PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Pass Some Thanks To Frerotten

KCChiefsFan88
10-22-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12967703.htm

Pass some thanks to Gus Frerotten

MIAMI — Don’t forget to thank Gus Frerotte today. I mean, if you’re going to truly celebrate the Chiefs’ “Friday Night Lights” victory over the Miami Dolphins, you might as well thank the man most responsible.

Don’t get upset. Yes, the Chiefs deserve lots of credit for getting on a plane Friday morning, gassing up Willie Roaf, Brian Waters, Will Shields, Casey Wiegmann, Jordan Black and John Welbourn and riding Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson to a 30-20 victory.

Kansas City’s offensive line and running backs were quite impressive against one of the better front fours in all of football. The Chiefs rushed for 185 yards and three TDs. Trent Green threw for 289 yards.

But — and you knew I would have a but — KC’s second straight victory left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. Despite being impressed with the Chiefs’ resolve and professionalism, I was far from overwhelmed and primarily left Dolphins Stadium wondering what this victory would mean the day before Halloween in San Diego.

You see, the Chiefs, 4-2, did what they were supposed to do in Miami. Dick Vermeil has a better team than first-year Dolphins coach Nick Saban. If the Chiefs showed up and gave a professional effort, they had almost no choice but to beat the Dolphins as long as Frerotte was under center.

So, it’s difficult for me to get wrapped up in all of the emotion of the Chiefs “overcoming adversity” to beat a bad Miami team. The Chiefs get paid a significant sum of money to play football. Vermeil and his players deserve credit for not being distracted by commissioner Paul Tagliabue’s decision to move this game from Sunday to Friday out of concern about Hurricane Wilma.

Once it became obvious that they weren’t distracted — the Chiefs opened the game with an eight-play, 80-yard TD drive — all that was left to figure out Friday was KC’s final margin of victory.

Miami quarterback Frerotte is that bad, that inaccurate. Frerotte and his 38-percent completion percentage hamstrung Miami’s offense to the point that you almost feel sorry for Miami’s defenders. Frerotte completed just 11 of 29 passes Friday and finished the night with a 37.3 passer rating.

Those of you unable to watch Friday’s affair didn’t miss all that much.

Quite frankly, I spent much of Friday night wondering how this game would affect the Oct. 30 showdown with Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers. You’d think that the two-days-early victory would set the Chiefs up nicely for the Chargers.

“We’re getting an extra day of practice, so you’d think it’s an advantage,” said cornerback Eric Warfield, a surprise starter Friday night.

“It can’t hurt us,” Waters said. “You’d have to say we have some momentum going into that game. We’re playing pretty good ball right now, and we got our offense going.”

Yes, the offense is going. The defense is what’s worrisome. The best thing about Friday night was that Warfield was in the starting lineup. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham informed Warfield that he’d be starting in the locker room just before the Chiefs took the field for pregame warm-ups.

“It was a last-minute decision,” Warfield said. “Me and Dewayne (Washington) split time all week in practice. I was surprised.”

Warfield played pretty well. The Dolphins didn’t throw in his direction that often on Friday. And even when they did, Frerotte was so inaccurate it didn’t matter. But it was good that Warfield was thrown back into the starting lineup before flying to San Diego next weekend and taking on Drew Brees and Keenan McCardell.

The Dolphins are a great exhibition opponent for a defense.

The defensive effort the Chiefs gave Friday night won’t be nearly good enough against San Diego. Safety Greg Wesley had a miserable game. Ronnie Brown ran Wesley over on his way to a 65-yard touchdown. And Wesley was beaten on a couple of passing plays. Cornerback Patrick Surtain also struggled. The Dolphins had open receivers all evening. Frerotte just over- or underthrew them all night.

The Chiefs need to use their extra days of preparation to fix their defense. Five days after hammering Washington quarterback Mark Brunell, the Chiefs didn’t mount much of a pass rush Friday. Gunther Cunningham will have plenty of time to install some new wrinkles to his defense before the Chiefs hit San Diego.

HolmeZz
10-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm convinced Whitlock just writes crap like this JUST to rile up Chief fans. The fact that he has to put a negative spin on a pretty impressive road victory, especially under the circumstances we played in, makes that clear.

HolmeZz
10-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Did he just say Surtain struggled? I do agree with him that Miami had some open receivers Frerotte missed, but Chambers was absolutely kept in check by Surtain. Pat played on the right for a few plays I recall. Apparently Gunther finally got with the program. I don't think Surtain could've been any more shutdown than he was.

Count Zarth
10-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Jason Whitlock can KISS MY PLUMP WHITE ASS!

The Dolphins beat the Panthers (4-2) and the Broncos (5-1) in their other two home games.

If Miami had come to KC and gotten whipped, yes, I'd agree with him. But this is just bullshit.

Hopefully the Chiefs read it and get riled up for SD. :D

the Talking Can
10-22-2005, 12:22 AM
funny, fatlock and I watched two different games..

