starting and DV sounded like he "was going to cry." DAMN YOU CHIEFSPLANET FOR MAKING ME THINK TOO MUCH!!

siberian khatru
10-21-2005, 10:19 PM
LOL I like the quibble. I got on the phone with my father-in-law after the game, who was deep in the throes of his post-win happiness, I immediately started breaking down and analyzing all the places we screwed up tonight. He got off the phone with me pretty quickly because DV's press conference was starting and DV sounded like he "was going to cry." DAMN YOU CHIEFSPLANET FOR MAKING ME THINK TOO MUCH!!

Heh. I'm basking in postgame victory glow while still breaking things down. I think one can do both.

Count Alex's Losses
10-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm going to say no. In games past our running game wasn't so consistently good like it was tonight.

What really made the difference tonight was Trent's accuracy. He was spot on.

Pants
10-21-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm going to say no. In games past our running game wasn't so consistently good like it was tonight.

What really made the difference tonight was Trent's accuracy. He was spot on.

Yeah, he was for the most part. There were at least 2 huge overthrows, but I can think of at least 2 drops too, so I guess that balances things out as far as stats go.

Count Alex's Losses
10-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah, he was for the most part. There were at least 2 huge overthrows, but I can think of at least 2 drops too, so I guess that balances things out as far as stats go.

I didn't even watch the game, I was just going by the highlights. ROFL

The 50-yard pass to Horn and the bootleg to Jason Dunn were fantastic throws though.

KCChiefsMan
10-21-2005, 10:28 PM
George: "you're gonna over-dry"
Seinfeld: "you can't over-dry, it's just like death, once you die you die, you can't over-die, you can't over-dry"

NewChief
10-21-2005, 10:29 PM

I had to listen to the game, but it was funny. They were bragging about Roaf handling the pass rush for the first few series, then they suddenly started talking about how Roaf was getting beat. No idea of what kind of pressure Trent had tonight, but it he definitely had some HUGE 3rd down conversiosn to keep us going. I think I'd start starting Trent now for those of you who have him in fantasy.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-21-2005, 10:32 PM
i dont think that the tunas deserved that last t.d.

they need to get there head out of ass

that might help
i dont know i just a 1 fan, 1 voice, but my brain works alot better that dick's does lately
i think dick is turning into a pussy

Pants
10-21-2005, 10:34 PM
I had to listen to the game, but it was funny. They were bragging about Roaf handling the pass rush for the first few series, then they suddenly started talking about how Roaf was getting beat. No idea of what kind of pressure Trent had tonight, but it he definitely had some HUGE 3rd down conversiosn to keep us going. I think I'd start starting Trent now for those of you who have him in fantasy.
They got to him a few times, he underthrew on at least one pressure, but can't really blame him. He actually rolled out once, it was awesome, although didn't do much, heh. The ball was also tipped a couple times (1 for sure, can't picture the other time right now).

KCChiefsFan88
10-21-2005, 10:49 PM
I think the better question is, did the injuries to Samie Parker and McCleon actually help the Chiefs on both sides of the ball.

Passing game looked as good as it has all year, and Bo and Horn had a huge part in that. On defense, the pass defense looked good as well.

Mark M
10-22-2005, 12:14 AM
I think the major problem lately (and in several games the last few years) is that Saunders still can't figure out that the Chiefs are a running team first, passing second.

Miami hadn't given up a 300 yard passer in a long time (still haven't) and it was as if they were trying to prove they could do it.

It was like the Tampa game a few years ago when they went out of their way to get Morton 100 yards (Tampa's D hadn't allowed a 100 yard receiver in like two years).

If they'd just line up and play they'd win a few more games, IMHO.

Just add it to the list of reason to NOT have Saunders be the next head coach of KC.

MM
~~:arrow:

the Talking Can
10-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Tonight proved that AS can't stop ****ing with a good thing.

Every time we ran on first down we gained 4-6 yards making it easy to get first downs and move the ball. But, as soon as we'd get to their 30, AS would get greedy and pass on 1st down hoping for a TD....incomplete, then we'd run on 2nd down and get stuffed, lose 3 yards, have to throw on third and long, incomplete...Tynes for a FG

IF AS had just kept running on first downs we'd have marched right into the endzone. It's like he has ADD and can't stand to run because it is too slow.

In all fairness, one of his pass calls was to Gonzo, who was open and overthrown by Trent..but still, a little more patience and we would have a TD.

Plus, imagine if he hadn't abandoned the run in the first half? Damn...we could have scored 50...but 30's enough, I guess...lol.

Great Game.

Earthling
10-22-2005, 12:52 AM
i think dick is turning into a pussy

Oh my!!

ChiefsFanatic
10-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I didn't even watch the game, I was just going by the highlights. ROFL

The 50-yard pass to Horn and the bootleg to Jason Dunn were fantastic throws though.

Absolutely. That throw to Horn was great. And I can't believe he got the ball to Dunn.

Count Alex's Losses
10-22-2005, 01:24 AM
And I can't believe he got the ball to Dunn.

I was shocked seeing that on NFL Network. It was sort of a falling-backwards jump pass. Perfect throw.