PDA

View Full Version : The offense.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-22-2005, 12:15 PM
I've figured out the Chiefs struggles on offense.

When we run to set up the pass, we succeed. When we pass to set up the run, we sputter. DV and AS have to let it go...we are a run oriented, but yet balanced offense. Enough of the passing on almost every play, we don't have the talent at WR to do that, and even if we are facing inferior secondaries they know what's coming because we are being one-dimensional. When we run first, we are amazingly balanced on offense. It all comes together when we run first. When the running game is going, we don't even have to play-action, but we can, we can just drop back because the whole defense is on its heals. The running game sets up everything.

It took DV and AS almost a quarter and a half to figure this out. If Steve freakin' Tasker can figure this out fast, why can't DV and AS? Oh well, at least they did before we let them back in the game. That credit goes to the defense for giving DV and AS time to think (lol). This game would've been a blowout if we would've kept running to set up the pass. We are everything when we do that. A quick strike offense, a ball control offense, etc, you name it.

I'm hoping to see that the rest of the season.

Simplex3
10-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Amen brother.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-22-2005, 12:25 PM
true dat yo!

RINGLEADER
10-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Bingo.

That's why it's perfectly reasonable to criticize how Saunders has called certain games. You obviously game plan against the strength of the defense you're facing, but too often Al seems to get away from the run. When we commit to it we put up 200 yards and Trent converts on the middle and deep passes.

Very good observations VT...

keg in kc
10-22-2005, 12:41 PM
We passed to open up the run last night. Seemed to work pretty well.

The first drive:

Screen pass to Holmes (6 yards).
End around to Kennison (1 yard).
Pass to Boerigter (5 yards).
Pass to Horn (50 yards).
Holmes rush (5 yards).
Holmes rush (no gain).
Pass to Gonzo (8 yards).
Holmes rush (5 yard TD).

WestCoastReggie
10-22-2005, 12:42 PM
You know the defense should just get better. They took some huge steps last night. All they have to do is limit the mistakes.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-22-2005, 12:52 PM
We passed to open up the run last night. Seemed to work pretty well.

The first drive:

Screen pass to Holmes (6 yards).
End around to Kennison (1 yard).
Pass to Boerigter (5 yards).
Pass to Horn (50 yards).
Holmes rush (5 yards).
Holmes rush (no gain).
Pass to Gonzo (8 yards).
Holmes rush (5 yard TD).

We stopped running after that drive and went pass happy. That's a very balanced attack, the first drive, 4 runs, 4 passes--we kept them off-balanced. We stopped that after the first drive, but got going again with 4 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. Their D adjusted, then we them with our strength, running the ball first.

keg in kc
10-22-2005, 01:00 PM
We didn't stop running after that drive.

We went 3-and-out on the next series, but the 3rd series of the game, when LJ came in, we ran the ball.

LJ rush (9 yards)
LJ rush (5 yards)
Pass to Hall (9 yards)
LJ rush (6 yards - called back for holding)
Pass to Gonzo (12 yards)
LJ rush (5 yards)
Pass to Kennison (6 yards)
Incomplete - Intentional grounding
LJ rush (3 yards - that was the play I didn't get, running on 2nd and 20 - AS must've channeled Jimmy Raye)
Incomplete

I guess people want to run the ball on every down. No thanks. The next two series weren't very effective, but passing the ball probably helped to loosen their defense for LJ's drive in the 2nd quarter, and then the rest of the game.

We can't go all Marty.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-22-2005, 01:09 PM
We didn't stop running after that drive.

We went 3-and-out on the next series, but the 3rd series of the game, when LJ came in, we ran the ball.

LJ rush (9 yards)
LJ rush (5 yards)
Pass to Hall (9 yards)
LJ rush (6 yards - called back for holding)
Pass to Gonzo (12 yards)
LJ rush (5 yards)
Pass to Kennison (6 yards)
Incomplete - Intentional grounding
LJ rush (3 yards - that was the play I didn't get, running on 2nd and 20 - AS must've channeled Jimmy Raye)
Incomplete

I guess people want to run the ball on every down. No thanks. The next two series weren't very effective, but passing the ball probably helped to loosen their defense for LJ's drive in the 2nd quarter, and then the rest of the game.

We can't go all Marty.

I'm not saying go all Marty, you know me better than that.

I'm saying we should run first (our strength) then pass, it will balance out. We shouldn't run on every play, we should mix it up, but AS gets in trouble when he dreams back to the St. Louis days...we don't have that personnel on the Chiefs. Some games, it could be different. We could see mismatches in the secondary because they are weakest there, but we should never abandon the running game and go one-dimenisonal, which AS has done a lot. He preaches balance, but he doesn't always do it. I've seen games where the secondary we were going up against was WEAK. We do good early, but we try beating a dead horse and we get away from the running game. The defense adjusts and by the time DV and AS adjust, we have to fling it all over anyway because we are behind. Keep them on their heals, and we'll be fine.

keg in kc
10-22-2005, 01:14 PM
The fact of the matter is, we have to throw the ball some of the time on first down to keep the defense honest. If we don't, teams will just load the box.

And there's no guarantee that the run game would've done anything more in a particular 3-and-out series than the passing game did. There are times where we run the ball on 1st and second down, get nothing, throw short or incomplete on 3rd down and punt. Should we abandon the run when that happens? Of course not.

People talk like the running game is some automatic magic bullet, but the guys on defense are on scholarship, too. Sometimes they'll stop us. It's part of the game.

stevieray
10-22-2005, 01:18 PM
are you flipping this time, or flopping?

Chiefs Pantalones
10-22-2005, 01:32 PM
The fact of the matter is, we have to throw the ball some of the time on first down to keep the defense honest. If we don't, teams will just load the box.

And there's no guarantee that the run game would've done anything more in a particular 3-and-out series than the passing game did. There are times where we run the ball on 1st and second down, get nothing, throw short or incomplete on 3rd down and punt. Should we abandon the run when that happens? Of course not.

People talk like the running game is some automatic magic bullet, but the guys on defense are on scholarship, too. Sometimes they'll stop us. It's part of the game.

I don't think we'll win it everytime, that's not realistic. We'll win most of the time, because of the calibre of offense we are. I never said we should run all the time, btw.

the Talking Can
10-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I've figured out the Chiefs struggles on offense.

When we run to set up the pass, we succeed. When we pass to set up the run, we sputter. DV and AS have to let it go...we are a run oriented, but yet balanced offense. Enough of the passing on almost every play, we don't have the talent at WR to do that, and even if we are facing inferior secondaries they know what's coming because we are being one-dimensional. When we run first, we are amazingly balanced on offense. It all comes together when we run first. When the running game is going, we don't even have to play-action, but we can, we can just drop back because the whole defense is on its heals. The running game sets up everything.

It took DV and AS almost a quarter and a half to figure this out. If Steve freakin' Tasker can figure this out fast, why can't DV and AS? Oh well, at least they did before we let them back in the game. That credit goes to the defense for giving DV and AS time to think (lol). This game would've been a blowout if we would've kept running to set up the pass. We are everything when we do that. A quick strike offense, a ball control offense, etc, you name it.

I'm hoping to see that the rest of the season.

yup

it varies from game to game, but most of the time this formulation is right...