KCChiefsFan88
10-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Did he just say Surtain struggled? I do agree with him that Miami had some open receivers Frerotte missed, but Chambers was absolutely kept in check by Surtain. Pat played on the right for a few plays I recall. Apparently Gunther finally got with the program.

It looks like view from the Dolphins beat-writer for the Miami Herald has a different take of how Surtain played versus Chambers most of the night

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12968606.htm

CHIEFS 30, DOLPHINS 20

Dolphins flounder in short week

The Dolphins offered little resistance to the Chiefs, who traveled and played Friday because of Hurricane Wilma.

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

This time the Dolphins can't blame their ineffectiveness on a gaggle of penalties or a handful of turnovers or a plane ride to an opposing city.

This time the Dolphins may have to look in a mirror and admit this 30-20 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs was the result of an inferior team facing a superior team and offering little resistance in front of precious few fans.

''We just didn't play very well,'' Dolphins coach Nick Saban said. ``Offensively we were not in sync with what we're doing to put drives together to possess the ball. We're not at all where we need to be on either side of the ball.

``The consistency is not what it needs to be down in, down out on either side of the ball.''

Until now, the Dolphins had fallen back on logical reasons for their previous losses. They had a team record 18 penalties in a loss to Buffalo, they were on the road in losses to the Jets and Tampa Bay. They simply were victims of circumstance.

But Friday night turned out the lights on the excuses.

The Dolphins had a season-low four penalties and had a huge advantage of playing at home in a game moved up two days by the prospect of a Hurricane Wilma landfall in Florida this weekend. The Chiefs arrived in South Florida at 9 a.m. after not even conducting a full practice Thursday.

`THEY SHOWED UP'

And yet it was the Chiefs who scored on their first possession, pounding the Miami defense on an eight-play, 80-yard drive that set the tone for their performance.

''They showed up and played and we didn't,'' said linebacker Donnie Spragan, who replaced an injured Junior Seau for the second consecutive week. ``It didn't matter if the game was today or Sunday. If we played like we did today, we're going to lose.''

That was evident in Miami's response to the Kansas City opening drive: The Dolphins went three plays and out.

The Miami offense was in a fog the entire game except for two moments of clarity. The first bolt of lightning was a 65-yard touchdown run by rookie Ronnie Brown, and the second was a 77-yard touchdown pass to Chris Chambers.

That second score might resonate for some time because it came from the arm of Sage Rosenfels with 2:35 left in the game.

Rosenfels replaced Frerotte in that series and his first throw was the touchdown. Frerotte had struggled by completing 11 of 29 passes for 125 yards without a touchdown but one interception.

Frerotte's passer rating for the game was a season-low 37.3. Rosenfels' passer rating was a perfect 158.3 because the TD pass was his only pass of the night.

Afterward, Frerotte took responsibility for his struggles, saying, ``I feel like I didn't play my best today. I have to go out and do that.''

Rosenfels shook off suggestions he should be Miami's starter. ''I'm here as an insurance policy,'' he said.

So maybe it's not a quarterback controversy in the making. But can you say quarterback quandary -- as in why not give Rosenfels more of a chance?

''I haven't thought about it yet,'' Saban said. ``The guy made one pass. I'm not here to say we're disappointed in Gus. I'm not going to say we're satisfied with Gus. If you ask him, I think he would tell you he's not satisfied with himself.

``We're here to say we'll help both guys improve and we'll make a decision on what is the better thing for our offensive team.''

Indeed, the Dolphins seemingly have more pressing issues than the quarterback position.

They proved they are not infallible at home, losing their first home game of the season and third in a row to drop to 2-4.

SECONDARY ISSUES

The Miami secondary proved that all the good coaching and scheming in the world cannot overcome a lack of talent. That was obvious after cornerback Sam Madison left the game with a hip pointer, safety Tebucky Jones left the game with a pectoral muscle injury that could be serious, and safety Lance Schulters was forced to play most of the second half with a thigh bruise.

Cornerback Reggie Howard and safety Travares Tillman will be pressed into service and, although Tillman seemed to hold his own, Howard struggled as he has in at least two previous games.

Howard not only yielded two significant completions -- including a 29-yarder that led to Kansas City's second touchdown -- but he also drew a defensive holding penalty that erased an interception by Travis Daniels.

''We don't seem to be playing with the confidence we need,'' Saban said.

And although Miami's defensive backfield yielded 277 net passing yards and Kansas City quarterback Trent Green completed 20 of 34 passes, the Chiefs' secondary mostly prospered.

Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain, traded to the Chiefs in the offseason after seven seasons with the Dolphins, proved that his much-hyped practice duels with Chambers were not dominated by the receiver, as Chambers said this week.

Surtain seemingly erased Chambers from field for much of the game -- he had zero receptions the first three quarters of the game. It wasn't until 8:16 remained in the fourth quarter that Chambers offered his first contribution -- an 11-yard catch.

When Chambers caught his 77-yarder, Surtain was not assigned to cover him.

''Guys, we need to make more plays,'' Saban said. ``And we need to put our players in a position to make plays.

