PDA

View Full Version : I would like to commend Al Saunders

Phobia
10-22-2005, 07:56 AM
I was not commending him when we were passing on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs with a 17 point lead in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

However, he quickly corrected that error and put the game on the backs of his line and they put it in the bag.

Congratulations to Al Saunders for learning something from the Philly debacle. May you never have to learn that lesson again. Thank you for the exciting "W".

the Talking Can
10-22-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm copying my post from another thread...I'd like to thank AS for running even though it obviously pains him at times:

Tonight proved that AS can't stop ****ing with a good thing.

Every time we ran on first down we gained 4-6 yards making it easy to get first downs and move the ball. But, as soon as we'd get to their 30, AS would get greedy and pass on 1st down hoping for a TD....incomplete, then we'd run on 2nd down and get stuffed, lose 3 yards, have to throw on third and long, incomplete...Tynes for a FG

IF AS had just kept running on first downs we'd have marched right into the endzone. It's like he has ADD and can't stand to run because it is too slow.

In all fairness, one of his pass calls was to Gonzo, who was open and overthrown by Trent..but still, a little more patience and we would have a TD.

Plus, imagine if he hadn't abandoned the run in the first half? Damn...we could have scored 50...but 30's enough, I guess...lol.

Extra Point
10-22-2005, 08:17 AM
AS will take what he learned from this game and apply it to the Chargers game, I mo def hope.

keg in kc
10-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want this offense to turn into the f*cking Martyocre 3 yards and a cloud of dust bullshit. No thanks. The offense needs to be firing on all cylinders if we want to make the playoffs and have any chance of winning once we get there, and I have no problem at all with aggressive playcalling when we have a lead. That doesn't mean we need to continue spreading the field and going empty backfield (scratches head at that), but never, ever abandon the passing game. F*ck that conservative bullshit. The goal needs to be offensive balance, not swinging from extreme to extreme.

And the Chargers, specifically, call for a passing attack. Their strength is rush defense, because of their front seven. Their pass defense, their secondary in particular, is what we can exploit.

Sure-Oz
10-22-2005, 01:51 PM
More Gonzo and run it and this O will fly, should open up the WR's more imo.

Calcountry
10-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Once again, I have said it before, the pass opens up the run for us. If we didn't pass on first down with enough balance, they would just key on the run the way teams did in the Okoye and Word years.

jidar
10-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Just say NO to Martyball

Phobia
10-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Lord no, I don't want Martyball but I don't want cute either. Cute loses games like the Texans last year and Seahawks 3 years ago where Green throws a pick 6 in the redzone. Not good.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-22-2005, 02:23 PM
i have to commend myself, cause without me i would not be able to win day after day :)

DaWolf
10-22-2005, 04:08 PM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want this offense to turn into the f*cking Martyocre 3 yards and a cloud of dust bullshit. No thanks. The offense needs to be firing on all cylinders if we want to make the playoffs and have any chance of winning once we get there, and I have no problem at all with aggressive playcalling when we have a lead. That doesn't mean we need to continue spreading the field and going empty backfield (scratches head at that), but never, ever abandon the passing game. F*ck that conservative bullshit. The goal needs to be offensive balance, not swinging from extreme to extreme.

And the Chargers, specifically, call for a passing attack. Their strength is rush defense, because of their front seven. Their pass defense, their secondary in particular, is what we can exploit.

I agree, but bottom line for me is that I don't really care as long as we do whatever it takes to control the clock and minimize the number of times our D has to take the field...

Crush
10-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I would like to commend the offensive line.

|Zach|
10-22-2005, 04:14 PM
There is just one thing I don't like...there were lots of times where we had setups like 2nd and 1 or 2nd and 2. We would rush for 2 or 3 and get the 1st down and thats great. But I think 2nd and 1 is a great time to go deep or do something more agressive. I believe in our offensive lines ability to get that 3rd and short if things don't pan out. Just something that struck me.

Calcountry
10-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Lord no, I don't want Martyball but I don't want cute either. Cute loses games like the Texans last year and Seahawks 3 years ago where Green throws a pick 6 in the redzone. Not good.That pick to Philly, to start their scoring, was a no backfield set, wasn't it?

beer bacon
10-22-2005, 04:30 PM

The OC needs to adapt to the game. Yesterday we were gaining 4+ yards when we ran on first down, and then were having no trouble converting 1st downs. On the other other hand we were having tons of trouble converting when we passed on 1st down. You do what is working. It isn't a matter of playcalling like Marty. It is a matter of continuing to move the ball, and getting touchdowns instead of FGs or punts.

philfree
10-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Once again, I have said it before, the pass opens up the run for us. If we didn't pass on first down with enough balance, they would just key on the run the way teams did in the Okoye and Word years.

I think we can do it either way but I agree about passing to set up the run.

Here's our 1st possession play by play:

Kansas City Chiefs at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:55) KAN MIA
1st and 10 at KC 20 (14:55) T.Green pass to P.Holmes pushed ob at KC 26 for 6 yards (C.Crowder).
2nd and 4 at KC 26 (14:31) E.Kennison right end to KC 27 for 1 yard (K.Traylor).
3rd and 3 at KC 27 (13:48) T.Green pass to M.Boerigter to KC 32 for 5 yards (S.Madison).
1st and 10 at KC 32 (13:05) T.Green pass to C.Horn to MIA 18 for 50 yards (T.Daniels; R.Howard).
1st and 10 at MIA 18 (12:19) P.Holmes up the middle to MIA 13 for 5 yards (C.Crowder).
2nd and 5 at MIA 13 (11:43) P.Holmes right end pushed ob at MIA 13 for no gain (Z.Thomas).
3rd and 5 at MIA 13 (11:10) T.Green pass to T.Gonzalez to MIA 5 for 8 yards (R.Howard).
1st and 5 at MIA 5 (10:34) P.Holmes left end for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 6 0
L.Tynes extra point is GOOD, Center-K.Gammon, Holder-D.Colquitt. 7

We opened up the game passing and getting the big play and that opened up the run because Miami had to respect our passing game. If they didn't we'd hang 50 points on'em.

PhilFree:arrow:

Count Alex's Losses
10-22-2005, 05:00 PM
No turnovers. Two wins. Coincidence?