``I believe in players and believe we need to make more plays than what we made. All we can do about this game is learn from it. It's very disappointing and I'm very frustrated. I know we're capable of playing better than what we played tonight.''

HolmeZz
10-22-2005, 12:26 AM
I was on FinHeaven during the game and one of the members made a thread asking if Chambers was even playing because he hadn't caught a pass. This was in the 3rd quarter. ROFL

T-post Tom
10-22-2005, 12:46 AM
It looks like view from the Dolphins beat-writer for the Miami Herald has a different take of how Surtain played versus Chambers most of the night
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/12968606.htm
Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain, traded to the Chiefs in the offseason after seven seasons with the Dolphins, proved that his much-hyped practice duels with Chambers were not dominated by the receiver, as Chambers said this week.
Surtain seemingly erased Chambers from field for much of the game -- he had zero receptions the first three quarters of the game. It wasn't until 8:16 remained in the fourth quarter that Chambers offered his first contribution -- an 11-yard catch.
When Chambers caught his 77-yarder, Surtain was not assigned to cover him.

:clap:

Nice post! The Miami writer is spot on. Twitlock likes nothing better than to stir the sh!t. I'm sure he loves it when Chiefs' fans take the bait. It's job security for him.

CrazyHorse
10-22-2005, 05:28 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12967703.htm

Pass some thanks to Gus Frerotten

MIAMI — Don’t forget to thank Gus Frerotte today. I mean, if you’re going to truly celebrate the Chiefs’ “Friday Night Lights” victory over the Miami Dolphins, you might as well thank the man most responsible.

Don’t get upset. Yes, the Chiefs deserve lots of credit for getting on a plane Friday morning, gassing up Willie Roaf, Brian Waters, Will Shields, Casey Wiegmann, Jordan Black and John Welbourn and riding Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson to a 30-20 victory.

Kansas City’s offensive line and running backs were quite impressive against one of the better front fours in all of football. The Chiefs rushed for 185 yards and three TDs. Trent Green threw for 289 yards.

But — and you knew I would have a but — KC’s second straight victory left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. Despite being impressed with the Chiefs’ resolve and professionalism, I was far from overwhelmed and primarily left Dolphins Stadium wondering what this victory would mean the day before Halloween in San Diego.

You see, the Chiefs, 4-2, did what they were supposed to do in Miami. Dick Vermeil has a better team than first-year Dolphins coach Nick Saban. If the Chiefs showed up and gave a professional effort, they had almost no choice but to beat the Dolphins as long as Frerotte was under center.

So, it’s difficult for me to get wrapped up in all of the emotion of the Chiefs “overcoming adversity” to beat a bad Miami team. The Chiefs get paid a significant sum of money to play football. Vermeil and his players deserve credit for not being distracted by commissioner Paul Tagliabue’s decision to move this game from Sunday to Friday out of concern about Hurricane Wilma.

Once it became obvious that they weren’t distracted — the Chiefs opened the game with an eight-play, 80-yard TD drive — all that was left to figure out Friday was KC’s final margin of victory.

Miami quarterback Frerotte is that bad, that inaccurate. Frerotte and his 38-percent completion percentage hamstrung Miami’s offense to the point that you almost feel sorry for Miami’s defenders. Frerotte completed just 11 of 29 passes Friday and finished the night with a 37.3 passer rating.

Those of you unable to watch Friday’s affair didn’t miss all that much.

Quite frankly, I spent much of Friday night wondering how this game would affect the Oct. 30 showdown with Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers. You’d think that the two-days-early victory would set the Chiefs up nicely for the Chargers.

“We’re getting an extra day of practice, so you’d think it’s an advantage,” said cornerback Eric Warfield, a surprise starter Friday night.

“It can’t hurt us,” Waters said. “You’d have to say we have some momentum going into that game. We’re playing pretty good ball right now, and we got our offense going.”

Yes, the offense is going. The defense is what’s worrisome. The best thing about Friday night was that Warfield was in the starting lineup. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham informed Warfield that he’d be starting in the locker room just before the Chiefs took the field for pregame warm-ups.

“It was a last-minute decision,” Warfield said. “Me and Dewayne (Washington) split time all week in practice. I was surprised.”

Warfield played pretty well. The Dolphins didn’t throw in his direction that often on Friday. And even when they did, Frerotte was so inaccurate it didn’t matter. But it was good that Warfield was thrown back into the starting lineup before flying to San Diego next weekend and taking on Drew Brees and Keenan McCardell.

The Dolphins are a great exhibition opponent for a defense.

The defensive effort the Chiefs gave Friday night won’t be nearly good enough against San Diego. Safety Greg Wesley had a miserable game. Ronnie Brown ran Wesley over on his way to a 65-yard touchdown. And Wesley was beaten on a couple of passing plays. Cornerback Patrick Surtain also struggled. The Dolphins had open receivers all evening. Frerotte just over- or underthrew them all night.

The Chiefs need to use their extra days of preparation to fix their defense. Five days after hammering Washington quarterback Mark Brunell, the Chiefs didn’t mount much of a pass rush Friday. Gunther Cunningham will have plenty of time to install some new wrinkles to his defense before the Chiefs hit San Diego.

I disagree in part, with this article. I thought the Chiefs put pressure on Frerotte. I also feel like Surtain had at least a decent game. I would not charactorize his performance as a "struggle".

I also feel satisfied with the "effort". I'm not particularly satisfied with the results all the time. But the effort has been there ever since the bye week. IMO

For the 1st time in in quite some time I feel encouraged about the progress of the defense. Quite frankly, they're hitting people.

Ultra Peanut
10-22-2005, 05:31 AM
Pass some thanks to YOUR BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oen

CupidStunt
10-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah, that's it.

Pass some pies around.

petegz28
10-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Fatlock is a dumb ass that has no business writing columns about football in the NFL.

JBucc
10-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Nice to see Fatlock has gotten back to his usual self. He actually had some decent columns lately, I was sort of concerned.

Extra Point
10-22-2005, 07:14 AM
From a B_Ambuehl (sp?) Post yesterday:

"Did anyone see him on NFL network earlier in the week?"

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saban: The worst thing that can happen to a football team is to play bad and win. The WORST thing that can happen to a football team is to play terrible and win. We live in a results oriented society and all anyone wants to look at are the results. But what happens is they forget about following the "process" that leads to the results.

The worst beating we ever took at LSU was after a game against Vanderbilt which we won on a last second lucky ass bullshit bomb in the end zone. Everybody's happy and they're going "why are you pissed we won didn't we?" Well we didn't block anybody, we didn't tackle anybody, we didn't line up on defense correctly but everybody's happy cause we won and that's all that mattes right? But next week we got killed because we we forgot about following and executing the process that leads to the positive results.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JW's article was a parody of what Saban said on national TV. Last night's game was a mix of positive attitude on the Chiefs' side, and terrible play calling on the Dolphins' side. Whitlock is his old self in this article:

Fatlock out of 1

siberian khatru
10-22-2005, 07:44 AM
Gus had a bad game and he's not a good QB, but I think we had something to do with his performance.

I mean, this IS the same guy who torched Denver with 24-for-36/275/2 in Week 1. If we don't play well defensively, who's to say he doesn't step up? I mean, we're the "career day D," right? We beg nobodies to become somebodies.

Yeah, Drew Brees is better. Yeah, that will be an extraordinarly tough game. We will definitely have to bring our "A" game. But, jeez, I give all the credit last night to the Chiefs. You can always play games like "well, if they'd been facing Superman and Batman, it would've been different."

chiefsfaninNC
10-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Who was covering Chambers on the 77 yard TD? How did Warfiled look? Some of us didn't get to see the game yet.

4th and Long
10-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Whoah! Wait a minute! Doesn't Jason realize than Gus Frerotte has more yards rushing in one attempt last week than Ricky Williams has in the last two weeks?

Cochise
10-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Frerotte hasn't been good. The start of the season, ok. But the last 3 games he has accounted for 7 turnovers. His rating over that span is 57.3.

But when you get 25 first downs or whatever we had, control the time of posession more than 2:1, and rush for almost 200 yards, you stand a good chance of even beating a team of mini-Ditkas.

Credit where credit is due.

HolmeZz
10-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Who was covering Chambers on the 77 yard TD? How did Warfiled look? Some of us didn't get to see the game yet.

It was Warfield.

jettio
10-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Does Whitlock think that the Chiefs will be the favorite going into the San Diego game?

If San Diego's star players survive the Eagles game, the chargers will be favored in the game against the Chiefs.

And if the Chargers lose at Philly, the chances of the Chiefs beating a Marty-coached team at home and coming of a road loss and at 3-4 will be even less.

redbrian
10-22-2005, 09:13 AM
“Quite frankly, I spent much of Friday night wondering how this game would affect the Oct. 30 showdown with Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers.”

Quite frankly I think Whitless spent most of his time with his face in a plate of food rather than watching the game.

“Safety Greg Wesley had a miserable game. Ronnie Brown ran Wesley over on his way to a 65-yard touchdown.”

I may be wrong but the way I recall this play is that Wesley laid a pretty good hit on the Brown, who did not go down but bounced back and around to the left of his blockers.

Wesley’s mistake was in not wrapping Brown up, Brown is a strong runner who is not going to fall down when hit (kind of like LJ if you will).

On a side note about Whitless, I was at the recent KC Chamber lunch held at the American Royal this past week and happened to sit next to a couple of suits who work at the holding company which owns 610 sports.

They asked me what I liked and did not like about the station and of course brought up the subject of the Dog House.

I told them I listen more now that Whitless is gone from the air waves and they indicated that this is true for the majority of listeners.

In fact they were glad they were shed of Whitless’s sorry ass.

Frosty
10-22-2005, 09:27 AM
This is just another case of "The Chiefs didn't win; the other team gave them the game". It's quite the rage this season.

Tuckdaddy
10-22-2005, 09:35 AM
I also think the defense is making progress. We have given up some big plays the last two weeks but we sure the hell are not soft and they are PLANTING SOME BUTTS IN THE GROUND!

morphius
10-22-2005, 09:53 AM
“Quite frankly, I spent much of Friday night wondering how this game would affect the Oct. 30 showdown with Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers.”

Quite frankly I think Whitless spent most of his time with his face in a plate of food rather than watching the game.

“Safety Greg Wesley had a miserable game. Ronnie Brown ran Wesley over on his way to a 65-yard touchdown.”

I may be wrong but the way I recall this play is that Wesley laid a pretty good hit on the Brown, who did not go down but bounced back and around to the left of his blockers.

Wesley’s mistake was in not wrapping Brown up, Brown is a strong runner who is not going to fall down when hit (kind of like LJ if you will).

On a side note about Whitless, I was at the recent KC Chamber lunch held at the American Royal this past week and happened to sit next to a couple of suits who work at the holding company which owns 610 sports.

They asked me what I liked and did not like about the station and of course brought up the subject of the Dog House.

I told them I listen more now that Whitless is gone from the air waves and they indicated that this is true for the majority of listeners.

In fact they were glad they were shed of Whitless’s sorry ass.
Wesley had a couple mistakes, he was the guy in coverage on the two long passes and then on that hit on Brown he didn't even attempt to wrap up with hsi arms at all.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-22-2005, 09:57 AM
the restaurants must have been boarded up for Wilma. The bittersweet taste in his mouth came from the Quicky Mart

go bowe
10-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Jason Whitlock can KISS MY PLUMP WHITE ASS!

The Dolphins beat the Panthers (4-2) and the Broncos (5-1) in their other two home games.

If Miami had come to KC and gotten whipped, yes, I'd agree with him. But this is just bullshit.

Hopefully the Chiefs read it and get riled up for SD. :Dyou say your ass is plump?

what, are you advertising for a date? :p :p :p

go bowe
10-22-2005, 10:30 AM
on topic, it looked to me (yes, virginia, i got to see the actual game in real time... :p ) like most of ferret's throws were bad because he had like twenty red jerseys in his face...

we might not have gotten sacks, but we pressured the shit out of that poor fool...

redbrian
10-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Wesley had a couple mistakes, he was the guy in coverage on the two long passes and then on that hit on Brown he didn't even attempt to wrap up with hsi arms at all.

I agree with you, but Brown did not "run over" Wesley as stated by the fat one.

Wesley's hits and good plays outweighed his mistakes or bad plays.

A perfect game by any player is very rare, if even possible in the NFL.

thebrad84
10-22-2005, 10:50 AM
I must say that Whitlock does make a few points in his article that can/probably will cost against teams like the Chargers next week. Most of these points are directed at Wesley. Wesley did play like crap yesterday, which, by this time, should be no shock to Chiefs fans. I don't understand why the man doesn't realize that while wrapping up and tackling a guy might not be as flashy as trying to knock the crap out of him, it gets the job done a lot more times, and that's what he is paid to do. Him not wrapping up on Ronnie Brown could have ended up costing us that game. Think about it, that TD made the score 14-13, and gave them some huge momentum starting the 2nd half. Luckily, this time our offense responded with their own great drive and ended up scoring on an outstanding run by Priest...something they haven't been doing this year thus far.

Another thing that Wesley does in the game that is ridiculous is, after his great interception, decides to throw the ball at the WR who leveled him on his return. Why does Wesley do this? Because he was mad that the WR made a good hit on him? Does Wesley not realize that's exactly what he tries to do to the other team..lay big hits on them. Their receiver makes a great hit on Wesley, and, instead of saying something like "nice hit man," Wesley decides it's a good idea to throw the ball at him and get a 15 yard penalty for unsportsman-like conduct, which is exactly what that is...UNSPORTSMAN LIKE. This was another great example of how Wesley will time and time again show us he doesn't think on the field..he just acts.

Another point Whitlock makes that does have some merit is the fact that Frerrote had a horrible game and missed several wide open WR's. However, where he goes wrong here is trying to blame Surtain, which I really don't understand why. The problem with the wide open receivers was NOT Surtain's fault..he actually had a pretty damn good game. The open WR's was a result of this...How many freaking times did we see Derrick Johnson and Kawika Mitchell dropped back 25+ yards trying to keep up with Wideouts!?!?!?! Why does Gunther think this is anywhere close to a good idea? This stupid defensive scheme of ours is why there were so many open WR's. What kind of WR is Kawika Mitchell going to be able to keep tabs on??? Probably not too many. And, although Derrick Johnson is quick, I'm thinking WR's are a bit quicker than he is. This is why there were so many open WR's that, if Frerotte was any kind of QB, he could have taken advantage of, but fortunately for us, he isn't.

I think a lot of you people give Whitlock a lot of crap for articles he writes after we win that highlight a lot of negative things during the game, which is the exact opposite of what we would expect to see after a 30-20 victory over a good home team. What you people fail to realize is that Whitlock, much like myself, treats these Chiefs as a playoff caliber and Superbowl potential team. What we saw last night, although may have been a nice victory, clearly showed that this team has a long ways to go before we make any kind of SB run. We cannot afford to make the mental mistakes like we did yesterday (mainly Wesley and coaching), or good teams will take advantage of them and beat us too often. I think Whitlock, much like many other Chiefs fans, desperately wants a championship to come to Kansas City. It has been way too long since we have seen a championship, and lord knows we aren't going to get it from the Royals in many years to come. This year is supposed to be the Chiefs year, and that's how we need to treat it, much like Whitlock does. Just my opinion anyways.

stevieray
10-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I must say that Whitlock does make a few points in his article that can/probably will cost against teams like the Chargers next week. Most of these points are directed at Wesley. Wesley did play like crap yesterday, which, by this time, should be no shock to Chiefs fans. I don't understand why the man doesn't realize that while wrapping up and tackling a guy might not be as flashy as trying to knock the crap out of him, it gets the job done a lot more times, and that's what he is paid to do. Him not wrapping up on Ronnie Brown could have ended up costing us that game. Think about it, that TD made the score 14-13, and gave them some huge momentum starting the 2nd half. Luckily, this time our offense responded with their own great drive and ended up scoring on an outstanding run by Priest...something they haven't been doing this year thus far.

Another thing that Wesley does in the game that is ridiculous is, after his great interception, decides to throw the ball at the WR who leveled him on his return. Why does Wesley do this? Because he was mad that the WR made a good hit on him? Does Wesley not realize that's exactly what he tries to do to the other team..lay big hits on them. Their receiver makes a great hit on Wesley, and, instead of saying something like "nice hit man," Wesley decides it's a good idea to throw the ball at him and get a 15 yard penalty for unsportsman-like conduct, which is exactly what that is...UNSPORTSMAN LIKE. This was another great example of how Wesley will time and time again show us he doesn't think on the field..he just acts.

Another point Whitlock makes that does have some merit is the fact that Frerrote had a horrible game and missed several wide open WR's. However, where he goes wrong here is trying to blame Surtain, which I really don't understand why. The problem with the wide open receivers was NOT Surtain's fault..he actually had a pretty damn good game. The open WR's was a result of this...How many freaking times did we see Derrick Johnson and Kawika Mitchell dropped back 25+ yards trying to keep up with Wideouts!?!?!?! Why does Gunther think this is anywhere close to a good idea? This stupid defensive scheme of ours is why there were so many open WR's. What kind of WR is Kawika Mitchell going to be able to keep tabs on??? Probably not too many. And, although Derrick Johnson is quick, I'm thinking WR's are a bit quicker than he is. This is why there were so many open WR's that, if Frerotte was any kind of QB, he could have taken advantage of, but fortunately for us, he isn't.

I think a lot of you people give Whitlock a lot of crap for articles he writes after we win that highlight a lot of negative things during the game, which is the exact opposite of what we would expect to see after a 30-20 victory over a good home team. What you people fail to realize is that Whitlock, much like myself, treats these Chiefs as a playoff caliber and Superbowl potential team. What we saw last night, although may have been a nice victory, clearly showed that this team has a long ways to go before we make any kind of SB run. We cannot afford to make the mental mistakes like we did yesterday (mainly Wesley and coaching), or good teams will take advantage of them and beat us too often. I think Whitlock, much like many other Chiefs fans, desperately wants a championship to come to Kansas City. It has been way too long since we have seen a championship, and lord knows we aren't going to get it from the Royals in many years to come. This year is supposed to be the Chiefs year, and that's how we need to treat it, much like Whitlock does. Just my opinion anyways.

Thanks to Miami, for being the better team last night and letting us win in spite of ourselves.

redbrian
10-22-2005, 11:02 AM

“Another thing that Wesley does in the game that is ridiculous is, after his great interception, decides to throw the ball at the WR who leveled him on his return.”

Wesley did not throw the ball at the defender, he flipped it at the guy, it was a real bs foul.

“wide open receivers”

What both you and Whitless miss is that Frerrote did not complete passes because their were red jerseys coming after his ass.

thebrad84
10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
“Another thing that Wesley does in the game that is ridiculous is, after his great interception, decides to throw the ball at the WR who leveled him on his return.”

Wesley did not throw the ball at the defender, he flipped it at the guy, it was a real bs foul.

“wide open receivers”

What both you and Whitless miss is that Frerrote did not complete passes because their were red jerseys coming after his ass.

I'd say more times than not, Frerrote didn't complete passes because he overthrew or underthrew his receivers. Although some of time there may have been some red jerseys in his face, MOST of the time this was not the case.

And..for the Wesley "flipping" the ball at the guy...throw or flipping, why does he do it? There is no reason for it, and that's what makes it a penalty and a stupid play on Wesley's part. Why not, like you see many times from good players, tell the guy "nice hit" and help him up to his feet or pat him on the helmet? Because he was mad that the WR makes a hit like Wesley does all the time? It's just stupid.

morphius
10-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I agree with you, but Brown did not "run over" Wesley as stated by the fat one.

Wesley's hits and good plays outweighed his mistakes or bad plays.

A perfect game by any player is very rare, if even possible in the NFL.
Wesley was definitly not "run over" the guy got bounced almost 2 yards backwards, he just didn't go down. It just bothered me that the three biggest plays for the O were because Wesley was in coverage and Wesley didn't tackle. 14 of the 20 points can rest on his shoulders, thats not good. He did have 2-3 nice plays, but does that make up for 14 points?

philfree
10-22-2005, 11:29 AM
It was Warfield.

Warfield & another player that I assume was Sammy Knight fell asleep and let the reciever get behind them.

PhilFree:arrow:

thebrad84
10-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Warfield & another player that I assume was Sammy Knight fell asleep and let the reciever get behind them.

No, it was Warefield and Wesley on that one, not Knight.

philfree
10-22-2005, 11:41 AM

I'm pretty sure Wesley chased the guy down the field after he made the catch but I don't think he was the one responsible for the coverege. When they air the replay we'll get to see it again but from where I was watching that play wasn't on him.

Coach
10-22-2005, 11:44 AM

It was Warfield and Knight who got burnt. Wesley was trying to get over the side to get the WR down.

philfree
10-22-2005, 11:46 AM
It was Warfield and Knight who got burnt. Wesley was trying to get over the side to get the WR down.

See.........Coach says so too so I must be right.

redbrian
10-22-2005, 11:53 AM
See.........Coach says so too so I must be right.

It was Warfield and Knight.

Warfield spoke about it after the game, and indicated that it was lack of communication between himself and Knight. Both went for the ball. Warfield took full blame for it.

Simplex3
10-22-2005, 12:13 PM

“wide open receivers”

There was nothing BS about that foul. That gets called 99% of the time in the NFL and according to the rules it should have been called.

As for the "red jerseys coming after his a**" theory being passed around. If Ferorororet didn't suck he wouldn't have missed two WIDE open guys in the end zone and they would have had 8 more points. His throws weren't errant because of being hit, they were errant because of him being a bad QB. There aren't very many QBs in the league that bad, maybe two or three. He had the time and his target was wide open. SD won't miss on those opportunities.

Simplex3
10-22-2005, 12:15 PM
It was Warfield and Knight.

Warfield spoke about it after the game, and indicated that it was lack of communication between himself and Knight. Both went for the ball. Warfield took full blame for it.
That may be the most positive thing I've heard from this D in months. An admission that something went wrong, an analyzation of what it was, and assignment of responsibility. The final element is Knight and Warfield fixing the issue at practice this week which is easy now that the first three parts are done.

:clap: Nice job EW.

Chris Meck
10-22-2005, 12:26 PM
You had linebackers in coverage a lot because we blitzed a lot of nickel-backs and safeties. Sort of a 'zone blitz' kind of thing, if you will.

The idea is that you get to the QB before he's able to exploit the coverage mismatch. Gun's not really expecting the LB's to be great cover corners, just to be 'with' their guy long enough for the blitz to get to the QB and force an errant throw.

And, for the most part, it worked.

And while we didn't get sacks, we did pressure the hell out of Frerotte, forcing him to throw the ball early all game long. With the exception of two plays, the defense was pretty damned dominant all game long: the 80 yard run in which Wesley thought he could just knock Brown out of bounds and the 77 yard pass to Chambers when the game was already wrapped up.

But again, we're getting better defensively. There will probably be some games where we regress, and we'll have a couple in which we entirely dominate. But overall, we're MUCH faster, we knock the crap out of people, and we pressure QB's better than in past years. These are facts, we have enough of a sample now to see these trends.

We still get people out of position and give up the occasional big play but they're mental mistakes and not talent-based. For instance-IF Wesley wraps up Brown, we hold the 'Fins to about 50 yards rushing. IF Warfield and Knight don't miscommunicate on the long pass to Chambers, we hold the 'Fins to about what, 120 yards passing?

Now, we didn't do either of those things, but you can see that two plays skewed the statline from a complete whipping to just a solid win.

Chris

redbrian
10-22-2005, 12:40 PM
There was nothing BS about that foul. That gets called 99% of the time in the NFL and according to the rules it should have been called.

As for the "red jerseys coming after his a**" theory being passed around. If Ferorororet didn't suck he wouldn't have missed two WIDE open guys in the end zone and they would have had 8 more points. His throws weren't errant because of being hit, they were errant because of him being a bad QB. There aren't very many QBs in the league that bad, maybe two or three. He had the time and his target was wide open. SD won't miss on those opportunities.

I will respectfully disagree with you, the Chiefs D had pressure on the qb all night long.
Balls were batted down, hands were in his face, folks were getting hit and taken down in the backfield.
The Chiefs D played a very physical game and it showed.
I expect more of the same next week.

Bowser
10-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Whitlock has had a streak of good articles come to an end with this one. Wesley doesn't wrap up on one play, and Warfield goes for a pick instead of the tackle on another. That's it. The Dolphins could not get anything done, other than two fluke plays, plays that are easily fixed in meetings and in practice.

I like our chances against San Diego a wjole lot more today than I did a week ago.

RINGLEADER
10-22-2005, 01:38 PM
This column doesn't show some kind of expert insight...it makes Whitlock look like a fool. I do guess it's easier to mischaracterize the team's play when half their fans couldn't watch the game.

Chiefs put on a complete performance last night with the exception of a few of the jailbreak plays that they do need to address. A lot of players made statements last night.

Warrior5
10-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Whitlock does have some valid points buried in here.

[url]
The defensive effort the Chiefs gave Friday night won’t be nearly good enough against San Diego. Safety Greg Wesley had a miserable game. Ronnie Brown ran Wesley over on his way to a 65-yard touchdown. And Wesley was beaten on a couple of passing plays...

The Dolphins had open receivers all evening. Frerotte just over- or underthrew them all night...

Five days after hammering Washington quarterback Mark Brunell, the Chiefs didn’t mount much of a pass rush Friday. Gunther Cunningham will have plenty of time to install some new wrinkles to his defense before the Chiefs hit San Diego.

Simplex3
10-22-2005, 02:29 PM
I will respectfully disagree with you, the Chiefs D had pressure on the qb all night long.
Balls were batted down, hands were in his face, folks were getting hit and taken down in the backfield.
The Chiefs D played a very physical game and it showed.
I expect more of the same next week.
He did ge a lot of pressure last night, but on the two he missed for TDs he was just fine. He just outright missed those all by himself. Now, I don't think that changes the outcome of the game, but it make the Chiefs a little less comfortable this week in practice. I'm just afraid they're going to feel like they stomped MIA when in fact the game would have been much closer if Gus wasn't such a bum.

Lzen
10-22-2005, 02:46 PM

At least try to get your facts straight before you bitch about something. It was Warfield and Knight who were in coverage on Chambers on that last TD that was thrown by Sage Rosenfels. I have a dvr and I have watched that replay a few times. You're just plain wrong if you think it was Wesley's responsibility on that one.

Anyong Bluth
10-22-2005, 03:00 PM
I've watched the play a couple times too - EW is step for step with Chambers and lays out and trys to swat the ball down - and misses it - Knight whiffs on making the tackle. Its nice to hear EW take the blame but I think he played it right with help on top in defending the pass and expecting Knight to back him up and make the hit. Play the ball 1st - then play the man.

Lzen
10-22-2005, 03:12 PM
I've watched the play a couple times too - EW is step for step with Chambers and lays out and trys to swat the ball down - and misses it - Knight whiffs on making the tackle. Its nice to hear EW take the blame but I think he played it right with help on top in defending the pass and expecting Knight to back him up and make the hit. Play the ball 1st - then play the man.

'Zactly

4th and Long
10-22-2005, 03:54 PM
I've watched the play a couple times too - EW is step for step with Chambers and lays out and trys to swat the ball down - and misses it - Knight whiffs on making the tackle.
I'm doing this from memory but, didnt Knight whiff on the tackle because he tripped over Warfields broken body that was laying on the turf, causing Knight to eat the turf as well and miss the tackle?

Al Czervik
10-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Whitlock's whole purpose, besides keeping Hostess in business, is to stir the pot. That has been his MO from day one, as well as back in Indy, before he brought his stench to KC. I disagree that he wants a superbowl win in KC. That would limit his BS articles that are only spewed to incite the troops. Much like a steaming pile of dogshit, if everyone would ignore him, he would just dry up and blow away.
(I admit, it would be a big pile of dried up shit for away)

thebrad84
10-22-2005, 11:07 PM
At least try to get your facts straight before you bitch about something. It was Warfield and Knight who were in coverage on Chambers on that last TD that was thrown by Sage Rosenfels. I have a dvr and I have watched that replay a few times. You're just plain wrong if you think it was Wesley's responsibility on that one.

Actually, in my original post (or my "bitching" as you like to call it), I didn't even comment about this play. Even if it was Wesley back there (which I guess it wasn't, since everyone has corrected me on it), I didnt think this play was the safeties fault...it was just an amazing catch by Chambers and an unfortunate situation for EW and Knight (them tripping over eachother). I never "bitched" about this play, it was some other guy's post..so I really don't know what you are talking about. I suppose you need to get YOUR facts straight before you bitch about me bitching.

greg63
10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
the restaurants must have been boarded up for Wilma. The bittersweet taste in his mouth came from the Quicky Mart
ROFLROFLROFLROFL I keep tellin you guys it's all in the bath water he keeps drinking.

Again, my reaction to this article is as follows:

greg63
10-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Whitlock's whole purpose, besides keeping Hostess in business, is to stir the pot. That has been his MO from day one, as well as back in Indy, before he brought his stench to KC. I disagree that he wants a superbowl win in KC. That would limit his BS articles that are only spewed to incite the troops. Much like a steaming pile of dogshit, if everyone would ignore him, he would just dry up and blow away.
(I admit, it would be a big pile of dried up shit for away)

Yup!